Non-threaded

Forums » Writing Workshop » Read Thread

Find proofreaders here, useful resources, and share opinions and advice on story crafting.

My first serious story, I need help!

10 years ago

Hi, I am kind of new to chooseyourstory, and I finally got a idea, for a story, It'll be a survival story, but not a zombie one, the type of one where you have to survive with your resources, build a house and avoid dangerous animals, I need help for a title, (and also I love throwing in some humor in my story, so if it's a bit goofy, forgive me.)

Here's what I got so far

You were on a ship, and then out of nowhere a mutiny occured, you had no knowledge of this, and you joined the captain in trying to fight the mutiny, The mutineers soon overpowered, the captain was thrown overboard, and you were aswell, you passed out from drowning because you never learned how to swim you idiot. You soon washed up upon a island, and now you must use your resources, and your enviorment, if you want to survive, so that means no cellphones, no hand served meals, this is old fashioned survival and if you can't accept that please get off of this page. If you can accept that, then welcome! This is one of my first games, my original first game was Survive The Popular Kids, but I've decided to renew myself, because that game was a abonimation.

Any suggestions,mistakes or criticism?

10 years ago

I will give some advice, but a few questions.

1. Is magic viable.

2. Do you have any gear on you.

3. Do we have funny accents.

4. We near Mexico/Royal/the other normal pirate areas.

5. Did we somehow wash ashore with a female companion.

6. Any monkeys?

10 years ago

1.There will be caves with magical settings set upon them, so it's not just a typical island.
2.You will have nothing.(You must craft your own items, like a wooden knife, etc.)
3.Yup.
4.Your on a undiscovered island, that is very far-off, I might consider squeezing it in though.
5.If I squeeze in your number 4, I could make it where you can date other women, but you'll have to be civilized, because remember this is a survival type game.
6.There will be monkeys that will fling poo, and you can domesticate them if desired.

I also am going to have it where once your civilized, etc. you will be able to build a ship,(which will take a long time)and then you'll be able to sail on the ship, battle other pirates and you will be able to take over other islands and areas, and you'll be able to loot the ships, there'll be a lots of things you can do, besides only survival.

10 years ago

That was my suggestion, slowly tame monkeys.

Become king of the island.

Build a ship

Monkey crew.

10 years ago

I would also like to be able to fasison a clam-hammer (if that helps)  ;)

10 years ago

Actually, plenty of old-timey sailors didn't know how to swim, so not sure you should call your readers an 'idiot' because of something you the writer actually chose for them, that in a certain circumstance actually makes sense - but anyway...

If it's a Robinson Caruso type story - I highly recommend Cannibal Islanders AND some dangerous trapped Cave filled with Pirate Treasure!

10 years ago

I have one huge suggestion for you. Research. I have seen narratives hit walls and run into problems, because the person writing it did not do enough research on survival. While I have yet to see this problem in a CYOA story, I have seen it done in roleplaying games. Please know enough about the subject matter and write about it in a way that it clear to the player.

My only other suggestion is to flesh out the setting as much as possible and know exactly what is on the island. For instance, what type of island is it? What are the weather patterns? What's the fauna and wildlife like? Chances are, you won't use all the details, but it is necessary. Better to know more than less.

Other than that, you have a fascinating premise and a great beginning. I hope that you can make this work and write a great overall story about survival.

10 years ago

Alright, thanks, I'll do lots of research and put as much detail to my best ability.

10 years ago

Make sure there's a giant ape who kidnaps the protagonist and dies dramatically at the end.

10 years ago

While clinging to a giant tree surrounded by ant hills?

10 years ago

Giant Ant Hills (but with regular-sized ants)...

10 years ago

Regular*
*The size of horses