Non-threaded

Forums » The Lounge » Read Thread

A place to sit back, hang out, and make monkey noises about anything you'd like.

CYS is where you want to be.

3 years ago
Commended by mizal on 6/26/2020 12:52:28 PM

For a long time, CYS was the only writing website that I wrote on or looked at. In my recent absence (which was do to life and family stuff, not any problems with the website), I decided to check out some websites where I could write a linear story. I found one that I liked, in terms of the actual writing site, but I wanted to share a few funny stories from there.

Now, I will not name the site. This is because I am afraid someone will go find the crappy stories that I started to write there. Also, I might continue writing my linear stories there. The platform isn't bad, but the standards are.

There is no content moderation, so a lot of stories are published without things like punctuation. By the way, they all have 5/5 star ratings because authors can modify/delete comments and ratings they don't like. Reading on that site is a sure-fire way to get a headache. Thank god CYS has the Minimum Site Standards for Storygames and reviews that authors can't self-moderate.

The authors are pretentious for how bad of writers they are too. I posted a comment on the forum about making an update so that authors couldn't delete bad reviews. Their backlash at me was fierce. One author's point was hard to argue with since they informed me that they get hundreds of comments a day that read, this story sucks!  When asked what I suggest they do about those, she didn't want to hear that my answer was to not write a story that sucked so much... 

Grammar doesn't exist over there. No one uses it. One story didn't have paragraphs or punctuation! Every sentence just had a line break... I made a post about using commas and a few rules about commas (like Gower's comma test), and they all commented on it like I had invented a new system for organizing prose. One of them asked me to make a post about how to structure a story. Another asked how dialogue punctuation was supposed to work. Granted, I didn't know that before I started writing here... but they had no resources to learn.

My favorite example was a crazy long story, like 200,000 words, that was impossible to read. The poor guy probably spent forever writing it, and nothing he wrote made sense. There was a part where the main character had to "be careful of the floor because dangerous." Later, he explained in the comments/chat that the character was on a "restricted floor" of a library, so if he has been caught it would have been dangerous. However, the story read as if the floor itself was attacking him. 

Also, like three people knew how to write completing characters. They all broke the narrative to tell the reader every character's thoughts. Characters never reacted or had mannerisms. They were all plot devices. Basically, they were all me when I first started. I never realized how bad I was... 

Thank you CYS for teaching me to write gooder.

3 years ago
Yep, it is pretty dire out there. There was a brief period where I was very interested in the art of crafting short stories, and getting frustrated at how anything posted in Creative Corner would just sit there ignored. So I went out browsing some other sites. But it turns out the rest of the writing world is a hellish pus-oozing wasteland. Even going back to the site I started out in in high school (which at that time was a srs business place where you paid money to get savagely shredded in exhausting detail) was a massive disappointment. It had turned into a place where you paid money to have people scroll to the bottom and say 'Good job!' in order to skim off member cents to promote their own pieces, where criticism was unheard of and people wrote the blandest drivel. Basically it had become a vanity publishing pay 2 win thing for Facebook boomers. And even that was still better than places like Wattpad and fanfiction.net which are just some ninth circle shit...

3 years ago

It's rough. I would rather come back here and (actually) do the things I said that I would. I'll try to give some love to the creative corner stories! That is, after I read Ninja's stories, proofread the story I am working on for LJacko, and enter something for the Sci-fi prompt. 

Sigh.

It's good to be back. 

3 years ago
Why do you think that after being utterly banished and having my corpse obliterated into a million pieces I keep crawling back?

This site is the best writing site I've ever found, and I doubt I can find something better. It is small enough to feel exclusive, and big enough so that there is always something to look at. Plus a community that is great, and actually gives harsh feedback.

3 years ago

Haha, this is funny. Also, very true. I'm glad your zombie form is still writing.

3 years ago

COVID has probably nullified this, but there are such things as in-person creative writing groups, depending on where one lives. You might find them on Meetup or some such website.

I belonged to one when I was in high school. The format was that everyone was permitted to bring something they had written to the meeting, which was held once a month, and read it out loud to the group. When you were done you got immediate feedback. Everyone was an amateur writer as I recall, and some of them were quite good.

3 years ago

but my internet

3 years ago

That actually sounds really cool! Maybe a group exists by me after they stop the COVID panics. My state remains one of the most locked down.

3 years ago

If such a group does exist near you, the odds of finding one will certainly increase if you live in or near a city.

Up here, we're post lock-down for the moment, mostly... although it's hard to believe we'll stay that way for long.

3 years ago

Actually, I'm living in my CYS bunker until further notice! Who knew that thread would become so appropriate, haha.

3 years ago
Haha, purposely being in a room with other people. And people say you don't have a sense of humor.

3 years ago
I'll name the site for you: webnovel.com

Do I get a prize? :^)

3 years ago
Maybe that's some other Shadowdrake27.

3 years ago

You win an indifferent shrug!

I'd offer up a million points, but this is roughly equivalent.

3 years ago
Don't tempt me to transfer a million points from you to him...

3 years ago

Welp!

Wait, don't you usually call them "pointless points"?

Either way, I'll keep the million points that I don't have. I have no need to go into debt here.

3 years ago
With the way my hands are shaking right now I wouldn't dare touch the admin tools anyway lmao. Might accidentally commend him 23 times on top of it.

3 years ago

Or take me to -23 million points... haha. Seems like I lucked out!

3 years ago

A single golden frijole for Ford. Keep track of it! Because I won't.

3 years ago

This person seeks out writing apps and forms serious opinions on their level of value to serious writers such as himself.

3 years ago

I love that it asks if the review was helpful, and you obviously clicked "no"!