Non-threaded

Forums » Writing Workshop » Read Thread

Find proofreaders here, useful resources, and share opinions and advice on story crafting.

The Rules of Writing WC

8 years ago

At this point I have seen many WC stories that fall to the same mistakes. They're comments are shouting them out, only a few, if any, listen to them. And apparently someone has to write a rule book of this, so here I go. These are based on mine, and other CYS member's opinions and reviews of of the WC games here.
Dear WC writer. Read this whole thing. Yes it's long, but if you can read the books, you can read this.

1 Listen to the 'haters' Unless they're telling you to die in a fire, or something of that sorts.They don't 'hate' it because it's WC, no matter what you think. They 'hate' on it because it's bad. So if you see comments on games, saying that the grammar is bad or the story is dull. I suggest you'd listen to them, and go fix it. And it may not even be hate, it might be building critique.(it most likely is.)

2 Have proper grammar! I can't even count the stories with this problem, almost all of them are like this. If you get the red squiggly line under your word, it means you spelled it wrong. Which means you're going to have to spell it again. If you don't know how to spell the word, google it. I use this method and it has worked fine for me. And please, there's a difference between too and to, know it! This also applies to there, they're their. And it's: 'She walks.' not 'She walk.' I think I'm done with my English for dummies-lesson, so let's move on.

3 Try to make a different plot Almost all the WC stories here seem like duplicates of one another. Yes you can have your growing up from kit to leader story if you want, but make it different. Give it an element to make it stick out. They are cats, but it doesn't mean they can't breathe fire or have other crazy powers. There's a world of possibilities. You could have different ranks, or different clans. Why not make a game about the ancient clans? Or a game where the leaders and medicine cats can harness the power of their clan name? Now isn't that different?

4 Add a disclamer at the end This is not necessary, but I recommend it. At the end of your story place little note saying: 'If you found this through google and are thinking about making a story yourself, first consider do you have what it takes?' This would control the bad WC writers, that ignore these rules, flooding in to the site.

5 Add adjectives, lots of them Description runs the world of your story. Have lots of adjectives in your story. The better you describe the scene, the better the reader can see it, and most likely have more fun reading your story.

6 Polish your writing It sounds better. Use the fancy words. For example: 'Firestar looked at Tigerstar. "You will not destroy my clan." Firestar meowed. "You think you can stop me?" Tigerstar meows.' can be turned in to: 'Firestar glared in to Tigerstar's scorching amber eyes. "I will not let you destroy my clan!" Firestar muttered slashing his tail through the air. "You think you can stop me?" Tigerstar hisses with a murderous glare.' Doesn't that sound better?

7 Don't be afraid to ask the community If you need help, just make a thread. The people here are very helpful, well most of them. If you have questions ask them. I for example made a thread about my game, it would be another bad one if I wouldn't have made that thread. If you're having trouble with rule 6 and 5, I suggest you get a story editor who has that under control.

8 The gender choice is not necessary Some people really don't care, whether they're a tom or a she-cat. They advise to not have the entire choice, unless it affects the story. Some people find it annoying to pick they're gender, and most find it annoying to pick it ten times. So if you have a gender choice, make it matter and appear only once. For an example: I believe it was 'Warrior Cats Adventure' by Wildfur, that had a patrol, which your gender determined. If I remember correctly, as a tom you would run in to a fox, and as a she-cat in to an enemy patrol. And my brother is making a game where as a she-cat you will be the clan's medicine cat, but as a tom a warrior. Long story short, if it doesn't affect the story, you might just leave it out.

9 Choices need to affect the story I'll start off with a question: Would you prefer three 'continue' links in a row, or three links leading to the same page in a row. I don't know about you, but some people think that every choice should affect the story. Whether it's a choice of will you hunt or patrol, or a choice of running in to a forest fire to save kits. It should at least seem like it affects the story.

