Non-threaded

Forums » Bugs & Problems » Read Thread

Post reports about problems or bugs in here.
This bug was closed 1/9/2017: There's another open B&P post that this will be addressed in.

Boy oh boy, an article-writing glitch

8 years ago

See, I'm trying to write an article- "Don't Be a Jerkface: How to Comment Well-" and the website just won't let me. Whenever I try to publish or just save my article incompletely, I get this:

ADODB.Recordset error '800a0cc1'

Item cannot be found in the collection corresponding to the requested name or ordinal.

C:\WEBSITES\CHOOSEYOURSTORY\CHOOSEYOURSTORY.COM\HELP\ARTICLES\../../Includes/Components/Article.vbs, line 94

Anybody know what's going on here?

8 years ago

Ah, I remember this!

What's going on, is that the site's derping, and you should try again some other day.

Or there could be an actual reason that I'm unaware of.

I ran in to this as well when I wrote my article, but the next day it was just fine.

Or did it delete all my text?..

I love the title of your article

8 years ago

Thanks

8 years ago

It has been doing that same thing to me with my article "Asking for Help".

I managed to save a bunch of blank articles instead of  actually having anything submit.

The save incomplete button does nothing.

The save and submit button just makes a blank incomplete article saved along with giving me that error.

8 years ago

I got the same error when I tried to publish my article. I copied what I wrote before I submitted it, and then alternated between pressing the back button and the submit button until it worked.

8 years ago

Yeah, works for me now.

8 years ago

Still don't know what causes the article glitch.  Sometimes it works for people and sometimes it doesn't.  Eventually, it should allow you to submit.

8 years ago

8 years ago

XD.....I think 'submitting' has too many syllables. It doesn't quite fit.....

8 years ago

Elide out the "u". Just keep s'bmitting~!

8 years ago

xD Fine, then, make your own mentally damaged, incessantly happy singing fish meme.

8 years ago

I've still been trying to submit. :(

I think I'm  going to end up flooding the system with blank saved articles at this point.

I can't do anything to delete them.

I don't want to be the cause of an article bug akin to the bugs  that we have had with images and storygames somehow, so I think giving up would be better.

8 years ago

Unless you've ended up making over 30,000 articles, you probably shouldn't worry about that.

8 years ago

I don't know how many other people experience the bug or for how long the bug has been in effect.

So who knows how many blank articles have been saved.

8 years ago

The bug's been around for a long time, but really, don't worry about it. If an article cap bug shows up, it can be taken care of then, don't worry about crossing bridges you haven't met yet.

8 years ago

Brad's right, it should be fine, but ... maybe you could take a break and work on something else, like a story. :P

8 years ago

I was able to submit my article yesterday. Does it give you a notification if it is approved/denied?

8 years ago
@Sethaniel ?

8 years ago

No. Just the points. <Misread there And neither do the mods/admins get notifications of article submissions.

So that tag on IAP's post is a good idea.

8 years ago
I was going to provide a link, but I couldn't find the thread where Seth explained it...

8 years ago

I think it was my thread actually, the "Rules of writing WC".

Or if it wasn't, then in that too.

8 years ago
Link?

8 years ago

8 years ago
Yep.  That's the one.  Thanks.

8 years ago

I believe Seth said once that he gets no notification when an article is submitted for approval, so, yes; tagging and/or messaging is a good idea.

8 years ago

I'd strongly suggest PMing, Seth is not online right now and will likely have a full set of notifications burying the tag. He's a pretty busy guy.

8 years ago
Good idea.  I don't know if tags expire like other notifications.

8 years ago

It takes a day or two.

But I miss many tags due to every other thread spamming my notifications, and I'm sure Seth's are even more crammed.

Oh look. "New reply in a post you're watching" just appeared. Coincidence.

8 years ago

True, it does take time for everything to process.

8 years ago

I can't speak for any other admins, but messages are always the best way to reach me.

My list of notifications is usually so deep I'm almost guaranteed to miss something if I'm just checking the list.

For the alert at the page top, Tags are behind PMs in priority.  Normally, once I've cleared my new messages, anything behind it (like tags) will show up.  However, my phone will just keep displaying the "3 new message(s)" alert forever, so you'd have to hope I noticed the tag notification in the list.

TL;DR I always check my messages.