Non-threaded

Forums » The Lounge » Read Thread

A place to sit back, hang out, and make monkey noises about anything you'd like.

Ogre's Boobs

5 years ago
Yeah I noticed it was the more user-participation things that got the most interest. Actually I want to try to encourage some reasonably intelligent discussions in the Lounge without the "you're a cunt, lol" stuff to try and make the Forum a bit more active because I think that is what primarily attracts people to the site, then when there are more people more stories will be written, read and reviewed.

I think you have a point about the large volume of words putting most people off, if I want a ton of reviews I should write a 20 page story called something like Boobs!!! rather than spending months on a 100+ page thing that'll get about three reviews and a dozen ratings in a year :) If I made sure there were spelling and grammar mistakes on every page with a few racial stereotypes the reviews would be legion :D I think the quality of the forums is reflected in the quality of the stories, if there are a lot of creative people active in the forums a lot of great stories will be written :) I'm trying to be a bit more active and encouraging, the site goes through cycles though and the quiet patches are always followed by active patches :D It just takes time.

Ogre's Boobs

4 years ago
So, uh, @Will11 ... 30 ratings in 2 days... :)

Ogre's Boobs

4 years ago
Haha :D V effective point proving :D The secret to mainstream success in the world of literature has been confirmed. Fifty Shades of Grey was 90% too long, they just needed to publish the naughty bits :D

Ogre's Boobs

4 years ago
That's just hurtful and proves you don't read, it's actually an Edutainment story with a wealth of facts about the lives of bees. Possibly the most extensive collection of bee facts on the entire site! (it does not however cover what happens if the bees start carrying a zombie virus, and I consider that a major enough oversight I'll probably be dropping my rating to only a 7/8)

Ogre's Boobs

4 years ago
How could I forget the zombie bees!?!

Ogre's Boobs

4 years ago

They'll sting you right in the coochie. sad

Ogre's Boobs

4 years ago
Not a good comparison, but I did publish 2 stories a day apart. Boobs!!! is up to 34 ratings, while the other story has 1.

It's not a great comparison because the other story is, in my opinion, pretty hard to get to an ending, though. I should have put up something else at the same time that was long, but still easy.

Ogre's Boobs

4 years ago
Dang it! When this thread was split, it broke the link from the game. I don't want to take the game down now with all those great ratings.

Ogre's Boobs

4 years ago
Your boobs have been repaired.

Ogre's Boobs

4 years ago
Oh very nice! Thank you very much.

Ogre's Boobs

4 years ago
I guess this proves how important knowing your audience is when writing? Here, the CYS plebeians don't care about grammatically correct, educational storygames. Instead, they like Boobs and retardery.

Ogre's Boobs

4 years ago
...actually got this combination while randomly refreshing the deck and then didn't save the screenshot like an idiot.

Ogre's Boobs

4 years ago
An update for Will11: Boobs!!! -- active for 6 days, 40 ratings Will's Lost Expedition 2 -- active for 837 days, 45 ratings My Alien Abduction -- active for 1,166 days, 75 ratings

Ogre's Boobs

4 years ago

Moral of the story... Everybody loves boobs ^_^

Ogre's Boobs

4 years ago
Boobs! I mean... um... Yeah, I think you're right.

Ogre's Boobs

4 years ago
One more update for Will11: Will's Lost Expedition 2 -- active for 856 days, still 45 ratings (0.05 ratings/day) My Alien Abduction -- active for 1,185 days, 76 ratings (0.06 ratings/day) ... Boobs!!! -- active for 25 days: #181 overall, #2 for 2019 based on 96 ratings since 05/04/2019 played 771 times (finished 106) That's 3.84 ratings per day. Clearly, the boobs have it.