10 Do NOT rush! This is the most common complain I see in the comments after, 2 and 3. Never make a game in a day. It does not end well. Don't even think when you'll publish, until the time comes. Take your time! If you're eager to get your story out, work on it more often, but remember to work at normal and speed. It gets it out faster, yet with out the minuses of rushing. You should work on your story for at least a month, maybe six, or even ten, depends on how long it is. A good story may consume years.

11 Work on only one project at a time This gets your focus on the one you're writing. You may write some small stories to get feedback on your writing style, but I suggest to not work on many large projects at a time.

12 Consider remakes Let's say you already wrote a WC story, and it got bad ratings. People have commented that the problem was your poor grammar and clumsy dialogue. So if you would be in this situation, I'd suggest you to remake the game and fix the listed problems. Doing this might raise your ratings.

13 Design the characters well I suggest you take a day of just charting your characters. Just sit down and think it through. Like this: This cat will be the leader. It will look like this, and has this kind of personality. And it will have this significance to the story.

14 Know the characters In order to not have clumsy dialogue, you need to make it sound believable. To do this, you have to have your characters planned. You need to know your characters, know what they would say in that situation, and what they would never say in that situation.

15 Proofread before publishing! This is very important, as it is the last time to check your grammar and that you have links to proper pages. And of course, is your story what you want it to be. If you're too lazy to proofread yourself, you can always get someone else to do it for you.

16 Introduction to the world Not everyone knows the WC details. You should introduce the reader to your world, whether as a kit, apprentice or warrior. It doesn't matter as long as you have it. And you should write: 'a day in the season of Greenleaf' instead of ' a day of Greenleaf'.

17 The reader needs to know their mate You can't just write: 'You met a cat named Sandstorm. You spend some time hunting, and she asked you to be her mate.' You can write this, if you have had scenes with Sandstorm in them. I have seen stories where your mate doesn't have a single line of dialogue. The reader needs to have the chance to spend time with their mate-to-be. They need to know what they like about that cat. They need to know why they should be together. They need to know the cat.

These are the rules of writing WC. There may be more, but I just forgot to add them. If you can come up with some rules I forgot, than post them here. I hope this wil up the quality of WC games at least a little.

(I also hope I won't sound like a hypocrite once my story gets published)

The Rules of Writing WC

8 years ago

I hope WC fans won't make any more bad storygames. We already got too many and none of them are good. Nice one, Rosetail!

The Rules of Writing WC

8 years ago

Please submit this as a Help & Info article so we can direct all WC writers to it. I have no doubt Seth will approve it.

The Rules of Writing WC

8 years ago

I was thinking about it, but I thought that it wouldn't help the non WC writers here. But we need to get the WC writers here under control somehow.

I guess it's worth a shot.

The Rules of Writing WC

8 years ago

No, your rules work for regular writers, too.

The Rules of Writing WC

8 years ago

Well I guess these apply to regular writers too. I'll do it.

The Rules of Writing WC

8 years ago

I tried and it gave me this:

ADODB.Recordset error '800a0cc1'

Item cannot be found in the collection corresponding to the requested name or ordinal.

C:\WEBSITES\CHOOSEYOURSTORY\CHOOSEYOURSTORY.COM\HELP\ARTICLES\../../Includes/Components/Article.vbs, line 94

What does that mean?

The Rules of Writing WC

8 years ago

It means the site is glitching out again. *sigh* Sorry to see that. I'd try again on another day.

The Rules of Writing WC

8 years ago

Well, tomorrow's Saturday. I'll try tomorrow.

The Rules of Writing WC

8 years ago

It has been done! I submitted with a few adjustments just five seconds ago. Now we just wait.

The Rules of Writing WC

8 years ago

Your wait would be shorter if you tagged Seth. XD 

Reminder to all: seth's magical palantir doesn't show him new articles. Eventually, he'll probably notice you talking about your recently submitted article.  Probably.

The Rules of Writing WC

8 years ago

I'll remember that the next time I decide to write an article.

If I decide to write another article.

Anyway, it was accepted!

The Rules of Writing WC

8 years ago

Yes, by me, after I finally noticed it. XD

The Rules of Writing WC

8 years ago

Yay! Whenever I see a new WC writer, I will be sure to direct them to the article.

