Non-threaded

Forums » Reading Corner » Read Thread

Dust off a seat and discuss a good book here...you do read, right?

The Fitz and the Fool Trilogy

5 years ago

Yeah, my head just exploded.

Literally just found out that there's a third trilogy by Robin Hobb about Fitz Chivalry Farseer and The Fool, set ten years after the events on the Tawney Man trilogy... How the fuck did I not know this? This is literally my greatest dream come true! heart

(... And none of you know what the fuck I'm talking about.) cheeky

5 years ago

Oh dang I think I started reading this book in a library once.

Tell me what happens in the first few chapters and I'll get back to you, since it might just be another book which clearly had previous parts and was set in the future.

So I do know what you are talking about... maybe. That is all.

5 years ago

Assassin's Apprentice is the first book.

FitzChivalry Farseer is the bastard son of a prince. The king decides to take him in and use him as a pawn, but he's also kept on a very short leash, because he's a potential threat to the throne (bastard princes have a bad habit of confusing the line of sucession.)

His life is complicated to say the least. He is trained to become an assassin, and sometimes has to kill people he really likes for the sake of the kingdom. He has an affinity for magic, and can communicate with animals... But this kind of magic is illegal in the kingdom, and if it's ever discovered that he has this magic, he'll be executed. He falls in love with a woman, but he's not allowed to marry her, because the king wants to marry him off to some other woman, for the sake of strengthening political ties.

It's all written in first person, and is easily my favourite fantasy series of all time. I have read Lord of the Rings and I've read A Song of Ice and Fire. This is better.

Also there is The Fool... The Fool is the single greatest fantasy character of all time. He puts Tyrion to shame. ^_^