Non-threaded

Forums » The Lounge » Read Thread

A place to sit back, hang out, and make monkey noises about anything you'd like.

What is your favorite type of Antagonist?

9 years ago
Do you like the kind that seem to be impossible to beat until the end, or the ones who are like a shadow? I personally enjoy ones like Palpatine since he somehow managed to control both sides of the Clone Wars.

9 years ago

I like the Antagonist who is actually the protagonist.

It's more fun to read things from the villian's point of view, especially if you can always read the 'hero's' point of view later.

Still, one of my favorite antagonist's below.

9 years ago

Frollo! F*** yeah!

9 years ago

I guess I like antagonists who have an actual legitimate reason to be angry at the protagonist. The best bad guys are the ones that can actually make a case for why they are actually the good guys. It makes the story dynamic more complex, and of coarse, it always helps if your antagonist is a just a complete and total badass.

9 years ago

My favorite antagonist is the one who at least has a legitimate reason for being a villain. I hate megalomaniacal villains and the "evil for the sake of being evil" villains. I also like the "seemed like a minor character or even a good guy until the last five minutes when its revealed that they have actually been manipulating the good guys and the apparent bad guy" villain (if done correctly).

And, bonus points if the apparent bad guy teams up with the good guys to take out the real bad guy.

9 years ago

I like the sneaky ones. I also like antagonists who have decent reasons for doing whatever messed up stuff they do, instead of the old fashioned, "I do bad stuff because I'm evil!!! ... It's how I roll." cheeky

9 years ago

Hmm. It looks like we have a similar taste in antagonists. I really like the "well-intentioned extremist" villain.

9 years ago

Yep yep. They're really rare to come across, but some good examples are people who are bad guys because their family's made up of bad guys and they feel they have to be loyal to their families, and cases where people do evil type stuff because they know a lot of people will benefit in the long run.

9 years ago

But then they wouldn't really be a true Antagonist. lol Just an Anti-Hero who's secretly good and needs to find [insert friendship/truelove/apurpose/ect...] to become a good guy.

9 years ago

The term is anti-villain.

9 years ago

Two sides of the same coin.

There is a point of blending for Anti-Hero's and Anti-Villains, only distinguishable by their intentions, motives, and goals.

Here's a simplified way of putting it.

Hero: Good Actions for Good Goals.

Anti-Hero: Bad Actions for Good Goals.

Anti-Villain: Good Actions for Bad Goals.

Villain: Bad Actions for Bad Goals.

9 years ago

Well, actually, by your definition, anti-hero and anti-villain are inverses. And also, you got the definitions wrong.

Antivillains might do bad things (murder, theft) for good reasons (to save a loved one, prevent unnecessary deaths)

Antiheroes might do good things (save people, stop theft) for bad reasons (money, fame, because they get a kick out of doing it)

9 years ago

A Hero would save a village because it's the right thing to do, regardless of his actual mission.

An Anti-Hero would leave the village to burn because he has to save the kingdom.

An Anti-Villain would save the village to gain favor with the people so he can take over the kingdom.

A Villain would help burn the village and gain the loyalty of the attacks to help him take over the kingdom.

9 years ago

Famous anti-villains:

1. Magus from Chrono Trigger

2. Scar from Fullmetal Alchemist (all versions)

3. Ganondorf from Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker

4. Toujou Shingo from Biomeat: Nectar

5. Darth Vader (to an extent) from Star Wars

6. Ozymandias from Watchmen

7. Vivian from Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door

Note: I don't like all of these; I'm just giving examples.

9 years ago

I disagree with several of those.

For one, Ganondorf was not an Anti-Villain, he was a simple villain. He wanted to take the triforce and remove the ocean before conquering Hyrule because he wanted to live in a place where the winds were nice(or something like that).

That doesn't sound very Anti-Villain sounding to me.

Darth-Vader is an Anti-Hero.

9 years ago

Actually, Ganondorf coveted the wind for his people who were having to steal for a living. His actions were bad, but his intentions were good. Also, Darth Vader hero. He turned evil because he wanted to prevent the death of his loved ones.

9 years ago

Darth Vader follows the anti-hero, tragic hero, and fallen hero path.

