Non-threaded

Forums » Feature Wishing Well » Read Thread

Suggestions for improvements and additions to the site.
This feature was rejected 8/12/2012: Well, hopefully featured comments will solve a lot of these problems.

Force comments and IP

17 years ago
Note:
This feature was originally accepted on Jul 13 2007 12:27AM, but was subsequently demoted to "New" in The Feature Wishing Well Clean-out.

The acceptance comments were This is an important suggestion - and will require a little bit more thought. Give it some time, but we'll get to it - promise. march

Lots of people apparently log on to the site, play some game, give it a low rating and don't leave comments. There's nothing more frustrating for a writer than amassing ratings without criticism,  praise, pointers, etc. I think everyone should have to leave a comment, or they can't rate the game. This could lead to people typing "asdf" into the comment box, but it would certainly be better than now.

Also, if a person isn't logged in as an active user, they should only be able to play each story once from the IP they're at. Otherwise, they could amass multiple anonymous ratings. Sometimes I think that is happening here.

Force comments and IP

17 years ago
I think I would rather have no comments on my games, then worthless ones like "adsf" filling up space. As for the IP thing, I don't know about that, I guess it would be good.

Force comments and IP

17 years ago

remember the mods can delete stupid remarks on games. just tell one of the mods and they will delete it for you.

nate

Force comments and IP

17 years ago
I'm in for this. In order to rate, you must leave a comment.

Force comments and IP

17 years ago

This must be implemented !!!! :)

Force comments and IP

17 years ago
Forcing comments, for one - it's a good point, I think it would take a long time to implement, knowing a little bit on how that works. If I could implement this feature it would be a score below 4 you must leave a comment. The Ip adress is a no go. I myself like to go and look at the different paths one could have taken in the game after I have already commented on the game.

The fix for this will not be seen any time soon, regretfully.

When are company has a lot more money, I could see this site improving by leaps and bounds, because then we can pay other programmers to work on it.

This site is actually a money waster for Alex, but it's a good site and I hope it exists for a log time to come and I appreciate everybody effort into making it what it is. - sorry for the sudden kiss up rant - but you guys are awesome.

Force comments and IP

17 years ago
lol, i think alex needs to bring back that "one" google ad, except this time put more. I honestly would go out of my way to click it every day!

Force comments and IP

17 years ago

btw, choco, is it Inedo, or HiddenNetwork, that you guys are working on?or a completely new/different business?

Force comments and IP

17 years ago
You know what you need to do to halogenstudios.com (or .net).  You need to make a page which directs you to all your other sites, and make it a little more descriptive.  It would help out those confused.

Force comments and IP

17 years ago
there used to be a homepage , but i think its gone...

Force comments and IP

17 years ago

Right now were working under the title Inedo , and thats what Hidden Network falls under, and the dailywtf.com. I'm hoping to have a comic coming out called mandatory fun day on that particular site- which will eventualy be called something else because wtf gets filtered by employers filter systems. Halogen Studios might become out think tank aka group that plans on taking over the world, or atleast open up a gaming store.

I'll leave it at that because I've frayed from the topic, but I am glad you asked because I always enjoy taliking about myself.

I will talk to alex tomorrow about the force comments suggestion though

Force comments and IP

17 years ago

That's great to hear!!!!!!!!! :D

halogen studios taking over the world, eh? :P

Force comments and IP

17 years ago
Can I join?  I can help make sure that the evil bar doesn't overflow...

Force comments and IP

17 years ago
No no, you can play as a user as many times as you want. I'm saying "guests" from the same IP.

Force comments and IP

17 years ago

Forcing to leave ratings sounds great! If you write an awesome game and everyone loves it, but someone just doesn't like you so they rate it a 1 and don't leave a comment, that just ain't right! I bet it's happened though... Biast is an adjective that I hope would not describe anyone on this site.