Ogre's Boobs

4 years ago
Well, the secret to popular success in literature has finally been revealed :D I particularly like the fact Boobs!!! has the number 2 ranking for 2019. Thanks for making this little experiment confirming the power of Boobs!!! and I look forward to the sequel... I'll try not to let this dampen my faith in the discerning tastes of the average reader :)

Ogre's Boobs

4 years ago
Hope you had fun with it like I did -- and learned to include Boobs!!! in every single one of your stories going forward! :)

Ogre's Boobs

4 years ago
:D

Ogre's Boobs

3 years ago
I think I win, @Will11 , and not in a good way. First, the updates of the stories that were in the list:

Will's Lost Expedition 2 -- active for 1,197 days, 54 ratings (0.05 ratings/day)
My Alien Abduction -- active for 1,526 days, 87 ratings (0.06 ratings/day)
Boobs! – active for 366 days, 149 ratings (0.41 ratings/day)

But wait, check out this one:

Escape from School – active for 366 days, 7 ratings (0.02 ratings/day). That’s an entire year and not to 10 ratings yet!

Ogre's Boobs

3 years ago
You can't really compare those when you deliberately sabotaged the school one's chances. Which aside from the main problem--that of needing a billion clicks to do nothing much interesting--is unplayable in dark mode btw. Anyhow, keep this up and I shall force you to hide your unsightly boobs out of public view somewhere.

Ogre's Boobs

3 years ago
Unplayable in dark mode? Maybe you just need to squint a little more.

But hey, I fixed it so that you can actually get out without having to find the end: the security guy shows up and you get an end game link if you only click HALF a billion times without finding the ending! :)

Ogre's Boobs

3 years ago
Really, you deserve props for boiling the art of branching fiction down to its essentials here. Just the reader, and the links, nothing artificial standing between them. It's really quite moving and like all your work makes one think a lot about *farts*.

Ogre's Boobs

3 years ago
Very cool. I think I could actually fix that... no, wait, if the dark mode is in the extension, I don't think I can detect that from the page... though I suppose I could put a link on the first page... oh wait, this would be cool: I could put two links on the title page and figure out the colors so that if you're in dark mode, I can change the colors of the text and you would only see that link; but if you're NOT in dark mode, you can see the OTHER link that leaves the colors as they are... that sounds like a lot of work, though...

Ogre's Boobs

3 years ago
Or you could use the default black text to just....ask what color they want.

Ogre's Boobs

4 years ago
111 now. The rating is highly inflated, which is fitting for Ogre's boobs.

Ogre's Boobs

4 years ago
Are you staring at my Boobs?

Ogre's Boobs

4 years ago

So... I just realized something depressing. So proud that Innocence Lost is the #1 game for 2019... Until I checked the list.

Boobs!!!
a Edutainment by Ogre11

#197 overall, #2 for 2019

... Yep. Already half way through 2019 and the second best game of the year is called "Boobs!!!" crying

Ogre's Boobs

4 years ago

"Innocence Lost" and "Boobs" are the only two 2019 stories that have been ranked.

The next closest new story has only has 22 ratings, and my own story is stuck at 20.

Ogre's Boobs

4 years ago

Oh! ... That's okay then. cheeky

Ogre's Boobs

4 years ago

I think "Boobs" was successful in proving its point in how stories get ranked (or not) on this site. My hat's off to it.

For those of us who worked our tails off to try and produce something of quality... that no one reads once it's published... it's a frustrating experience.

Ogre's Boobs

4 years ago

I really do need to read more. >.<

Ogre's Boobs

4 years ago
Or you can keep looking at my Boobs!!!

Ogre's Boobs

4 years ago

They are rather impressive. ^_^

Ogre's Boobs

4 years ago
Not sure how much it really holds up as an experiment though, Ogre being a long term site member with a lot of forum presence who made a thread about it with a lot of people in on the joke and who would get the reference was obviously a factor. If some random noob had written that it would've been unpublished in a couple days.

The morally correct thing of course would be for Ogre to take this illbegotten monstrosity behind a barn and shoot it now that he has proven his point.

Ogre's Boobs

4 years ago

As I pointed out before, though, besides "Boobs!" the only other 2019 story to get any kind of attention is Avery's "Innocence Lost," with 262 ratings to date. When you scroll down to the comments, it appears that it gets reviewed every couple days by people whose user names I don't recognize from the forums, as well as from people who don't even have accounts. This tells me that people with no strong connections to the CYS site are finding it and reading it almost daily. (I read "Innocence Lost" myself, enjoyed it, and left a review that was later featured.)

