Non-threaded

Forums » The Parlor Room » Read Thread

Questions about a storygame? Thoughts on Eternal? Any other IF you're playing out there?

The Contest Entries : Non-judge's Reviews!

9 years ago

Title explains it all.  What were your guys' takes on the entries entered thus far?  Your opinions on your fellow contestants' entries?  In retrspect, what do you guys think could've been improved?  What do you expect to see for these storygames in the future?

@Kiel_Farren @Tanstaafl @Negative 

9 years ago

@FeanorOnForge @Delta44 @Malkalack @betaband @insanebutvain @Slasher @playa988 @SpartacustheGreat @Chris11302orwhatevernumber @Morgan_R

9 years ago

I think they're all pretty decent, though I might be biased because of the fact that it's a breathe of fresh air, considering we've had such shitty stories about Warrior Cats or just whatever the fuck shitty writers.

9 years ago

@nmelssx @Claw2k11 @madbrad2000 @jamescoker1226 @FazzTheMan @Killa_Robot

9 years ago

I haven't read shit. I should probably do so now considering I've got so much free time. 

9 years ago

I'll comment on my opponent's entries on their actual games, but I would like to reply to the comments made so far on here, if that's okay:

Firstly, thanks to everyone who reads through TOW and gives it a fair shake. I appreciate you taking the time to review it. Second, it is somewhat mortifying that people are already finding errors, but... well ... most of you seem to understand that the circumstance didn't give me much time for clean up and yes, I really do appreciate you telling me about any bugs you find because it helps me fix the game in the future. 

Third, the response has been pretty kind so far and it's encouraging, so thank you for that as well. And fourth, yes. >_>' I am actually painfully aware that the battle system has flaws, the greatest of which is arguably repetition. This game, while a contest entry, is also a huge experiment for me in the way of scripting. An extreme majority of it has been trial and error, and me getting way, way too ambitious with what I wanted to do.

Lastly, I hope you'll consider coming back when I fix and re-publish this story, I really want you guys to see the finished game.

9 years ago

I'm actually not going to read TOW until you finish; I think it's going to be so fucking sweet when it's done that I'll want to appreciate it in its proper state. 

9 years ago

Can someone post all the contest entry links here?

9 years ago

FeanorOnForge's entry: Apocalypse Yesterday

Tanstaafl's entry: Undead Persona

Negative's entry: Clear Sky

Kiel_Farren's entry: The Other World

9 years ago

Thanks.

9 years ago

I want to play your game, but I need to find time away from FFX and writing a story of my own.

9 years ago

Thanks to all who rate and comment! I suppose out of courtesy I should comment on the other 3 games (which I plan to do, just tired as hell XD).

9 years ago

You should do that, and then spam them with 0/10s from fake accounts.

9 years ago
I haven't read Negative's or Tan's works yet. I have started reading Kiel's story, and I hope to finish it soon, so I can leave a comment. I am having a problem with the part where you have to fight two vile-kin in a row, after you unlock the private gate and escape from the city. I can beat the first with no problem; the second one kills me every time, though.

9 years ago

If you're having trouble with the game's combat in general, (I suspect I made it too hard, but no one who beta-read it complained at that time, so I couldn't be sure) then I'm going to assume you lack both the healing items and the weapon upgrade. You might want to re-start and see if there's something you missed. :P A little law-breaking mixed with a little kindness and some curiousity is good for you.

9 years ago
Damn. Why do you have to make all your games so hard? *Sigh* At least I'm not having to wander through a house full of bizarre booby traps and oddly crowbar resistant doors.

9 years ago

This... oh dear God this. I still haven't finished the Haunted House one.

9 years ago

*snicker* I made two freaking walk-throughs. xD TWO!

9 years ago

That's the weak man's way out. Real men pretend that they don't have enough time.

9 years ago

xD Because I'm something of a sadist? I dunno, man. It's fun. This game doesn't have GOLADs puzzles by a long-shot, but I had to make some kind of nod to the original, and as a result, you get a side-quest that will give you a weapon str boost. If you need more help than vague hints, I'll tell you.

Edit: Actually, now that I think about it, I seem to recall that Taco complained I was making it too easy considering the peril that Jace/Kyra should be in as your average "naive farm girl/boy" who has no battle experience.

9 years ago
Nooooooo! I did like you said. I was fighting a mugger, I beat him, and I got an error. The game won't let me continue.

9 years ago

Error? What error?

9 years ago
It was one of those white and yellow "postprocessed" something or other errors.

