Non-threaded

Forums » The Lounge » Read Thread

A place to sit back, hang out, and make monkey noises about anything you'd like.

Trying InfiniteStory for the First Time!

7 years ago

I'm trying InfiniteStory for the first time and it's a bit confusing. Any pointers? Also, I'm going to post my first page ever!

It is the year 3333. No one had tried to protect him. Watched, but didn't help. Glanced, but ignored. The boy watched as his father smiled grimly and fell to his knees, the boy in shock and unable to move. His eyes grew wide and filled with tears as his father's face tilted backward to face him, still frozen in a expression of acceptance. His father collapsed to the ground, blood spilling and stretching like a red shadow across the floor. The boy, who now stood alone, looked up at the man. The barrel of the gun pointed straight at the child, the man's smile widened. A look of pure insanity covered the man's face like a mask, stretching his features. Fear blossomed like a summer flower inside the boy's stomach as the man began to chuckle, the bullet locking into place. The boy stood frozen in the middle of the war-ravaged street. He looked from side to side. Nothing. Just millions of bags of flesh left over from the last battle. Tears continued to spill down his face as he clutched tightly his father's necklace, a gift given when he was younger. He tore his head away and ran with the man laughing hauntedly behind him, his sandaled feet slapping, hard, against the concrete. The sound of metal clattering onto street and blood spurting, the man behind him died in front of a man's sword. The boy didn't dare look back. The city had been overrun with the Steel Soldiers, which were a band of infamous thieves and criminals. They were notorious for their silver, sharp blades and their white garments.

The boy spat on the ground as he kept running. As if that made them any purer. The golden chain swung from his tightly closed fist as he darted behind what remained of the Empire State Building. The boy scampered inside, finding his father's room and hiding inside it. Finding his mother's closet, he ran into it and slammed the closet door shut, barring the door from the inside with his father's old cane. His sister and younger brother sat, their eyes wide with terror. The boy turned to them and handed them a couple rolls of bread he managed to beg from the passerby and watched as they ate it, their ribs showing through their skin. He'd done everything he could to keep them alive, but without father they couldn't forage nearly as much food as they'd been able to in the past. His twin sister wiped her mouth and looked at him with a worried look in her eyes.

"Nooks, I think, has the flu," she said in a tight voice. "We'll need medicine."

The boy stared at his younger brother, Nooks, as he began to cry with shame. He shook as he opened his mouth. "I-I'm sorry, Grey!" Nooks cried, sniffling. "I know that means less food, and I know it'll make living so much harder, but please, don't leave me here to die! Not after...not after Momma died, too!"

Grey decided then it was time to tell them that their father was dead. He stood frozen again. He was an orphan now. He began to sob quietly but got increasingly louder. "Dad...." Grey choked out, "Dad's.....gone. Dead. I'm sorry. I should've died instead....he protected me..."

Ahleigh, his twin, and Nooks hugged each other tight, tears flowing freely down their faces, nearly screaming with grief and sadness. Grey clapped a hand over their mouths as their arms fell to their sides, Ahleigh sobbing pitifully and Nooks in shock, clutching Grey's strong arm. "Why..? 

7 years ago

@EndMaster

7 years ago

Step 1: Write your story on CYS, where it will actually be read and reviewed, and visible for at least a short time on the main page.

Step 2: Be willing to copy and paste your story over to IS, out of pity, perhaps.

Step 3: Realize the simple bits of scripting you did to keep things streamlined make it impossible to transfer over.

Step 4: Shrug a little and do something else.

7 years ago

“Mizal— “Since coming around and poking our "dead carcass" is pretty much all you do around here, why don't you consider switching gears and helping to revive the energy instead? If what we have on offer isn't good enough for you, then start your own damn site or just stay on the ones that better suit your tastes.”- Ves

“Oh good Mizal will be entering her story on another site. So... You're not entering then. It's not as though that's surprising, but I don't understand the point of coming to this place just to say 'f this place’.”- DEP

“Your posts are more tedious than mine. Why don't you go infest another fourm, Mizal? these forums may be dead, but at least when they were alive they were full of interesting people. But Mizal is seriously a boring piece of shit. More boring than me. “ - Chubby

“I don't have anything meaningful to add except I thought it was funny when Chubby called Mizal a boring piece of shit.” - You Know Who

You're just bitter because nobody over there likes you. Lol.

Anyway, to answer AYT, if you're just writing a straight up simple story with no variables, scripting, inventory or anything of that nature, it's a lot easier to use the editor over there.

If you want to do something more complex, stick with CYS.

7 years ago

Lol, maybe that too.

But it's a serious problem that no one over there reviews new stories. Like, at all. I've been watching since the redesign and I'm the only one commenting on anything, and as we all know, I hate everything.

They've been taken completely off the main page now too which kind of sucks. I mentioned my concern about that to Sev but then he vanished again, his mission of injecting just a tiny bit more unlife into the site complete for the time being.

7 years ago

This has intrigued my interest to check it out.

7 years ago

Are you implying that we actually like her over here?

7 years ago

Can give a link to that thread plz?

7 years ago

It's actually from multiple threads that I pulled those quotes from and there's probably similar posts in older threads.

But Mizal need not stay awake all night crying into her pillow. I'm still alright with her and that's really all that matters.

7 years ago
Eternal Love

7 years ago

*Insert obligatory ISer identification here*

It does seem unfortunately true that no one reviews new stories on the site (myself included), at least so far as I'm aware; certainly nobody is talking about it if they do. FWIW, the glimpses of new stuff I do catch on the main page always look like shit, but I guess you can't find diamonds in the rough without some effort.

Hell, the most that interfics get mentioned at all is when End or DEP updates us on their own secretive projects. I don't know how much anyone else really cares about making something entertaining or interesting to share with other people - IF just seems to be an incidental commonality at this point.

