Non-threaded

Forums » Newbie Central » Read Thread

Introduce yourself and get to know the community.

About personal trophies...

11 years ago

Me again! So I was just reading through some of the stuff in Help & Info and came across an article about how to get your own  personal trophy. The rules all seemed fine until I got to rule three.

"You must have acquired at least half of the "personal" trophies on the site."

So... Uhh... Does that rule still apply? Just wanted to know since I think more than half the people with personal trophies don't really use the site anymore, so that way getting your own one would be impossible for anyone who joined the site in the last couple of years or after.

11 years ago

Yes, the rule still applies. Currently there are 11 member trophies, which means you need 6 to get your own. It's not impossible, though it is pretty hard.

Alex, JJJ, End and madglee are all around, so that's only two more you have to worry about. Sethaniel pops up randomly every couple of years, Paul seems to have returned after a long hiatus, and Nate is here more often than either of them.

It's definitely possible to reach the required six. There was some talk a while ago about rusting trophies of members that no longer visit the site (eg. Havvy, Solo) but I don't think anything was ever agreed on.

11 years ago

don't forget End has a trophy now

11 years ago

Which is why October mentioned End in his 2nd paragraph.

11 years ago

<-< silence nonbeliever! That was a test... to draw out nonbelievers!

11 years ago

I'm totally oppose the current system of trophies.

It's outdated and makes it virtually impossible for any new trophies for anyone. The whole thing needs overhauled and updated. To get in line with modern times and a changing membership base.

11 years ago

I agree completely. It needs to be redone so newer members actually have a chance (that's not based entirely on being lucky and having old members return) at getting their own trophy.

Granted, it should still be difficult, but currently it really isn't possible.

11 years ago

What about having to get three quarters of the currently active members trophies instead? 

11 years ago

That's following the same line of reasoning though. I mean, what if a point comes where we only have one or two trophy holders who are active? Or maybe all the ones who are active simply don't want to give out trophies.

11 years ago

It could be based off getting a set number of featured games. Can't really argue that an author with 3 or more featured games doesn't deserve a trophy, because of inactive members,

11 years ago

I dunno, as time goes by it's only going to get harder to get your story featured.

11 years ago

Could be based on something like:

1. A minimum length of time as a member

2. Having a number of Games Rated 7 or 8 after a minimum number of play-throughs

3. Having a minimum number of Forum Posts

???

11 years ago

Trophies sort of signify the devotion to the site right? They don't have to make games to contribute... 

11 years ago

Well, considering it is a writing site, you'd probably need to write a story to get a trophy. It cant be an easy thing, since the whole point of the trophies is that only the best of members get them.

11 years ago

Well one of the other rules for getting your own trophy is that you have to have at least 3 of your games featured at one point. Killa makes a point though. As time goes on, it'll be more difficult to get a game featured since the bar will be higher and people might want to keep all of the games that're already there.

11 years ago

I'm also not too fond of the current system. With almost half of the current personal trophy holders chronically offline it's, in my opinion, almost impossible to get one yourself. I suggest a system which keeps the minimum amount of featured stories etc. but also implements the 'rusted personal trophies'. When a personal trophy holder is offline for a year or so his trophy will get rusted and won't count for the minimum amount of trophies a member has to acquire before getting a personal one himself.

11 years ago

I like that idea ^_^

11 years ago

Don't forget the admins can override any of the trophy guidelines. If an admin sees a member they believe is worthy of a trophy, they will give them one.

11 years ago

Who are the current active admins? I know there's a list of them but I was just wondering if maybe any new admins had been added since the list was made?

11 years ago

My bad, most websites have a staff hierarchy consisting of moderators and admins - I just remembered CYS calls the moderators administrators and the admins creators. I meant to say creators - so Alex, Choco and March. Currently, Alex is the only active creator.

I'm not sure how many storygames Alex reads or how well he knows the member base, though. So I'm guessing if somebody is worthy of a trophy (currently I can't think of anyone) and Alex doesn't notice JJJ would probably send him an email or something. I remember End actually created a thread to bring it to the creators' attention that he had achieved all of the requirements for getting a trophy.

11 years ago

If a story game wasn't featured but it was put on the front page, do you think that would count?

11 years ago

Being on the front page should actually be considered featured right? I mean it IS being featured...

11 years ago

That's what I'm thinking smiley

But...

11 years ago

I don't know if I would like to see any of the current trophies deleted, it'd kinda be a disappointment for those who has the older trophies.

The "Rusted" concept is good though.

But...

