Non-threaded

Forums » The Lounge » Read Thread

A place to sit back, hang out, and make monkey noises about anything you'd like.

Inspirational

12 years ago

“Impossible isn’t a word.”  -SJEKidd ☮

What is your inspirational saying?  Submit it in ths comments section.

Inspirational

12 years ago

Here is a Quote that my RP Character thought up.

"There is no chance, no destiny, no fate, that can circumvent or hinder or control the firm resolve of a determined soul..."

-From "Ner'Xul ShadowHeart"

Inspirational

12 years ago
"People are stupid; given proper motivation, almost anyone will believe almost anything. Because people are stupid, they will believe a lie because they want to believe it's true, or because they are afraid it might be true. People's heads are full of knowledge, facts, and beliefs, and most of it is false, yet they think it all true. People are stupid; they can only rarely tell the difference between a lie and the truth, and yet they are confident they can, and so are all the easier to fool."

Inspirational

12 years ago

wizards first rule, right?

Inspirational

12 years ago

"Everyone is a genius, but if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree it will live its life believeing its stupid." -Albert Einstein

Inspirational

12 years ago

Hah! That's what I was going to say!

Inspirational

12 years ago

"It's funny, what you find when you stop looking... and what you lose as well"

I guess this is on the opposite end of the "inspirational" spectrum. haha  Or maybe it doesn't, I dunno.

Inspirational

12 years ago
People on the internet who quote themselves or their friends, annoy me. A lot. If you honestly think that your friend can come up with a better quote than all of the great members of our race that have preceded us, then you're really, really shortsighted. And it's annoying.

Inspirational

12 years ago

Let me counter with a quote from the inimitable Me: "To deny the potential of one is to deny the potential of all."

Inspirational

12 years ago
Point in case.

Inspirational

12 years ago
Benjamin Franklin had friends; would it be short sighted and annoying for his friends to quote him? Of course I'm not saying I disagree with you, but let look at why things are quoted. Somehow when we assign a saying to a famous individual it becomes truer. It shouldn't matter who said it first, it should ring true, or false, regardless. Once I quoted Thomas Jefferson in a class debate. To summarize the response I received it was, "That's stupid." I countered by saying, "Really? Thomas Jefferson didn't think so. I was quoting him." Suddenly it wasn't so stupid anymore.

So what's the point? We quote famous people because by some phenomenon it makes what we are saying seem true. Yes, it is pointless and annoying to quote your friends, because your friends aren’t great philosophers. A quote is only effective when it is from a person who is accepted as a master in that field of thought. Most people are not friends with men of great magnitude, and if we are, then more than likely it will be many years before their quotes hold that phenomenal power.

Quotes from the “Great minds” of the past are powerful because arguing with one is the equivalent of saying, “I’m more intelligent than George Washington” While there have undoubtedly been greater men then George Washington, any living individual would be hard pressed to overshadow the larger than life hero history has painted him to be

Inspirational

12 years ago
"Benjamin Franklin had friends; would it be short sighted and annoying for his friends to quote him?"

Are you friends with Ben Franklin? I didn't say that every person who quotes his friends is an idiot, I said "People on the internet who quote themselves or their friends, annoy me."

Clearly if you are on the internet and you are friends with the Dalai Lama, then you should feel free to quote him.

"We quote famous people because by some phenomenon it makes what we are saying seem true."

I think we quote famous quotes because there's a reason they got famous.

Inspirational

12 years ago
JJJ, you just misconstrued the point he was trying to get across. Not even that good of a rebuttal.

Inspirational

12 years ago
Cool story bro, I love how well you supported your opinion with facts and examples. It shows that you really know what you're talking about. Thanks so much for the lovely contribution to the conversation. You're so amazing.

Inspirational

12 years ago
You know I almost feel like trolling and saying something like "Was that sarcasm?" but I wont.

I am not part of the debate I was just commenting on how you completely missed the point in the entire paragraph.

He was agreeing with you. Saying we should not quote people until they are respected. Also how saying who a quote is from almost always stops someone from arguing it because as ugilick put

"Quotes from the “Great minds” of the past are powerful because arguing with one is the equivalent of saying, “I’m more intelligent than George Washington”"

So there you go facts and examples.

Inspirational

12 years ago
You're part of a debate the moment you chime in like that, don't want a part, don't chime in, it's pretty simple. He was mostly agreeing with me, but he wasn't entirely agreeing with me. Saying: "It shouldn't matter who said it first, it should ring true, or false, regardless." is the context it was said in is the same as saying: "It shouldn't matter if you're quoting someone famous or someone you know since if the quote is good enough, it should ring true regardless" which is basically the opposite of what I was saying.

Inspirational

12 years ago
"Benjamin Franklin had friends; would it be short sighted and annoying for his friends to quote him?"

That was supposed to be a joke. I'm sorry it didn't come across that way.

I'm not being combative, I was agreeing with you. It seems you missed the point I was trying to make entirely.

“I think we quote famous quotes because there's a reason they got famous.”

I want a discussion not a debate. Quotes become famous because people like to use them. The reason people like to use them is that they are excellent tools. They are excellent tools because, arguing with one is the equivalent of saying, “I’m more intelligent than George Washington.”

Inspirational

12 years ago

No, no, Ugi, 3J's right. You should only quote people with reputations because A.) They're the only people that matter and B.) They're always right. To quote Endmaster ""LOLOLOLOLOLOLOL! ASSPLOSHUNS! AWSUM! LOLOLOL!", I think that says it all.

Inspirational

12 years ago
I honestly don't know how to reply to that.

Inspirational

12 years ago
You know, except for with, "LoL"

Inspirational

12 years ago
That didn't come off as a joke whatsoever, not even a little bit. That came off like the opening statement of a debate, considering that it's a direct counter to what I had just said.

Btw, the whole discussion vs debate false dichotomy is exactly that. The wikipedia article for discussion redirects to the article for debate.

"They are excellent tools because, arguing with one is the equivalent of saying, “I’m more intelligent than George Washington.”"

That's only true if it's from someone like George Washington. You can take quotes from authors and even unknown sources that have been passed through the generations. I don't have any issues with quoting personages without huge forces of personality, I just have issues with people quoting their friends on the internet. I think they're almost always really week and annoying

Inspirational

12 years ago
Discussion:
A talk between two or more people about a subject, usually to exchange ideas or reach a conclusion.

They are synonyms yes, but the difference is in a debate there are opponents and winners.

Actually that holds true even with largely unknown people as well. If the people who you are debating with don't know who that person is, then they run the risk of sounding foolish by saying so. Instead they are forced to accept the quote as viable, unless they are on the internet, which case a quick google search will solve their problem. In an argument if you come up with a particularly witty line, you can come up with a random name to assign it to and act like it is a quote. This is not something I promote, but in the short term, it is effective.

I would like to refer to my Thomas Jefferson example, not a soul cared about what I said until I attached a name greater than my own to it.

Inspirational

12 years ago
Discussion:
A conversation or debate about a certain topic.

I think you meant discourse haha.

Nah, if you're debating against someone with confidence issues, that's probably true, but anyone with enough confidence won't have any issues calling you on a quote they don't agree with, regardless of who said it.

With respect to the Thomas Jefferson quote, I'd say that the reason no one cared about your quote was likely just because you weren't supporting your argument well enough. A well supported argument doesn't require any quotes and if Jefferson was actually right (and his quote is applicable) then you should be able to make the argument without attaching his name to it. If you're only winning debates because you're attaching names to quotes, then you're probably not a very good debater and if you're debating against anyone who is, you'll probably get torn apart.

If someone names a quote and I don't believe their argument is sound, I don't care what name they attach to the quote. You can quote the Dalai Lama, it doesn't automatically make you right.

Anyway, you did a great job changing the topic.

I said: "People on the internet who quote themselves or their friends, annoy me. A lot. If you honestly think that your friend can come up with a better quote than all of the great members of our race that have preceded us, then you're really, really shortsighted. And it's annoying."

