Non-threaded

Forums » Reading Corner » Read Thread

Dust off a seat and discuss a good book here...you do read, right?

Anyone here read Steinbeck?

6 years ago

I just want to know if you've read his works and if so, which one is your favorite?

6 years ago

The only thing I read by him was The Pearl.

I didn’t mind it since a baby’s head gets blown off in the end because his dad was a dumb ass for not taking the 1000 pesos for the pearl earlier in the story.

(He wanted 50,000. Lol. That's like those retards that go into pawn shops expecting to make millions with an old empty box of Lucky Charms from the 1970s)

6 years ago

I've read several of Steinbeck's books.  I'd say Of Mice and Men was my favorite, very tightly written.  Although I haven't read absolutely everything he wrote, of his books I have read, I'd have to list The Winter of Our Discontent as my least favorite, even though it seems it won him the Nobel Prize.  So it goes.

6 years ago
I liked East of Eden a lot even if it was a unnecessarily long. (One of the families was based on his grandparents or something and they got way too much attention considering they weren't major players in the real plot.)

Lots of terrible parenting and exploration of good/evil as generational baggage, and the manipulative sociopathic serial killer whore was obviously a lot of fun.

Grapes of Wrath was decent too even if it suffers from being about getting its Important Message across. It's valuable now as a detailed account of life during that time period though and contains a lot of stuff Steinbeck saw for himself first hand.

6 years ago
Grapes of Wrath is on the very long and currently untouched reading list.

6 years ago

I read sections of his non-fiction book Travels with Charley for one of my English classes. The only book of his I read all the way through was his treatment of the Arthurian Legends, The Acts of King Arthur and his Noble Knights. Oh, and I did read The Pearl for an English class when I was in highschool. Of course I've seen the film version of the Grapes of Wrath with Henry Fonda and an NBC TV movie adaption of Of Mice and Men.

6 years ago

I actually really love Steinbeck. Just finished a documentary on him! I think I really look up to the guy! He had a knack for listening to folks.

My first introduction was The Pearl, which I kinda totally hated, just 'cos I have a hard time taking in super moralistic books. Then, years later, I read my favorite ones: Cannery Row and Sweet Thursday. They've got this nice, amoral, "well, that's jus' the way they are" kinda tone and all these sweet characters and I think I cried twice in the first one. All those forest bums chill'n out and trying so hard and being a family and all, it's just so sweet!

Then right after I red Of Mice And Men, which I enjoyed, and then The Red Pony, and Tortilla Flat, which is like Mac's gang but drunk all the time, aaaand theeeen The Grapes Of Wrath, which felt like a less enjoyable, MUCH longer Cannery Row (not to say it ain't good or noth'n!). Now I've placed an order for that Sea Of Cortez journal he made with The World's Best Bro, Ed Ricketts. 

I'm also working on The Moon Is Down and I'm halfway through Travels With Charlie. Did you know that in most all his fiction, he's got a character based off his guy Ed? I thought it was sweet that he tried to make him happy at the end of Sweet Thursday. Too bad reality hit.