Non-threaded

Forums » The Lounge » Read Thread

A place to sit back, hang out, and make monkey noises about anything you'd like.

Procedural Writing

3 years ago

So, I've been working on a civilization/battle simulator storygame, and right now got a janky terrain generator working. I think it's pretty cool, but I mean... I did make it.

Currently there are four terrain types—

1. Water (blue, obviously)
  2. Flat (light green)
  3. Forest (darker green)
  4. Mountain (gray)

—and each terrain type will affect the battle which happens on that tile. Currently, it still is a sucky, baby prototype, but the cool thing is that I have a visualization of the terrain generation (http://chooseyourstory.com/story/rising-honor). If the storygame doesn't work, you just have to close the window and open it again. Any feedback is appreciated and thanks beforehand!

But anyways, this brings me to my question. Since I want a lot of this storygame to be procedurally generated, I was wondering, is there any storygames with semi-procedural writing? For example, like unscripted encounters, or something?

Procedural Writing

3 years ago

That's incredibly badass, and I'm excited to see what you'll do with it. Static pictures aside, I can't really think of anybody really attempted something with in-game graphics before, except maybe Killa and Berka's card games, or some ASCII with Tower of Hanoi. Or BinLaden's game, but I think that's deleted for good.

Procedural Writing

3 years ago

Glad you think so! I just hope I'm not thinking too ambitious, but we will see. But yeah, I've been looking at the card games for inspiration just a tad bit, so I'll have to check them out further.

Procedural Writing

3 years ago
It's broken for me, next to the first game box I get:

{
addTextInput("player.firstname");
addChoice("Next", "Pages/lastname.txt");
}

And then there is no box for the last name, just this:

{
addTextInput("player.lastname");
addChoice("Next", "Pages/page1.txt");
}

Didn't get to try on my computer though, maybe it's a mobile issue?

The idea sounds awesome though. I know theoretically how such things could be done with the editor but I don't believe it's ever been done before. Unless you count card games maybe, while that part obviously isn't writing, Cows vs Aliens and Koi Koi! set up encounters in their own way.

Procedural Writing

3 years ago

Yeah, I haven't really tested anything on mobile, so that may be the issue... although it's still causes some bugs from time to time. I'll have to have a look at that. 

Oh goodness, those games sound great. Looks like I got some reading ahead of me.

Procedural Writing

3 years ago
I mean they're both literally just card games, but I think the way scripting was handled involved enough similar factors that it could've just as easily been plugged into RPG encounters.

Delve! is a big dungeon crawl with stats and randomized encounters and loot, but there's not much in the writing department there either. I'm not sure a game that truly handled procedural generation as part of the story itself has been published on the site. Although something like Skybreak is possible with the editor here, it would be a *lot* of work and not something anyone's truly tried to tackle yet.

Procedural Writing

3 years ago

Well, that's a big scary bunch of sentences. Welp, I guess this is more of an experimental project than a serious project, I suppose.

Procedural Writing

3 years ago

I don't know much about storygames of this type (mostly because I haven't played many), but this looks super cool!

Procedural Writing

3 years ago

To me, it's a tad janky, but I'm glad you like it!

Procedural Writing

3 years ago
Discussion of this game has moved over here btw. For those of you who joined a writing site to never ever look at the writing section.