However, the next most-rated game for 2019 (after "Boobs!) is "Knight Order of the Golden Sun," with a score of 6.52 but only 22 player ratings. The last review was Ogre's from 5/2, and all of the reviews seem to be from regular forum-goers. I haven't read this story, but it looks like this might have been a well-received contest winner... that no one reads or talks about anymore.

I don't want to begrudge any story its success--and as I said before, I did read and enjoy Avery's work--but one major difference that I can see between "Innocence Lost" and "Knight Order" is that one is featured on the site's homepage, and the other can be found only by perusing through lists of hundreds and hundreds of noob stories.

Basically, what I'm saying is that the way the site is designed directs new readers to stories that are already successful, while other stories that might also be pretty darn good are probably only read by regular site participants. The difference in the readership rate between a story that is featured versus one that is non-featured seems pretty large, from what I can see.

So perhaps the follow-up experiment to "Boobs!" is not to have Ogre take it out behind the barn, but to actually feature it and see what happens...

Ogre's Boobs

4 years ago

While it is sad that other stories have not had much readership yet, Price of Freedom was a long awaited upgrade of an older story with an already present fanbase, and it had been long-anticipated both here and on CoG (there's a lot of drama with that that you may have noticed digging around the forums.)
So even without the featuring, it would have blown all other 2019 stories out of the water unless, say, EndMaster publishes another this year.
It would be nice if more people dug around to find good, unfeatured stories though.

Also, "Knight Order" placed third in that contest.

Ogre's Boobs

4 years ago

Yes, I am aware of the history of Avery's story. And like I said, I'm not begrudging its success.

So who won that contest? I was basing my assumption on the reader ratings.

Ogre's Boobs

4 years ago
I did. Ninjapitka's story "The King's Command" got second place.
It had judges, and my rating's steadily gone up since the first few weeks.

Ogre's Boobs

4 years ago

Funny, I think I did know that at some point in the past. So when I was making my comments above about the top stories of 2019, I was basing it off this list. It's odd that "Sir Osis" isn't here, but "Escape from Prison" is.

Ogre's Boobs

4 years ago
That's weird. That one's at least unpublished and I thought it had been deleted.
This is one of those weird things about the site that we can all collectively blame 3J the Vanisher for.
Now I just feel slighted. D:

Ogre's Boobs

4 years ago
Escape From Prison is unpublished now. It hadn't had enough players yet to get a rating until I left one this morning.

I have no idea why it was on that list. I don't understand the formula behind most of the rating/ranking stuff and I have a hunch it's all pretty broken. Just one more reason not to pay attention to it.

When Bill puts up part two, I'll feature Giri Minor.

Ogre's Boobs

4 years ago

Thanks, and I certainly appreciate your support.

But what I was getting at is something a bit more structural in nature. Again, I fully recognize I've only been active here for less than two months, so take all this for what it's worth. Maybe there has already been a lot of thought and discussion about what I'm about to suggest.

However, I've seen lots of mention of a slowly-growing number of bugs that can't/won't be fixed: the RTE, the rating system, the tan background that makes me nostalgic for one of those beige desktop computers from the nineties. As I understand the history of the site, there were several programmers who got together and wrote all the coding quite a while ago, and CYS has been slowly accumulating content ever since. And for whatever reason, some of the flaws/bugs/limitations aren't a priority to fix.

It would surprise me, though, if on a website full of people knowledgeable in HTML that there isn't some fresh blood out there who wouldn't be happy to have a crack at updating the site.

Or failing that, staging a GoFundMe campaign to raise enough cash to hire a site developer to help modernize the site.

Because with a few tweaks, what is currently CYS could be redesigned and given a more dynamic interface. Authors could have their own pages where all their stories are easy to find, and therefore have a tool to help build an audience. A few more genres/categories might be added to help sort out the stories. You'd still want to highlight the best of the best, so a featured game is still a featured game, but there might be some other mechanism to help promote other stories that perhaps haven't found their audience yet.