Force comments and IP

17 years ago

the only problem here POP, is this:

you make a game. Person X hates you for some reason or another, so they play your game and rate it a one. then they must leave a comment so they either leave a vulger insult, or total nonsense like "oeufegrkr3iu". which they know both of which would be deleted. therefore, you still end up with a bad rating, and no comment to compare it to. a paradox i must say.

nate

Force comments and IP

17 years ago

oh, i think i got it!! if a comment gets deleted for some reason or another, so should the rating! what do you guys and gals think of that idea? although, im not sure ratings can disappear that easily... hmmm. well, atleast we are getting closer to a solution.

nate

Force comments and IP

17 years ago
Oh my gosh that's great ,Fleshy! If someone hates you and leaves a useless and inapproprite comment, the comment and their rating get deleted! Great idea Fleshy!

Force comments and IP

17 years ago
That's a good idea, and I think a perfect add-on to what I already said. We still need an IP based thing, which choco apparently didn't understand what I meant. Only guests can only play one time without becoming active users, at which point anyone can play from any IP as much as they want. This promotes people joining as well curbing nonsense. Some fool just left me a 5 with no comments again.

Force comments and IP

17 years ago
Hrm, well if anyone disputed that anonymous should not be able to keep rating (IP track/force 1 only/as I suggested) look at Ifrit's new game and notice there are NINE 8's. Also notice that two of the actual user raters are named "Rate_Account1" and "Rate_Account2." This sort of blatant disregard for everything is why I suggested this in the first place.

Force comments and IP

17 years ago
We all know your right madglee :P

Force comments and IP

17 years ago
Please do this. This is getting annoying for everyone. More and more ratings but no comments? God knows where they're coming from. This is the most important thing to do for the site if the ratings are to mean anything.

Force comments and IP

17 years ago
oh yeah, definately! I have had several people rate my game a 1 and not leave a comment...

Force comments and IP

17 years ago
Its not as intolerable in that case Rommel but to think games like Mommy are taking flak like that...

Force comments and IP

17 years ago
hey, does WWII GS or D.I.S deserve a "1"? Just because there are no other games like it, and it is gameplay based, you cant rate a game "1" on that basis. The only reason you would would be if it was boring and repetititve (Merchantilism).

Force comments and IP

16 years ago
Well cool, March'll get to it. That will be phat. No more mysterious 1's like I just noticed with "Snow," which only some insane person would rate a 1.

Force comments and IP

16 years ago
hey, does the Tower II deserve a "1"? Just because there are no other games like it, and it is gameplay based, you cant rate a game "1" on that basis.

Force comments and IP

16 years ago
Valid point. Valid point. Valid point.

And I have admit, Legend of Merchantilism sucked horribly. What'd it get, a 2? If it got higher than, say, a 3, I'm suing a pecan.

Force comments and IP

16 years ago
Honestly Rommel, your a hypocrite.

Force comments and IP

16 years ago
Actually, I don't think that people rate it a 1 just because there's nothing like it. That just doesn't make any sense on any level. Innovation is always loved.

Force comments and IP

16 years ago
Thats what he said..

Force comments and IP

16 years ago
I'm just clarifying...

Force comments and IP

16 years ago
No I agree, Tower II could never be a one. Either could Lightspace, or whichever of tsm's games got a one for some reason.

Force comments and IP

16 years ago
You mean Ullyses? Yeah.
But everything with a lot of lovers has a lot of haters.

Force comments and IP

16 years ago

It seems to me that some people just like to rate things 1 because they think it's funny to be mean, or because they think the story is overrated.  I know a few people like that-- they really think it's a 4-5, but because so many people are calling it a 7-8, they give it a 1 just to make a point.

Force comments and IP

16 years ago
Yeah. Make a point. That you're an idiot! lol

Force comments and IP

16 years ago

This needs to happen.

Also btw, rating it a 1 wont do anything if its a 7 or an 8 :)

Force comments and IP

16 years ago
"Also, if a person isn't logged in as an active user, they should only be able to play each story once from the IP they're at."

