Non-threaded

Forums » Reading Corner » Read Thread

Dust off a seat and discuss a good book here...you do read, right?

Harry Potter and the Chamber Of Secrets

9 years ago

Anyone read any of the Harry Potter books? If you haven't, you should do! I once spent my whole day reading one of those books, I had to skip my morning shower and my afternoon nap.

9 years ago

I have read one of the early ones but I never finished it.

9 years ago

You should try the second one. They are VERY LONG books, but just read them at nights. They are funner that way.

9 years ago

They're not particularly long by fantasy standards. I don't think the first two are more than 300 pages. 

9 years ago

Their quite short to what I like to read. 

I've only actually read 1-3 and the last book. The Movies are mostly my source of information. lol The Chamber of Secrets was alright but I understand there was a difference compared to the writing of the first few books and the last.

9 years ago
That substandard garbage? Your time would be better spent reading real fantasy, like LOTR.

9 years ago

Harry Potter has done very well for garbage. Not liking ones work is fine, negating there accomplishments is not.

9 years ago

Both Harry Potter and LOTR have very immersive worlds and, if I'm honest, I find Harry Potter's characters more compelling even if LOTR is by far my favorite fantasy series out of the two.

Keep in mind that one was first written by a single mother living on state benefits while the other was written by a language professor who was also a war veteran. Very different people, and understandably, very different books. LOTR has unparalleled depth of world-building while Harry Potter has widespread appeal across multiple demographics (which doesn't automatically make it garbage, contrary to popular belief)