9 years ago

That's what I meant. This stupid message thingy keeps trying to delete my text.

9 years ago

So why did you stick him into the Anti-Villain list if you think he is an Anti-hero?

9 years ago

Sorry, I meant "Darth Vader is not an anti-hero". Guh, I'm so out of it today. He is clearly an anti-villain.

9 years ago

But how does Darth Vader not qualify as an anti-hero? His main goal was to protect those that he loves, which leads to him becoming a tragic/fallen hero.

9 years ago

He is an anti-villain because he did bad things in order to learn the secrets to protect Padme(at first, anyway).

Han is a better example of an anti-hero (at first). He helps the good guys...for money. Also, his killing of Greedo (Yes, Han shot first, dammit) helps secure him a spot in this category fairly early on.

9 years ago

I would say pre-suit Vader was the anti-hero and post Mustafar duel Vader was the anti-villain. Keep in mind that not all anti-heros do good for a bad goal (eg. Batman, Lelouch vi Britannia, Wolverine, Kratos)

9 years ago

Batman's an antihero?

9 years ago

Considering that he has killed people before, is willing to beat the living hell out of anyone to get information, and is generally feared by the police, yes he is an anti-hero.

9 years ago

Captain America does 2/3 things you mentioned, ha ha. 

9 years ago

"feared by police" is the big one, though. His intent is to scare the shit out of people, he's essentially a terrorist, while Captain America is more of a straight-on hero/courage symbol.

9 years ago

Spider-Man is feared by the police :P

Batman is a vigilante, not an anti-hero.

9 years ago

Spiderman isn't feared by police. They usually welcome his help as they sit back and let him do everything. Spiderman doesn't go to the extremes that Batman does, save the time he killed the man who he thought killed his uncle.

Batman is openly thought of as being a public menace, a threat, and as stated above, a terrorist. Batman knows and pretty much embraces this which is why he isn't afraid to crack a few skulls vs simply tying someone up.

9 years ago

>_>

<_<

"Spider-man's a menace to society"-J. Jonah Jameson.

Batman is bffs with Commissioner Gordon.

9 years ago

Are you really going to quote the man that will put anything in the paper that will make it sell. You know that Jameson was just trying to get a headliner.

Being friends with one cop doesn't mean that all of the other cops won't be afraid of him.

When it comes to Batman, people fear him. This includes the people he saves and the police. When it comes to Spiderman, people love, hate, and are annoyed by him. This includes the people he saves, the police, and almost every hero/villain who has encountered him.

9 years ago

No, I'm quoting the person that made sure everyone (in, at least, the Spidey tv shows that I've watched) fear Spider-Man greatly (aside from the chicks, who like to kiss him regardless).

Gordon is the commissioner, not just a cop.

And the question is, why do they fear him? Same reason as they used to fear Spider-Man: Newspapers (and in Batman's case, Harvey Dent.) Doesn't mean Batman is an antihero. And which heroes fear batman? Haha, aside from Superman because he got his ass beat.

9 years ago

Even with the newspapers Spiderman was still loved. This was probably due to the fact that people always see him save people, so calling him a menace isn't enough to make people fear him when they know he is saving someone's life.

The commissioner is on good terms with Batman, but it still doesn't stop other cops from shooting at him is what I was trying to say. Batman builds himself upon using fear, from his voice, to his costume, to his preferred time of activity (night). Hell, if Batman were real, I'd be scared of him even if I knew he was of no threat to me. The newspaper just added on to the feat that Batman already built.

9 years ago

So... he scaring criminals makes you an anti-hero?

9 years ago

I think we can all agree that Amanda Waller is one of (if not the) best antihero in Gotham anyway.

9 years ago

And one of the fattest black women to ever show up in a kids' TV show that wasn't a redshirt.

9 years ago

Not the "kid-friendly" cartoon network Batman. You've all been lied to. Mwahahahaha.

9 years ago

I was referring to the original Vader, not "smart kid becomes stupid teen becomes stupider adult" Vader from the prequels.

9 years ago

In that case I agree with Vader being an anti-villain. I also hate what they did to him in the prequel. Only Lucas could make a badass like Vader look like a annoying kid with whiny anger issue that could have been stopped long before he began falling. If you think about it, it's all Obi-Wan's fault. He could have stopped everything.

