Player Comments on Dusty Fist 2: Electric Boogaloo

Ending 7 felt like justice.

The Dusty Fist series is still the pinnacle of all the 'lol so random' games I have ever encountered, and the only ones I've actually enjoyed. Some of the humor did fall flat for me or felt a little forced, but with the way it just kept charging ahead joke after joke I would always soon enough encounter one that worked.

Ending 9 btw was a tragic missed opportunity to turn HOLY FUCK A SANDWHALE! into the running gag I'd thought it would be...

Since it was established in game that alternate universes exist and that the wall between them is thin out in the wasteland, I won't question too hard how at one point the tank is full of some weeny Power Rangers knock offs, and then the next time it was the typical raiders dressed in rubber and leather...in a metal tank...in the desert...

You know come to think of it, let's call that missed opportunity #2: I'd have laughed if you'd busted your way in there only to find them all dying of dehydration and heat stroke. Although come to think of it, I don't believe poor Dusty Fist himself ever managed to get that drink of water in any of these...

I laughed out loud at the Shane quote as the story came to the predictable ending that all Westerns do: that of flinging a massive tank away with a giant rubber band.

Ending 6 was fun, it was the one that most specifically gave me the kind of improbable kung fu action promised by the sweet title page. I always love Chris' stylist title pages and need to at some point steal their secrets and use them on my own stories.

Anyhow, all in all another entertaining effort from Chris. Such is the power of a man with a wiener of a perfectly average size!

-- mizal on 8/27/2019 3:15:46 PM with a score of 0
I would recommend this story to anyone who enjoyed the first “Dusty Fist.” If you faggot who reads reviews before stories have not read it, you should, but you don’t have to in order to enjoy this one. There are a few call-backs to it, but nothing depends on having read the first one before.
However, if you don’t like absurd humor, this story might not be for you.

The bright cover art is very exciting and perfect to add HYPE to the story.
Although I had read the first page a few times before I wrote this review, it still made me laugh. It sets the tone for the rest of the story very well.
The link to the elevator music was a very nice touch. In a more serious story it would have been unnecessary and a little weird, but here it works perfectly and was kind of funny.
I also liked the results of the running choice in this one. At first it seemed that it’d be the same as the first Dusty Fist, and that made it funnier when it wasn’t.

The branching style was cave of time, and despite each individual path being very short, there are a fair number of them. So be sure to make use of the back button.
Some of the endings had more detail than others, but all were pretty good. My favorites were the rubber band one, the stone six one, and the wiener one.

Dusty Fist is pretty much what a lot of noob stories try to be, except instead of being unfunny lol random stories, it is actually well-written and funny. I can’t say I enjoyed this more than I did the original, but it’s still pretty awesome in its own right.

Here’s to another hilarious entry in the story of Dusty Fist.
-- Cricket on 8/23/2019 4:47:39 PM with a score of 0
That was a really fun story. Kind of like Mad Max mixed with some Fist of the North Star. I never played God Hand before but this really makes me want to try it.

So the writing was silly, as pretty much anyone who read the original Dusty Fist might guess. Basically we're a goofy hardcore martial artist who makes bad guys explode with his fists and clearly doesn't skip leg day. A lot of the dialogue is funny and some of the plot points are written in a joking way. But this was less "lol random" and more "the world has gone to hell and now leather clad raiders ride scrap tanks around while insulting you. Enjoy". The spelling and grammar were all very good as well.

SPOILERS

Basically the whole story is about us trying to stop a giant scrap tank from destroying a town. And thats really it. You can go about it in many different ways (infiltration, giant rubber band, simply running away so fast you change dimensions/time skip). But overall it wasn't very plot heavy. However it did manage to fit the theme of "Lone Hero" rather well. In most endings at least. Heck, in one ending we even save the town and walk off into the sunset (after thoroughly confusing a young boy with our speech).

Overall I felt this was a fun story. You didn't have to think to hard about it, it wasn't overly long, and there was sufficient variation and meaningful choices. Good work Chris.
-- TurnipBandit on 8/19/2019 9:49:04 PM with a score of 0
Dusty Fist 2 is a great story, and better than the first one. That sure is good, because the bar the first Dusty Fist set was pretty decent, and I’m surprised that even with an extended length, it didn’t lose that intal charm of the first game. Everything I loved about the first game translates nicely over here.

