Non-threaded

Forums » The Lounge » Read Thread

A place to sit back, hang out, and make monkey noises about anything you'd like.

Trying to understand people.

9 years ago

So...I'm not sure how this works in other countries, but I notice that people in America are easily offended. Not all of course but I have come across many people in my lifetime who will get offended over the slightest things. It's to the point that some people will even be offended when you are trying to be polite. People even get offended on behalf of someone else that may or may not be offended.

I remember when I was asking a Chinese person about China and a person next to me that my question was really ignorant. I told them that it was ignorant which is why I asked the question in the first place.

9 years ago
people in America *people who are idiots which just so happen to make up a large portion of the American population

FTFY

9 years ago

@Ford

My god, you've gotten fat.

9 years ago

C- joke.

9 years ago

F.

9 years ago

Here's the thing about being [insert minority group here] -- depending on how often you have to deal with it, you can get kind of tired of other people's ignorance, however politely that ignorance is expressed. Which is not to say that people don't get offended out of proportion to the issue at hand... but it may be a case of that particular question or comment being the last straw.

Or possibly you're being more offensive than you realize. I'd be curious to know what you consider to be the 'slightest things'...

9 years ago

I hate when a few black people around me point every little thing as "racist".

9 years ago

I had asked the Chinese man, who as I said was born there, how strict people are with education. I'm already aware that value education greatly there, but I wanted more details.

That's when the person next to me claimed I was being rude. >.<

9 years ago

If the dude was actually from China then you didn't really ask anything out of line and the other person who probably didn't even know the whole situation was just being a white knight in an attempt to look like a beacon of tolerance.

9 years ago

That's really weird, since it's hard to see anything at all offensive in your question.

9 years ago

My exact words were, "Is it true that the parents in China are really strict about the education there?"

I'm going to assume that the lady thought I was trying to make a joke at the man's expense. He answered my question though and I didn't notice anything that would hint to being bothered.

9 years ago

She was probably a Tumblr user. Just ignore PC people or make fun of them, anything else is only benefiting them since you are paying attention.

9 years ago

I think that's the one that really bothers people, the "getting offended on someone's else's behalf." 

Do people really not get that that's also offensive-- that you're basically deciding that the other person needs you to step in and protect them from the potentially offensive question?

(Of course, you're allowed to be prejudiced and offensive in the name of tolerance.)

9 years ago

Yeah, people getting offended on someone else's behalf is the annoying one.

Anyway Danaos, didn't you say you were an Aspie?

Turn the tables around and when someone is saying you're being offensive, tell them they're being bigots for not understanding your condition of not getting certain appropriate social habits. When they try to defend themselves, just insist that they're being even more hateful.

Seems to work for everyone else.

9 years ago

I don't like to throw out that I have Asperger's just to defend what I said and I think that people who use it as a crutch are annoying. Besides, most people have a huge misunderstanding on what being an Aspie is, thus I don't bother explain it to someone I find intolerable.

9 years ago

^So true.

People (without Asperger's) usually put a stigma on people with Asperger's. They see the differences in behavior, but they rarely consider what makes us behave differently. I've had to live with that for the last 18 years of my life. It sucks and I think it is starting to make me bitter towards "normal" people. Still, I really try to avoid pulling the Asperger's card.

9 years ago

Well pulling the Asperger card, would put you in same group as Mousepaw. You don't want to be like Mousepaw (Not that I think she really had it anyway).

9 years ago

Nah, there is actually an IQ requirement to be diagnosed. :P

9 years ago

Umm...I just said I try not to pull it. I'll let everyone know I have it, but I won't ask for people's sympathy on the grounds that I have it. Of course, that has more to do with the what comes around goes around thing than actual pride or dignity. I know that if I start requesting that people treat me differently because of a handicap, then it will just come around to bite me in the ass. Really, I try to act like a normal human being. Does it work? Usually not.

And I really hope this post doesn't contradict everything I just said in it.

9 years ago

Fool! It's not a handicap.

9 years ago

I didn't really say it was. I meant that, if I did what Endmaster was talking about, I would essentially be accusing people of taking advantage of a perceived handicap. Of course, I can't really tell if you are joking or if you are actually calling me a fool. I seriously hope for the former.

9 years ago

I was joking. Had I been serious I may have gone into much more intricate name calling.

9 years ago

Okay. I would have never guessed you also had Asperger's, though.

