Non-threaded

Forums » Creative Corner » Read Thread

Take part in collaborative works, share your short stories, poems, original artwork and more.

Sci fi storygame speed challenge

3 years ago
Let's try this again, and in a less stupid way.

Write a storygame by July 1st. It should be science fiction, and it should be generally appropriate for kids. It doesn't have to be aimed at them specifically, but keep it PG-13 regardless.

Obviously we've all got a little sci fi in us and yet that category is half the size of fantasy. You guys did great with the mini dystopias so let's broaden this out a little and pretend like there's not two other contests already in progress.

3 years ago
YES, I LIKE THIS CONTEST.

3 years ago
Good excuse to cheat on my studying to do some low-pressure writing. Maybe I'll even finish my prologue by the end of it.

3 years ago

... Why the hell not? I'm in! ^_^

Are we betting points in this contest?

3 years ago
No, nothing that makes me have to do things.

3 years ago

But I like things. :(

3 years ago
Just to clarify: that's July 1st, 11:59 pm CDT.

And if there's any chance you might want to try this at the last minute, make sure you create the blank game in advance of the 48 hour waiting period the site has.

3 years ago

Oh, I should do this... erghhh... All of these contests seem like shortcuts to the pit of shame for me at this moment. I'll see if I can think up a short sci-fi before the time limit. Life has been busy for me (hence the general absence on the site), so no promises. 

3 years ago
Shadow I missed you. My recommendation does as I did 4 hours max and just write I did the planning prior. It is a funny experience and is a real speed challenge

3 years ago

Hey, Mara! I missed you too. Thanks for the recommendation! Perhaps I can block off four hours and make a plan prior.

3 years ago
No worries about SHAME for this one, it's a just for fun thing. I salvaged this whole thread idea from a ten year old after his hilarious meltdown and ban.

3 years ago

Ahh, I see things haven't changed too much! It isn't fun until some poor kid is banned for life.

3 years ago

Unfortunately missed the end of that one. It began with him hosting a contest, randomly followed by continuous ranting about how everyone hated him... What happened next? :p

3 years ago
He started making more threads with such titles as "troll derp", necroed a couple of others with emoji faces, and PMed me some gibberish created by smashing his face against the keyboard.

Then he must have reconsidered because he made a few more accounts from the same device pretending to be a real newbie with questions, and seemingly was confused when we saw through his brilliant disguise. I think he got up to 16 accounts in all, but I'd gone to bed and let End clean up the second round.

3 years ago

LOL. How in the world did you guess it was him? :p

3 years ago

If it's the same guy I'm thinking about, let's not forget the part where he messaged people (I assume whoever was online at that time) and asked:

To: Bill_Ingersoll
Date: 6/21/2020 10:41:17 AM

I'm making a storygame called Headshot and wondered if you wanted to collaborate.

"Headshot" turned out (surprise, surprise) a 200-word premise for a story, and "collaborate" meant "plz write my story for me."

That was as far as I saw. I shut down my computer and hung out with my father for the day, and by the time I got back the site was sanatized.

3 years ago
Yeah, a lot of people got a copy and paste of one. That in itself or the original thread asking the same thing isn't that unusual of a noob activity honestly. It was everything that came after that was kinda weird, even by the standards of our vintage collection of banned retards.

3 years ago
Much as I'm really proud of the little game I've made so far. I didn't manage to get it finished in time. :(

3 years ago
Well, I take the writing speed literally and made a game in less 4 hours trying to follow the ichio Halloween 4 hours mini-stories The problem is people started to judge a 4 hours speed game like it were a complete edited game so the critics were so terrible that I had to unpublished. So I guess had an ultra failure that is making the game and have to unpublished it in less than 2 hours.

3 years ago

Still better than your average Warrior Cats game. :p

3 years ago
Well, I never read one so no idea

3 years ago

I will also be a day or two late. I have it planned! Just need to find time to speed write.

There never was a Sci fi storygame speed challenge

3 years ago
Carry on folks, nothing to see here...

3 years ago
Then I did the ridicule or not? My game in 3 hours and 30 minutes is certainly bad compared with a normal slow game standard but I at least did one game in time and using the rules I have seen in several jams of less than 4 hours in speed writing. So what is worse do a game or don't?

3 years ago
I mean in your specific case, it really probably would've been better to just skip the whole thing rather than spending a week being upset about a game you spent four hours on. That just does not seem like an ideal use of anybody's time.

Otherwise it was a just for fun thing for people who wanted to do it and would have fun with it. Everyone got busy or sidetracked in this case and that's not a big deal, there was nothing on the line and this entire thread was just to try and salvage a trainwreck created by a banned retard anyway. Hopefully we'll all see some of the ideas we were working on in other forms later.

3 years ago
I think the only "Sci-Fi" here, was the concept of mixing the words "Speed" and "CYS" haha!

3 years ago

I'm sorry but I still have trouble understanding you lol

3 years ago
... Well considering the challenge doesn't exist, does that mean we can get an extension on it? :p

3 years ago
Let's keep this thread as a necroing ground for whenever we'll actually finish our things. Sounds scifi-y, right?

3 years ago
The sooner you fall behind the more time you'll have to catch up.

3 years ago

I like this idea. We can always claim that they were finished on July 1st in a different timeline/universe.

3 years ago
Or just get them done by July 1st next year. ^_^

I've heard nothing about any Scifi speed challenge

3 years ago
I've been something of a too faithful boy, and refrained from any cheating as I originally planned. The prologue will be big and epic and grand and cooler than any of the famous Michael Bay explosions, but it's too slow to write on a whim and as a side project.

3 years ago

I really need to finish the game I was working on. I was very nearly finished, but then got distracted by shiny things. ^_^

3 years ago
Crazy how it always goes like that. 2045 sounds like a good year to me

3 years ago

Can I join?

3 years ago
No.

3 years ago
WHAT IS UP FOLKS, IT IS ME, LITERALLY THE SAME NEWB AS BEFORE.

3 years ago

3 years ago
LMAO, Sneezer why would you think this would work? Do you have an actual brain disease?