The Rules of Writing WC

8 years ago
I feel like point 17 does not apply to most writers.

The Rules of Writing WC

8 years ago

xD ... It still sort of applies in the way that a similar problem occurs in human romances in other story games. I've seen some awful, clumsy, and incredibly poorly paced romances.

The Rules of Writing WC

8 years ago
To be fair, if the romance is done poorly, odds are the rest of the story is just as bad.

Is there a story on here that's good but does romance poorly?

The Rules of Writing WC

8 years ago

A part of me is tempted to list my own games, lol ...

But I can't honestly thinking of one that does the romance part that poorly and does everything else truly passably.

However ... I'm a little confused as to the point of your question. Isn't the goal of an article to inform people or help them improve? Telling young / new / otherwise ill-informed writers that they need to let us truly get to know romantic leads is good advice, regardless of what else they understand / don't understand.

The Rules of Writing WC

8 years ago
"Is there a story on here that's good but does romance poorly?"

^This question? Because that was just out of curiosity.

I don't disagree with that, I just haven't really heard of a story on here where the romance was included but at a noticeably lower level in writing. I mean, in essence 17 is a redundant point, because 13 and 14 already encompass it. If someone isn't describing the characters in the romance properly, odds are they aren't describing any other characters right either.

The Rules of Writing WC

8 years ago

Sometimes redundant points are good, you have to know all the aspects of the shit you're dealing with, else you might not think of some of the aspects you need to fix. Especially if you're as young/naiive as the Stereotypical WC is.

The Rules of Writing WC

8 years ago

Agreed.

The Rules of Writing WC

8 years ago

Well, yeah. But most of them do apply. And maybe 17 can be somehow used.

The Rules of Writing WC

8 years ago

I think having an article specifically titled about Warrior Cat fanfics is basically further telling the inter-world that we're a WC-fan site haha. Not the best idea IMO. Besides that this is just a retelling of other articles about making a decent Storygame.

EDIT: Woah. There's the problem with people necroing threads. Dead topic. :P

The Rules of Writing WC

8 years ago

Ha-ha. Sorry about that. I'll leave this thread be then. XD

The Rules of Writing WC

8 years ago
Rosetail, you are beautiful! Thanks to this, now I might write a WC story, now that some people will begin improving their stories. Some people did hate WC just because it was WC.

The Rules of Writing WC

8 years ago

I don't see what her physical appearance has to do with this at all... <.< >.>

#WizzTail

#RoseCat

The Rules of Writing WC

8 years ago
Oh fuck... *facepalms*

The Rules of Writing WC

8 years ago
...Aaaand one more for the list.

The Rules of Writing WC

8 years ago

How does Bluefur deal with this?

The Rules of Writing WC

8 years ago

I tried to check your profile if your list is there.

You crashed my web browser. What magic is this!

The Rules of Writing WC

8 years ago

That's... Not a good sign. I'll see if I can fix that. Don't worry, though. #Wizztail never made it onto the Couple of the Week thread, but I might have made a picture for the poll just in case it had...

The Rules of Writing WC

8 years ago

Well that was interesting...

And what picture? You're gonna photoshop my face in Wizz's robot suit?

The Rules of Writing WC

8 years ago

Nah... Each poll option has an image which shows the portmanteau and the two usernames that comprise it. The one for #Wizztail looks like this.

The Rules of Writing WC

8 years ago

Oh.

The Rules of Writing WC

8 years ago

... That was awesome! (Though somehow I get the sad feeling that most WC fans are going to glance over this and go "this guy is so stoopid!!! i dont need 2 do dis stuff bcoz mi games r gud already i rite really gud games and dis guy is just jealous!!! and he rites 2 much it shoud b shortr")
Gonna have to disagree with rule 8 though. I like being able to choose my gender in a game and I don't really think it needs to effect the story much at all. The only thing I don't like is the whole having to remind the game what gender you are on every other page thing. Fixing that would be good. >.<

The Rules of Writing WC

8 years ago

Well, yes there are also people like you, who do care about the gender choice, (I am also one of them, though it doesn't matter that much to me) but not all are like that. If you are willing to do extra work, I guess you could ignore 8. Yes the every page reminding needs to be fixed. Otherwise you could just go. For this page I will be a she-cat, and for the second I will be a tom.