11 years ago

Nah, rusting is not really nice. I mean, how would you feel if you got the old trophies and they all rusted?

But...

11 years ago

We don't need to delete anyone's trophies or 'rust' them. We just need to change the way they are earned, so others can get some too...

But...

11 years ago

Maybe whoever gives out the trophy (say End for example) sets some criteria (like for example, you had to make 20 storygames to get the trophy) and then it gives it to people automatically when they achieve that. That way you don't have to 'rust' trophies, because the trophy giver doesn't have to be online! Then maybe the trophy giver could have a list of everyone who has their trophy somewhere in the My Stuff section!

But...

11 years ago

Good idea! Trouble is that you'd have to ask the trophy owners what they want their criteria to be... And half of them don't use the site anymore, so you wouldn't get an answer.

But...

11 years ago

I for one, don't think any of this matters, since the admins don't have to follow the rules anyway (as October stated). But just for ha-has, here's an idea: instead of automatically awarding members' trophies, create two or three new trophies that would be automatically awarded by the system when the requirements are met. They would count as 'member trophies' for the purpose of the getting-your-own-trophy rules. Of course, since no judgment would be exercised in the giving of these trophies, the requirements would have to be very steep. For example, having more than one story rated 8, or having the longest story on the site (perhaps with a caveat that it has to reach a certain minimum rating as well, like a 6.)

But...

11 years ago

We could name them 'CYS trophies' or something. Then make the requirements to be that the mods get to choose who gets the trophy. Or that the mods have to all agree that a certain person should get the trophy.

But...

11 years ago

The second idea is the same reason we don't have new trophies now (with the notable exception of Endmaster), the mods aren't around anymore. And saying "active" mods is tricky since we don't know who is or isn't online. I wouldn't be surprised if Flesh is still scurrying around somewhere, he pops up and leaves messages from time to time - although he hasn't in a while - and Paul actually left a few earlier.

Edit: Or was it Solo that left posts earlier? I can't seem to find the posts, but I'm a lousy forum delver :P

But...

11 years ago

Also, I don't actually think End is a mod... As far as I know anyway. He's got his own trophy though.

But...

11 years ago

Getting your own trophy is meant to be extremely hard. If everyone has member trophies, they're no longer anything special.

If we rust the trophies of people who haven't been on in, say, six months, that makes it at least achievable for a current member to get their own trophy, albeit extremely hard (which is the way it should be).

But...

11 years ago

Another problem with the system though is that the trophy holders who are still here don't seem to be giving out trophies anymore. I've seen one or two people on this site who clearly deserve to be given certain members trophies but the mods just don't seem to notice them.

But...

11 years ago

There's always the chance they just do not see anyone as worthy at the moment. 

If you think a member is being overlooked by someone with the power to give out trophies, maybe send them a PM! Providing you're only making a suggestion and you're not asking for them to award you the trophy, you probably won't be annoying them by sending it (depends on the trophy-bestower, I guess).

But...

11 years ago

I just might do that some time ^_^

But...

11 years ago

Actually, getting a trophy back in the beginning would not have been hard at all.

When you had only ten games on the site and only ten members, getting anything with a rating of 5 or higher would have been automatic. And as the site was fresh and new at the time, then members would have totally been into it and earning and giving trophies for the fun of it all.

Now, it's like a dead language - only stodgy old professors still speak it.

And I think it's a bunch of shit.

But...

11 years ago

OK, 'shit' is a bit strong, but I was bitching, so I think I'll just leave it in there LOL!

But...

11 years ago

I was about to say "gee, calm down it's just a trophy" haha

In the beginning (if I recall correctly, I've tried searching through the FWW but can't find the thread(s) I'm looking for) each admin and owner got their own trophy. The current guidelines for getting your own trophy were only made recently (my perception of time on this site is very fluid so recently is from like... 2009 onwards) so not only was it not easy to get your own trophy back in the beginning, it's entirely irrelevant how easy it was as the guidelines were made afterwards.

Madglee, Seth, Paul and EndMaster are the four members who have been given their own trophy since the original trophies were given to admins. All of these members satisfied the current trophy constraints, even if those constraints weren't around when they got their trophies. I think you'll agree that these four members are among the most respected on the site (not sure if Seth and Paul were before your time or not, but you only have to look at what they've done and the number of member trophies they each have to see they deserve their trophies).

If you rust trophies bestowed by inactive members, it's exactly* as difficult now as it was for Seth/Paul/End to obtain your own trophy.

*the only difference being the slightly increased difficulty of getting three featured storygames - however this may not even be relevant soon seeing categories are soon to be eliminated, meaning we could see a whole new featuring system!

