Non-threaded

Forums » Newbie Central » Read Thread

Introduce yourself and get to know the community.

This looks like a good place to settle

one year ago
I've been here about a month, gone through a handful of stories, and like what I see. My own writing experience has been primarily in sims. No, not the animated figures, but roll playing where you play/write a recurring character in an interactive setting. The entries are posted to a server for all to read. Or, more enjoyably, you co-author a "log" back and forth until you and your co-author think it is ready to submit. I've been co-GM for one sim that ran about 18 months and served as the inspiration for a prequel for a traditional novel with different characters in the same setting, co-authored with my fellow GM. (Sadly, unpublished and no longer timely).

But this is delightfully different. My only stumbling block is being over 80 I am not technically savvy. I used to think HTML stood for "hold the mayo and lettuce", so I will need to to do some learning before I start writing. Of course, being new, I want to do a lot more reading and exploring the site first.

Thanks for listening.

MAGALw12

one year ago
Oh hey, welcome!

We had a guy here in his 60s do some writing a few years back, but I think you just beat all the records. Although interactive fiction in general is a hobby that's been around for some decades so it's not unusual to see older enthusuasts, people that were into the Fighting Fantasy books or Zork and the like back in the day.

You don't actually NEED any coding knowledge to write a basic game. Endmaster has some pretty epic stories that don't use it at all. The advanced editor is capable of some pretty cool things, really I think there's a lot more people just into good writing over any of the bells and whistles.

Html is really only necessary for getting fancy with formatting, you could probably learn to do an italics tag and call it good, that's literally all I've ever used 95% of the time.

But enjoy the site, and if you have any specific questions about anything, just let us know.

one year ago

Welcome to the site, enjoy your time here!

one year ago

Welcome to the site.  While HTML and scripting can certainly help elevate a game, it isn't strictly required.  I am basing my first game off a short story I wrote a while back and I find having one plotline you already know all the way through is good to give you a good trunk to build branches off of.

one year ago

Welcome to the site, I think you're our first octogenarian. Congrats!

It seems like you have the right mindset, so just enjoy your stay!