9 years ago

Maybe not a physical handicap, but...

9 years ago

Eh, it has its goods and its bads. I'm not really sure handicap is an appropriate word, either.

9 years ago

Its good? Such as?

9 years ago

Increased focus and attention span. A lot of British code breakers during WW II were believed to have Asperger's. Some people with Asperger's are really good at finding loopholes in things and exploiting them.

9 years ago

So all Jews have Asperger's?

9 years ago

No.

9 years ago

But that describes them so perfectly...

9 years ago

Dare you to say that to Tan's face. ;P

9 years ago

Aspies have a greater ability to focus on something for long periods of time, thus are ideal employees to have. Capable of making plans efficiently, bad side is possible panic if said plan does not go accordingly. Aspies generally have an above average IQ, and extended vocabulary. Highly independent. Different ways of perceiving the world leads to innovative ideas harder to achieve by a neurotypical (sp?). There quite a few more benefits of it as well as disadvantages.

9 years ago

Ritualistic behavior is also another perceived disadvantage. There was this one story about a little girl with Asperger's who ordered a hamburger at a certain restaurant, and it always had to be made a certain way. If something was wrong with it, she would shut down completely, as she did in one case. When this happened, everybody was talking about how much of a spoilt brat she was because of it; they really pissed me off.

Of course, I don't eat hamburgers, but there are certain things I do that I feel compelled to do in a certain fashion. If something prevents me from doing these things in this certain fashion, I can't think at all. It's like my thought process just stops.

9 years ago

Well, unless those people knew her personally, you can't really blame them for acting that way. Sometimes it's hard to tell the difference.

9 years ago

No, the story stated that she had Asperger's. The people commenting on it might have been ignorant as to what Asperger's was, but, still, it irks me to see people like that.They assume that, because they wouldn't do that, nobody else has any legitimate reason. It makes me furious, outraged, sick with anger.

Edit: The last part was just a Skyward Sword joke.

9 years ago

Calm down James, your Assburgers are acting up again.

9 years ago

This is definitely a personal attack. ^

9 years ago

How?

9 years ago

That's OCD

9 years ago

It occurs in people with Asperger's too.

9 years ago

Yeah but that also falls into the Aspie classification.

9 years ago

But its a separate mental illness

9 years ago

It is separate indeed but I wouldn't call it an illness. Anyway, the OCD similarities in Asperger's are only a  part of what classifies them as such. There are many other factors, OCD similarities is just one of them.

9 years ago

OCD is a mental illness. How can you not call it as such? XD 

9 years ago

Just my own view of things that I'd rather not get into with you at the moment.

9 years ago

But.... That's what the definition of mental illness is

9 years ago

Well, mental illness usually refers to any mental state that deviates from the normal standard, so, in a way, you are correct. But, I believe that Danaos  is referring to the stigma that is often associated with the term.

9 years ago

Basically that sums it up. I just didn't feel like debating definitions so soon after I came back.

9 years ago

Doesn't mean it's not a mental illness. XD 

and I can hear the argument for Aspergers, but OCD? In the stronger versions, it makes people hazards to themselves and others. It's not just wanting to keep your pencils in a specific order. (

9 years ago

Oh...my mistake then. I thought you were referring to Asperger's. I had actually recently had this woman talk at me about how I am handicapped, have a disability, and a major learning disorder so I'm probably still stuck on that. I haven't read into the major cases of OCD to know what they do at that level.

9 years ago

Don't worry, my now-ex-stepmother used to tell me that I would be living in a group home or imprisoned, if I didn't behave exactly like she wanted me to. Also, I've had a therapist say that I was a dangerous sociopath and a friend of my Dad used to always tell him that she thought I was severely mentally retarded. Also, a lot of people in school called me a retard when the teacher wasn't looking. They knew I couldn't do anything about it; the school staff treated me like I was retarded too.

9 years ago

I hope I'm offending anyone by asking this, but what is Aspergers? I've never heard of it.

9 years ago

It is a mild mental "disorder" falling on the autism spectrum. If you read the posts my Danaos and myself above, you will get a general idea of it. Basically, people with Asperger's are really focused, usually highly intelligent, take things very literally (usually, but some grow out of it), have ritual behaviors, and a bunch of other stuff.

