Non-threaded

Forums » Feature Wishing Well » Read Thread

Suggestions for improvements and additions to the site.
This feature was accepted 2/28/2017: We'll do this in the form of an article
This feature was completed 8/19/2019: Cleaning up FWW.

[Site] Lists

7 years ago

One thing I'm concerned about is good content being submerged over time. I mean things like EndMaster's short stories and How to Indicate Sound in Writing. Similarly, I'm sure there will be pages of short stories and helpful discussion buried under years of detritus. 

Sure, Commendations go a long way in keeping these bookmarked, one post in each of those threads is commended. However, for someone looking to find previous discussions / resources, I doubt that after six months those posts would be easily found, even though their relevance would remain. 

I propose a new site feature called Lists, wherein users can string together important or interesting discussion threads / posts in one helpful hyperlinked List. For example, short stories can be collected in a list, or perhaps a more selective list of Fantasy Short stories or a list compiling all entries to a competition or (you can see where I'm going with this). Similarly threads/posts with usefyl writing resources can be Listed. Lists can either be public or private at the user's discretion, and can be located immediately above or below recent comments on a user's profile page. 

The site has a lot of content (the lack of which is usually the limiting factor elsewhere), I think compiling it into an easier to access format (Lists) would help the knowledge base grow stronger and help writers both present and future. Particularly helpful links could potentially be hosted by cysid.

Layout of Lists

# | Description (Upto say 200 characters) | Hyperlink

Looking forward to your thoughts on this

Cheers,

StrykerL

[Site] Lists

7 years ago

@StrykerL

Can you tag some other influential site members? I'm not sure if this is worth pursuing or not, but I think some way of archiving great threads might be a good idea, even if it's just an article that admins edit. Curious to see what others think.

[Site] Lists

7 years ago

Summoning the Literary Horde

Agenda: The best way to archive articles for future reference, with the aim of building a knowledge/resource base (and keeping good content easily reachable as time passes). From one perspective, it's taking the featured comment approach to forum posts - keeping the good easily accessible.

@Bannerlord @BerkaZerka @Bradindvorak @Bucky @CrescentStar @EndMaster @IronPanther 

@ISentinelPenguinI  @Killa_Robot @mizal @Ogre11 @Plelb @Seto @Steve24833 @Will11 

[Site] Lists

7 years ago

'... the featured comment approach to forum posts...' I think, right?

[Site] Lists

7 years ago

Yeah, typo :)

Could you kindly correct it in that post?

Possible Solutions:

• Lists
  • Reference Articles (in Help & Info) where the links are updated by mods (Kind of like the Reference Book section in a library)
  • Reference Posts (Pinned?) in the relevant forum, where the links are updated by mods
  • ?

[Site] Lists

7 years ago

I believe reference articles would work, unless the ability to pin a post could be added. Then it'd just fill the same role as the article, but may be easier to reference for forum regulars. 

For the article route, we might want a central "hub" article to handle all of the base level traffic. You want to direct people to one spot so everyone can easily link to it, then have enough information from there to branch outward and make it easy to find content. It'd probably make sense to spread out the lists, depending how many links/threads/etc are involved, into a couple articles. You'd also want to use a similar naming format for all of them, so people randomly searching the Help & Info section can see it's all related.

[Site] Lists

7 years ago

I would be for this, and I think it'd be best if someone could be assigned to doing this, kind of like how Will is assigned to moderating article submissions.

[Site] Lists

7 years ago

This is a good thought. If you have an assigned moderator handle it, then it wouldn't need to be added to an admin's plate. Although the article(s) likely wouldn't need to be updated too often once it's actually set up and a full collection of posts is gathered.

[Site] Lists

7 years ago
Hmm. This is one of those cases where the idea seems like it has a use, but I really don't think it justifies a new feature. What you're asking for is for each user to be able to make their own public archive at best, or to have a glorified bookmark keeper at worst.

As it stands you can pretty much already accomplish this by adding the links in your profile of threads you found interesting.

If you want an "official" method, then the best way is just to make an article called "Interesting Threads Archive" or something, and then link all the threads there, updating it as time goes on.

[Site] Lists

7 years ago

This pretty much mirrors my thoughts exactly. I'm going to go with this unless someone else provides a really excellent idea to the contrary.

If we go this route, who wants to write up the first draft of the article with as many threads as they can muster?

Threads should be archived because they were awesome, and not just because they were funny.

[Site] Lists

7 years ago

So basically a master thread in each forum, with content segmented links to relevant threads, such as

[Poetry]

[Creative Writing]

[Contests]

[Game Design]

[Storywriting]

[Everything else]

I'd avoid highlighting 'fun' / 'troll' posts, their inclusion into a list of this kind would just take the fight on that thread to the next level. Individuals can keep these up on their profiles if they want to.

To start, it can index all content that's been Commended, I can set this up if that's cool. I won't be able to mention content from before I joined for obvious reasons though.

