Non-threaded

Forums » Writing Workshop » Read Thread

Find proofreaders here, useful resources, and share opinions and advice on story crafting.

Visual Style

3 years ago
Was just playing a bit with styling. If somebody wants to check out the result. Here is a link. This isn't a game just a one-page test. Let me know how you like it.

Visual Style

3 years ago

Looks good! 

Visual Style

3 years ago
I'm already using dark mode on the computer, but that makes reading on mobile a lot easier on the eyes.

Visual Style

3 years ago
Stylish.

I'm in the plain camp, since I'm too lazy to mess with style, but I will say that changing things should always be done with intent.

Opening the story and not expecting the change will immediately catch my attention, and depending on how intrusive the changes are, impact my experience with reading the story (since I'll be thinking about the glowing page title rather than engaging with the story).

Wanting your stuff to look nice and be easy to read is a good thing tho, but changing the default is still creating a deviation from the expected, and that matters. To repeat myself with different words, going against convention (or in this case, default stuff) should be purposeful!

To be fair, the glowing title is fine (I guess), even if it reminds me of word art. The grey links are a little more questionable tho, since they stand out less than the writing despite choices being a major element of storygames, but since it is a light grey it should also be fine.

Overall this is the kind of style change that wouldn't piss me off.

Visual Style

3 years ago

The white on black look is whatever, but the glowing links are really sexy. I should do that in my story, like damn.

Visual Style

3 years ago

The thing is the default style isn't nice. Particularly dark on bright is an artifact of 14th century pen technology. Bright on dark is better to read. (as mizal said) The thing is these styles are really easy to create (took me 15min) and it could be integrated in your game in something like 2 mins.

I was wondering if should have a style gallery of some form for people to pick from.

Visual Style

3 years ago
Something like a style gallery would have saved a computer illiterate dumbo like me a lot of time. In the meantime, you can always check out how others have done it with: -either the extension (clicking on the dev panel and $pagetext tab), -or by looking at the page source (right mouse click, and searching for the ) Which is what I've done to make the tiniest amount of sense of the arcane and sacred HTML texts no sane mind should be able to comprehend.

Visual Style

3 years ago

I second this.