You Said: "We quote famous people because by some phenomenon it makes what we are saying seem true."

And I just don't agree with that. I quote famous people because they can say it better than I can. End of story. We weren't even talking about debates.

Inspirational

12 years ago
A: I debate very well. Not a well as I once did however. I no longer enjoy pointlessly bickering back and forth.

B: They didn't care because they were the majority. They didn't need to use logic to win. After that instance however, everyone wanted to be on my team when we debated. with the exception of this one girl I infuriated. Bo knows all about that. haha, good times, good times...

C: Forgive me 3J, I certainly failed in that regard. I use quotes for similar reasons. I read quotes by people like King Solomon daily. I quote him daily. I do this because he has better words then I do. I can definitely see your side of things on that point.

Inspirational

12 years ago
Well if your argument is based on debating people who don't care whether you make sense or not and only debate based on having numbers, and are basically looking at it like a popularity contest then I don't think you can consider it a very serious standpoint. If you're debating someone who's actually interested in gathering meaning from a debate, it's not going to go the same way.

As for C, I'm glad we can agree...

Inspirational

12 years ago
I know that, the example was just one instance.

Inspirational

12 years ago
lol, you chose an example that's not relevant and then I pointed that out and you say "I know that, the example was just one instance."

Inspirational

12 years ago
It was the first one to come to mind. Please, let's not start this crap again.

Inspirational

12 years ago

I'll spare you, haha.

Inspirational

12 years ago
"That didn't come off as a joke whatsoever, not even a little bit. That came off like the opening statement of a debate, considering that it's a direct counter to what I had just said."

I apologize, I thought the obsurdity of the statement would make that obviouse. I followed it up by saying that I agreed with you. I wasn't actually trying to counteract what you said at all.

Inspirational

12 years ago
absurdity* obvious* again, sorry.

Inspirational

12 years ago
That doesn't make any sense at all.

Person A says: Gravity is real!
Person B says: If gravity were real, I wouldn't be floating right now! Oh, but I agree with you.

Inspirational

12 years ago
It's called sarcasm. Yes, it makes sense. Someone says something you agree with, you say something opposed to it sarcastically, then you reasure them that you actually do agree with them. Your trying to make it not make sense because you are trying to "win"

Inspirational

12 years ago
"Benjamin Franklin had friends; would it be short sighted and annoying for his friends to quote him?" is not sarcasm.

Inspirational

12 years ago
You don't know me in real life. HAHAHA. I meant that sarcastically. I was short sighted to believe you would interpret it in that way.

Inspirational

12 years ago
You're no longer coherent.

Inspirational

12 years ago
I'm a very sarcastic person. Yes, that was sarcastic. How hard was that to understand?

Inspirational

12 years ago
...Don't answer that.

Just rest assure that I was being sarcastic with the Ben Franklin thing.

Inspirational

12 years ago
You're asking me to believe that you asked a question like that sarcastically and if that's the case, I think you're completely incoherent. I don't think that's the case though, I think you're now just making stuff up.

That, or you don't know what sarcasm is.

Inspirational

12 years ago
Your right, I have no idea what sarcasm is.

Inspirational

12 years ago
Well that definitely explains a lot.

Inspirational

12 years ago
HAha, I'm going to call it quits here. I am having a hard time believing that you can’t believe it was sarcasm. Sarcasm doesn't work well online though, so I guess it is reasonable.

Inspirational

12 years ago
The statement was a rhetorical question meant to make the point that Ben Franklin's friends would not be short sighted if they quoted him. How is that sarcasm?

Inspirational

12 years ago
Just pointing out Forum wars is a very accurate description of how JJJ debates.

Inspirational

12 years ago
OH! I see what you mean now, again, curse you internet, let me rewrite this.

You don't know me in real life. HAHAHA. I meant "Benjamin Franklin had friends; would it be short sighted and annoying for his friends to quote him?" sarcastically. I was short sighted to believe you would interpret it in that way.

Inspirational

12 years ago
The statement was a rhetorical question meant to make the point that Ben Franklin's friends would not be short sighted if they quoted him. How is that sarcasm?

Inspirational

12 years ago
Just don't read into it too much, it was a joke after all. It wasn't supposed to be a rhetorical question. It was just me being goofy. You can't see my body language or hear my tone. I'll be more careful in the future.

Inspirational

12 years ago
That's complete BS. It wasn't a joke, no one outside of maybe Cool would buy that that was a joke. There's nothing funny about it, it's not posed humorously, there's no contextual basis for humour and it doesn't even make sense if you try and paint it in a humorous light. Stop making things up.

Inspirational

12 years ago
And even if it was a joke (which it wasn't), it's still not sarcasm.

Inspirational

12 years ago
I'm going to have to politely disagree. It was a joke. That is all I have to say about that. I have been nothing but respectful from the very beginning and you have done nothing but insult me. I've been able to enjoy this up until now. Congratulations 3J my sanity is zero. I'm sorry for whatever the hell I did to offend you.

Inspirational

12 years ago
Feel free to politely disagree all you want, you're still wrong.

Inspirational

12 years ago
I'm sorry all mighty joke god, he who decrees what is and is not a joke.

Inspirational

12 years ago
Pretty logical reasons though, that make a lot of sense.

Inspirational

12 years ago
Surpirsed you made it this long. My sanity reached zero way before yours did.

Inspirational

12 years ago
:D thanks, You just gave me a pretty good laugh. I always thought I had a pretty sturdy sanity. LOL

Inspirational

12 years ago
Indeed you do my friend. My sanity has been shaky since middle school but for some reason JJJ just presses on all the right points. Like I said before, He debates exactly like he does in the forum wars.

Inspirational

12 years ago
In forum wars its described as polite isn't it?

Inspirational

12 years ago
Not all the time. I see disregards and looks down on a lot through.

Inspirational

12 years ago
I think tactical insult should be added to his attacks. lol

Inspirational

12 years ago
Look at the burning question thread. I think I pissed him off. lol

Inspirational

12 years ago

I think he pissed you off more than you pissed him off.

Inspirational

12 years ago
I think its more of an endurance test. JJJ just keeps typing until people just literally give up.

Inspirational

12 years ago
Only time I've sensed JJJ get genuinely angry on the forums was usually when he was arguing with Flesh N Blood. I could be wrong though, but those always seem to get really heated.

Well that and when Anubis dropped out of a mafia game with important info, but that wasn't an argument.

Inspirational

12 years ago

Yeah, but remember that that was in like 2008 and there's a pretty big maturity gap (at least for me) between then and now, considering the age I was then and the age I am now.

Inspirational

12 years ago

The Man In The Hat from xkcd floated once. It was the time he shot lightning out of his hands. It was in a scientist's nightmare, but it was also real, because the Man In The Hat is awesome like that.

Inspirational

12 years ago

Returning to the original topic:

"don't pity the dead, pity the living, and above all those who live without love."

- Albus Dumbledore

Inspirational

12 years ago

Aww, I missed a debate :( I'm gonna bring up some topics I disagree or agree with and talk about them anyway (I'm on Ugi's side so it will be mostly 3J). Who knows, maybe I can get people to start debating again!

"Well if your argument is based on debating people who don't care whether you make sense or not and only debate based on having numbers, and are basically looking at it like a popularity contest then I don't think you can consider it a very serious standpoint" - 3J

YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSS!!! You just completely disproved Public Forum debate, which LD (my group) is constantly at ends with. I'm going to quote this :)

"Discussion:
A talk between two or more people about a subject, usually to exchange ideas or reach a conclusion.
They are synonyms yes, but the difference is in a debate there are opponents and winners." - Ugi

Actually, if they "reach a conclusion" by exchanging ideas (exactly in a conversation like this one) then it is done by making one side agree with the other side's beliefs. I'd
call that a win.

