Non-threaded

Forums » The Lounge » Read Thread

A place to sit back, hang out, and make monkey noises about anything you'd like.

Man's Best Friend

11 years ago

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/sideshow/dog-stands-guard-over-deceased-owner-grave-six-190556479.html

I don't think I've been this touched by a dog with a deceased owner story since Hatchiko(spelled wrong probably). 

Man's Best Friend

11 years ago

Happens all the time, and some people still says animal have no souls...

Man's Best Friend

11 years ago

I have never been able to understand why people don't think animals have emotions or souls. They may be less complex than us, but that's what makes them so special...

I have a 7 month old puppy that I've had since she was 5 weeks old. I live by myself and that dog goes everywhere with me. She gets sad when I go out of town and have to leave her with friends, when she feels sick she just wants me to hold her, and even if she's still a baby she does guard my apartment and me. Honestly if I had to choose between having a good dog that would live 50 years or a husband, I'd probably choose a dog. 

Man's Best Friend

11 years ago

Emotions are different then souls, at least in what I believe. But if I got into a discussion about souls, I'd bore you people to sleep.

Man's Best Friend

11 years ago

Yeah I believe they are different too. I just also believe Animals have both ;)

I like to think my puppy has emotions and will go to doggy heaven when she 'deity forbid' passes away.

Man's Best Friend

11 years ago

Heh, I used to think that way, but now I feel that they are just spirits, not actually full on souls. (I'm already sending out my beams of religion. This is bad) 

Man's Best Friend

11 years ago

Nah, you're fine. :)

I can see that way of thinking though. Kind of like how I see them as less complex then us?(loosely XD)

Man's Best Friend

11 years ago

Somewhat, though in some ways I would consider them like angels  just following whatever they are supposed to do without actual full thought. 

o. I had an argument with a class mate about animals and how humans are better then them. I don't understand how you could think that animals are better then humans. 

Man's Best Friend

11 years ago

I think they are purer than humans. And honestly, I like them better. But, humans are humans and animals are animals. If I had to choose between saving a person and saving an animal, I would save the person.

But, I'd rather go somewhere with my dog than another person. It's that unconditional love and loyalty they have. Not long ago I had a huge fight with someone I had been best friends with for 5 years, literally I had bent over backwards to help her when she needed it. But, the second I didn't support something she chose to do, she turned around and told me what she 'really' thought. 

Since then I've just had that nagging thought in the back of my head that 'if my best friend can hate me that much, but act like we are close as sisters' then anybody can do the same thing. Dogs aren't like that. Either they love you or don't. They don't put up an act and they don't lie. 

Lets just say I trust dogs over humans. You know what they feel about you, no facades. They don't look you in the eye, they are scared of you. They growl, they don't want you near. Bark, then they are surprised and warning others about you. Wag their tail, they accept your presence. It's nice and simple. If people were like that, the world would be a better place. -_-

Man's Best Friend

11 years ago

Sadly, I do agree with you. I hate facades that people have, which is why I barley hide who I am on the web and in real life. (except name, I don't give that except in real life) but the argument was more centered on animals being smarter then humans, which is pure stupidity. 

I don't actually have a dog or a cat (hate cats to be honest) but I have raised rabbits. Not the same thing, but somewhat similar. 

For your friend thing, I've had that happen, but I tend to put it in the past and forget. But I don't think I trust practically anyone anymore. But that may just be because I also look over my shoulder every couple of minutes to make sure I'm not being followed,

Man's Best Friend

11 years ago

Yeah if animals were smarter, humans would not be as.... well populated as a species. 

Not gonna lie, I have a bad problem with holding grudges. And that happened like 4 months ago. I've gotten better about the grudge thing though... In a I let go after a year instead of holding onto it for-ehv-vuhrrr(sorry, couldn't resist a Sandlot reference)

Man's Best Friend

11 years ago

To be honest, if I saw that guy I would. Probably punch him, but we weren't the best of friends. He just used me and my friend as a ring on the social ladder, and then stopped talking to us. Next time I saw him, he cracked a joke about me with a bunch of people who disliked me. 

