Non-threaded

Forums » Newbie Central » Read Thread

Introduce yourself and get to know the community.

Image Maps

10 years ago

Out of curiosity, has anyone attempted to make an image map on this site? Is it even possible?

An example of an application of an image map would be: If there is a particular maze section in the story, rather than forcing the reader to memorize the layout of a maze, give the reader the maze as an image and allow them to navigate the maze by clicking on the image.

Of course, you could always just have an image for each page that differs according to where the reader is/has been, but not only would that take twice the amount of time to write but it would also prevent the reader from interacting with something other than text (which can be quite monotonous in a long story).

Image Maps

10 years ago

Not to boast, but check out my Dungeon Stompage game (or) Kill Aman's Mustache for ecamples of what you can do with updating maps in your game...

Image Maps

10 years ago

What I mean by image map is something like this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image_map.

For example, if there is a picture of a fruit bowl, and in the fruit bowl is an apple and an orange, is it possible to map the apple to link to a document about apples and the orange to link to a document about oranges (while still being the same image and not two separate images).

Unless I looked at your example incorrectly, which could be the case as I just skimmed through it while I was multi-tasking, then I think the way I worded it was a bit confusing. 

Image Maps

10 years ago

You could do it, if it is ok to have mulitiple images. Using $LINKTEXT to change the text of a link to a image, you can make a image link, and shifting the image around using HTML, you might able to do it.

Image Maps

10 years ago

Oh I see now. Yes, you can actually have a clickable picture in your game. While this is pretty useful, it would be even more useful if you could use it to make the Story Viewer advance to a ne page by clicking on a page link via picture. Unfortunately, I don't think you can do this through HTML (the in game page links that is).

Image Maps

10 years ago

And (obviously) you can do just that! Excellent work! Please show us how you did it in the Advanced Editor Forum  =)