Non-threaded

Forums » Writing Workshop » Read Thread

Find proofreaders here, useful resources, and share opinions and advice on story crafting.

My contest game entry development Poison Mara

4 years ago

So far I have zero words from an estimated zero words.  Zero title and zero goals.

4 years ago

That's...inspiring. Not really.

You picked the design a world from scratch prompt, right? That's a very fun prompt! But also open-ended.

If you are stuck for a place to start,you could try playing with the map generator at https://gmworldmap.com, or any other map generator, really. Think about the topography you get. Is the continent land-locked? Lot's of islands? Well watered or dry? Imagine if it was one kingdom, or two, or twenty. How would the difficulties or benefits of the terrain inform the interactions between kingdoms?

Or, if you want to go sci-fi, imagine it's a terraformed moon. Or sketch out a map and turn water into space and continents into planets and islands into space stations.

Sometimes the background data of the world can help jog ideas for what sort of plot would be best in it.

4 years ago

Thanks, for the advice but I have my two worlds already created from 3 years ago, lore population and background included the type of stars both are and how affects their citizens lives. This is not my first rodeo. The reason why I exactly chose this theme and no other. My problem is not lacking plot or world-building. But that is another question. 

4 years ago
Commended by mizal on 11/30/2019 9:39:01 AM
This reminded me. I wanted to offer some realistic map building tips. Best of luck.

1) Rivers converge as they head toward whatever body of water they empty into. They don't split - with the exception being the mouth of a river delta.

2) Mountains form where tectonic plates collide - or previously collided in the past.

3) Hills are generally very old mountains that have been worn down.

4) Keep in mind the impact of mountains on weather and the rain shadow effect.

5) The prevailing winds change direction as you move away from the equator.

6) Rift valleys form where tectonic plates diverge.

7) Volcanoes can form anywhere the crust is thin, but you'll typically see them along the boundaries of tectonic plates. On Earth, Iceland is one of the most volcanic places on the planet, several tectonic plates meet there.

8) A lake that does not have drainage will become a salt lake over time.

9) Lakes will drain at the easiest/lowest point. This means it will be exceptionally rare that a lake will have more than one river draining water from it.

10) A valid magical reason could abrogate these rules.

4 years ago
I think she said she isn't entering now, but these are all useful tips for map makers.

You should write an article on this stuff actually.

4 years ago
I could probably do that between Christmas and New Years. I had actually been doing some research for something I had been working on.

4 years ago

Well, It is sci-fi fiction there are no rivers mountains lakes or absolutely anything you have posted. And. the  prompt included SCI-FI . Having account most sci-fi happens in  city planets   with any elements you have pointed out, It is not realistic to expect National Geographic wildlife the games

4 years ago
I mean, as someone who has read and watched a lot of sci fi, I'd have to disagree with most of those statements.

All of them, really.

4 years ago
You consume some lame ass sci-fi

4 years ago
I have to pointedly disagree with your implicit assertion that geography, hydrology, topography, etc. are irrelevant to a sci-fi story set in a city. The landscape and resources of a planet, continent, county - you name it - always dictate what is built, where it is built, and how it is built.

I also have to agree with Mizal that your other assertions stand on some pretty shaky ground.

That aside, the prompt intentionally did not specify what type of map it had to be, just that the map has to pertain to the locality of the setting. Heck, it could even be a treasure map if it's relevant to the story.

4 years ago

Sorry, If I sounded like a entitled child. But my planet is artificial and have absolutely none of those elements  It  has a clear explanation of where they take the energy and  the events comming from be in a system with 3 stars.  I simple hate natural planets, and I don't want to write natural resources elements. Prompt say create a planet not that the planet has to be natural.

4 years ago

Current Development status -5,040 words.

Yeah, negative. I had a plot and a previous material,  but It wasn't what I think people would like so I change for something that I hope is better.

Planet Mopper

4 years ago

Current Game Name Planet Mopper Estimated world account 20,000-30,000

Plot You live in the most advanced planet in the whole infinite universes where few chosen ones can travel trough universes and create new worlds and creatures becoming their personal God. But you aren't one of those you are a simple sweeper. But suddenly events uphold and you are stranded in a new dimension and your only salvation is created your own world. Will all its complication disasters and virgin sacrifices.