And lastly, they're just trophies haha. I feel a little silly even arguing over how they're rewarded.

But...

11 years ago

The advent of Categories does present an intriguing opportunity to set some new things in place.

And Trophies are like XP and Post Counts - they really don't change anything and are silly to argue about - but dang if it ain't human nature to want something you don't have haha.

But...

11 years ago

And they're shiny! ^_^

But...

11 years ago

Assuming it matters to him, Berka would currently be the closest to getting a trophy from me. He'd have to create a couple of extra stories on par with his zombie one though. I imagine DS2 will qualify as a step in the right direction.

Then he'll have to pass a test of my own creation! (But I need to finish Eternal first before I even get around to doing that)

Assuming he passes the test (And there's no reason why he won't since he can just keep reloading taking it over until he gets it right), he'll win my skull trophy.

Then all he has to do is convince the other site elders of his worthiness to get a trophy of his own. (Good luck!)

But...

11 years ago

I think BZ should get a trophy for being the only person on the site who's rated 100% of all story games ^_^

But...

11 years ago

He does have one.

That glowing one.

But...

11 years ago

LOL - true that!

And wow - I have never been more scared about receiving a reward, then when I read EndMaster's Trophy test proposal...    <.<

But...

11 years ago

No, like a personal trophy!

But...

11 years ago

Lol! To earn this trophy you must first pass a test to prove your worth! It'll start with a nice easy fire eating contest, followed by playing a friendly game of chicken on the train tracks, and concluded with the ceremonial offering of a virgin sacrifice to the gods of rape and cannibalism! cheeky

But...

11 years ago

I think that last one's going a bit far. Although he may need to play football with a bag of chickens. Really, those things are like mini nuke waiting to go off. In fact, after the chicken uprising of December 2013, it's even more dangerous!

Wait, it is past December 2013 here, right? Or did I put too much ectoplasm in the time machine again?

But...

11 years ago

Trophies are supposed to be like, the honor system here. It's only natural for the members to want it to be at the very least, viably achievable.

I mean, of the current trophy holders, Endmaster is the only one who's been active in the past month (JJJ has signed in but hasn't done anything, Alex is just done updates/bug fixes, the rest I don't think have been gone for longer than the month).

It's not a matter of making it easier, it's a matter of making it possible without being almost entirely reliant on luck and whether or not old members just happen to stop by and then if they decide to actually look into if any members are deserving of their trophy (I doubt most are actively looking).

But yeah, I'm sure it does matter to some.

But...

11 years ago

Your best chances would be Madglee, Fleshy and JJJ.

JJJ is probably the toughest judge out of them three.

Madglee you just need to nail down when he pops up.

And from I can gather Fleshy lurks a lot, so you probably can just contact him.

It might be a long shot, but you might get Alex since he's been around to update the site here and there.

Chances of getting March, Paul and Seth are even slimmer, even if Paul did make a brief appearance recently.

Pretty sure you can forget about Solo, Havaco, and Choco. Havaco wasn't even around when I arrived here. Choco disappeared soon after I got here, and Solo's been gone for quite a while too.

October's probably right though, the trophy system might just get overhauled when the new site is up.

But...

11 years ago

Also I think that some members who deserve trophies don't get them because they don't write stories. Like October, I whole heartedly believe he should have one because

A. He has written a lot of articles on this site

B. He is a semi-admin because of powers given to him by JJJ

There are also some previous members I felt strongly about this for (One being Ziraka because of the help of scripting).

I really do believe there needs to be a change in the way trophies go out and are received.

But...

11 years ago

I appreciate the sentiment but I believe that being an excellent writer should be a pre-requisite for having a trophy, seeing writing is what this site is all about. Until I've written a well-received storygame I don't think I should be even considered for a trophy. Thanks for your support though :)

Edit: With that said, I don't think possessing admin powers should influence whether a person gets a trophy or not. Sure, moderating threads/comments may be considered a way of contributing to the community, but counting it makes it an uneven playing field for other members.

But...

11 years ago

I SO DO NOT LURK! I check in! lol

nate

But...

11 years ago

Free trophies all around to celebrate your check in!
cheeky

But...

11 years ago

lol If i was not around for more than a year or so, maybe id consider it. but ive been checking in nearly daily the past several months. just not posting as much. ive been doing speaking engagements and writing outside of this site so to come here and try and write has been out of my capacity. but rest assured, ive been here and am willing to talk to anyone. just message me.

nate

But...

11 years ago

... Just watching that sidebar is giving me a headache... And hello! ^_^