The Rules of Writing WC

8 years ago

I suggestion publishing this as an article as well. This is just perfect.

The Rules of Writing WC

8 years ago

This is amazing! I am making a WC fanfic, and it's very elaborate. I have a whole chapter on designing your cat. I would have to disagree with 8 a little. I hate it when I'm playing a WC thing...and then - "Ivyclaw blushes and looks at you. 'Will you be my mate?' she asks." I freak out. I DON'T WANNA BE A GUY! So, I would like that option.

The Rules of Writing WC

8 years ago

Nevermind, you don't have to reply to that 8 part. Just saw what was right up there.

The Rules of Writing WC

8 years ago

...but you understand that the character is not 'you', right? Even in a CYOA where you get a say in the direction the plot takes, you're still reading about a fictional character of the author's invention. Sometimes, depending on the story the author wants to tell, that character is going to be a guy. Would you really rate a game down, or stop watching a movie or reading a book, because the protag has different private parts than you?

The Rules of Writing WC

8 years ago

Rosetail's profile is so precious, bless her heart.

The Rules of Writing WC

8 years ago

You stole my quote.

The Rules of Writing WC

8 years ago

Are you the 'I can't remember person' ? If you are I'll fix it.

The Rules of Writing WC

8 years ago

This is actually pretty good, and I don't even know what the fuck Warrior Cats is. It's still a good guide for writing in general.

The Rules of Writing WC

8 years ago

Oh, you'll learn.

There's no escape from the Warrior Cats, and no stopping them.

(scroll down to the 'Newly Created' category on the Storygames page and there's at least one there at any given time. Just sitting there like a turd in a litterbox.)

The Rules of Writing WC

8 years ago

I'll check it out and get back to ya.

The Rules of Writing WC

8 years ago

Oh this should be good.

The Rules of Writing WC

8 years ago

Okay, I read them both. What the fuck did I just read?

Firstly: Talking cats. I fucking hate cats anyway, now I hate them even more.

Second: I assume it's for children, right? I can push aside the horrible writing then...

Third: You said there's... more? Why? Why would anybody even...?

The Rules of Writing WC

8 years ago
  • Now now, nothing wrong with talking animals, there are plenty of perfectly respectable books that feature them.
  • The book series is for children, but the stories here contain so much cat fucking that sometimes I wonder
  • Is there more?   Why yes.

The Rules of Writing WC

8 years ago

For best results, set the filter options to a minimum of one star, then click 'Rating' to switch the listing around to show the lowest rated stories first.

edit: And damn Puppy you got all mad at the good one and missed this piece of work, which sure is a thing someone wrote and thought was a good idea to publish here.

The Rules of Writing WC

8 years ago

I hope your campaign amounts to something.

The Rules of Writing WC

8 years ago

Here you go cat people, I found a moderately okay WC story for you: http://chooseyourstory.com/story/wild-cat

Looks like the author hasn't been around in a couple of years which is too bad, they might have been able to kickstart an amazing new era reconciling WC fics with the concept of grammar. 

Anyway the story would have had to be at least twice as long for anyone to take it seriously (and was sorely in need of some scripting at one point to remove the 'if blahblahblah, go here' choice which is basically what if statements exist for) but it otherwise did a lot of things right, especially for a first time author. You all would do well to emulate this. You need to get better now in order for your crappy cat fics to battle the crappy wolf sims for dominance.