9 years ago

http://comicsalliance.com/jar-jar-binks-is-an-abomination-say-it/

Be warned. It's kinda gorey, but I think you will like it.

9 years ago

Lol I had a couple of those on my mind. Some that come to my mind are

1. Venom from spider man

2. Voldemort (despite the evilness of the dark lord, his actions are inspiring in the Harry potter series for the characters)

3. Cat woman from barman

4. President coin from hunger games

5. The go nether from the walking dead

and 6. Walter white from breaking bad (he's one crazy dude LOL)

9 years ago

What exactly do you guys define as an Anti-Villain and/or Anti-Hero?

9 years ago

Search "Tv tropes antihero" and "Tv tropes anti villain"

9 years ago

I did, I know what they say.

9 years ago

Sorry, I didn't mean to sound rude. I was just making sure that we are on the same page.

9 years ago

A lot of different sites say a lot of different things. I know of several sites that support my views on Anti's and I know of several sites that support your views.

I just stick with calling them the same coin and being heads/tails.

9 years ago

1. Venom is in no way an anti-villain. He has no traits of one.

2. Voldemort is just evil, and conquers for a thirst of power. He's not an anti-villain.

3. Catwoman is anti-HERO actually chaotic neutral.

4. Coin isn't an anti-villain. She's just a villain.

9 years ago

I second all of those. I don't really like Voldemort. He's really tame for as evil as he is supposed to be.

He could make literally any anime/manga villain roll their eyes (Before, you know, setting off to viciously murder a bunch of children and rape their parents before setting fire to an orphanage...full of puppies).

9 years ago

I always liked the kind of villains who are rarely seen, but are actually pulling all the strings and making sure the hero screws up without him knowing. A mastermind, if you will, who, behind his large amounts of goons and connections, can just be an intelligent little man who hates the protagonist.

Kinda like Near from death note, only a villain haha.

9 years ago

I hate my ipad spell check, number 5 was the governor from walking dead 

9 years ago

Or Sun Li in Jade Empire.

9 years ago

The ones who don't monologue and just kill the damn hero already.

9 years ago

Yeah, that never happens, though.

9 years ago

I think that's why it's Drak's favorite. lol

9 years ago

I like antagonists, but they always screw up at the end (When they stupidly let the idiotic, undeserving heroes kill them).

9 years ago

Exactly. Then again, movies where the villains win are usually suckish.

9 years ago

I always hated when villains did that. There is no logical reason as to why you tell your victim your whole plan before killing him/her. Unless you're Joker who actually does so because it's part of his plan.

9 years ago

Or you're really just trying to impress the hero because the only reason you became a hero is out of envy/perverse adoration for the hero.

9 years ago

When done properly, I really like Magnificent Bastards like the original Phantom of the Opera and the Joker from the Dark Knight series.

When the story doesn't take itself too seriously, the classic mustachio'ed guy with an accent is great, but a mustached villain without an accent is like a donut without sprinkles, and without the minimum amount of cunning, he doesn't have frosting, and without a bit of insanity, he doesn't have glazing either, thus making him a very, very boring donut.

I also like villains that...

Screw it, I like villains.

I'll come up with a top ten list eventually...

9 years ago

Hyde?

9 years ago

17. The hunter from Bambi

16. Jaws

15. The Russian dude from that one Rocky movie.

14. Vampider. He's just an action figure and not even canon, I know, but he's twice as awesome as Venom.

13. The villain from Se7en, even if his voice did get annoying from time to time.

12. Darth Vader.

11. Amon Goeth from Schindler's list.... Godwin's law...

10. Hans Gruber from Diehard.

9. Micheal Meyers.

8. Jigsaw.

7. Anton Chigurh, because he was fucking awesome.

6. The Postal Dude, for being Trevor from GTA, but with more charisma and brutality.

5. The Joker. Superman is the only superhero who's saved someone in real life, the Joker's the only villain who's directly killed anyone.

