Non-threaded

Forums » Writing Workshop » Read Thread

Find proofreaders here, useful resources, and share opinions and advice on story crafting.

I need advice!

11 years ago

I'm new to this (I started today) and i'm planning to make a game called warriors vs mages with more information on my profile.

Good idea, bad idea, suggestions? Happy for any feedback, good or bad!

I need advice!

11 years ago

It looks like it will be a high fantasy medieval story, so here's my advice on that particular genre: The high fantasy medieval genre has, at its core, been done to death (much like cyberpunk and sci fi has been done to death). What you will need to do to make your story stand out is incorporate things into it that you wouldn't really see in other stories. For instance, create new kinds of magic other than the traditional white and black variety. Necromancy, floramancy, things like that. The stranger the kind of -mancy the better (I'd love to see a story with an aquamancer, or perhaps even a drakomancer!).

Including odd technology to give it a more punk-ish feel could be good too. Not neccesarily complex machines or firearms, but something along the lines.

All in all, all high fantasy stories are inherently good, it's just that they get dragged down into atypical fantasy substances. Go out there, be different, think outside the box, and I guarantee you'll end up with a great story people will want to read. :)

I need advice!

11 years ago

Yeah, I definitely agree with the last paragraph. That sums everything about writing high fantasy up except that I'd add that amidst the plot, setting and history of the world, characters are often forgotten. Write compelling, lifelike characters and your story will go far even if it's not got some excellent world or plot. The converse is not true... stock characters in an amazing world will always fall flat.

I need advice!

11 years ago

I think that there will be 6 types of magic to choose on the magic side of the story (something similar for warrior). Three good and three bad.

I have also drawn a map of my world which i could update as your character does specific actions. For example, if you attack a mage region with warriors (blue), that region would o from yellow to blue on the map. What about that?

PS i will probaly get bored and never finish this

I need advice!

11 years ago

Start small then. Start with something you believe yourself capable of finishing.

I need advice!

11 years ago

Hey I'm fairly new too and am working on my first story of the same genre. When i started i was scarred to death and didn't even know where to begin,but once i started writing I found that it wasn't that big of a deal. So if there is any advice i can give you its this; if you write your story and you think its perfect then screw what everyone else says. Its your story and all that matters is that you like it.

I need advice!

11 years ago

The whole "haters gonna hate" mentality really isn't a good thing when most of the people here will give you real feedback as to why your story was bad, not just say that it's bad and you should feel bad for making it.

Don't expect your first story to be a massive hit, is all I'm saying. Write what you want to write, and improve where you think you need to improve, or where you're told you need to improve, after you're finished.

Alternatively, you could just write one story and be done with writing afterwards lol.

I need advice!

11 years ago

Agreed, if you go into any project - especially one where it's design is to entertain others like a story - then having the mentality of "screw anyone who doesn't like it" is extremely counter productive.