Non-threaded

Forums » News & Updates » Read Thread

Keep up with the latest contests and find out what's been changing with the site.

CYS Server Move

12 years ago

All, I'm moving ChooseYourStory.com to a different server in a few minutes (around 1/17/2012 00:00) -- sorry for short notice.But, it's a better server, so hopefully worth it :-)

There will be minimal downtime (I have to xfer the database between boxes, which will take about 10 minutes) Please email me at "apapadimoulis - at - inedo - dot - com" if there are any noticable problems... I may have missed a server config issue.

CYS Server Move

12 years ago

Aaaand the server has ben moved. Note that may take a little while for http://chooseyourstory.com/ to correctly point to the right server. For now, there's a redirect that uses the IP address instead.

CYS Server Move

12 years ago

Not sure if this is just because of the url not pointing to the right server yet, but I had to login again (when I am usually logged in automatically). This isn't any inconvenience to me, but I thought I should mention it here in the unlikely case that it indicates an error with the switching of servers.

CYS Server Move

12 years ago

I'm guessing it was just a temporary problem - now that the url reads chooseyourstory.com again I had to log in again but since then everything's been working fine.

Also worth mentioning is that the server didn't go down at 6pm for eight minutes (or 2am CYS time) like it usually does - very good!

CYS Server Move

12 years ago

Great --- and it loaded up just fine when I got to the office.

The old server had... some issues... that required a nightly reboot. No such thing on this server. Let's hope.

CYS Server Move

12 years ago
Good to know, but it is nice to meet the mysterious creator of the site.

CYS Server Move

12 years ago

I'll be back...... some day!

CYS Server Move

12 years ago

The login link off the home page goes to http://74.50.110.118//Includes/footer.asp - I have to go to the forums first, then click that logon link to actually login.

BZ

CYS Server Move

12 years ago
Thanks so much, Alex!

CYS Server Move

12 years ago

I had to log in again, but other than that no forseeable problems. It's great to see the creator post by the way

CYS Server Move

12 years ago

When I come back to the site, I have to go to the forums then to 'My Stuff' before I'm able to log on.

CYS Server Move

12 years ago
I was wondering why I had to log in again. This is sweet. I was just saying today that I wish you would log on from time to time.

CYS Server Move

12 years ago
at 23:06 server time this I was kicked off the site.

Server Error in '/' Application.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A network-related or instance-specific error occurred while establishing a connection to SQL Server. The server was not found or was not accessible. Verify that the instance name is correct and that SQL Server is configured to allow remote connections. (provider: Named Pipes Provider, error: 40 - Could not open a connection to SQL Server)
Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code.

Exception Details: System.Data.SqlClient.SqlException: A network-related or instance-specific error occurred while establishing a connection to SQL Server. The server was not found or was not accessible. Verify that the instance name is correct and that SQL Server is configured to allow remote connections. (provider: Named Pipes Provider, error: 40 - Could not open a connection to SQL Server)

Source Error:

Line 104: try
Line 105: {
Line 106: cmd.Connection.Open();
Line 107: cmd.ExecuteNonQuery();
Line 108: }

Source File: c:\Websites\ChooseYourStory\ChooseYourStory.com\Global.asax Line: 106

Stack Trace:

[SqlException (0x80131904): A network-related or instance-specific error occurred while establishing a connection to SQL Server. The server was not found or was not accessible. Verify that the instance name is correct and that SQL Server is configured to allow remote connections. (provider: Named Pipes Provider, error: 40 - Could not open a connection to SQL Server)]
System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionPool.GetConnection(DbConnection owningObject) +578
System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionFactory.GetConnection(DbConnection owningConnection) +88
System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionClosed.OpenConnection(DbConnection outerConnection, DbConnectionFactory connectionFactory) +6275911
System.Data.SqlClient.SqlConnection.Open() +258
ASP.global_asax.Application_PostAcquireRequestState(Object sender, EventArgs e) in c:\Websites\ChooseYourStory\ChooseYourStory.com\Global.asax:106
System.Web.SyncEventExecutionStep.System.Web.HttpApplication.IExecutionStep.Execute() +80
System.Web.HttpApplication.ExecuteStep(IExecutionStep step, Boolean& completedSynchronously) +171