But I've had my share of human asses. When I lived in a different country, I was beat up in school since I was American. I've met good people, and a Crap ton more people who I wouldn't spend time with even if you paid me.

Man's Best Friend

11 years ago

I understand the bullying stuff. I had really bad problems with that with the girls in my highschool. And at one point I was in an abusive relationship for 2 years(literally could not leave). After that I decided I'd never be a victim again and I haven't been. I took up MMA and that gave me confidence. Now I'm not afraid of the physical hurt. Just the emotional. 

After the whole thing with the abusive boyfriend, when I finally got out of it that is, I literally was so scared to go anywhere because he might follow me that I didn't leave my house alone for nearly a full year. The only way I left was if my dog(at the time a beagle/shepherd mix) went with me. She always knew when I was about to have a panic attack and knew how to calm me down. 

That's why I love dogs so much. I'd probably still reclusive and would have never learned self defense, much less gained any confidence/security from it, if it wasn't for that dog.

Man's Best Friend

11 years ago

Damm that sucks. I actually took Judo, and swapped places with them. Probably why in the real world I'm an ass as well. But, once you fight back, and they have no idea what they are doing, it gets to be fun. Doing bad stuff is fun, that's why people do it. But, physically I was always bigger then others, and I was just meek. Later on I stopped beating on others, but I grew a beard to look scary. I've never been harassed since. 

One of my emotional trauma was coming home and seeing my rabbit's body without a head. And seeing cat paws with blood walking away. Hated cats since, and I think I lost sympathy for dead animals. Kinda horrible to be honest.

Man's Best Friend

11 years ago

Yeah, it took me almost two years of training all week and being the only girl not to have panic attacks when I sparred the guys. Now I don't have panic attacks at all anymore and I am not intimidated by anyone. I know I can take a hit better than most and I give it right back harder and with better technique. Also I'm short, so I'm really good at takedowns and submissions.

I've always liked Judo and wanted to train in it. The style I use is a derivative of Dragon Seni jutsu. 2nd generation student of Grandmaster Harold Long(My master was one of his 1st gen. students). So although it is MMA, it has very, very traditional roots. The Shihan(my master) of my dojo is a 9th dan and ex marine. He actually suffers from PTSD, so it was wonderful to have someone who literally puts the fear of god(even if you don't believe in god) into everyone, to share an issue with. He always made sure power was not brutality, but it was earned physically and morally. I'll never forget one time one of the newer students(one of the few teens of the class at the time) made fun of me when I had a panic attack. Shihan told him to start doing sets on the punching bag. The kid wasn't allowed to stop until he could barely breath and nearly puked. And then Shihan asked him if he would like to laugh at me still now that he knows what it feels like to not be able to breath and nearly faint, while fighting a spar.

Of course, there were times I was disciplined also. And I needed it. Sometimes I over reacted when a new guy would come in, thinking he was all bad, and insult or flirt with me. New guy would get kicked out and I would have to do whatever Shihan felt like making me do until long after I didn't have the energy to do it. It definitely helped my anger problems.

I would hate cats too if that happened. I had a rabbit when I was really little, but it got out and ate a poisonous plant :(

Man's Best Friend

11 years ago

I can't remember my teacher, it was in Israel so it wasn't incredibley organized. But I took it for two years, and trashed thugs with it. I still feel bad since I then formed a gang and beat up people who messed with me

Man's Best Friend

11 years ago

Yeah if I ever did something like that, Shihan would probably hunt me down and kill me himself -_- He considers everything his students do direct reflections on him. He always says "When the alpha wolf looks weak to the pack, they kill him. Then they replace him." And believe me, he lives by that.

Ours is highly organized, which I always liked. The style itself is used around the USA I think by about 15 different dojo. The masters all know each other and developed the style together. Since then they all run their own dojo and have their own personal version of the style. But, several times a year we all travel the country and visit the dojo(or they come to us sometimes). The upper belts of my dojo compete on different levels. 

