Non-threaded

Forums » Reading Corner » Read Thread

Dust off a seat and discuss a good book here...you do read, right?

Cirque Du Freak

12 years ago

It's a new age vampire book. Even though it is new, it doesn't focus around sexy vampires or love stories. Its about a boy who sneaks out of his house to go to Cirque Du Freak with his best friend, and while he is there they see an act where a man plays the flute to control a spider. The protagonist (I can't remember his name, so I will refer to him as fluffles) is persuaded by his friend to go backstage to look at the spider some more. While they were down there, however, fluffles's friend is bitten by the spider, and the owner (who is another main character who's name I cant remember, so he shall be prospero) says that he can work out a deal for the antidote, the deal is for fluffles to become prospero's assitant and become a vampire. Now fluffles, being the good-hearted person that he is, agrees to exchange his life for his friend's. Prospero then turns fluffles into a vampire in a new way, by slitting both of their fingertips and pressing them together so blood is exchanged without leaving a heavily bleeding wound.

Fluffles and Prospero then go around having adventures and fighting in the vampire  wars between the vampires, who believe in not killing humans when they drink, and the vampaneze (I wish I made that name up, he legitimately chose that name) who kill when they drink, which has caused their skin to turn purple (didn't make that up either). As stupid as the vampaneze sound like, they provide a great storyline. Fluffles does actually fall in love with a girl he meets earlier in the storyline, but at the time, because he was bitten when he was sixteen and this series has vampires age one year to every human ten, he looks like a fifteen year old while she is a thrity year old, so it makes for a hilarious love story. Plus this dude is severly during his trials, and is left with no hair, and has been scarred during his epic battle scenes, so he is far from the gooey love vamps that you see elsewhere.

Cirque Du Freak

12 years ago

is severly burned during his trials*

Cirque Du Freak

12 years ago
I've read the first three books. The boy is called Darren Shan and the vampire is called Larten Crepesly. Might have misspelled that.

Cirque Du Freak

12 years ago

Oh yeah thanks. I have read them all. I forgot that he named the main character  after himself.

Cirque Du Freak

12 years ago
I really liked them. (At least, the ones I read.)

Cirque Du Freak

12 years ago

Great series, adds that little bit of horror that makes it great.

Cirque Du Freak

12 years ago
Liked the series at first, thought the ending went way off track. Like the author really wanted to write a different series now, but had a contract to write a certain number of books. Also, saw the whole Lord of the Vampaneze thing coming a mile away. As in, knew something like that was going to happen from the moment that character was introduced.

Cirque Du Freak

12 years ago
I thought the first book was good. Never got around to reading anymore through.

Cirque Du Freak

12 years ago

Yeah, he was obviously the bad guy, that was the only thing I didn't like about his character.

12 years ago
Well with this review I man not bother to read the other books.

12 years ago

Then don't, its your loss, well that and posting pointless comments.

Cirque Du Freak

12 years ago
jokes over.

Cirque Du Freak

12 years ago

This series is good until the last book. I strongly recommend that you don't read these books. They are amazing, then the last book just ruins the entire series. It literally makes the series not worth reading, plus the concepts and vocabulary are that of middle school reading. In fact, I would have laughed at these books in middle school haha.

Cirque Du Freak

12 years ago

Yea, I have no idea why he would willingly end his series that way.

"Oh, the villian dies. But the hero dies too! But then he doesn't die because his magic friend saves him! Ooh, ooh, and then it turns out that there are monsters from multiple dimensions trying to get into our dimension and Mr. Tiny is actually trying to keep them out! But wait, the hero isn't really lives, because he's reincarnated so he can save his old self,which dissolves himself in the process, so he dies and he lives!"

I was severely dissapointed in the last book.

Cirque Du Freak

12 years ago

The hero doesn't really live*

Cirque Du Freak

12 years ago
What ending would you have prefered? Anyone could probably come up with a more... satisfying? ending now if they thought about but I think Darren Shan decided on that ending because it solves the problem of the lord of the shadows and it makes it seem like the books could actually be real (obviously they're not but still) and maybe he couldn't resist a kind of happy ending. It would have been better if the monsters from the other demensions were mentioned earlier in the series so it wouldn't sound so much like a quick excuse but if it really was a quick excuse then there would be no way to change the earlier books.

Cirque Du Freak

12 years ago

All I can say is that I would have preferred a better ending, I'm not the writer of the story so it's not my responsibilty, and it's been a few years since I read the series, so I can't remember all of the details needed for a great ending. Simply saying "You come up with a better idea" isn't an actual argument, it's a challenge. I personally think he simply wrote himself into a hole due to the content of the previous books, and realized he needed to let it die quickly rather than draw it out.

And technically it never solved the problem, Darren (character) simply had a "Oh well, at least it's not happening me" mentality when he made himself not become the vampire prince.

And even though I'm ripping on the series here, I LOVED the series when I was reading it (Junior high era, at least), and I still think he did a good job untill the end, and a few of his moves were kind of predictable if you read a lot or had experience writing before.

Cirque Du Freak

12 years ago

happening to me*

Cirque Du Freak

12 years ago
I'm sorry if what I said sounded like an argument, I was just wondering how you would have liked it to end. You're right about it not really solving the problem but I think the witch (I can't remember her name) did something or was planning on doing something so there wouldn't be a war and the lord of the shadows thing wouldn't ever happen. I'm writing a CDF fanfic so I'll actually have to think of a good ending but it's a crossover so in a way I'm cheating. Have you read the Demonata series? It's also by Darren Shan.

Cirque Du Freak

12 years ago

I meant to, but never actually did. Is it any good? He's a pretty good horror writer, and I'd look forward to readin his next book.

Cirque Du Freak

12 years ago
Well, I haven't finished the series yet because I'm blind so I'm looking for the last books in audio or at least as ebooks and I haven't found them anywhere yet. The books that I have read are good. It's about demons and werewolves and mages and there's a lot more horror and gore than in CDF. The first book is called Lord Loss.

Cirque Du Freak

12 years ago

You're WHAT!?!!? Not that I'm prejudiced against blind people or anything; it's just, how can you read stuff?

Cirque Du Freak

12 years ago

Legally blind perhaps? But if that's not the case, I would really be interested in how you can read what turns up on the computer, or even your own typing. Do you have an audio program that says what's on the screen? I doubt that would be the case because it would read the entire thread, not just the one post you want to hear, so I'm out of ideas.

Cirque Du Freak

12 years ago
You're right about the program that tells me what's on the screen. It's a screenreader and this particular one is called jaws. It doesn't read the whole screen, only the line I'm on unless I use the read-all shortcut and it tells me what key I press so I know what I'm typing but I know how to type anyway so I don't really need it. I can search for a specific word on a page and go to it so I don't need to use the arrows like I searched for the word 'werewolves' because I remembered writing that in my last post and then I just had to scroll down to the replies. Sometimes I use my braillenote (a kind of laptop where I can type and read braille) but I can't click some of the buttons on this website for some reason so I just use my laptop. I actually found this site in a kind of online magazine for accessible games so there might be more visually impaired people here than you think.