9 years ago

Ah, gawdammit. I thought I fixed that. Son of a... I'll play through to see, but I think I know exactly what happened. You were supposed to get some extra food and water off of him, but I didn't realize that the site freaks the fuck out if you put the "item get" scripting in the link script instead of the page script until later. When I did find out, I thought I fixed every link, but ... maybe not.

*sigh* Apologies, but you may have to backspace to avoid meeting him. The one in the wastelands, on the other hand, totally works. >_>'

9 years ago

I kinda have to restart the game now. XD

No biggie, though.

9 years ago

You can backspace, though... ?

Also, throwing your sickle does not glitch the fight. Whether or not you succeed is by chance, but you can still get the food and water. >_> That's probably why I thought it was fixed.

9 years ago
Actually, I can't go back any time an error screen pops up.

9 years ago

Really? o.0 I can. Huh. Sorry, man.

9 years ago
No problem; I'll get through it, one way or another.

9 years ago

I was skipped from this post :( no love from Swift

I will read the other entries through during this week to give me time to do it properly and leave real feedback. I just had to take the weekend off from writing and reading lol

9 years ago

*pat* In the immortal words of Zuko: "That's rough, buddy."

Good to know.

9 years ago

I only read Clear Sky and gave it a 5. I have yet to even click on The Other World, Apocalypse Yesterday and Undead Persona.

9 years ago

@Kiel_Farren Haven't been able to finish TOW yet.

Latest death: house fire.

It was frustrating that right from the start, I was trying to leave my freaking house, but the game wouldn't give me the option.

9 years ago
Are you still stuck on it? I had a problem with running out of time, trying to search the whole house for stuff.

9 years ago

Considering that I posted it two minutes ago. . . haha, yeah. 

I wasn't even searching the house for stuff!  I just wanted to leave!

9 years ago

Your family left in a hurry. Was there anything valuable to them, that they might have left behind?

Spoiler:

Remember the journal in your family's cupboard. You need it in your inventory to progress. During the fire, it can be found in the kitchen of your house.

9 years ago

I was sure I had that item. I took it at the first opportunity.  But there were never any links to possibly leave the house.

9 years ago

Spoiler:

The item disappears from your inventory, though, when you go to visit your grieving friend. When you are in the burning house, choose to go to the kitchen. After you look in the cupboard and retrieve the journal, choose to "go somewhere else". The link at the bottom of the page will let you go outside.

9 years ago
I did the same thing. I wanted to search the whole house to see what was all there, but even more so, I wanted to see if the fire could kill me if I fiddled around. I was not disappointed, haha.

9 years ago

xD I hinted on the pages, if you squint, at the fact that your character is refusing to leave without their most precious item. But uh, I wouldn't recommend ONLY getting the journal....

9 years ago

Was it really that hard to see why Undead Persona is post-apocalyptic? XD. Thought I made it clear in the game haha. Apparently not?

9 years ago
Dunno, but in your defence, Madglee was very loose with how post-apocalyptic it had to feel, so it shouldn't matter.

9 years ago

For a supposedly desolate world, it felt very alive.  Well, that's the only way I could see it as such, but to each his own.

9 years ago

When I was playing these games, I had a "nuclear wasteland"-type thinking as to what qualified as "post-apocalyptic", but in retrospect, I should probably adopt Swift's.

9 years ago

Bizarre. Whole I realize I kept the reasons for the desert-setting vague, but I was certain that the optional reads elaborated on them enough. Guess that's another thing I need to add into the Zealot path-- making it more obvious on the post-apocalyptic end haha.

9 years ago

Wow... really? In my opinion optional reading didn't add much to the history... as in, built upon the p-a atmosphere. Like protaganist getting the humans to volunteer themselves as ghouls. Or training with Kelso.

It seems like something did happen to the UP universe, but what that is remains unclear (unless I'm being a total idiot and forgetting a crucial part of the story where it explained that. If so, apologies).

9 years ago

Did a quick read-through. Apparently the place that really elaborates on it is when you are captured by Tomas (after forcing the receiver into Kelso's hand).  Not an optional read though, and you only really get to it if you go a specific route (that gets you to the unofficial ending) so no fault on your part. 

Another place that discusses it is, 'Kelso's Tale'-- which was in the main storyline (though optional) and he says quite a bit about it. Right before you enter the Wolf Underground the choice appears. Maybe you missed it?

Glad that it's actually there somewhere though haha.

9 years ago

My...what?  o.o