For maps so far I am using Incarnate but I will update others when I use More.

GAME STRUCTURE

*INTRODUCTION
*ACT 1

*ACT2

*EPILOGUE

Planet Mopper

4 years ago

First day of development

PROMPT: Create a word from scratch. It has to have at least a map themes fantasy or sci-fi.
Game title planned PLANET MOPPER
INTRODUCTION: WORDS ESTIMATED 2,000
WORD ACCOUNT TODAY 414.
1-Presentation of universe and character’s frustration. 414/
2-Show live conditions and hardship to try to make pc desire Solve that
2.a legally
2.b Introduction In illegal aliens smuggling
2.c Sell the hero’s head in the black market
3-Event that causes the incident based upon the previous point choices.

INTRODUCTION page 1

A multitude of people from the entire galaxy are tense, longing in awe for the moment in which the arbitrators declare the beginning of the deathmatch while the light of the five moons shines mysteriously over the huge space stadium made of brilliant diamond and graphene glass.

Everyone but yourself, Guybrush Macporridge. You don’t care about that stupid Murderbowl. A handful of heroes fighting to the death to become gods … nonsense!

You just continue sweeping and scrubbing the infinite diamond crystal of the stadium floating in space, while this damned old suit doesn’t stop rubbing and stinging your parts. If you could only scratch them…

You try to forget the stinky suit, focusing on the scenery. Outer space is darkly beautiful.

This is, without doubt, the only good thing about being a space janitor, being able to observe how every day, the sunlight makes your home planet appear to be floating in the empty black of space and suddenly its light paints the sky in a million colours… So peaceful.

“GUYBRUSH MACPORRIDGE STOP PROCRASTINATING AND GO BACK TO YOUR DAMNED WORK !!” A thunderous voice destroys your tympanum through the speaker of the old and sweaty spacesuit which has a smell that reminds you of a wet dog.

“MURDER THEM !!!” You can hear the roaring yells of a million of fans excited at the idea of ??shedding more and more blood.

You gaze at the infinity and stretch your right hand effortlessly to create a space mop that works through nanobots.

This is your superpower being able to generate cleaning products from nothing. And this is your punishment, cleaning for hundreds of years the place where the true heroes forge and gain the right to create worlds or perish to the delirium of thousands of worlds.

Suddenly a lightning ball of magic fire falls a few inches from your tired feet …

“Another damn hero’s head, boss!” You complain moodily, as you know that it causes a lot of fuss in addition to paperwork, and in an hour a Sponge mop’s marathon begins on the holo television.

“Put it in the trash, he has no hero insurance. And come down at once, your turn is over.” The boss growls as the stingy guy hates that you use the damned third-hand suit.

Save the hero’s head to sell it on the net
Throw it away, but covering the proper paperwork
Pull it down with the rest of the

Planet Mopper

4 years ago
UPDATE 2,000 words and I am currently writing the second part of my introduction trying to get variety and enough to do to 3 different branches each one trying to show a different part of a poor citizen in the universe.

Starting to code several minigames

Planet Mopper Development 9 December 2019

4 years ago
DEVELOPMENT
I have 4 maps done already
I am at the last point of my first part That is present the two possible factions of the game. Current development 6,728 words
So out schedule but not bad as I really started 3 December.

I NEED DESPERATELY PROOFTESTERS SO IF SOMEONE IS INTERESTED SEND ME A MESSAGE

4 years ago
I am in 16,000 in my text editor and 13,000 in the Cys' editor. I am about to end the first part of my game that shows the life of the poorest caste and Enter in the what would happen if someone from that caste is suddenly by accident, given godlike powers but no idea about how used them.

4 years ago

That actually sounds really cool. Looking forward to your storygame. Good luck!

4 years ago
Thanks, I will like to read your review.

4 years ago

Sounds interesting! Look forward to reading it. :)

4 years ago
WELL, IT IS DONE 28,000 words. I will wait for any proof reader opinion before publishing it.