4. Cthulhu and the rest of the elder gods have been the only actual villains who, even with their nigh-omnipotence and godly powers, hardly even need to appear to be as menacing and terrifying as any other villain. They're some of the few villains that usually win.

3. Joan Crawford in Mommie Dearest, she's as creepy as fuck, and also very villainous...

2. Hannibal Lecter, no explanation needed.

1. Alex Delarge from A Clockwork Orange... I don't know why, he just had such a villainous appeal, and he changed Johnny Depp's rendition of Willy Wonka for me forever.

9 years ago

How is Michael Meyers up there but Jason and Freddie aren't. Meyers couldn't beat either of them.

9 years ago

Jason is mentally challenged and disfigured, and mostly silent. Therefore I consider him a ripoff of Micheal. Freddie doesn't have quite the same appeal, Micheal just seems a helluva lot realer to me. and besides, Micheal seems almost omnipotent, and the only one who's not even taking any joy from his killings or doing it for any form of revenge, it's just as natural to him as breathing. Micheal is nearly invisible when he wants to be, he's completely silent, incredibly strong, hell, he seems to be everywhere at once. Jason and Freddie are petty plays on serial killers with supernatural bits tied in, but Micheal Meyers is indifferent, powerful, silent, and unfeeling. Micheal Meyers is Death incarnate.

9 years ago

Meyers is not that strong though. Did you forget how an old man managed to beat him down with a 2x4? Also, I remember hearing somewhere that he has some sort of issue with some girl, possibly the one he spends an entire movie trying to kill. Jason is practically invisible when he moves and that's why I give him some points. Imagine how hard moving that fast and silent must be when you're a big tower of meat. Freddie strikes much more fear into people than Meyers does. All he has to do is wait for you to sleep (which you eventually will).

There's also Leatherface, who I feel is just as real as Meyers. Now, could he beat Meyers? No, he's just too stupid.

9 years ago

Meyers is very strong, he's pinned someone to a wall (above the floor) with one hand, while they were struggling. Freddie and Jason to me are just poorer characters in my honest opinion, simply because of how they treat their killings.

9 years ago

Jason just slaughters his victims. Meyers takes his sweet time killing, probably to savor the kill. Freddie will torture the victim if it's a male, and sexually violate the victim if it's a female.

9 years ago

10.Ganondorf (LOZ: Windwaker)-Kidnapper of small children or loving king?

9.Zant (LOZ: Twilight Princess)- bat-shit crazy usurper king with badass headgear

8.Envy (Fullmetal Alchemist- both versions) 

7.Scorpius (Farscape)-Tragic backstory? Check. Villainous but noble nature? Check. Implanting a mental clone of himself into the brain of the good guy in order to extract the good guy's years of research on wormholes and also prevent the good guy from ever killing him? Ch-wait what?

6. Kefka( Final Fantasy VI)- Kills an entire country by poisoning it's water supply, orphans an entire village's child population, becomes a god and spends several years just killing people like ants. In fact, I believe the only reason he could die is because he wanted to. I mean, he was a god of magic. How did the good guys beat him? magic. He let them win, but why? That is still a mystery. He also likes the sound of screaming.

5. Pride (Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood)-He's so evil that he managed to disgust Kimblee ( the guy who kills people for fun, gets turned on by the thought of dying, and finds the sounds of screaming to be relaxing).

4. The Daleks (Doctor Who)-Exterminate. Exterminate! EXTERMINATE!!!

3.Sun Li (Jade Empire)- He's such a magnificent bastard, even in a game where one of the minor characters bears the title "the magnificent bastard".

2.Darth Vader (Star Wars: A New Hope)-Granted, Lucas ruined the entire series and made Vader look like a dweeb.Still, Vader kicked ass in the original movie, especially when he first appears...just walking out of a cloud of laser smoke...like a Sith lord.

1. A tie between Magus and Lavos (Both from Chrono Trigger) Magus was a hardcore villain who sided with a bunch of evil creatures in a war against humanity. Why? Practice to get revenge against Lavos. Lavos implanted himself in the Earth's core during humanity's infancy, granting humans the power to use magic and then insuring that the human population would continue to grow and grow. Why? So, he could eat us. That's right, he manipulated humanity's evolution in order to secure an adequate food source for himself. When the heroes find this out, they all have a BSOD moment...but they get over it and channel their despair and hatred into pure "kick that alien worm's ass" fuel.