"Nah, if you're debating against someone with confidence issues, that's probably true, but anyone with enough confidence won't have any issues calling you on a quote they don't agree with, regardless of who said it." -3J
Completely false, bro. Calling someone's quote false has to due with finesse and facts in debate, not with confidence. Hell, even now when scientists see those other scientists break the speed of light in Geneva, they are quick to say 'Oh no, it didn't break the speed of light because Einstein said it couldn't be broken' and that argument carries a huge amount of weight among the scientific community. It's not because the majority of the scientific community lacks confidence, it's because Einstein is a weighty name.

"With respect to the Thomas Jefferson quote, I'd say that the reason no one cared about your quote was likely just because you weren't supporting your argument well enough. A well supported argument doesn't require any quotes and if Jefferson was actually right (and his quote is applicable) then you should be able to make the argument without attaching his name to it."-3J

Also completely false. It seems like you're arguing about an ideal society, and Ugi is debating about what happens with real people. Real people are swayed by names, plain and simple. For example, I could sit here and point out some problems with String Theory, but if Stephen Hawking sat there and typed that String Theory was correct, guess who the people would support?

"I use quotes for similar reasons. I read quotes by people like King Solomon daily. I quote him daily. I do this because he has better words then I do." -Ugi

You may think he's kidding, he's not. We were talking about if taxes were justified, I brought up the fact that if you pay Walmart for a good or service (like milk for instance) then you pay your country for goods and services as well (like army protection.). He brought up King Solomon.

"You're asking me to believe that you asked a question like that sarcastically and if that's the case, I think you're completely incoherent. I don't think that's the case though, I think you're now just making stuff up.

That, or you don't know what sarcasm is." -3J

A few things:

1.) You understand both the question and the fact that he says it's sarcastic, but when he says that his question is sarcastic again it's suddenly incoherent? I'm not quite sure you know what incoherent means.

2.) The internet can't convey sarcasm, I can picture him saying a question and being sarcastic about it, I do it all the time to make fun of people who ask stupid questions.

3.) If he thinks it's sarcam, and I think it's sarcasm, and you don't think it's sarcasm, then I think it may be you that doesn't know what sarcasm is.

"Look at the burning question thread. I think I pissed him off. " - Cool

I don't think 3J gets mad during debates all the time, and even at times when I can't reach any other conclusion than "he said that because he was mad" I would just list it as slightly irritated. Just the way he poses his points, with his condescension and personal insults, makes him seem angry when he really just uses a dickish debate style.

Inspirational

12 years ago
Just for the record, the whole "Asspolsions lol." line that Bo posted was when I was imitating (or more accurately making fun of) Awesome at the time.

It wouldn't really be something I'd normally post.

Inspirational

12 years ago

I remember, I just remembered it because it was awesome and I posted it to say, in an off-handed way, that just because a quote has a weighty name behind, it doesn't mean it's important.

Inspirational

12 years ago

Bold is me.

"Completely false, bro. Calling someone's quote false has to due with finesse and facts in debate, not with confidence. Hell, even now when scientists see those other scientists break the speed of light in Geneva, they are quick to say 'Oh no, it didn't break the speed of light because Einstein said it couldn't be broken' and that argument carries a huge amount of weight among the scientific community. It's not because the majority of the scientific community lacks confidence, it's because Einstein is a weighty name." - Bo

Ugilick said that we use weighty quotes to win debates because no one will argue with you once you use it.

I said that only someone lacking confidence would do so.

"Calling someone's quote false has to due with finesse and facts in debate, not with confidence."

Calling someone's quote false has to do with whether or not you
A) Believe the quote is false
B) Have the confidence to argue it

Succeeding in proving it might have to do with a million other things, but like usual, you completely missed the point.

***THIS LINE OF ARGUMENT IS ERRONEOUS TO THE ORIGINAL POINT OF DEBATE (people shouldn't quote their friends)***

"Also completely false. It seems like you're arguing about an ideal society, and Ugi is debating about what happens with real people. Real people are swayed by names, plain and simple. For example, I could sit here and point out some problems with String Theory, but if Stephen Hawking sat there and typed that String Theory was correct, guess who the people would support?"

Ugilick: No one agreed with me until I brought Jefferson into it.
3J: Maybe that's because you're not arguing well enough
Bo: Real People are influenced by quotes, you're talking about an ideal society, if I was arguing against Stephen Hawking, people would think that I was wrong.

What the fuck are you on about? That's about as non-sequitur as you can possibly get.

Also, ***THIS LINE OF ARGUMENT IS ERRONEOUS TO THE ORIGINAL POINT OF DEBATE (people shouldn't quote their friends)***

"1.) You understand both the question and the fact that he says it's sarcastic, but when he says that his question is sarcastic again it's suddenly incoherent? I'm not quite sure you know what incoherent means.
2.) The internet can't convey sarcasm, I can picture him saying a question and being sarcastic about it, I do it all the time to make fun of people who ask stupid questions.
3.) If he thinks it's sarcam, and I think it's sarcasm, and you don't think it's sarcasm, then I think it may be you that doesn't know what sarcasm is."

The question was:

Do you not understand that for that to be sarcastic, he'd have to be saying that Ben Franklin's friends would be short sighted if they quoted him? Do you think that's what he's saying, Bo? Are you a complete moron?

Inspirational

12 years ago
Get off your high horse and quit acting like your some kind of god.

Inspirational

12 years ago
Let me respond to your post with an equally useful argument: you're*

Inspirational

12 years ago

I don't think it was an argument, 3J, it was a statement. He's right, whenever you try and debate you act like you're extremely smart and your opponent is a complete idiot, it's no way to debate... at least not respectfully.

Inspirational

12 years ago
That's because my opponents continue to make idiotic arguments over and over and over, in the same fashion without addressing anything I'm saying, relentlessly. You ever seen me debate someone who doesn't continuously do that?

Inspirational

12 years ago
You could argue that is what a debate really is. The persons ideas going against yours to sway popular opinion towards your favor. You can rebuttal someone addressing there concerns then restating your argument but the point is, is that you are restating your argument.

Just because someone keeps using the same point doesn't make them an idiot. They just feel you have not given them a reason to change there argument in any way.

Inspirational

12 years ago

1st paragraph: I'm not trying to sway public favor, I know that most people on this site respond to logic, so I use logic to rebut his arguments. If people go in my favor, then that's because they see the logic.

2cnd paragraph: Hit the nail on the head with that one.

Inspirational

12 years ago
Not really trying to start another debate. My statement meant most debates in general, are about swaying public opinion on you or your ideas. You are doing that right now but in a different way. By making your statements more logical the community as a whole supports you more. Thus, swaying opinion in you favor.

I believe my statement holds true.

Inspirational

12 years ago

Hmm, from what I've seen I've done nothing but adress what you say, same as Ugi only his was more on teh defensive.

After almost every debate you've been on results in what you say are idiotic arguments that don't adress your arguments that "Maybe it's just me?". A negative outlook can influence a lot, you know.

Inspirational

12 years ago
Nah, all debates are with the same people around here, not all debates I partake in general with the same people. If it was my outlook, I'd see the same patterns with people who actually know what they're doing, but I don't see that. I see civil and non-frustrating debates there and I see excruciatingly slow and ridiculous debates here.

Inspirational

12 years ago

Yay, debate time! I'll take 3J's example and be bold.

"Ugilick said that we use weighty quotes to win debates because no one will argue with you once you use it.

I said that only someone lacking confidence would do so" - 3J

And I said that weighty quotes win debates because people decide who win debates, and as I said before people are influenced by weighty names. What Ugi is arguing is not the same thing as what I'm arguing. I support him because we are on the same side, but I have a different reason to be on that side. PS: Saying the same thing twice doesn't make it twice as true, go ahead and quote me on that :)

"Calling someone's quote false has to do with whether or not you

A) Believe the quote is false

B) Have the confidence to argue it

Succeeding in proving might have to do with a million other things, but like usual, you completely missed the point." -3J

Completely correct with that point, I missed it.