I don't think thats a good idea. Maybe rate it only once, but not just play it once.

Force comments and IP

16 years ago
Thats one way of looking at it: It would encourage more memberships.

Force comments and IP

16 years ago
Thats true, but then we would have even MORE people signing up, creating one (gennerally) cruddy game, and then leaving. We need some more, quality games here. Even if it means there will be less of them comeing out.

Force comments and IP

16 years ago

Let me tell you right now Silver.. There is no way to get the amazing writers without getting loads of crappy ones.

Force comments and IP

15 years ago
I think you might have misunderstood the statement, Silver. Your reply was incorrect.

Force comments and IP

15 years ago
Still really annoying. Any progress?

Force comments and IP

15 years ago

I wish...

Force comments and IP

15 years ago

i havent read much of this thread so i odnt know if it was already addressed but what baout someone who leaves
"good game" or "yay i win!"

is that for the mods to delete then?

Force comments and IP

15 years ago

actually alex should just put in a character minimum, nevermind

Force comments and IP

15 years ago

Read the thread. Nate addresses that.

Force comments and IP

15 years ago
the only problem with the IP thing is that almost all ISP's give out dynamic ip addresses and if you want a static one its usually $5 extra on your internet bill, the ip changes every 24 hours so the person would be blocked from re-rating for only 24 hours, i still think that logging the ip is a good thing because i dont think someone is gonna wait 24 hours to add 2 ratings, it will definitely stop the spammers, but i just want to put that out there, that it would STILL be possible for stupid rating to happen.

Force comments and IP

15 years ago

Yeah, mines static.

Ohkay, so how do internet signs ban you based on IP?

Force comments and IP

15 years ago
There must be somewhere you can get an IP tracker or something for your site.

Force comments and IP

15 years ago
Yes, but IP'S change...

Force comments and IP

15 years ago
What is an internet sign?

Force comments and IP

15 years ago

And there is a way for a site to request to the ISP to ban your internet address. But im sure it has to be on severe terms, and usually if its for spam and stuff, your ISP itself issues an email to you to stop what you are doing or you will face legal action.

For the record it is illegal in Canada to upload illegal content, but feel free to download. If you upload your games or somethgn to some host site, ive actually with my own eyes seen the letter that Bell (im with bell and my friend who did this is with Bell) sends you saying if you do it once more you will be charged.

Force comments and IP

15 years ago
Alright... I haven't read any of this thread, but uh... I see that you're all still trying to figure this thing out. 

Say, I don't suppose we can make people log on to rate the games?  That way, it doesn't matter what computer you're at, you need to have an account to rate(but you can still play).  Here's what I'm thinking:

-Must first comment to rate.

-Can't rate same storygame more then once.

-Set minimum amount of characters for comment.

-Any stupid comment can be deleted along with the rating the user gave it.  (ex: Say there's a minimum of 25 characters per comment, mods can delete comments that say something like, "This game ROCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!" -- after approval from the story writer, and vise-versa).  If a mod sees an obviously stupid comment, and the user refuses to let them delete it, then there's obviously something strange going on there.

Now, it's not the perfect plan, but that way, people will have to make multiple accounts and make non-stupid comments to rate.

Force comments and IP

15 years ago
Exactly! There should be a combination of automation and story writer confirmation just so nothing bad happens.

Force comments and IP

15 years ago
Not only that, but mods too.  After all, you gotta add the human factor in there, just in case someone finds an easy way out of the Auto-delete thing.  That way, there are two people deciding on what is a valid comment along with rating.

Force comments and IP

15 years ago
So... Has this actually been accepted yet?... or has it just been cast into the "accept" section and left to die?

Force comments and IP

15 years ago

It was accepted 1 1/2 years ago, and I'm still holding out hope for it.

Force comments and IP

15 years ago

Don't hold your breath, bro. Look what happened to tsmpaul!

Force comments and IP

15 years ago

Mmm.