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Version Information: Microsoft .NET Framework Version:2.0.50727.5448; ASP.NET Version:2.0.50727.5456

I was also forced to log in again. (not a big deal)

CYS Server Move

12 years ago

I got this as well. I didn't have to log in again though, I just waited and eventually I was logged back in automatically.

CYS Server Move

12 years ago

Thanks for the updates... I did the "big move" of The Daily WTF tonite, so that's why there was somedowntime.

Hopefully the log-in issues will be fixed soon, I think that had to do with the temporary redirects to the IP address.

Just make sure your browser says "chooseyourstory.com" instead of 74.50.110.118.

CYS Server Move

12 years ago
My browser gives me short cuts to the sites I spend the most time on. The short cut to this site no longer works.

CYS Server Move

12 years ago

Mine works fine. It's:

http://chooseyourstory.com/forums/default.aspx

No issues at all with it.

CYS Server Move

12 years ago
Mine doesn't.

http://www.myadventuregame.com/forums/default.aspx

Server Error in '/' Application.

The remote server returned an error: (503) Server Unavailable.
Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code.

Exception Details: System.Net.WebException: The remote server returned an error: (503) Server Unavailable.

Source Error:

Line 51: {
Line 52: //synch with ASP pages
Line 53: AspSessionBridge.SynchAspSession();
Line 54:
Line 55: Application.Lock();

Source File: c:\Websites\ChooseYourStory\ChooseYourStory.com\Global.asax Line: 53

Stack Trace:

[WebException: The remote server returned an error: (503) Server Unavailable.]
System.Net.HttpWebRequest.GetResponse() +1126
ChooseYourStory.Legacy.AspSessionBridge.SynchAspSession() in c:\Websites\BuildMaster\_TEMP\_A4\_S11\SRC\ChooseYourStory\Legacy\AspSessionBridge.cs:132
ASP.global_asax.Application_PostAcquireRequestState(Object sender, EventArgs e) in c:\Websites\ChooseYourStory\ChooseYourStory.com\Global.asax:53
System.Web.SyncEventExecutionStep.System.Web.HttpApplication.IExecutionStep.Execute() +80
System.Web.HttpApplication.ExecuteStep(IExecutionStep step, Boolean& completedSynchronously) +171

Version Information: Microsoft .NET Framework Version:2.0.50727.5448; ASP.NET Version:2.0.50727.5456

CYS Server Move

12 years ago

oooh. good find. fixed!@

CYS Server Move

12 years ago
Wow that was fast, it does work. Thanks.

CYS Server Move

12 years ago

I can still access CYS fine by using a bookmark to My Stuff (which is how I usually open CYS), but when I type "www.chooseyourstory.com" into the URL box, I'm still getting the "Temporarily Closed For Maintenance" screen.

CYS Server Move

12 years ago

Ah, I think it's something to do with cookies (or something, I don't know how cookies and cache-cleaning works), as when I open the "www.chooseyourstory.com" url in Chrome, it works fine, whereas if I open it in Firefox (the browser I usually use) it goes to the maintenance page.

(Also, I'm using Mac OS X 10.6.8, though I doubt that makes a difference.)

CYS Server Move

12 years ago
Try clearing your recent history and then typing in chooseyourstory.com

CYS Server Move

12 years ago
I got the same error as above and haven't even logged in today, or for a while. Basically my favourite link wouldn't work and I had to use the other link (that directs to the same site) so one link works and one doesn't.

This one:
http://www.myadventuregame.com/stories/default.aspx

doesn't work. At least not for me anyway.

CYS Server Move

12 years ago

replace myadventuregame with chooseyourstory