Non-threaded

Forums » Reading Corner » Read Thread

Dust off a seat and discuss a good book here...you do read, right?

Wheel of Time

9 years ago

Has anyone ever read it? Working through the thirteenth book right now with a total of 1218 pages dedicated to telling that portion of the story. I personally love the series, though it gets a bit slow paced in the sixth book, but it picks up again in the eleventh.

Wheel of Time

9 years ago

"it gets a bit slow paced in the sixth book, but it picks up again in the eleventh"

Wheel of Time

9 years ago

First few books are akin to Tolkien and seem epic. Quite dense series with millions of names, places, intrigues. I agree with Beta, the series slows down and I basically plodded through it. Didn't love the ending, particularly, but didn't hate it either.

Jordan died, unfortunately, and some Brandon Sanderson person wrote the last three with Jordan's notes, outlines, and his widow's blessing. 

I tried reading the Mistborn trilogy by Brandon Sanderson and couldn't even get through the first book. Was pretty bad. He wrote a lot better in "Jordan's" last three books, though, and although his characters sound a tiny bit off, he did a pretty good job ensuring we didn't all go insane after waiting 20 years for the series to be finished.

Wheel of Time

9 years ago

It was 2007 he died I believe, and Brandon ended up finishing the last three books if I remember correctly. 

Wheel of Time

9 years ago

Really? I really enjoyed the Mistborn trilogy. Surprised you didn't.

Wheel of Time

9 years ago

I tried. I really tried, but the premise doesn't interest me. I don't like the idea of burning different metals for powers. Just couldn't get past it. I suppose I could force my way through the first book again, Aman. Maybe I didn't give it enough of a chance.

Wheel of Time

9 years ago

If you want to read the book that convinced me to give Sanderson another chance (though I haven't actually gotten around to reading more of his stuff), try The Emperor's Soul. Short and beautifully done, IMHO.

Wheel of Time

9 years ago

You definitely should. Though I found the premise really interesting (It's a new type of magic, so it seemed really cool), so I dunno, maybe it's just not your cup of tea.

Wheel of Time

9 years ago

Not my cup, terrible, pathetic shit. I'll check out snow owl's recommendation.

Wheel of Time

9 years ago

Have you read all fourteen books?

Wheel of Time

9 years ago

You are correct. Brandon wrote the last three, which was originally going to be the last one. Yes, I have read all the books, and they are staring at me on my bookshelf.

Wheel of Time

9 years ago

Wait...1218 pages for 13 books?  93 page average?

Dafuq...that's short.  Even if the typesetting was marked down to size 8.  o.o

Wheel of Time

9 years ago

That's for the last three books, I think.

Wheel of Time

9 years ago

The 13th book (Towers of Midnight: hardcover) on the shelf at my job has 861 pages.

Wheel of Time

9 years ago

Okay, no idea where Taco got that pagecount, then. Also: Damn, that's a big book. XD

Wheel of Time

9 years ago

Each book is akin to the bible.

Wheel of Time

9 years ago

1218 pages for that one book.

Wheel of Time

9 years ago

You just reminded me to finish reading that. It's slow, so it's relaxing. And pretty damn big.

Wheel of Time

9 years ago

I agree, it's relaxing. Nice writing nuggets scattered throughout. Jordan definitely was on to something. Surprised his editors let him babble on so long, but they sold!

Wheel of Time

9 years ago

Dayum, there is a fuckton of books in this series!