The forums are mostly left for... bitter rants and outbursts of abject misery sent out into the uncaring void. It's definitely not a place for the thin-skinned, easily offended, or anyone who generally doesn't assume caustic sarcasm is the default form of expression. :|

7 years ago

I'm pretty sure you just Necro'd.

Pretty sure.

It's a bit over a week old.

I might be wrong, though.

(If you did: don't do it. If that's not a necro, mmk then.)

7 years ago

Kindly knock that pedantic shit off, please. ^_^

7 years ago

The whole necrothread thing gets blown out of fucking proportion around here sometimes.

The thread was still on the front page and Dreamshell’s post was thoughtful enough that he wasn’t just doing what some of the trolls do and posting stupid shit like “Mghumssap I like cat cookies. Lol.” on a 10 year old thread.

7 years ago

No, we don't want lounge threads necro'd, but unless it's over a month old, I'm not really going to care. It is somewhat circumstantial, though. (Also, calm down, Dreamshell. :P)

7 years ago

I thought that was an acceptable amount of cheek, but okay. See, this is what years of IS will do to you! I'll remember to suffer all buttinskies silently in the future. :P

7 years ago

:P Nice to know. Not asking you to be silent, just saying he didn't mean any harm.

7 years ago

Right dreamshell, next time maybe just made a brand new thread and copy and paste all the comments in this one over to it before typing your own response, it just makes so much more sense that way and would avoid upsetting the natives. We CYSters are a sensitive lot when it comes to the use of unholy magicks. (Seriously, for whatever reason here there's this strong belief that threads start to smell after three days, just like a corpse. Any older than that and someone will immediately show up to accuse you of necroing and possibly start pinging mods...)

Most new stories on IS are shit, it's true, but the same can be said about most new stories here. We just have a steady enough stream of new authors and members that we have the luxury of filtering out the worst of the shit for the occasional bit of gold. Until IS manages to get enough new authors, they have to take what they get, and be grateful for it. Or...ignore what they get and continue rambling on about...I-I don't know honestly, I stopped checking the Chubby threads after a certain point.

I guess...I guess we could start pointing any stray Warrior Cats fans that way? I mean, anything would help, right?

7 years ago

I just took it that way because of what I've seen... ._.

7 years ago

No hard feels, mattstat. ;)

7 years ago

Aw, come on guys! What's with this forgiving mood? You guys should become rivals. I want another fight on this Forum. Where's the anger? Where's the hate? I want another Mizal Vs Breezy.

7 years ago

Well there’s Mizal vs. Ves over here.

http://forums.infinite-story.com/forum/site-suggestions-bug-reports/25103-state-of-the-interactive-fiction-union?p=25133#post25133

(I swear you can’t take Mizal anywhere. Lol.)

7 years ago

Yeeaah I don't think you can pretend to be an innocent bystander when you're so transparently enjoying the whole thing.

I forget about that thread for days and I'm suddenly getting helpfully linked to Ves' post with like, 'oh shit mizal, shots fired! Get in there and respond!'  Hell, wouldn't surprise me if you were over there giving Ves pep talks at the same time. :P

Anyway, the whole thread got derailed so I'm done with it and I'll just leave Ves in victory as protector of the ideals which IS was founded on, apparently. Sev meanwhile, has hopefully learned an important lesson about asking questions on his forum, as opposed to, say, nuking it from orbit.

If I hadn't been in such a rush when responding to dreamshell's post here yesterday, one thing I would've pointed out is that the way stories work on IS do fill a unique role in the CYOA world, and I don't just mean the 'having the same initials as a terrorist organization' one. IS is kind of a throwback to the old style of CYOAs on the internet where the idea was more for a fun shared story/community thing, than the way it is here and on all the other sites I'm aware of now where one author is expected to write and complete the entire thing. 

You can put an incomplete story up there (and that's actually the norm) and leave it open ended for anyone else to add to. Quality obviously can suffer in places, and having it be a coherent story is pretty much unheard of, but theoretically, in a place with an active community, it can be fun just throwing down a link anywhere and taking a path off in a completely different direction, or seeing what someone else does with a prompt you put up. Goofing around with that style of CYOA at a couple of now defunct sites was actually my first experience with them on the internet, so it's a bit of a nostalgia thing for me.

The Hall of Infinite Doors is the most popular example of this on IS, I'm surprised it was taken off the front page.

7 years ago

Of course I’m enjoying the whole thing, but nope, no conspiracy pep talks to Ves and I wasn’t holding a gun to your head to respond to her, though I was surprised you were bothering since you tend to just leave after the first post whenever you and her get into it.

IS may have very well been nuked from orbit though. I tried accessing the site and it just continually spins, so either Sev finally shut the site down or he’s tinkering with it. Then again it’s been nuked before and still risen from the dead.

7 years ago

It wouldn't load for me at first, but then it did a few minutes later so I could grab the HoIDs link. Maybe he is just messing with it right now.

7 years ago
It's currently working.

7 years ago

I think the hall of infinite doors was what allowed me to discover this site. I played it, then wanted to learn how I could make a path on it. So I searched up "Create your own storygame" on google and well... here I am.

7 years ago

... I have only one thing to say.

and one thing only

nothing else

SPREAD THE LOVE, NOT HATE.

That is all.

7 years ago

I don't suppose you were a Roman emperor in another life, Steve? Titus, perhaps...

7 years ago

I'm a bit of all of them. I'll play the fiddle while my city burns, make my horse a senator and kill all my enemies.

7 years ago

That explains the smoke, neighs, and screams of horror coming from your house and nearly drowning out that lovely rendition of "Devil Went Down to Georgia."