Non-threaded

Forums » Writing Workshop » Read Thread

Find proofreaders here, useful resources, and share opinions and advice on story crafting.

Cliches

8 months ago
Are cliches bad to have in a story or are some ok. I mean clichés are cliche for aa reason but they do help stories progress. What do you guys think?

Cliches

8 months ago
It depends. Aa cliché is just aa story element that has been repeated over time so much that it's recognized on its own. Actively choosing whether to include aa cliché or not might point to some incorrect thinking. They're things that just happen. Too many might point to aa lack of creativity. Other than that, don't worry about 'em.

Cliches

8 months ago

I would go so far that it's completely okay if you use many clichés. It just depends how well you use these tropes. They're like any other tool.

Cliches

8 months ago
Darius, his name is "CaptainCool." How well do you think it's gonna go, really?

Cliches

8 months ago

Bad high effort stories are a rare gem. I pray for this to be one.

Cliches

8 months ago
Bro its gonna 'freeze' all adversary hahaha.......Im so sorry lol I had to.

Cliches

8 months ago

I'll add a bit to the previous responses: cliches can be used as starting points, but it's important to take them a step further. For instance, don't start your story with the protagonist waking up; there's a reason why readers here hate those kinds of storygames. An exceptional exception to this can be found here. Also, if you're only using archetypal characters (e.g. the self-sacrificial hero), stereotypical settings (e.g. dark, scary forest) or overused tropes (e.g. hero saves the day and wins the girl), chances are the story would feel pretty trite. 

These cliches can be executed well, but they have to serve a greater purpose than being included just because they’re a cliche. When introducing your protagonist, you can start by portraying them as a stereotype, but make sure they develop beyond that (hint: give them a desire, fear, and misbelief. Same with settings: you may use a cliche medieval kingdom with castles and cottages, but if it plays a large role in the story, give it a few unique features or a thematic significance. 

Now, when it comes to tropes, here’s what I’d suggest: only use cliches if they fit your story, not the other way around. Too many new authors start with the specific tropes they enjoy in stories, resulting in their characters, plots and storylines revolving around the cliches themselves. We see this often in badly written fanfiction. The alternative is this: start with your characters and their narrative arcs, so if you later include a trope/ cliche, it feels natural and makes sense in the overall story. The worst thing to do is forcing your characters to make a certain choice just to fulfill a cliche. Some of the best written works use several tropes, but they execute it in a way that makes it their own.

Here are a few exceptions to everything I’ve just said:

Caveat 1: You’re writing a satire. If your story is a satire intended to criticize a cliche/ utilize it to prove a point, then by all means, go ahead. Stuff as many cliches in your story as you can.

Caveat 2: The cliche isn’t a large part of your story. If you’re writing a shorter story, then it’s alright to include a few cliche side characters (e.g. helpful sidekick, wise old mentor, victim who needs saving). This has to be done purposefully—to direct the reader’s attention to the parts of the story that matters most, like the protagonist/ plot, rather than a dozen different fleshed-out characters. Another plot-related example: a side character tells the protagonist a story which relates to their overall struggle, foreshadows the theme, and runs parallel to their arc. This side story can be somewhat cliche, but because it is the message which matters most, you can minimize the words spent on it, relying upon well-known cliches familiar to the reader. But be careful not to rely too much on this device if you choose to use it. 

Caveat 3: You’re using cliches to subvert them. Imo, this is one of the most fun things to do. Take a cliche, then turn it on its head (e.g. the typical heroic protagonist turns out to be the villain all along, or the main character in a love triangle decides to reject both love interests because they represented the personification of her two negative extremes). Not only will your story be refreshing to readers, but you’ll also surprise them by taking your story in a whole new direction. A note of caution—again, this has to be consistent with your overall story; you can’t have your protagonist spend the whole story saving an important family member, only to turn around and kill them at the end. Subverting tropes only works when they are properly foreshadowed and part of a causal chain.

Final disclaimer: Just write the story you want to write— Oh wait, that’s a cliche, isn’t it? Anyway, there will be times when everything I say here is wildly incorrect, so just ignore all this unsolicited advice, as you know what works best for your story. This is more of a guide than an instruction manual.

Best of luck with your writing!

Cliches

8 months ago

It's saddening to see so much effort put into a response he probably won't take the effort to read

Cliches

8 months ago

I don't really think this is much of an effort post from Mystic.  There are not even 1000 words.

Cliches

8 months ago

Fair enough

Cliches

8 months ago
Just so you know, I read ALL the comments bro :-) Thanks for the advice !

Cliches

8 months ago

See how Mystic subverts the trope of their own advice by giving you advice and then asking to ignore it in the end? Expectations subverted

Cliches

8 months ago

You don't really want cliches. The best thing is to have certain tropes but put your own spin on them.