"The question was:

'Benjamin Franklin had friends; would it be short sighted and annoying for his friends to quote him?'

Do you not understand that for that to be sarcastic,he'd have to be saying that Ben Franklin's friends would be short sighted if they quoted him? Do you think that's what he's saying, Bo? Are you a complete moron?" - 3J

Oh 3J, 3J, 3J, I'm seeing a pattern here. You get upset you're losing a point, you insult. Let me break it down for you in the simplest way I know how.

Sarcasm: A sharply ironical taunt; sneering or cutting remark (dictionary.com)

The definition in itself shows that using sarcasm doesn't mean the "exact opposite" as your typical short-sighted logic tells us, but let's break it down further in case you try to call me on that, either with an actual argument or with another insult as you're so happy to use.

Irony: A manner of organizing a work so as to give full expression to contradictory or complementory impulses, attitudes, etc., especially as a means of indicating detachment from a subject, theme, or emotion.

Because he was being sarcastic, the definition of sarcasm is a sharply ironical taunt, and irony is a means of indicating detatchment from a subject, by saying he sarcastic about the question it means that he was detaching himself from the sort of person who ask that question. I use those kinds of sarcastic comments all the time, occasionally in the form of a question. Just because you have an improper grasp on sarcasm, it doesn't mean anyone who uses sarcasm or supports the use of sarcasm is a "complete moron".

And before you make a comment about how I call you short-sighted and yet I get on you for insulting people, I believe that when someone tries to debate respectfully, then the other person is completely disrespectful, then the respectful person has grounds to then become disrespectful in order to make it an equal playing field. To put it in Kindergarden terms "He started it!" :P

Inspirational

12 years ago
2 Bo JJJ 1

Just thought I keep track! ;-)

Inspirational

12 years ago

Your whole first paragraph is not in the vein of the argument at all. We're not debating why weighty quotes win debates. We were debating whether or not people would attack your quote if you attached a big name to it. I'm not going to attack your red herring.

"Oh 3J, 3J, 3J, I'm seeing a pattern here. You get upset you're losing a point, you insult. Let me break it down for you in the simplest way I know how.

Sarcasm: A sharply ironical taunt; sneering or cutting remark (dictionary.com)

The definition in itself shows that using sarcasm doesn't mean the "exact opposite" as your typical short-sighted logic tells us, but let's break it down further in case you try to call me on that, either with an actual argument or with another insult as you're so happy to use.

Irony: A manner of organizing a work so as to give full expression to contradictory or complementory impulses, attitudes, etc., especially as a means of indicating detachment from a subject, theme, or emotion.

Because he was being sarcastic, the definition of sarcasm is a sharply ironical taunt, and irony is a means of indicating detatchment from a subject, by saying he sarcastic about the question it means that he was detaching himself from the sort of person who ask that question. I use those kinds of sarcastic comments all the time, occasionally in the form of a question. Just because you have an improper grasp on sarcasm, it doesn't mean anyone who uses sarcasm or supports the use of sarcasm is a "complete moron".

And before you make a comment about how I call you short-sighted and yet I get on you for insulting people, I believe that when someone tries to debate respectfully, then the other person is completely disrespectful, then the respectful person has grounds to then become disrespectful in order to make it an equal playing field. To put it in Kindergarden terms "He started it!" :P"

No, that's not what it means at all. If he were being sarcastic, he would be detaching himself FROM THE SUBJECT, not from the sort of person who would ask the question. The subject of course, being the question itself. Were he being sarcastic, he would have mentioned the people who would ask that question, even in a minute way. Instead, he LEAD HIS WHOLE PARAGRAPH WITH THAT QUESTION RIGHT AFTER I MADE THE EXACT OPPOSITE POINT. He wasn't being sarcastic, and here's further proof: After I challenged him on it, he said it was "a joke". He said that because he was trying to paint a serious statement as a non-serious one because he realized it destroyed his argument. No one's believing that he asked that question sarcastically, that's ridiculous.

Inspirational

12 years ago

His first few sentences:

Benjamin Franklin had friends; would it be short sighted and annoying for his friends to quote him? Of course I'm not saying I disagree with you, but let look at why things are quoted. Somehow when we assign a saying to a famous individual it becomes truer. It shouldn't matter who said it first, it should ring true, or false, regardless. 

There is just NO chance that his first sentence is sarcastic. Read it in context.

Inspirational

12 years ago

I'm reading it in two contexts, One: the serious one you claim is real and Two: the humorous/sarcastic claims is real.

In yours, yup, it's serious. In Ugi's it starts out as a humorous statement about the topic, then moves in to a deeper explanation of what he believes.

Both ways work, but seeing as the guy who Wrote the Frickin' question says it's sarcastic, and an obvious critic who is very quick to insult people with almost no grounds in a debate says it's not, I'm gonna go with the author here.

Inspirational

12 years ago
"Both ways work, but seeing as the guy who Wrote the Frickin' question says it's sarcastic, and an obvious critic who is very quick to insult people with almost no grounds in a debate says it's not, I'm gonna go with the author here."

Ad Hominem logical fallacy at it's finest. You're wrong because you tend to do things this way!!

Inspirational

12 years ago
Also, saying: "Ugilick is right because he'd know because he said it!" is the exact same as saying: "Ugilick is incapable of lying."

Inspirational

12 years ago

"Your whole first paragraph is not in the vein of the argument at all. We're not debating why weighty quotes win debates. We were debating whether or not people would attack your quote if you attached a big name to it. I'm not going to attack your red herring." -3J

Red Herring? If I'm using that phrase correctly (I've only heard it used once before) it means something used to distract you from the point at hand, and that isn't the case at all. As I said before, what you and Ugilick are arguing is not neccesarily the same as what you and I are arguing. Same side, different arguments, you can't use the same rigid (some would say short-sighted) argument to adress both of them.

"No, that's not what it means at all. If he were being sarcastic, he would be detaching himself FROM THE SUBJECT, not from the sort of person who would ask the question. The subject of course, being the question itself. Were he being sarcastic, he would have mentioned the people who would ask that question, even in a minute way. Instead, he LEAD HIS WHOLE PARAGRAPH WITH THAT QUESTION RIGHT AFTER I MADE THE EXACT OPPOSITE POINT."

Mmhmm, mmhmm, and so you think that the entire question, which is where your confusion lies. Time to break it down again:

Subject: The noun, noun phrase, or pronoun in a sentence or clause that denotes the doer of the action or what is described by the predicate. (Thefreedictionary.com)

Follow along with me here, if you would. The question is denoting (please don't make be provide a definition) the type of person asking tbe question, and so that is where the sarcasm is being directing. (They don't call me the "Grammar Nazi" for nothin').

Moving on, because of the position of his question, and the fact that you made a point beforehand, it clearly cannot be sarcastic? Have I called you short-sighted yet?

"He wasn't being sarcastic, and here's further proof: After I challenged him on it, he said it was "a joke". He said that because he was trying to paint a serious statement as a non-serious one because he realized it destroyed his argument. No one's believing that he asked that question sarcastically, that's ridiculous." - 3J

Time to make my list:

1.) So you don't think sarcasm is used in a humorous manner like in a joke? I do, that's the only time I use sarcasm. If he was joking around (I believe I saw him use the phrase "goofing around"), I would guess that he's using the sarcasm in a humorous manner, which I believe constitutes a joke.

2.) So he's trying to act like the statement is something altogether different from what it really is because he lost the argument? Looks like I finally get to use sub-points! A.) Ugi never saw his question as an argument, so why would he be arguing anything in teh first place. It is your highly confrontational/competitive nature that declared it a debate, not Ugi himself. B.) It's weird, you're giving Ugi both too much and too little credit at the same time. you act like he can't debate and that he isn't confident (Which if you knew the guy at all you would know it was completely untrue), and yet at the same time you say he can think on the fly and "paint his ... statement" when he fears defeat. Sounds like a bit of a contradiction you made when trying to come out on top...