As for new story creation, it's possible that the site's standards are set too low; currently, if a story can't rate higher than 2 it gets unpublished, and stories rated less than a 3 automatically get filtered from view. That still leaves a lot of 3s and 4s to wade through; in my experience with reading stories on this site, the good stuff starts at 5 and above.

So on my hypothetical updated CYS, any member could create and publish a story, same as today. But for the first 30 days, only regular members would see it and have a chance to rate it. If at the end of 30 days the story is just a 1 or 2, it automatically gets unpublished. The 3s and 4s go into a "developmental" workflow where the author has a chance to respond to the criticisms/suggestions and try again. Only the 5s and above would get promoted to the public-facing website, meaning that the CYS community would be putting its best face forward, and the reading public would have more quality storygames to browse through.

All of this assumes, of course, that the current library of stories could be transferred to the new site without any bugs.

So that's where I was going with this.

But now I see I need to stop spending so much time on the forum and working harder at completing Orion #2... 

Ogre's Boobs

4 years ago

A lot of the site is broken, yes. I do like the tan background and think the site has a better overall layout than a lot of the other CYOA-types have.
We do already have author pages in which all stories by an author can be seen, as well as tjeir activity. So I'm not sure what you mean by that. A member index maybe?
You can also set the filter to only give you the highest ratings or include lower ones too.

Usually stories that rate beneath standards are deleted far faster than witjin a month, on account of members flooding over to get the free point and laugh.
Having consequences for getting a 3 or 4 would likely lead to rating inflation as peeps who once rated average stories a 4 now give them a 5 or 6. Additionally, non-member ratings already have far less weight tham member ratings, and the more points a member has, the higher the weight of his rating. I do think there can be a bit of a copy-cat effect even with the waiting for ten ratings to recieve a number. Sir Osis had much higher ratings after a heavy-hitting member caused the average to jump up over half a point.

By regular member, what do you mean? Would membership alone qualify someone? There are active and reasonably well-known peeps here with under a hundred points, and limiting their access to storygames would hurt contest stories.

As for the site coding, talk to Killa and Mizal...I think a lot of stuff is out of their hands. I can tell you now that results of a GoFundMe would be sad too unless someone with actual, real money made a big donation. There just aren't enough active members that pay attention, have faith left in GoFundMes, are adults, and aren't poor.

Ogre's Boobs

4 years ago
An idea that IS both good and doable and that leaves everyone happy is giving EndMaster his own category. Not only does that allow all his stories the recognition they deserve, but it opens up featured slots in several categories, most notably fantasy.

Ogre's Boobs

4 years ago
We have the extension that gives the whole site a facelift, and it'd be nice to eventually incorporate the features there into the base site, but it's a slow process. @Killa_Robot already made a major bug fix and is planning some kind of final solution to RTE problem, but it's a matter of waiting for the owner to push it through.

'Modernizing' otherwise just isn't going to happen aside from a site member unaffiliated with the owner creating a new entirely new site and editor from scratch and hosting the server. It was a difficult process even getting Killa set up to do anything to begin with. As far as I understand it, modern computers just don't know what the hell is going on with a website this old.

Authors already have their own pages where all their stories go, that is what profiles are.

I don't see a benefit to complicating the process of writing and reading. The quality games aren't difficult to find, you have to deliberately scroll down quite a ways to find the meh ones when searching by rating, and the really terrible ones are removed in under a week. New games are obviously a crapshoot but, emphasis on the 'obvious' part. Readers know they're rolling the dice if the rating hasn't shown up yet.

Anyhow, the changes suggested to restrict who can read what seem counterproductive when the thing being complained about is a lack of ratings.

Ogre's Boobs

4 years ago

That "slow process" that you mentioned was what I was afraid of. But if "modern computers just don't know what the hell is going on with a website this old," then that gap is only going to increase as time goes on, so at some point I imagine this site will be forced to modernize or become obsolete.

Yes, everyone has a profile page, but what I'm thinking of is something a bit more customizable, like a personalized web page where an author can try and build interest in his/her work. Whereas a profile page is basically a big honkin' version of someone's avatar, with their experience points / commendations to the side, and a detailed listing of both published/unpublished stories as well as every single forum post, the author page would allow the person to highlight the published stories they want people to know about, create a news feed so readers can see what they're working on, and allow readers to sign up for alerts or whatever--in other words, a built-in social media page.