For one thing, it is amazing for just picking up real quick, reading all the paths, and putting down. There is no major time investment to be had. All you have to do set aside ten minutes, if that, and read it. No multi hour story to sign up for. Just a nice comedic story to fill a lunch break.

One thing I like about this story, and good stories of a similar length, is that they are often grounded. They know exactly what they want to talk about and once that has been accomplished the story is over. Sure this one is a bit random, though it hyper focuses on a sand whale heading for a village. Once that is no longer the focus, the story is done. One event that you get to see in massive detail without making the game massive. That is what the best short, “toilet stories” accomplish.

In short, this story is great, and better than the first. I hereby dub these kind of amazing, under 5k, stories, “toilet stories.” The comedy is it’s main drawing point, though I still recommend you read it even if you don’t enjoy comedy stories, as it is so short there is nothing to be lost by doing so. I think this story is solid, though I don’t think there is any way I can give it a higher rating then the first one, on account of it is not quite good enough to deserve a 6.

5 out of 8
-- MicroPen on 10/9/2019 7:38:57 PM with a score of 0
A definite step up from the original Dusty Fist imo! In terms of pathing, there are more avenues to explore. Better yet, I was excited to witness all the shenanigans of our hero. I found this second installment to possess a much more whole-hearted approach in its absurdist humour. There wasn't an overbearing, running gag this time. I was pleasantly surprised to find imaginatively unique punchlines to each scenario.

Notably, by playing with the more campy tropes of the Westerns, this also fit the 'Lone Hero' theme seamlessly. While the tone remains appropriately light-hearted and irreverent - this storygame never becomes cynically mean-spirited in its homage to its inspirations. This one sparks joy.

Thank you Chris for Dusty Fist 2!
-- Ozoni on 9/28/2019 8:35:42 AM with a score of 0
This story did indeed get a few laughs out of me. It was kinda short, but it had enough quality to even it out a little. 7/8
-- Tim36D on 8/23/2019 12:31:06 PM with a score of 0
Awww yea dog rubba' bands save the day again.

Anyways, loved this new addition Chris. It made me laugh several times and is the perfect example of a Lone Hero story.

But fuck, I'll have to keep reading the other branches to find out if the guy ever gets some water.
-- corgi213 on 8/22/2019 11:12:10 PM with a score of 0
Not every joke landed, but there were so many of them it barely matters, and for every joke I groaned at, there was one that I cringed at. Oh, and also sometimes one I laughed at.

The writing is often hilarious, but I was most impressed by all of the branching. The structure is mostly of the quick death-restart, but not always, and there were several multi-choice deep pathways to explore.

As silly as can be, and knows it.
-- Gower on 8/20/2019 7:20:38 PM with a score of 0
What, no tea and scones this time?

So once again, just like the first Dusty Fist, this is a very fun little storygame with great use of branching. Each ending is unique, it fits the "lone hero" theme to a T, and there is even a well-placed reference to "Shane," one of the best "lone hero westerns" of all time. My favorite ending was by far the Six Stones.

Both this and the first story rely heavily on the art of the anticlimax: after a somewhat obvious set-up to a scene, the opposite happens. This begins right at the title, because [SPOILER!] there is no electric boogaloo anywhere to be seen... unless there is a hidden ending I failed to uncover.

And yes, I did laugh out loud (or lol to you youngun's) several times while reading this.

In closing, I feel obliged to share the following links, in case there are any readers out there who feel they didn't get their money's worth of boogaloo. Before you spam Chris with your words of h8, check these out instead, m8!

Enjoy!
-- Bill_Ingersoll on 8/20/2019 4:45:38 PM with a score of 0
If you've read that last one, this one is more of the same. There's nothing electric or Boogaloo related. The Boogaloo was a lie!

Gramatically and spelling wise it's doing well.

If you want to read this, prepare yourself for a wacky adventure.
-- DerPrussen on 8/18/2019 1:53:15 PM with a score of 0