3.) Well, I believe it's sarcastic, Ugi believes it's sarcastic, as I don't believe anyone else offered their opinion that would make it 2 vs. 1, which would mean that you're the only one who doesn't believe it. Weird, I think we have different definitions of the phrase "no one", would you like me to define that to? And yes, that was a sarcastic question used in a humorous manner, *Gasp* whaddaya know, it is possible :P

Inspirational

12 years ago
I thought my agreement was clearly stated but you can now say 3 to 1.

Inspirational

12 years ago
***Red Herring? If I'm using that phrase correctly (I've only heard it used once before) it means something used to distract you from the point at hand, and that isn't the case at all. As I said before, what you and Ugilick are arguing is not neccesarily the same as what you and I are arguing. Same side, different arguments, you can't use the same rigid (some would say short-sighted) argument to adress both of them.***

Based on the fact that you're making an argument about something complete aside from the point, I don't see what else it could be.

***the rest of your ridiculous post***

You're arguing ridiculous semantics that have nothing to do with the point at hand.

1. Calling something a joke and calling something semantics are not necessarily the same thing and saying that sarcasm can only be used in a humorous manner is so stupid. Think about it, someone messes up in a sport and someone else says: "Man, you're really good." That's an insult and it's not necessarily funny.

2. I never said he isn't confident. You're putting words where they weren't spoken, perhaps you should reread what was said. I also never asserted that it would take any thinking on the fly to go back and say something was a joke when it wasn't, that screams of stubborn annoyingness and desperate immaturity.

3. I don't care how many of you and your friends think it's a sarcastic joke. It wasn't. Any sane person would agree. No one would look at that first statement and think: "Damn, that's a real nice joke he threw in there" or anything of the like. It was a rhetorical question meant to make a point which doesn't make sense. A point which you haven't even addressed yet either, which is pretty funny.

Inspirational

12 years ago

I'm supporting JJJ on this one. Usually I wouldn't care whether Ugi was being sarcastic in his post or not, but JJJ's made some pretty compelling arguments here and so far you have all failed to "win" this argument.

JJJ called your post a red herring because it was straying from what he was arguing. I'm not you, so I can't say whether you were doing that intentionally or not, but what you are trying to argue is not relevant to JJJ's contention. Here's how I saw things play out (some of it is paraphrasing):

JJJ: Ugilick said that we use weighty quotes to win debates because no one will argue with you once you use it. I said that only somebody lacking confidence would do so. (In other words, JJJ is distancing himself from your post, explaining that what you said is not what he is arguing.)
Bo:
What Ugi is arguing is not the same thing as what I'm arguing. (More or less stating the obvious.)
JJJ: That isn't in the vein of the argument. We're not debating what you just said, we were debating whether or not people would attack your quotes if you attached a big name to it. I'm not going to attack your red herring. (JJJ outlining that what you are trying to put forward is not what he is debating.)
Bo: What I'm arguing is not the same as what Ugi is arguing.

We understand that you and Ugilick are arguing different points, but JJJ has chosen not to argue against you on this point. Saying "we're arguing different things" isn't conveying any new information. He has acknowledged that it is not what he is debating and moved on (or tried to, rather).

JJJ has answered the other aspects of your post, I was more or less clarifying what he was trying to say with that red herring comment (and the ones before it).

Inspirational

12 years ago
Repost:

Also, saying: "Ugilick is right because he'd know because he said it!" is the exact same as saying: "Ugilick is incapable of lying."

Inspirational

12 years ago

Its suprisingly fun watching how all this progresses.

Inspirational

12 years ago
3J, I joined this site almost a year ago. At that time you were humble, down to earth, and ultimately one of the coolest people I've ever met, online or otherwise. However, somehow you have become a warmongering troll. What is worse is that you are a troll that honestly believes he is right. I sincerely hope that another admin logs on and reads this.

Inspirational

12 years ago

Haha, almost all of my debates with 3J have been like this, where have you been?

Inspirational

12 years ago
Preparing for tommorrow. I apreciate all the effort you went through, this is one of the first times we have both been on the same side of a forum debate.

Inspirational

12 years ago
I notice that this side of JJJ comes out when he is not winning. It is a trend that is shown in several debates. I think it is his personality. Or maybe just the fact that the computer has no tone.

Inspirational

12 years ago
lol, Bo, you're too funny. When we're not debating, you say things like: "Oh, 3J is the best debater on the site, try debating him, it's impossible to win bla bla bla" and when we are, it's all trash talking. Cool, you're not even worth addressing since you have no idea what's going on, ever.

Inspirational

12 years ago
I am not even debating. Stop trying to bring me in to the argument. Also, JJJ I have some things to get off my chest.

Just because your the only admin left. DOES NOT give you a license to be a dick to everyone. It is sad that apparently you think it does.

I have no idea what is going on in your real life, or if it is effecting your choices here. Quite frankly, I don't even care. You need to stop insulting people or the time.

Inspirational

12 years ago
Just stop, Cool. If you don't want a place in an argument, stop going around posting blatantly antagonist posts like: "2 to 1 for Bo" or "Now it's 3 to 1." That's annoying and provocative and you've got all of the flak that's coming to you when you do that.

Also, stop jumping to random conclusions. It's really annoying. I'm not being a dick to everyone, I haven't been a dick to everyone and it has nothing to do with anything you're talking about. I have no idea where you've reached those conclusions but that's slanderous and ridiculous.

Inspirational

12 years ago

Trash talking that you start :) We both put in good points and tear down good points, then talk down to each other at the same time. I'd put it in at about a third of the argument.

Oh yeah, stop putting Cool down. He helps with the site and occasionally he has a good idea.

Inspirational

12 years ago
The three of you sit there and make negative comments about me and then I return the favor and your response is always: stop doing that!!! Which is hilarious. If Cool is going to antagonize, then hes going to get what's coming to him, it's pretty simple.

Inspirational

12 years ago

No, what happens is, we debate, you insult. I insult back (I can't remember if Ugi did), then Cool shows his support for my side. No doubt, he was antagonistic, but you basically just called him a worthless pile of crap by not only saying that he "never knows what he's talking about, ever", but then refusing to allow him to participate in the debate.

3J, you're the steward here, and you've done a great job. However, if you're gonna try and make mudslinging a huge part of your debate, then act like you're being victimized when people react negatively to it, then that's just rediculous. I would expect you to approach things with just a little more maturity than that.

Inspirational

12 years ago
"No doubt, he was antagonistic, but you basically just called him a worthless pile of crap by not only saying that he "never knows what he's talking about, ever", but then refusing to allow him to participate in the debate."

1. He was antagonistic, I attacked back. Where's the issue there? Seems like that makes sense.

2. He said he didn't want to be part of the debate. I said, multiple times, that he was part of the debate.

3. I never said I was victimized, the only time I mentioned you guys attacking me was when you tried to paint me as the bad-guy.

What are you talking about?

Inspirational

12 years ago
While this contradicts my statement (as you have clear pointed out in other threads).

JJJ at this point your argument is nothing but vindictive and a sign of immaturity. I have been staying away from this thread because its basically become a pissing but I feel a need to response to this message.

So by your logic. If someone is antagonistic then its ok insult them in a public forum and try to discredit them. That is similar to saying if I bump you in a hallway that gives you a reason to punch me in the face (This is an exaggeration because apparently everything we say is being over analyzed there is a need to clarify.)

You have the right to your negative comments and I have the right to mine but do you honestly need to insult my intelligence? Is that the best you can come up with, because honestly I can bring many examples of you agreeing with me or thinking my points vaild. So if I "Never know whats going on,ever." then how can you agree with me sometimes? Oh, I get it your calling yourself a fool as well.

Inspirational

12 years ago
"That is similar to saying if I bump you in a hallway that gives you a reason to punch me in the face"

That's ridiculous. If you bump me in a hallway, and you do it on purpose (are antagonistic), then it wouldn't be outrageous to see a fight develop, but the situations aren't analogous because the levels of severity are more different. In this case, you were antagonistic in a thread and I retorted. Seems fair to me.

