Non-threaded

Forums » The Lounge » Read Thread

A place to sit back, hang out, and make monkey noises about anything you'd like.

Resident China simp, please report in

2 years ago
@betaband

I saw you were online recently, and I am interested in hearing your thoughts on politics and current events.

And I sure hope you don't have covid.

2 years ago

Well until betaboy returns, I'll say that China recently censoring their own National Anthem due to Shanghai rioters quoting it, is hilarious.

one year ago

Currently in Israel simping for the Zionist Project.

Things are incredibly fucked in Shanghai right now. Many of my friends are still in Shanghai, they haven't been able to leave their apartments for more than three weeks. Haven't heard much about China's response to the pandemic in other cities but Shanghai is looking pretty dystopian right now and the citizens are incredibly unhappy with the government. 

one year ago
Unhappy sounds like a radical understatement.

one year ago

Currently in Israel simping for the Zionist Project.

one year ago

1400 years later and rock throwing is still the main form of Jihad. 

one year ago

And despite all the US military aid, they still can't wipe out a bunch of rock throwing fanatics.

one year ago

damn that's crazy that living in Actually 1984 would work out poorly for them. 

If they're  Chinese I sort of feel bad for them because they were born there / have family ties and can't really leave, but if they're white kids they should be thrown directly into a wood chipper tbh fam 

one year ago

For residents of Shanghai specifically the Covid pandemic is the first time since the Dengist reforms that they haven't seen their lives become better. 

one year ago

Yeah because they used to live under a psychotic dictator who did the Holocaust to the whole population, and now they live under one who does the Holocaust to a smaller part of the population. 

one year ago

betaband is a gay retard who can't defend his murderous politics 

one year ago

Are you referring to Israel or China?

one year ago
And I sure hope you don't have covid.

I changed my mind.

one year ago
@Will11

Are you still in China, and how is your family?

one year ago
Still here, still married and still alive :D

Things remain in lockdown pretty much everywhere, including restaurants and most shops and anyone who owns a business, works for a business or basically is not a government employee is financially buggered. I am teaching all my students online but everyone is pretty pessimistic about the future, basically 1 billion something people are being screwed over so Xi can get a third term and use it to pull a Mariupol on Taiwan. Aside from that all good, though my students seem to be finding it tougher to get into western universities, having to switch from Canada, USA and the UK to places like Australia, New Zealand and Singapore. The feeling with the smarter younger ones is that it is impossible to change things in China right now so it is better to get out while a lot of the older guys go in for binge drinking, wife beating and mahjong. It is very 1984 but with more pagodas.

Hope you are all doing good on here, going to try to do a bit of writing in the summer if I have time :D

one year ago
Glad to hear you're doing...if not good then as okayish as possible in the middle of that mess.

>>>it is impossible to change things in China right now so it is better to get out

This seems like good advice that you and your wife might want to take for yourselves to be honest.

And I personally find it very sad that betaband is experiencing the joys of not being in China while you, who are so much more sensible and just generally much more likeable are still there.

one year ago

Hearing shit like this is still going on in parts of the world is absurd to me. My country like...locked down hard at the start of the pandemic and then after 3-4 months it was basically living like normal, with a few restrictions here and there. Mostly absolutely nothing though. Going out, hitting the gym, masks don't exist where I am etc etc.

one year ago
IIRC China got the original outbreak under control reasonably quickly, this is just the Omicron variant they're freaking out about. They were getting 15,000 new cases a day in Shanghai and decided to go full dystopia.

I saw they might be about to lock down Beijing now too. I'm expecting some pretty huge after effects of this for anyone who buys things that say 'Made in China' on them.