9 years ago

I did read the posts above. I suppose a better way to put it is 'How do you diagnose aspergers (<--did I spell it correctly?) ? What makes it so that you could tell them apart from other people?'

9 years ago

Off the top of my head if a person: has repetitive movements or gestures that they constantly do our of habit or comfort, avoids eye contact or makes forced eye contact, has narrow interests that they beat to death with research and tell you everything about upon being asked, follows a specific daily routine and becomes frustrated if said routine is interrupted, is clumsy or uncoordinated, has an unusually high vocabulary for his/her age, appears to lack empathy, has much difficulty showing and expressing emotion, instead sees the 'big picture' as a collection of individual strokes, tends to over analyze something, has difficulty following simple instructions (usually due to over analyzing) they have symptoms of Asperger's.

I'm sure I've missed a lot but there you go.

9 years ago

Never heard of clumsiness being a symptom before.

Really I thought Tacocat had it considering she tends to take every literally on here, like James does. In fact James comes off as pretty emotional most of the time.

Danaos doesn't seem to have those symptoms though so it's going to differ from person to person.

9 years ago

If you knew me in real life, I have a few of those, but not all. Also I said Aspies had difficulty showing emotion (though I have read that Aspies are more emotional) and people constantly claim me to be 'robotic and monotone'.

9 years ago

I don't think I have it. I don't know though.

9 years ago

I don't know how to interpret that, but, yes, I am fairly emotional, some times. I try not to be, though.

9 years ago

Well, Taco's 12, so it's expected of her to take everything literally. You should be surprise that she is as coherent as she is, just base on her age. 

9 years ago

I don't really take things personally though. I messed around with coins a bit because usually he is quite hilarious when he tries to insult people. I took it a bit too far though and it got deleted.

9 years ago

I think self awareness is the symptom which makes people think they are clumsy cause they have f'd up emotions which result in self loathing. 

9 years ago

Self-loathing = clumsiness???

9 years ago

No, it just makes you think you are clumsier than you are when you are actually as clumsy as the average joe. The difference is that you look at it too much.

9 years ago

Ah. Vivid vocabulary, social awkwardness, focus on one particular subject, item, etc. Those are some things most commonly associated with Aspies.

9 years ago

Did you say what I just said but shorter? angry

9 years ago

He also left out a few things that you had. Thank you both though.

9 years ago

No, I posted first. Sorry if I offended you, thoughl.

9 years ago

He posted first, but your's came about a second after his.

9 years ago

Your's beneath his. ;P

9 years ago

What is that face anyway? It looks like it's winking and sticking out its tongue. Is that what it's supposed to look like?

9 years ago

Your question made me laugh. XD 

Yes, it's what you said it is. 

9 years ago

Okay. It just looks a bit weird. XD

9 years ago

Such as?

9 years ago

I'm not sure I want to tell you. :)

9 years ago

Oh come on, you already told me, and everyone almost everything. 

9 years ago

I'm not sure how to interpret that. Surely, I haven't told y'all everything. Either way, I guess I can tell you via PM. Would you like me to mark all my major arteries with a sharpie while I'm at it?

9 years ago

With a sharpie? xD

9 years ago

Being blind can increase your other senses, but it's still a handicap.

9 years ago

Um, no. It doesn't increase your other senses; it just makes you more attune to them. 

9 years ago

Close enough, ha ha. 

9 years ago

Did someone say 'physical handicap'?! IM OFFENDED! 

wait...no im not...carry on. 

nate

9 years ago

Hey there, Wheelchair! Jkjkjkjkjk

9 years ago

Lock.

9 years ago

Coins, my friends call me Wheels, speedy, speed racer etc...I use my wheelchair as conversattion when i am on stage for comedy. I love breaking down the PC crowd.

nate

9 years ago

I was worried you would take it the wrong way...

9 years ago

Oh, I didn't know you were...wheelchair-ed. Not that it's any of my business.

9 years ago

Born and raised James. Its no big deal. I dont like being 'teased' about it, but playful jabs from people I know dont bother me at all. its all good. 

nate

9 years ago

So, I assume it's a congenital condition or something you developed when you were really young.

9 years ago

Hopefully cybernetics and synthetic limbs reach a level of development to where you become a super man capable of Chuck Norris kicking anyone into another dimension.

9 years ago

I'm always like that.

@Danaos

9 years ago

Always like what?

9 years ago

"Chuck Norris kicking people into another dimension" is what I believe he is saying.

