Non-threaded

Forums » The Parlor Room » Read Thread

Questions about a storygame? Thoughts on Eternal? Any other IF you're playing out there?

"Not Enough Time" Progression/Ideas/Join.me

7 years ago

First, let's get the Join.me out of the way. 

Currently unavailable

There, now that that is done, let's talk about ou- no, your story. Your story is called "Not Enough Time," and it's actually a story consisting of many short stories (confusing, I know) that talk about the issues a lot of people face every day. These issues range from:

• financial issues
  • relationship/child/emotional abuse
  • racism
  • depression
  • cyber/physical/emotional bullying
  • ect. 

These stories are meant to be relatable, so what I will do is that as the start of each 'story,' there will be a quiz for the reader to answer. What this quiz will do is that it will:

• Change pronouns of reader to how they wish to specify
  • Change parents into F/F, M/M, F/M, M, F.
  • Set a specific amount of siblings according to what you chose. Example: "My family is so small/large, that I have 1-5 siblings!" The outcome will depend on the number you picked.
  • Make the 'story' more like a diary than a C.Y.O.A..

Interested yet? If not, that's perfectly okay! However, I will tell you that I am currently working on Not Enough Time's LGBT+ story, and if anyone wants to see how that's going, you can either click the Join.me link, or PM me for a link.

7 years ago

1. This is a site for CYOAs, not a collection of stories. Although there are at least some options in your story, the main point of CYS is to make stories where the reader controls the actions of the main character.

2. I don't understand the need to make two copies of the same story...

7 years ago

No no no, it's still a CYOA, but more - advanced, let's say. For example, if you go looking at the stories already created, one would see that you always have a set gender, set partner, ect. For example, "You are female with female pronouns, you have a boyfriend and live with your mother and your father." However, with the starting quiz, the CYOA would be more like "You are ____ with ____ pronouns, you have a _____(no) partner and live with (only) _____ parent(s)."

Now, the CYOA concept is the same, but the story will be changed in according to what you chose in the quiz. Yes, it's extra work, but each path chosen will be different, which is why readers have the option of going back and trying a new path; it's always different (most of the time). Is that not why CYOAs are so much fun to read/play?

7 years ago

I don't really see the problem with stories having a set gender. I must say, this does sound very ambitious/ambiguous.  Good luck on your story, quiz, social experiment,  etc. 

7 years ago

There isn't one, but customization is a lovely feature in my honest opinion, which is why both of my games and most of my planned projects allow it. 

7 years ago

"For example, if you go looking at the stories already created, one would see that you always have a set gender, set partner, ect."

... No offense, Swiftkitty, but that's incorrect. Both of my stories allow you to be either sex, and to date / marry either sex. Hell, even my personality quiz allows you to identify as male, female, genderfluid, or non-binary, and I'm far from the first person who has provided the option to choose.  

7 years ago

Gonna have to check the derails at the door, fellas.

7 years ago

Thanks, Kiel.

7 years ago

Aw, what a pity. Best to let you know I was just fucking with you for the lulz, Derp.

7 years ago

I could tell the second you posted your "speech."

7 years ago

Are these story paths actually going to be different, or are you just talking about swapping pronouns and acting like that's meaningful?

I mean, obviously pronoun swaps aren't anything new or different in CYOAs, and a character's gender has nothing to do with whether they're likeable or well written, so it's odd to me the main focus of the OP is on that rather than many details about the actual stories planned. The 'issues' that are listed seem frankly, dull and cliched as shit, as far as something to build an entire story around. Is the purpose to be educational? Are these are all intended to be Very Special CYOA Episodes on racism or child abuse or whatever rather than engaging stories?

Edit: because I should point out we already have one of those, and I don't think it can be topped as far as a seamless blend of entertainment and valuable educational material goes.