[Site] Lists

7 years ago

Yeah, an article with categories for different thread types would be awesome. Maybe one for 'weekly roundups' or something that can include the weekly reviews would be good, too.

[Site] Lists

7 years ago

Alright, up to some stuff IRL, should have these threads started within two days or so.

[Site] Lists

7 years ago

Wait, don't start threads, submit an article.

[Site] Lists

7 years ago

Mind if format this as multiple Articles to improve accessibility? For this first pass just checking everything that's Commended and mentioned those threads with a few words and a hyperlink

In Website

[List] The Weekly Reviews (submitted, with 1-35)

[List] Everything else

[List] Competitions

In Scripting

[List] Scripting notable posts

In Advanced Editor

[List] Advanced Editor notable posts

Storywriting

[List] Notable CYStian Creative Writing

[List] Notable CYStian Poetry

[List] Game Design

[List] Storywriting

[Site] Lists

7 years ago

Alright, this will unintentionally qualify for a lot of commendations (due to articles being accepted), which would not be fair to the system. I'm fine with a mod uploading this, or I not receive Commendations for these articles (in any case there's a bug right now where articles aren't getting commendations, so I can just put these up and then don't give these commendations when the bug is fixed)

e: We could consider making a separate section for Lists in Help and About us if that'd be more useful than adding lists among the existing sections 

[Site] Lists

7 years ago

[List] Creative Writing (Standalone)

EndMaster's short stories

Nine exceptional stories from EndMaster written as prompts at one point or the other in the 2000s. Highly recommended for fans of the author.

The Call of PikaChulu by BerkaZerka

BerkaZerka crosses the Lovecraftian mythos with the Pokemon world. Chaos, comedy, and a rogue Pikachu follow.

Dark City by BerkaZerka

Dark City is a collaborative story by the site’s members, set around a city where the villains reign supreme. The fantastic may be involved, but all supernatural occurrences retain an element of plausible deniability. The setting has inspired some excellent reading, and though it may not be updated too frequently, new content is always welcome.

Has evolved a detailed backstory and supporting elements, helpful for anyone wanting to step up and add to this content available here.

Tags: Collaborative Content, Fantasy, Modern Times, Dystopia, Economics

The Council of Nine by Steve24833

If you aren’t offended, Steve isn’t doing his job well. An alternate reality story set in the world of CYStia where forum personalities are the protagonists.

Cystia Fall into Darkness by mizal

The one where a Banisher takes reaping tips from a Necromancer

Untitled, by EbonVasilis

Two roads diverged from one moment. An excellent short story with a time skip, and pens which can change the properties of reality

Tags: Short Story, Fantasy, Dystopia, Magic

Zag's Collaborative CYOA - Born Among a Hundred

Zaghero builds a superhero story where the forum members decide what happens next

A Westerner goes to Japan by StrykerL

A humorous short story on the importance of focus while writing

Untitled, by Fazztheman

Tags: Modern, Family,

Chapter 1: The Order of the Glowing Sigil, by seib6466

Tags: Short Story, Fantasy, Magic

[List] Prompts

Prompts are an excellent way to flex your literary muscles and get honest feedback on your work. At the same time, you also get a chance to see how other authors worked with the same prompts. New members (and experienced ones who want to sharpen their skills) are welcome to participate in these.

Seto’s writing prompts have inspired weeks of excellent writing, based on at least one of three prompts chosen every week.

Writing Prompts: Week #2

·        Prompt #1: The protagonist sacrifices themselves to save the antagonist.

·        Prompt #2: The king is dead...

·        Prompt #3: "What happens when the clock strikes twelve?"

Writing Prompts: Week #3

·        Prompt #1: Write a story set in a world in the future, where machine and men are basically one and the same.

·        Prompt #2: Sharing an ice cream during the apocalypse.

·        Prompt #3: "Is revenge a science or an art?"

Writing Prompts: Week # 4

·        Prompt #1: The antagonist and protagonist are family, and every Christmas they go home and have a Christmas dinner with their parents. (Doesn't have to be a superhero/supervillain sort of dynamic)

·        Prompt #2: An abandoned house.

·        Prompt #3: "I never thought I'd enjoy my own funeral so much"

Writing Prompts: Week #5

Writing Prompts Week #7

·        Prompt #1: A child notices their birthday cake always has 5 candles.

·        Prompt #2: The Dragon Village

·        Prompt #3: "Reality doesn't work that way."

Writing Prompts: Week #8

• Prompt #1: What if you were just the side character in a story?
  • Prompt #2: A winter journey
  • Prompt #3: "Are we the only ones left?"

Romulus’ poetry prompts have been well curated and a strong focus on the technical aspects of poetry are especially helpful for aspiring poets.

Poetry Prompts - Week 1

·        Topic: Winter

• Optional requirement: Write a poem using iambic and/or trochaic lines.