As you said, the majority of site users are readers who peruse the stories but express no interest in the forums. The idea is to make something that keeps those people engaged with the site longer. There doesn't seem to be much evidence that Joe Q Public is using that filtering method you described to get to the better stories.

Again, these are just my thoughts.

Ogre's Boobs

4 years ago
Well, Joe Q public is traditionally understood to be pretty fuckin lazy and dumb. Can't do much about that. Filtering stories takes exactly one click.

Ogre's Boobs

4 years ago
At that point you need to either link to a Twitter page or whatever or make a regularly updated forum thread. If someone can't be bothered to check those, they aren't going to be bothered to check your profile page, and having all that in one seems incredibly unnecessary. Peeps show their list of WIP all the time in their profile too, and I'm pretty sure nobody pays attention to those either.
This site IS a hobby site.

Ogre's Boobs

4 years ago
Indeed, I might suggest the site is already quite obsolete. But hey, it still works, right? Honestly, for the first couple of years I was on here I was hesitant to put much effort into a story because I figured the site would just disappear one day because it was so old and relatively unsupported. Yet here it still is, strangely enough. I've reached the point where I don't think it will vanish overnight, but I'm not really holding out much hope for repairs. The best solution at this point would be to completely modernize the site and import everything into something new. The biggest barrier to that is the current scripting language that exists in the stories. So while it would be pretty simple to re-create the site with a new site and layout and even import all the old stories and such -- nothing would work without the integrated script language that's inside this site. And that's not as easy to just import into something new. So for the time being, I'd go ahead and suggest you continue with suggestions -- put them in the thread for that. And hope the site doesn't go down any time soon (in some ways it's actually quite stable compared to other places). Remember that this site was actually created 18 years ago by some college kids playing around with a database. Maybe one day that college kid, who is now working at various companies to actually make money, will decide to come back and really pump up the site. Until that day we just try and enjoy what we've got here.

Ogre's Boobs

4 years ago
The biggest issue is they control they actual site. I can make all the changes we want, but unless they push the code it doesnt matter.

Ogre's Boobs

4 years ago

To all who responded: I'm not saying I don't enjoy the site or enjoy the (free) service that it offers.

I'm just saying that I have a day job where basically I assess within a couple minutes where something went wrong, and then take the appropriate steps to fix it.

So rather than accept something as it is and assume that something that has been essentially been the same for two decades will remain unchanged until the universe implodes at the end of time, I see the potential in how something that many people currently value can be improved in a way that will attract even more people into the community.

But the situation as Killa described it is what I suspected was true all along. So feel free to carry about your normal business. Nothing to see here folks, move along.

Ogre's Boobs

4 years ago
I have watched those yearly lists a lot. They seem to be fine for stories that have the 100 ratings. However, the stories that appear after those seem to be sort of random. Sometimes it feels like there's some order to them, but not often...

Ogre's Boobs

4 years ago
I think Bill has a point about the effect of featuring. I have stories featured that are part of a series and the one that gets featured isn't (I don't think but I might be wrong) a huge amount better than the other stories in the series but that one gets all the attention and the other stories get a fraction of the ratings. I think the read-all-the-stories-get-points-commendations-and-trophy thing could be pushed a little more, maybe a challenge made out of it? As some members spend more or all of their time on the forums of this story site rather than reading or writing the stories I definitely think forum advertising is the way to go, or personal messaging people asking them to read your story, or elsewhere internet advertising like a facebook group or whatever... does this site have outside links?

Having said that I'm pretty busy these days and have got lazy about reading new stories (still writing though), apathy is a killer :D

Ogre's Boobs

4 years ago
I'd like to see more reviews too, but ultimately there's no way to force them and only a fraction of the site's users care about points/have any idea the forum exists/even have accounts at all.

And while I absolutely understand the desire for more readers, I kind of feel like the people complaining about it haven't tried posting fiction on any other writing sites. I have in the past paid money to use a website where it was considered outrageous entitlement to expect to receive even four comments not half as detailed as those that are routinely posted here. (unless I was willing to spend hours a day doing slam bam thank you ma'am style reviews for currency from other authors, or else fork over more money to advertise each individual story...)