"This is an exaggeration because apparently everything we say is being over analyzed there is a need to clarify."

It's a debate. Nuff said.

"You have the right to your negative comments and I have the right to mine but do you honestly need to insult my intelligence? Is that the best you can come up with, because honestly I can bring many examples of you agreeing with me or thinking my points vaild. So if I "Never know whats going on,ever." then how can you agree with me sometimes? Oh, I get it your calling yourself a fool as well."

Yeah, maybe it was a bit far, I'll admit that and try to keep it less personal but if you're not prepared for something like that, you really shouldn't antagonize people like you do.

Inspirational

12 years ago
"If you bump me in a hallway, and you do it on purpose (are antagonistic), then it wouldn't be outrageous to see a fight develop"

Wow, don't know where you grew up but in my school even if you do that, the worse you see is an exchange of insults.

"Yeah, maybe it was a bit far, I'll admit that and try to keep it less personal but if you're not prepared for something like that, you really shouldn't antagonize people like you do."

I may have been antagonizing but not nearly as bad as you make it out to be. I am prepared for it and I really don't care what you say but that comment needed some form of retaliation. Which I did by calling you a fool and asking if "That's the best you can do?" Trust me I never asked you to stop. I just retaliated.

Inspirational

12 years ago
lol, this whole argument has been about you guys asking me to lay off the insults.

Inspirational

12 years ago
Actually no my argument was you went a little overboard. Which you agree with. I never actually said to stop insulting people. I was also insulting you right back.

Like I said you have a right to insult me like I can you. I was just surprised by your statement as it seemed to leave you wide open for a insult right back.

Inspirational

12 years ago
lol, if that's really what you're trying to say, then you're fair game and I'm cool with that.

Inspirational

12 years ago
pissing contest*

Inspirational

12 years ago

Wait a second, JJJ-thebanisher is a troll?

Inspirational

12 years ago

No...

We've all discussed this before, but a person is only a troll if the purpose of them arguing with you is to get you made at them or just mad in general. This is not why JJJ debated/argued with people, therefore he is not a troll.

It doesn't matter if you're mad or annoyed with him, it matters if that was his intention or not.

So short of him coming in and going "Ha I made you all really mad, just as planned", he's not a troll.

Inspirational

12 years ago

So, I'm just gonna weigh in here a little bit.

1) "The persons ideas going against yours to sway popular opinion towards your favor."

False.  People do not decide who wins arguements.  I know this is outside of the convention of debate teams, etc, but I'm talking about reality - proving a questionable statement to be true.  Not catering to biases and stupidities of people.  People do not know correct hypothetical syllogism.  They do not recognize constructive and destructive dilemmas.  They cannot tell when you've accidentally applied a rule, missed the point, attacked a straw man, or established a false analogy.  They do not know why statements in arguments exist for the reasons they do.  Rather, they are persuaded by the very fallacies that make such arguments... well, just that:  False.  Bad.  Unsuccessful.  People do not recognize the stronger arguments.  No, it is the job the active participants to establish valid arguments with true premises, such that the conclusion follows with necessity or probability.  We may never know whether the death penalty or affirmative action ought to be instated or abolished.  We may never really know what lines governments can and cannot cross in order to enhance the freedoms of most or protect its citizens.  All we have are our beliefs and the reasons for believing them to be true.  If your reasons for believing anything is true do not stand to scrutiny, then there is something to be said about your belief.  For this, we use obviously true statements (not public opinion) to support our moral, intellectual, circumstantial, etc, beliefs that take the form of questionable statements.

There, now that I've ranted off about... haha.  I actually found most of this thread to be pretty funny.  But I'll just cover some of these things in general, pointing stuff out here and there that may've been lost in the whole debate, because a lot was said.

2) Insults

Insults do not make an argument weak, flawed, or otherwise.  Addressing them in the context of a debate such as this simply detracts from the arguments and opens up an entirely new discussion.  Namely, their purpose, their usefulness (or lack thereof), and blah blah.  If you want to have the discussion, no one's trying to stop you.  But it's important to recognize that they in no way change an argument's meaning or validity, nor do they make one's premises any less true.  While I don't believe anyone really tried to discredit JJJ for his use of invective statements (besides Bo, I believe it was, in conjunction with "Ugi's the author"), certainly a lot of attention was given to the fact.  Which, again, if you want to have that conversation, it's fine.  But it bares no weight in the matter at hand.  And it is especially bad, on the part of he who addresses the insults, when he addresses them only.  Although, again, I don't think I saw that happen here.

My personal opinion: Frustration.  I get frustrated all the time in situations like these.  And though I personally try to minimize it to snide, tongue-in-cheek remarks, that's just how I do. haha

3) Sarcasm

It's true that sarcasm is not portrayed well via internet forums.  However, once a statement is made ("Franklin had friends..."), all one has now in trying to prove the absence or existence of sarcasm is what he can argue.  What are your reasons for believing what you believe? 

Random point, 'cause I remember it from the insults thing: "The guy who wrote it said this" is not a relevant argument, when the guy who said it is in a position to gain favorability (or what have you) if he can be proven right.  I understand the reasoning, however.  The fact that he said it lends Ethos to the argument for sarcasm; however, the idea that he stands to gain (in the context that JJJ pointed out - i.e. to save face) strips him entirely of that very credibility.  So, you can base an argument on this, but that argument would be visibly unsuccessful.  Note, I'm not necessarily saying you're conclusion is false.  I'm simply show how this particular argument fails

My personal opinion: It did not look like sarcasm or a joke in any sense when I read it.  I don't have enough reason to believe it absolutely wasn't, but rather that it probably wasn't.  What it looked like to me, honestly, was a counter example to JJJ's position, then mostly an affirmation of JJJ said (which actually seems to be where the sarcasm is located, but that's because our ideas of why famous quotes are "good" are totally different, and I guess you actually believe what you're saying) in the second and third paragraphs.

Given this, JJJ opened two lines of debate/discussion from Ugi's original post.  1) Paragraph one was not sarcasm (to which I agree, it does not look like sarcasm at all), and 2) your idea of why famous quotes are "good" is questionable.  He presents his own counter claim, and later argues in full.  I can see why he becomes frustrated. haha

4) Quotes

On this, I don't necessarily agree with anyone... At least, I think.  It's hard to tell with all that's been said.  I don't think a "good" quote has anything to do with who said it.  If Thomas Jefferson said "even the smallest of penises can satisfy a Hamiltonian," I don't think it would matter how famous or brilliant he was.  Likewise, I've heard things from people who aren't famous that I find rather inspiration or all around "good."  There certainly haven't been very many, but I'm not beyond the idea that a layman can produce inspirational words with poetic resonance.  At the risk of pulling a NeverMind, like she did up there, haha, one of the following is from me.  I don't think it's the best, by any means, but I also don't think it's the "worst," or least good.  If you've read some of my stuff I've posted in the past, you'll immediately recognize my words - or if you recognize some of the others - or you google them - or mine is clearly the shittiest arrangement of sounds, and my conceited self just can't see it. haha  All possibilities.  In any case, my attempt to hide it among these other more famous ones to present a point would then be an utter failure. haha

A) "This is Hell; nor am I out of it"

B) "The hell to be endured hereafter, of which theology tells,
is no worse than the hell we make for ourselves
in this world by habitually fashioning our characters
in the wrong way.
"

C) "If you're going through Hell, keep going"

D) "We don't want to make out peace
Just breathe forever and never leave
No, not this place we've made ourselves
Not this Hell we're used to"

E) "When I die, I hope to go to Heaven, whatever the Hell that is."

Certainly all quotes should be read in the context they were given, but good enough, yo.

Anyway, that's how I see things.  I'm gonna do my homework now. haha

Oh, and how could I forget: "Impossible" is a fuckin' word.