Poetry Prompts - Week 2

• Topic: Cities
  • Optional requirement: Incorporate a form of rhyme in your poem

Poetry Prompts - Week 3

• Topic: Something Sad.
  • Optional requirement: Incorporate a form of alliteration.

Poetry Prompts - Week 4

• Topic: Anything at All.
  • Optional requirement: Write your poem in Blank Verse.

Poetry Prompts - Week 5

• Topic: Love.
  • Optional requirement: Write a sonnet.

Poetry Prompts - Week 6

• Topic: Time.
  • Optional requirement: Write a ballad.

[List] Poetry (Standalone)

Poetry for religions class by Betaband

A poem with an eerie vibe         

[List] Everything else

The CYStian Roll of Honor by Will11 – Week 1

Will11 tracks the highest commendation Earners of CYStia

List of interesting Interactive Fiction games

Many Parser based. Note IF differs from CYoA in that IF tends to be Parser led narrative while CYoA tends to be structured choice led narrative.

What is Flash Fiction?

Expertly explained by IronPanther

EndMaster’s product line

The middle of another CYS vs CoG thread produces an unexpected gem as EndMaster gets into the consumer products business… to dubious results. No refunds accepted, and always read the fine print. Thread also has a quick discussion on economics of commercial storygames.

The Sage’s Library

Creative banter regarding the nature of the Orders.

[List] Competitions

Bucky’s February Flash Fiction Contest, February 2017  

Home to numerous commended 200-300 word flash fiction entries from a diverse list of authors and spanning numerous genres. An excellence compilation of stories that convey a lot with a little. Recommended for new writers.

Related: Feedback thread here

EndMaster’s EdgeLord Competition, February 2017

[Mature Content] A compendium of the edgiest works CYS could churn out, to appease EndMaster’s will, complete with EndMaster’s gleeful roasts of the participants. You’ll want to avoid this if you’re easily offended.

[List] Scripting notable posts

[List] Advanced Editor notable posts

[List] Game Design

Game design is distinct from Storywriting in its focus on the nature of choices and consequences in game structure.

A large list of resources (outside CYS) useful for designing CYOAs

On methods to explore the game world

Are games with only one or two end links acceptable?

Detailed insights on how to design epic storygames where quest mechanics are involved

[List] Storywriting

How to give the Reader choices?

Extensive discussion regarding how to structure choices, particularly useful for writers switching over from linear stories into CYoAs. A varied discussion that should be very helpful to newcomers.

Tags: Storywriting, Choice, Branching, Story length, Scripting, Humor, Software

Why removing guns in a fiction setting won’t lead to swordfights

An inquiry whether the absence of guns would realistically lead to modern day equivalent battles being fought in close quarters (swordfighting, for example) leads to multiple helpful responses. The quick answer: no, the longer answer: it’s nuanced.

On the use of Flashbacks

On Naming a Villain (hint: they can be named anything, it’s the actions that count)

How to create a setting

How to speed-proofread well

Tips for writing sequels

How to Indicate Sound in Writing? (Onomatopoeia)

Why to not make ‘multiple part’ stories (make complete, self-contained stories)

On the use of commas

Murder Mysteries, Detective Stories, and Linearity

Quotation marks and commas

[List] Storywriting Critique

The following are prompts put up in the writing workshop that got helpful feedback. Some of the pointers on these threads may be useful for writers aiming to work with similar themes

DaCaRi’s Pirate story

Feedback related to: Character design, use of magic

Tags: Pirate, Treasure, Magic

Nyctophilia’s Aloris: The King’s Son storyline

Feedback related to: World building, Detailing

Tags: Fantasy, War, Politics

StrykerL’s Floatstones – Thinking out loud

Feedback related to: World building, Detailing

Tags: Sci-Fi, Technology, Post-Apocalyptic

TheTraveler’s Untitled Post-Apocalyptic story

Feedback related to: Passive vs Active, Clichéd descriptions, detailing, grammar, planning

Tags: Sci-Fi, Family, Post-Apocalyptic, Mystery

Making a Rebellion Story by AzureChevalier

Feedback related to: Plot consistency and meaning

Tags: High Fantasy, Politics, Laws, Governance

[Site] Lists

7 years ago

Will upload this as one or multiple articles based on feedback. Also, I recommend whoever does this going forward to this weekly, or this can pile up fast

[Site] Lists

7 years ago

It should definitely be one article with different headings. It's totally okay if it's super long.

[Site] Lists

7 years ago

The first version of the article is up. Now to the question of stewardship. The contents can be updated monthly (by a mod who can edit articles), and new content can be found from recommendations on the thread now up in the Lounge + tracking all the items that were commended in the given time frame. However, atleast one person will need to take stewardship of this. I'm happy to have created the first version, but can't say for certain I'll always have the time to update this.

[Site] Lists

7 years ago

This is a fair response. It wouldn't be too hard to keep something updated this way and it could still be a community collaborative effort for those interested.