Force comments and IP

13 years ago
I really only think they should have to leave a comment if the given rating is LOWER than the current rating. If you want to rate something an 8, no comment required.

Force comments and IP

13 years ago

God! this is a freaking great idea! is there a way for an admin to remove a mass of low anonymouse ratings?

Force comments and IP

13 years ago
Not as is.

Force comments and IP

13 years ago

should that be added to the wishing well or is it allready there?

Force comments and IP

13 years ago

Even if there are jokesters, it just isn't being honest here. Really old thread btw.

Force comments and IP

13 years ago

still relevent

Force comments and IP

13 years ago
definitely still relevant. This is the FWW, it's things to be added to the site so there's no expiry date (no other forum can be replied to after sixty days except B&P).

Force comments and IP

13 years ago
Don't think admins should be able to delete ratings btw. There's never a good time for that.

Force comments and IP

12 years ago

Damn, 5 years have passed. I was in my early thirties when I suggested this. :(

Force comments and IP

12 years ago
Just wondering, what would stop someone nefarious from leaving a positive comment attached to a low rating? We should display what the user rated it, alongside their comment.

Force comments and IP

12 years ago

Wow I'm suprised that this feature has not been implemented have all that time. It really is a great idea though, and so is posting the rating with the comment

Force comments and IP

12 years ago

We could just make it so you have to play through the story twice with an account to leave a comment.

Force comments and IP

12 years ago
Why would making people run through it twice do anything?

Force comments and IP

12 years ago

I think the current system works well enough.

Force comments and IP

11 years ago

We need this more than ever now... please... please!

Force comments and IP

11 years ago

Just re-iterating my support for this idea now that the FWW has been cleared out. If you leave a 1 or 2 rating (or even just a rating below the site average) you should be forced to leave a comment in order for that rating to count.

Force comments and IP

11 years ago

qwl;fnwe;l knawe; lfknaew ;flkaen f;alken f;aeklnfae; fkla;e fklane

There, I just left a forced comment. I started a new thread with a modified idea -- Display Ratings with Comments

Force comments and IP

11 years ago

The only problem with fixing forced comments with the suggestion in that new thread is that you'll have all the people who rated the storygame appropriately leaving comments and having their ratings displayed and no comments (with ratings displayed) being left by the people who rated a good storygame a 1 for no (known) reason.

Once your "show rating with comment" idea is implemented, we could implement madglee's idea too and have it so that when you delete a useless comment (like your forced comment above) it deletes the rating along with it.

Force comments and IP

11 years ago

I like October's idea. I think that it's a great solution to the low ratings that are given to stories for no apparent reason.

Force comments and IP

11 years ago

Definitely. It forces someone who rates a storygame a 1 or 2 to tell the author why the story was bad. If the story was deserving of that rating, there will be valuable constructive criticism for the author to work on. If there wasn't a reason for the bad rating (which would be the case for most trolls), then the comment will show that, and upon deletion the rating will disappear too.

Force comments and IP

11 years ago

But the problem with that plan is if the author might not agree with your reason for rating it low. So they erase to keep there rating high and/or ignore the person's complaint.

Force comments and IP

11 years ago

Authors currently can't delete comments on their own storygames. If ratings were to be attached to comments then authors definitely shouldn't be given the ability to delete comments from their own storygames.

Force comments and IP

11 years ago

I don't really like this idea. While it's true most games get many undeserved 1s and 2s, storygames usually get the average rating they deserve in the end anyways. Forcing a comment wouldn't fix that at all.

I think storing the IPs privately and removing those that are obviously just spamming low ratings from the average rating discretely would be a good idea though.

Force comments and IP

11 years ago

You should be forced to comment ONLY IF YOUR RATING IS LOWER THAN THE GAME'S CURRENT RATING OR THE GAME HAS FEWER THAN 10 RATINGS!

No need to comment on a storygame that you really liked. But if you're going to be negative, you should help the author by giving them criticism. In addition, we should link ratings to comments. Those two things would reduce trolling.