(Sorry, everytime we have a belt promotion we have to be able to recite all the masters, grandmasters, and their history, and the style history, and all the derivatives and so on and so forth or we fail the belt test no matter how we do physically)

Man's Best Friend

11 years ago

Yeah, I probably shouldn't of been doing that, but when you live in Lord of The Flies, you need to change your moral system. But then I moved out of there and started being nice.

Man's Best Friend

11 years ago

Happy I have brothers can trust them no matter what when it comes to something important. Never had a pet but I do like them.

Man's Best Friend

11 years ago

Yeah, my brother is a good guy, but he's kinda unresponsive. Suffered a different type of childhood made him hate social groups. Add that to a genius and you get someone who if you talk to you will get confused.

Man's Best Friend

11 years ago

Heh, wish I had siblings :P I've always been a litttle jealous of my friends who have big brothers to watch out for them. 

Man's Best Friend

11 years ago

sorry to break it to ya but a dog life span is a little over 13 yrs

Man's Best Friend

11 years ago

Thank you captain obvious... -__-

I know they don't live 50 years.... I was just using it as an example to make a point...

Man's Best Friend

11 years ago

I wasn't trying to be hurtful i mean i had  dogs. One died around 8 weeks old from worms... I really didn't know because i got it from someone, but it was the pup of my first dog. I miss pepper and you to tiger.

Man's Best Friend

11 years ago

You didn't take it to a vet a few days after getting it?

Man's Best Friend

11 years ago

I tried to but my mom kept forgetting.

Man's Best Friend

11 years ago

That is really sad :( I hate that that happened to you. 

Man's Best Friend

11 years ago

thanks

Man's Best Friend

11 years ago

No problem. My dobey was shot by my neighbors asshole son, so I know how it feels to have your dog die because of someone else and have no control over it.

Man's Best Friend

11 years ago

Well.I think you can sue in that situation.They say that someone took pepper (He was the pup's dad) or he must've got out and left but i do hope he's okay. I think he got out.

Man's Best Friend

11 years ago

Nah, where I live you don't sue people. You just toss a dead skunk you find on the side of the road into their cars open window. That's what I did and it was at night so the stink soaked in all night. 

Man's Best Friend

11 years ago

that how it is in your part of  Carolina huh, I've would've threw it in the kids window when he wasn't home.

Man's Best Friend

11 years ago

Wish I could have but they keep them all closed and such. Just your typical asshole 13 year old with parents too stupid to realize he plays with their guns. 

Since then though, it was pretty much common knowledge that if you come onto our property or mess with our dogs/horse you are going to be shot at. Why time the little shit came into the fence and ran my horse through the electric wiring and he ended up a mile down the road. 

A few bullets over his head and he hasn't set foot on our land since then. Better for him... Since I moved out I'm not the one with the gun and my dad is a much better shot than me.

Man's Best Friend

11 years ago

Wow i love the south.

Man's Best Friend

11 years ago

Hell yeah! :D 

Man's Best Friend

11 years ago

Honestly, in my experience people who treat animals badly are often bad people to begin with.

Man's Best Friend

11 years ago

yeah... Jeffrey Daumer being prime example. Gein, bundy, Albert Fish... *cringe*.

Man's Best Friend

11 years ago

This is why I love dogs more than cats.

(Also, so close! It's Hachiko, no T. It's such a sad story. I visited the statue of him near Shibuya station 4-5 years ago and didn't realise the significance of it until a year later.)

Man's Best Friend

11 years ago

I literally cried when I first heard the Hachiko story. It was so sweet and shows just how much animals DO feel.

Man's Best Friend

11 years ago

On the subject. here are some photos of my baby(aka puppy), Mei.

7 months old

7 weeks old

12 weeks old

Man's Best Friend

11 years ago

I thought you were the Siberian Husky type of person...

Man's Best Friend

11 years ago

No, I am actually not a particular fan of the breed. They are beautiful, but the only dog breeds I would ever go out of my way to own are Doberman Pinschers and Chinese Shar pei. I had a dobey growing up and she was the best dog I ever had. And now I have a shar pei puppy who I love :). They are the only breeds I ever really been interested in owning(not including mutts)