The Rules of Writing WC

8 years ago

I find it quite humorous that the first story I'm writing for this site just so happens to be a bit of Warrior Cats fan fiction. This was before the blinding light of realization slapped me upside the head. I didn't know that there were so many Warrior Cats stories on this site beforehand, although it's something that I probably should have expected. I'm not at all surprised that many of them, from the sound of it, are poorly constructed. That being said, it's too late now for me to go back. I've put way too much work into this story already to leave it abandoned in the undergrowth, and besides... it's dedicated to my boyfriend. :)

I would like to extend my thanks to you for writing out this list of rules and regulations regarding Warriors fan fiction. They're pretty straight-forward and, to me, it's sad that people have to be told to watch their grammar, craft a fresher and more unique plot-line, and be descriptive in their writing. You'd think that these (and other) things would be beyond obvious, but for those just starting out in writing anything in general I suppose it's necessary.

Having said all this, don't worry. I have literally put months of work into this piece of fan fiction that I'm writing and am doing my best to make it as unique and interesting as possible. The setting is in Sri Lanka, of all places, for one thing. I hope I don't disappoint.

The Rules of Writing WC

8 years ago

An interesting location, months of work, your grammar and spelling are decent, and you're long-winded as far as this comment shows--all good signs. If you find you need help with things like scripting / beta-reading / exc, there are people on here who can and will help you (I'm decent at scripting, myself) so feel free to ask if you're unsure about anything. 

(Just don't ask me about anything W.C. related. Not a fan, just someone who hates to see an entire fandom trashed due to ... several unapologetically poor writers. >_>)

The Rules of Writing WC

8 years ago

Hello there,

Thank you very much! In regards to the assistance you've offered, I may very well need help with scripting, although considering that a healthy supply of information is provided in the "Help & Info" section I might be all right. I shall keep your offer in mind, however. Thank you!

(Ha-ha. Don't worry. Not at all a fan of poor writing myself, and even though I've read almost all of the main books in the series I feel that they themselves could use a bit of improvement. Working on changing things up a bit in my fan fiction.)

The Rules of Writing WC

8 years ago

You're welcome. The Help & Info section is very informative, but sometimes it's easier to learn from a one-on-one conversation where you can get feedback on questions or if someone can actually show you how it works in a game, hence my offer. Plus, there are some things the H&I does not teach you ... if you want an example of what I (and by extension, you) can do, well ... this is my current work in progress:

http://chooseyourstory.com/story/the-other-world

(Ah, thank God, the first WC writer who's admitted it--afaik, anyway. You have a good grasp of what you're getting if you can both be fond of the series and admit to it having flaws. It's blind fans I have trouble with. I understand loving something as a fan, even very much, but if you can't admit to its faults or silly moments, then you really don't have the awareness to make a decent fan story, y'know? At least, in my experience.)

The Rules of Writing WC

8 years ago

Yeah, I've been doing a lot of reading over in the "Help & Info" section. Gone through a fair portion of the articles there, including some of the technical-based ones. I'll be sure to ask for help if I run into any roadblocks, though. Thanks!

Unfortunately, the link you provided only sends me to the "Storygames Categories" page. :(

(Ha-ha. Well, thanks! And, yes, I completely agree with you there. Every story has its flaws, and the Warriors series is riddled with them. It's more the idea of the stories that I'm fond of than the overall execution, although it certain has its moments. It's good to recognize any book for its faults, for then you can learn from those faults and hopefully avoid such mistakes made.)

The Rules of Writing WC

8 years ago

Strange, it should work ... oh. I had sneak preview turned off. Try again?

The Rules of Writing WC

8 years ago

When you say explain the Warriors terms and stuff, do you mean we should be more clear, or we should add an introduction about it?

The Rules of Writing WC

8 years ago

People don't automatically know what's "Greenleaf" or "Whitecough", why there are and what are Gatherings. People may not know the Warrior Code, kits or apprentices don't know this automatically either, so why not let a character explain them, while explaining to the reader at the same time?

The Rules of Writing WC

8 years ago

Oh okay, I thought we had to add a whole dictionary.

The Rules of Writing WC

8 years ago

Whoa, Inkling, turn down the text plz.

The Rules of Writing WC

8 years ago

Sorry, I'm on mobile it's probably doing that on auto.