Inspirational

12 years ago
Sans Googling, I have a pretty good idea of which quote is yours. I want to applaud two things in particular about your post:

A) Crystalline clarity like usual.
B) You addressed the entire teetering argument and actually managed to bring it back to the original point, which was: "Is quoting your friends acceptable?"

My original standpoint was that it's really annoying, I think I still stand by that for the most part.

Here's my thinking (and I'm interested to see what you say): Most (statistically, probably all if they're simple) clever/inspirational/beautiful/powerful/extraordinary truistic statements that you might concoct have already been discovered by someone else, prior to you discovering them. If a quote exists that covers your truism (and one probably does) then it's likely that since you could find it (it's famous), it says it better than you can. Sorry for all the brackets, haha. If that quote, which you found, managed to survive the test of time where all of its peers failed, it's likely the best way to convey the message.

There are exceptions and if you have an exceptional eye for a beautiful quote (which Zero, you seem to have), then by all means, quote it, no matter who it's from.

My revised position: MOST PEOPLE shouldn't quote themselves or their friends.

Inspirational

12 years ago
(Ben Franklin's friends could quote Ben Franklin, Ugilick ;) )

Inspirational

12 years ago

I actually find it pretty annoying most of the time, as well. haha  But that's usually because the things people say (ie "impossible isn't a word") are usually far more retarded than inspirational.

And I agree.  It was in my junior year in high school when I came to the realization that nothing I can ever come up with, with regard to philosophical insight and such, will ever be 100% original.  The things I will come up with, more than likely, have already been said before, and far more eloquently. haha  This was, of course, a sad realization, but I have no reason to believe otherwise. 

I mean, Thoreau's on Civil Disobedience, Emerson's idea of genius and drill, practically all of Mill's On Liberty, were all ideas I had far before I was introduced to these authors.  I was proud of those ideas and beliefs.  But I realized that, although I came up with them on my own, they weren't "mine."  That said, they're not necessarily Mill's or Thoreau's either.  It just so happened that they came up with them on their own as well as were kickass writers/philosophers, so the fleshed it out better than anyone ever could.  So, if I was going to debate the merits of Liberalism/Libertarianism, I'd be more inclined to quote Mill's arguments than to try to just "start from scratch," if he will, because that dude can say it way better than I can. haha

Inspirational

12 years ago
Yeah, I mean, go up and down your facebook news feed and note every single philosophical notion that's written but not quoted. You get shit like (and these are direct quotes):

"Those who don't care shouldn't be"
"Were just thoughtful animals, thinking and conceeving but not actually doin anything special"
"Your words don't mean shit if your actions contradict" (okay... so pretty sure that's a quote but for fucks sake, it doesn't even rhyme well..)

Those people need to read some Thoreau, Mill and Emerson.

------------

"The things I will come up with, more than likely, have already been said before, and far more eloquently. haha This was, of course, a sad realization, but I have no reason to believe otherwise."

------------

I think my first reaction was sad too, but now I sorta just find it comforting. I don't think I really need to be the first one to think/say something, I think I'm just as happy choosing (what I believe to be) the best things to say/think. I mean, there's about an infinite array of things to believe, choosing the best of them takes about as much talent/creativity/thought as coming up with something original, at least in my books.

Inspirational

12 years ago

No doubt! haha  I actually think the first one is a quote... but a misquote. haha  Probably referring to the Alice in Chains song "Dirt."  The correct lyric being "One who doesn't care is one who shouldn't be," referring to himself on heroin.  The song isn't one of his lyrical masterpieces, haha, that's for sure.  And misquoted, as it probably was, it's just... bad. haha

And I agree.  I said it was a sad realization, but I guess I failed to mention my present view, being similar to yours.  Being that these ideas no one's in particular to "claim," they're for anyone who finds reason enough to hold them.  And there's certainly a great deal to be said about that, as you said. 

Inspirational

12 years ago

Haha, I just thought of this and couldn't not post it:

"You're always more likely to regret what you don't do than what you do-do..." ;)  You know, 'cause no one regrets a doo doo haha

Ahhh *Credibility Destroyed*

Inspirational

12 years ago
Yeah....

Inspirational

12 years ago

I'm still deciding whether or not it was worth it. haha

Inspirational

12 years ago

Alright, I'm willing to admit I lost the debate, I'm just gonna bring up some stuff that was said about myself (not saying anyone was trash-talking me beyond reason or anything), and then adress that.

"While I don't believe anyone really tried to discredit JJJ for his use of invective statements (besides Bo, I believe it was, in conjunction with "Ugi's the author")," - Zero

What "Ugi's the author" thing are we talking about. I might have debated it at one point but I honestly don't remember. I have nothing against creative put-downs, but "are you a complete moron?" gets me pretty pissed, especially when it's groundless seeing as I backed up all my grammatical arguments with legit definitions and facts, and he backed his up with vague statements and insults(not that I didn't throw an insult back) :P.

"You're putting words where they weren't spoken, perhaps you should reread what was said" - 3J

Not true, I read it fine, but perhaps our interperatations (I think I just butchered the spelling) were different. When you Ugi said that he wouldn't question a quote with a weighty name, and you said that if people don't question quotes because of names they lack confidence, I just added 1+1 and got 2. Well, either that or i completely misconstrued it and got 11, I've been known to do that occasionally. (this counts as something that was said about me because it means I didn't read)

"I don't care how many of you and your friends think it's a sarcastic joke. It wasn't. Any sane person would agree."

(This counts because I don't agree, and because he's saying that any sane person would agree and he knows i disagree then he's calling me insane). Well, I guess you'd just have to know the guy. Ugi can get pretty goofy with his sarcasm, but we've been really close since freshman year so I just picture him actually saying. I know that when I sound sarcastic I normally just sound like a dick, and Ugi said that if he didn't know the way I said he really would think I was a dick haha.

*insert October's list of paraphrases here* "We understand that you and Ugilick are arguing different points, but JJJ has chosen not to argue against you on this point. Saying "we're arguing different things" isn't conveying any new information. He has acknowledged that it is not what he is debating and moved on"

Actually, no. I was arguing one thing, if 3J wanted to end it at any time he could have said so, instead he argued it anyway. I actually stated that I was gonna be arguing something compeltely different, he used the same argument anyway, so I pointed out it wouldn't work. It wasn't my sole argument, and I don't think it's fair to say it was. Don't get me wrong, 3J made some great points, but I'm not exactly and idiot.

And Zero, gret job on that statement, btw. It's what convinced me I lost.

Inspirational

12 years ago

"Actually, no. I was arguing one thing, if 3J wanted to end it at any time he could have said so, instead he argued it anyway. I actually stated that I was gonna be arguing something compeltely different, he used the same argument anyway, so I pointed out it wouldn't work. It wasn't my sole argument, and I don't think it's fair to say it was. Don't get me wrong, 3J made some great points, but I'm not exactly and idiot."

I'm sorry but the placement of that error was just too funny to not bring up.

Inspirational

12 years ago

I was going to point that out as well haha (but as I'm currently discussing something with Bo I thought it'd be seen as rude to bring it up).

I have no doubt you're not an idiot Bo. You're extremely smart and could probably best me in most debates. I apologise if my post made it seem like I thought of you as an idiot. I was just trying to explain what JJJ was saying regarding the red herring in different words.

Inspirational

12 years ago

Yeah, because "I'm not going to argue that red herring" isn't wanting to end it at all.

He argued the other points because they were more relevant to Ugilick's argument (and whether or not he was being sarcastic earlier in the thread).

Inspirational

12 years ago

Bo, this is what I was referring to:

"Both ways work, but seeing as the guy who Wrote the Frickin' question says it's sarcastic, and an obvious critic who is very quick to insult people with almost no grounds in a debate says it's not, I'm gonna go with the author here."