9 years ago

You're a demon on wheels, Fleshy ^_^

9 years ago

When I was a kid I had potential to develop aspergers. Does that allow me to make fun of you guys?

9 years ago

No. I'm not even sure you can "have potential to develop Asperger's". I'm pretty sure it's a hit-or-miss thing. Also, no, just no. I'm sure there are enough people unlike you for you to make fun of elsewhere.

9 years ago

I had signs!

Anyway, can I at least call you spergs or is that offensive?

9 years ago

Lol, I honestly don't care but I'm sure James might throw a fit.

EDIT: That sounds like an alien race. o_O

9 years ago

For future reference, don't assume you know how I am going to react. Since he asked, I honestly have no problem with him using the term "Spergs".

9 years ago

In general or cause of the question? What if I called you a sperg now, sperg?

9 years ago

I will honestly try not to take offense, unless you use it in a derogatory manner.

9 years ago

Meh, I don't like using it anyway. Aspie is shorter.

9 years ago

No, it isn't. Sperg = 1 syllable. Aspie = 2.

9 years ago

Meh, it sounds better. And more syllables doesn't mean it is less letters. And yes, I know the letters have an equal numbers, that's not what I said.

9 years ago

You said it's shorter. Neither its letter nor its pronunciation is shorter...

9 years ago

Holy shit you can read! Well, you can partly read. Otherwise you'd see that I admitted it has the same letters.

9 years ago

Yep, and apparently better than you can count. :)

9 years ago

And how is that a big thing? I would hope that everyone on this site could read.

9 years ago

It doesn't matter what you admitted to. You claimed that it's shorter in the original post, and now you're attempting but failing to come up with a good explanation for your mistake. 

9 years ago

When did I attempt to cover up that sinful mistake of mine? I admit I was wrong. 

Seriously, people on the net try to make a debate out of everything.

9 years ago

I don't see where the argument is if he already admitted to his mistake. It's not like he's trying to cover it up or take it back.

9 years ago

"And yes, I know the letters have an equal numbers, that's not what I said."

He's right. That's not what he said. What he said was: "Aspie is shorter.", which is incorrect, and which he haven't admit to. 

9 years ago

"When did I attempt to cover up that sinful mistake of mine? I admit I was wrong."

He literally just said this.

9 years ago

It was after I called him out on it. 

9 years ago

Yeah and people can make mistakes. It was relatively minor and you are bloating it up without reason.

9 years ago

Welcome to the interwubz. Everyone's retarded.

9 years ago

I was going to ignore it, after he admitted to his mistakes, until you came in...You're the one who's continuing to drive this conversation. 

9 years ago

Hmm...sure, okay.

9 years ago

Well, the conversation is about Drako. I don't see why Danaos's interference should result in you continuing to harrass Drako, in my humble opinion.

9 years ago

James is right you know.

You should stop harassing me!

9 years ago

I was merely explaining to Danaos why I said what I said, since he wanted an explanation. I don't see how that is in any way "harassing Drako".  

9 years ago

Stop touching me there!

9 years ago

I was referring to the same post what you quoted was in.

9 years ago
Spergs is better than james... I like it :D

9 years ago

Shut up, you fat bovine asshole.

It's not the worst thing I've ever been called.

9 years ago

Hey now. No labeling, or name calling. 

9 years ago
Nicknames are fine though :D

9 years ago

Some don't consider it a slur.

9 years ago

What's a slur? 

9 years ago

It's words which mean the same thing as other words but are considered inapropriate for some reason. Like calling a Japanese man a Jap, a black guy a nigger, a Greek/Italian a wag.

Seriously though, they are derogatory terms.

9 years ago

Now, we don't 'preciate no racism 'round these parts.

9 years ago
or calling james a sperg :s but that's none of my business :3

9 years ago

An American a A-Can?

9 years ago

I just thought they called us a bunch of fat, racist dumbshits.

9 years ago

Or maybe, ya know, unlike 'Murika we don't have slurs.

9 years ago

I have a hard time believing that, given how quickly you were to use one on me and Danaos. That, and you seem very well acquainted with a lot of racial slurs.

9 years ago

Yes, in Greece we use American slurs :/

9 years ago

Because Drako...We! Are! Rome! America!

9 years ago

And we're the ones who get accused of stealing everyone else's accomplishments?

