Non-threaded

Forums » Newbie Central » Read Thread

Introduce yourself and get to know the community.

3 years ago

Good day to you all , well, I've read the introductory message and it says in there that I should introduce myself and I also saw the three-sentence rule so I'll do my best. I am a bored person who likes reading and so far as I have seen this site is awesome when it comes to it. I have always liked reading fantastic stories and some of the works here has role-playing too. I am still new to this so if I have done something wrong kindly inform me to reform my ways. Looking forward to diving into more worlds in stories here.

3 years ago
Welcome. The final chapter of Ulysses seems to violate the 3 sentence rule, and that chapter is quite good. What kind of role-playing have you done? Any plans for making storygames? (Three sentences and a fragment, that means I am good, right?)

3 years ago
Those rules were for pre-teens you'll note. You can recognize them by their 'who wants to chat with me?' threads and the way they necro six year old conversations to say 'lol' or 'wut'.

AestheticLlama is the only one who's managed to integrate herself here, on account of her incredible wholesomeness, and even then she had a couple of previous accounts. (And half the site is convinced she's actually an FBI agent anyway...)

3 years ago
Llama is nice, she has potential. (Perhaps she will be Special Agent Llama one day)

I am actually quite happy that the internet happened after I was out of school. So whatever stupid things I wrote in my youth were recorded in much more ephemeral media and are long gone. "Done and done, dead as dust", a character from the storygame that I am writing right now, would say.

3 years ago
Likewise I'm extremely happy that most of my early interactions with others online was just in playing MUDs, and that the Lion King fan forum I first posted on is long gone. (Not that I was using the same name anyway.)

The venerable nature of CYS however means that over the years it has captured multiple cringy phases throughout the lives of its longer term members.

3 years ago

Well done on being born after that magic technology line that separates those who can and those who cannot imagine a world without the internet.  What flavor of professor are you?

3 years ago
Don't you mean born before?

Haha, but simple mistake to make I guess, seeing as you are very old.

3 years ago

It depends which direction you are facing.  I was upside down when I wrote that and also looking in a mirror.  So I wouldn't be *quite* so swift to judge.

3 years ago
Somehow I don't seem to fit into disciplines well. At the moment I am (technically still) professor of computer science at UC Davis, but I have taught maths and physics in the past and now have a position for biodiversity theory in Europe. ("Full professor", to quote from your very helpful tutorial.)

3 years ago
Welcome to the site!

If you're a fan of fantasy, the site's got a lot of great stuff there. For epics, Endmaster's stuff is a great place to start, or you might look at Camelon's Book of Vanishing Tales (in the Everything Else section) if you something that's a slower burn.

The featured stories on the main storygames page is generally the best place to start, and if you find something you particularly like, the author probably has more like it in their profile.

Just be sure to rate everything you read and if you can, please leave at least a short comment. People put a lot of work into these stories and they need that feedback to know that somebody out there is reading them. (At the same time, don't shy away from giving detailed criticism if you want to...honesty encouraged here and our authors have thicker skins than in most other places.)

And I don't think you have anything to worry about, lol. It's just these young kids that keep wandering in and posting/necroing/making new threads all over the place with nothing to contribute that tend to meet quick unfortunate ends.

3 years ago
Hey Hey~

3 years ago
Welcome to the site! I do hope you enjoy your time here.