Just figured I'd bring it up 'cause it was on my mind with all the "insults" comments.  And yeah, if they bother you... well, that's one thing I guess.  But it happens.  I can tell you really don't seem to be so preoccupied with it as others, though.  That seems pretty clear

Also: "When you Ugi said that he wouldn't question a quote with a weighty name, and you said that if people don't question quotes because of names they lack confidence..."  Yay, modus ponens. :p  Apart from that, I don't remember what was said, or where.  But I think there's a semantic issue with the way (at least) one of the premises was derived.  Sorta like the difference between "the dog barks" and "the dog is barking" - inadvertently switching one for the other would cause problems, leading to an unsuccessful argument... Otherwise, your reasoning was at least entirely valid. haha

Anyway, 'pprectiate it. haha  I wasn't aiming at making anyone "lose," I just wanted to weigh in a little bit.  Although, I got carried away, as I do, after writing up the whole thing against the idea that debates are won through the people's vote, or however it was worded.  There were a couple other points here and there that I came up with while reading it, but many were later addressed and other things were just left to float around, entirely unaddressed (if that's a word, haha), but I couldn't remember 'em too well. haha  I figured I'd written enough :p

Inspirational

12 years ago

Thanks for all these quotes.  They are awesome!

Inspirational

12 years ago

"Friends are like gems.  They sparkle and shine even at the end." -SJEKidd

Inspirational

12 years ago

Inspirational

12 years ago

"Friends are like gems--useless, and very much dead if they were ever alive." --NeverMind

Inspirational

12 years ago
Heh....very dark AND true..

Inspirational

12 years ago

Didn't you say at some point that you were gonna stop trolling, NM? haha

Inspirational

12 years ago

I was not trolling. Thank you.

Inspirational

12 years ago

Oh... So that's, like... okay then.  Kinda makes sense, now that I think of it. haha

Inspirational

12 years ago
Photobucket

Inspirational

12 years ago

Bo has passed judgement.  End of this.

Inspirational

12 years ago
Amen Bo, Amen.

Inspirational

12 years ago
Also, SJEKIDD's most recent quote is by far the worst.

Inspirational

12 years ago

Haha, I agree, it was pretty terrible.  Still, I think NM's was at least as bad. haha  Something about gems being useless and dead, if ever alive (and.. they weren't), just like friends apparently.  What friends?  And why are their lives in question? haha  It just sounds like a failed attempt to to turn Kidd's really poor arrangement of words into a depressed, worse arrangement of words.  Hence, the inescapable notion that trolling hath occurred. haha

Inspirational

12 years ago

Real heroes don't wear capes, real heroes wear dog tags.

Inspirational

12 years ago

If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving isn't for you.

BZ

Inspirational

12 years ago
If at first you don't succeed, next time use chloroform and rope.

Inspirational

12 years ago
Endmaster, do you watch the show Dexter? If you don't you need to. I'm certain you would like it.

Inspirational

12 years ago
If at first you don't succeed try again and if you fail a second time. Give up and go home. No need to embarrass yourself a third.

Inspirational

12 years ago
Bo has a quote like that on his profile page.

Inspirational

12 years ago

Also, ugilick, I'm going to watch Dexter when I grow up. It looks really cool.

Inspirational

12 years ago

Ah, I love Dexter! So behind on that show, I think the last episode I watched was from the 2nd season.

Inspirational

12 years ago
I'm glad you told me you are behind on it, I was about to start blabbing about how exciting season 4's ending was. haha

Inspirational

12 years ago

Haha, you can actually start blabbing if you like! I know its bad, but I ended up looking up wiki for the episode summaries (too lazy to watch but too curious to stay in the dark,lol). But one day...Dexter marathon

Inspirational

12 years ago

What's the show even about?

Inspirational

12 years ago

A serial killer. Who only kills other serial killers.

Inspirational

12 years ago

Wrong. haha  But close.

I really liked this last season, actually.  Kept me far more entertained than the last couple, which I didn't even care to watch after a while.  I'm just most curious as to how they'll start the next season, and if they don't just end up using some cop out to make it like nothing ever happened.  I'd find that would be thoroughly unsatisfying. haha

Inspirational

12 years ago
I know! I'm dying to see what's going to happen. I found myself trying to form theories and nothing I could think of was satisfying in the least.

Inspirational

12 years ago

Ahh, I had to look up what happened after reading these posts! Hmm...by any chance, did you guys read the books that the Dexter tv series is based on?

Inspirational

12 years ago

Noo! haha :p  That's not fun.  (the looking up the season part haha)

Didn't read the books either.  Buddy of mine told me they were really good though.

Inspirational

12 years ago

T-T Temptation got the better of me and having to watch through 30+ episodes to figure out your guys discussion was too much...

lol, I won't spoil them then :)

Inspirational

12 years ago

EndMaster, you are the most wonderful person I have ever met.

Inspirational

12 years ago

Actually, impossible is a word look it up in the dictionary :p

Inspirational

12 years ago

And anyway, isn't it supposed to be impossible ain't a word?

Inspirational

12 years ago

Get out.

Inspirational

12 years ago

Lol I was joking about one of her earlier posts.

Inspirational

12 years ago
I am an arrow that took a knee to the face!

Inspirational

12 years ago

If I see another one of those comments I'll put an arrow in your other knee. Wait arrows don't have knees.

Inspirational

12 years ago

"You are an insignificant speck of dust in the vastness of the universe. You are going to die and it will not matter." -NeverMind.

Inspirational

12 years ago
Go ahead, Nevermind, paraphrase Fight Club. Paraphrase it.

Inspirational

12 years ago

Lol, I was wondering why that quote sounded so familiar. Nice.

Inspirational

12 years ago
lol, she's paraphrasing Fight Club which is paraphrasing Nihilism.

Inspirational

12 years ago
The one I have always heard was:

I am one in a family of 10

in a city of thousands

in a planet of billions

in a galaxy of billions of planets

in a universe with trillions of galaxies

I am insignificant.

Inspirational

12 years ago

Principal: "Mr. Madison, what you’ve just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul."

Billy Madison: "Okay, a simple no would’ve done just fine."

Love adam sandler in this movie

Inspirational

12 years ago
*A shot rings out in the room*

Billy Madison: I am so glad I apologized to that guy!

Inspirational

12 years ago

I've never read Fight Club.

Inspirational

12 years ago

Shut up, you lost. haha

Inspirational

12 years ago
Don't care.

Inspirational

12 years ago

‘Good judgment comes from experience – Experience comes from poor judgment’ – Unknown

BZ

Inspirational

12 years ago

‘Experience is a dear school, but a fool will learn in no other’ – Ben Franklin

BZ

Inspirational

12 years ago
"He who asks a question may be a fool for five minutes. But he who never asks a question remains a fool forever."
-Tom J. Connelly

Inspirational

12 years ago

I thought that was an old chinese proverb

Inspirational

12 years ago

It's also from Abe Lincoln, Ben Franklin, Buddha, and more. It's been repeated so many times throughout history nobody can tell for sure.

Inspirational

12 years ago
Well I would say Buddha has the advantage because he was the furthest back in history. It could also just be common sense.

Inspirational

12 years ago
“[Teamwork] is the fuel that allows common people to attain uncommon results.”-Andrew Carnegie

Inspirational

12 years ago
"Whoever said that "Nothing is impossible" obviously never tried slamming a revolving door."

Unknown.

Inspirational

12 years ago

Hahaha!

BZ

Inspirational

12 years ago

One can never ‘find themselves’. People are made, not found. – Unknown

BZ

Inspirational

12 years ago

I’ve gone out to fond myself. If I should return, before I get back, please ask me to wait. – T-Shirt Humor.

BZ

Inspirational

12 years ago

*find

(raka fraka no edit posting braga fraga snort!)

Inspirational

12 years ago
hen asked about the many thousands of failures he had when trying to create the light-bulb he famously said, “I have not failed. I’ve just found 10,000 ways that won’t work.“

Inspirational

12 years ago
Thomas Jefferson.