9 years ago

Dr. Horrible is my favorite and always will be. 

Others I like:

Artemis Fowl

Repoman

Sweeney Todd

Tai Lung and Shin

And others. 

So typically those who are actually a threat and are a bit of power hungry but still have a reason for being so and this who are telling the story. 

9 years ago

What movie is doctor horrible from?

9 years ago

Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog.

9 years ago

Omg, yes. Moriarty is probably my fav tho

9 years ago

I like 2 types:

1. Villains that have valid reasons to be villains.

The Red-Hood (Robin #2): He got killed and brought back to life so that he could kill people. Kinda sucks. Also his Dad most-likely died and his Mom was on drugs.

2-face: Half of his fucking face got melted off, what did you expect?

Etc.

2. Villains that are the main character in disguise.

I cant think of any, but there are some video games ive played with some.

9 years ago

My favorites are as follows:

The Chessmaster / Magnificent bastard: Yeah, he's a villain, but he knows what he's doing. He's not there for comedy, he's not there just for the hero to beat up. He knows how to pull everyone's strings, he knows how to work the system, he's always one step ahead of the good guy, he knows how to exploit your weaknesses, and he's just a smug son of a bitch, but even if you hate him, you really can't help admiring just how incredibly good he is at being so bad.

The antagonist protagonist: For video games, this is the villain I get to control, the time when I get to be the bad guy, and the change of perspective is a lot of fun. Of course, for movies and TV, this is the series that shows everything from the bad guy's point of view, usually proving that he's not so evil or not so insane after all--if only in his own mind.

Sympathetic villain: This is often the villain that could've been a hero, would've been a good person, or maybe even should've been, but something went wrong. Life screwed him over, he lost someone he loved and snapped under the weight of grief ... whatever the reason, it's the villain you identify with, the one you learn to care about.

The Noble Demon: Not really a full-on villain, this one, closer to an anti-hero. He's a guy with a moral code of his own. He doesn't play by a hero's rules, he doesn't follow society's standards, he does bad things and isn't a good guy or a good role model for anyone ... but he has standards. He has a conscience. He has a sense of honor, duty, even compassion when it comes down to it. In fact, he sometimes has a heart of gold, buried way, way, freaking way down in there.

9 years ago

I like the ones that causes major downfall of protagonists without anyone knowing it was them, like quan chi from mortal kombat.

9 years ago

I like ones that are neutral-evil. It's all in perspective.

Like I read this story and there was the good guys and the bad guys. Actually, though, you could have just as easily called the bad guys good and the good guys bad. So there was this Emperor ("bad") and he was a likable-ish guy. 

So one of his Generals (who was a horrid general, btw) accidentally pushed one of their greatest fighters to hard and he died (he had this thing where he was big and tough, but he couldn't feel pain so his body ripped apart and he didn't even know it). When an advisor asked why he didn't just kill the General, the emperor said "You do not kill a horse because it knocked over it's trough, do you? You've ridden this horse for many years. It is of great value" or something.

So this General muffs up again and he accidentally kills a captain (who, btw was a 12 year old. Doesn't matter if he was mature beyond his years, he was still 12) and his crown guard (IT WAS REALLY VERY TOUCHING). So the emporer gets a bit outraged, slightly nostalgic and kinda sad. Promptly orders the general to be executed. advisors like "wait, wut, thought he was of value or something". And the emperor says "Yes, but when your horse breaks it's leg or refuses to run, or God forbids throw you off, you do away with it."

So he recognizes that people have value, but he knows when he values them to much.

I also enjoy the sneaky amusing protagonists.

9 years ago

oh, yes, forgot to add.

I rather like this guy

He's like a giant angst pudding who misses his mommy. But he is really very terrifying. With the music and all.

Oh yes. And the pigmask army is just...so....darling-ish... I mean, if you don't look at what they are doing. Actually, THEY don't even know what they are doing. And Porky? What a horrid fate! It made me feel awful!

Have any of you seen the original ending to MOTHER3? 

IT'S NIGHTMARE FUEL