Meanwhile on the normal sites used by the masses, you just get ignored unless you stoop as low as Wibn, writing fanfiction and getting made demands of by morbidly obese weebs.

Ogre's Boobs

4 years ago

To be fair, your whole contest for the month is based around trying to get people to read more reviews... Which I should really get back to cheeky

Ogre's Boobs

4 years ago

...and it look like this week we have one runaway contestant! She has 21 points so far, and it's only Tuesday.

Ogre's Boobs

4 years ago
Going for that 1k rating weight power!

Ogre's Boobs

4 years ago
I really expected more people to get involved with that tbh. Everyone likes worthless e-peen points, right? Rating stories is already the easiest way to get it, and I'm making it doubly easy four times in a row. I'm not sure what else I can do a far as 'pushing for these things and making it a challenge'.

Only people who are involved in the forums or Discord are going to notice a contest on the forum of course, but those are the only people who care about points or their reputation on the site to begin with.

I fo think some level of active community involvement is definitely key to getting people beyond those just browsing the site at random to check out your stuff. CYS has a very short social memory. I've had people who joined in the last year have to ask who Steve is. LOL.

Ogre's Boobs

4 years ago
Yeah, the obese weebs demand things, but I normally then do whatever would piss then off the most.

Also, I have seen some interesting things with my tingsy and stories. About Darious and the Desert God was published about a year ago and is featured. Don't Hurt Me Again was published about six months ago and didn't get featured. They have roughly equivalent ratings, but DHMA has one more rating than Darius.

While my name and relatively dandy relations with most of the active site helped with getting people to click on those stories, I do think the fact that DHMA is a horror while Darius is Everything Else contributed to that.

On a side note, a fanfic I started four months ago has 9k views, 50 reviews, and 112 favorites (and 161 follows). It's just the larger base of people on that site. CYS is smaller so I wouldn't expect as high a turnout for my storygames.

Ogre's Boobs

4 years ago
I think my rating decreased over time. Should have included more boobs. Maybe a butt too. Oh well, I'll save it for the next one.

Ogre's Boobs

4 years ago
Blue-skinned alien babes are key.

Ogre's Boobs

4 years ago
I got some peeps to read mine by messaging them privately and demanding they do so because I'm a filthy whore like that.
You could also hand out in Noob Central and recommend your story to everyone there in the hopes that someone bites.

Ogre's Boobs

4 years ago
Hooray for Boobs!!!

Ogre's Boobs

4 years ago
Who could've guessed we'd all have so much to say about Ogre's Boobs?

Ogre's Boobs

4 years ago
They were some captivating Boobs!!!

Ogre's Boobs

4 years ago

Well when he's got a pic of himself with those fat green things hanging out for all the internet to see, of course he's going to draw attention.

Ogre's Boobs

4 years ago

Now that you mention it... Could he profile be considered pornographic? frown

Ogre's Boobs

4 years ago

I doubt anyone is choking the chicken/splittin the kitten to Ogre's ugly green boobs.

Inb4 someone says "Challenge accepted."

Ogre's Boobs

4 years ago
Considering Briar has shown herself to have interesting tastes on several ocassions, I wouldn't be too surprised if she had his boobs printed off and across from her bed.

Ogre's Boobs

4 years ago
My Boobs!!! are indeed quite popular

Ogre's Boobs

4 years ago
You all want good stories to have more recognition?
Here's a thread I made for sharing and finding good, under-recognized stories.

Ogre's Boobs

4 years ago
I expect that my Boobs!!! will make an appearance in that thread soon...

Ogre's Boobs

3 years ago
FWIW, whatever ratings info may show, we do know there are a lot of games being clicked on, every day. It's just that the only indicator of how much is being read that the site can track is whether an End Game link is clicked or not, and we already know the vast majority of people browsing don't bother to do that even if they do go through one or more paths.

Ogre's Boobs

3 years ago
That player anon list is substantially larger than I imagined it would be!