Non-threaded

Forums » Writing Workshop » Read Thread

Find proofreaders here, useful resources, and share opinions and advice on story crafting.

Are Items and Variables needed?

2 years ago
I've been looking through some of the options under the storygame creator tool. I remember items and variables being complicated back in the day, so I'd assume they are just as complicated or even more complicated now than they were back then. Is it possible to make a story without them, and just have the whole thing be option-based?

Thank you. This is probably a very stupid question, but I'm new, so cut me some slack.
(This might be the wrong forum for this, but I wasn't really sure where to put it.)

2 years ago
Not needed at all, Endmaster for instance does all his stories without any of that. I still think they're worthwhile to learn as they do let you add some neat options (such as delayed consequences to certain choices), and basically as soon as you understand IF/THEN/ELSE logic and that a variable is just like a box that stores a number, you can handle most scenarios you can think of. But the major elements most readers are still interested in here are writing quality and branching. Scripting can add some nice touches and sense of polish to that, but it won't save a story that doesn't work on its own as a story.

2 years ago
Alright, thanks.