Non-threaded

Forums » Writing Workshop » Read Thread

Find proofreaders here, useful resources, and share opinions and advice on story crafting.

Add pictures to my love and dating story game?

10 years ago

So I'm working on a story were the player will have the option to romance several different characters, and I'm debating on rather or not to include photos. Having pictures would make the player feel like they knew more about the character, as well as save me from having to describe the character visually.  On the other hand, I know I like to imagine what characters look like on my own.  Like in Twilight, before the movies obviously, Edward looked like Alexander Skarsgard and Jacob looked like Joe Manganiello *waits for the boos to die down* Hey, teen paranormal romance is my guilty pleasure. Deal with it! But anyway, another problem with pictures is that if I do use a celebrity, then the player will assume the personality of the character is the same as the celebrity. And honestly, I don't really know where else to find photos of ten attractive people that I can use without violating their privacy.  Maybe Deviantart?
I don't know, what do you think?

10 years ago

Pictures are better, because if you don't post them, you'll need full description. If you won't write it, some actions may not be comparable with the images the players made in their heads.

10 years ago

Then perhaps I could put the picture on a separate character page so that players who don't wish to have their mental picture ruined can choose not to take the link to the description page?

10 years ago

In my stuff I use pictures and written descriptions. It really just depends on what I think the character needs. Somethings I think are better written out, or seem to have a more eloquent delivery via text than just a basic picture. It makes it feel as if you have vested some "life" into that character.

Just my opinion, good luck :)

10 years ago

If you can describe how a person looks quite well, then describe them.

Otherwise a picture is the safer route. Personally I enjoy pictures a bit more, since I tend to gloss over details and instead focus on dialog and the plot.

There are some artists on the site. If you're REALLY lucky, and very nice, they may draw a character or two for you. Or you could always try to outsource the drawing job to another artwork site.

As long as you link the picture to it's source and give credit to the artists, they are usually fine with you using their pictures. If you're unsure, message them on whatever site you see it on, and ask permission to use it (assuming they originally created it).