9 years ago

So :/ isn't enough? Or was that a joke? I really don't know what's the deal with you.

9 years ago

"I really don't know what's the deal with you."

Good. I'd be concerned if you did. Anyway, it was a joke.

9 years ago

I could tell it was a joke. Why would you be concerned if he could tell it was a joke?

9 years ago

That's not what I meant, TC.

9 years ago

Well, what did you mean then?

9 years ago

I meant that, sometimes, I like to be unpredictable.

9 years ago

Google Is mah answer.

9 years ago

People have to show off how tolerant they are. A lot of the time they could care less about whether the person is actually offended or not. I've seen people do things like scream at someone who referred a black boy as black because "calling him black was racist." People who do this care about how they appear more than the person they are defending. They use minorities to raise their self image. They are selfish creatures that would probably insult the very people they defended, if it was seen as right to do by society.

People also get primed to see things as offensive and discriminative. There was a study I learned about in a social psychology class where women were given a disfiguring scar made of special effects make up. They were all shown their appearance in a mirror. The experimenters then said that they wanted to do a few last minutes touches. Half the women had the makeup removed without their knowledge. The women were  sent out in public and videotaped for awhile. Both the women with the scar makeup on and the women without the scar makeup reported feeling discriminated against for the scar and that people stared at the scar.

9 years ago

Damn, that experiment sounds dope

9 years ago

I would say that this proves that people think anything you say is automatically offensive for themselves and others.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gfNRO5-hUuc

9 years ago

WELL!

The moral of the story:

Only ask those questions if they ARE from said country, and only if they're not a stranger.

Personally, I don't get why most americans are so racist. Probably because their ancestors owned slaves, but that's besides the point.

And if they aren't racist, they're overly protective of other races.

WHAT'S UP WITH THAAAAT?

Why don't we just IGNORE their race altogether? Just treat them as another sentient being. Seriously.

Racist jokes are still ok with me, though.

9 years ago

The only people that I've met that are racist are all from Colorado, and that's one of three states that I've lived in. It's a stereotype that most Americans are racist. Supposedly, most of the slave owners were Christen (I mean no offense to Christens, or anyone else if they somehow take offense at this), but that doesn't mean that they're all racist.

9 years ago

I see no reason to be offended unless you intend to use it against Christianity. ^_^

9 years ago

I wouldn't ever do it on purpose, I put that in in case someone somehow got offended by that. Some people get offended by the smallest things, like in the first post up there.

9 years ago

I thought you were Christian, TC. Regardless, what does their religion have to do with the fact that they were slave owners? Or did I completely misinterpret that paragraph?

9 years ago

There are quite a few verses in the bible that mention slavery, ownership of slaves that is.

9 years ago

So far, about 30% of the Christians I've met are assholes....

9 years ago

The ones I have met in real life, are totally fine. They avoid debates but they are fine with everything else. 

9 years ago

They are occasionally irreverent, hypocritical, and falsely pious (like "oh, this tornado was really the best thing that could happen to us"). Still, occasionally, you'll meet a nice one. Of course, those people are probably nice by nature, not on account of their religious beliefs. Of course, I could be wrong.

9 years ago

I'm not sure about the slavery part. It's hard to think of any country in existence that hasn't had slavery at some point in its existence. Plus, this guy was from China, otherwise I would not have asked him.

9 years ago

Well, im just emphasizing that they may think their race is better, or something.

Actually, I have no clue what I just said.

I was probably hallucinating.

9 years ago

Can you reiterate the last paragraph?

9 years ago

I asked the guy who was from China how strict the parents are over there, as far as education goes. The woman next to me told me that I was being disrespectful and ignorant by asking that. I then told her that ignorance is simply not knowing something, which was the purpose of asking the question in the first place.

9 years ago
Contradictory statements are the best statements.

9 years ago

I dunno, it seems kinda odd to ask, "Hey, Asian guy, are parents strict in your homeland?" haha.

What did the Chinese guy answer?

9 years ago

He told me that strict education is just part of the culture there but it isn't as extreme as people make it out to be. He then said that if American parents were half as strict as a general Chinese parent, the kids would get in less trouble.

9 years ago

Because China isn't corrupt at all >_>

I love it. XD

9 years ago

Well hey, if the little girl next to you got repeatedly run over by a truck, you might wanna make your life worth just in case you're next...