Non-threaded

Forums » The Lounge » Read Thread

A place to sit back, hang out, and make monkey noises about anything you'd like.

Writing Exercises / Writing Prompts?

7 years ago

Hey, guys. I got a PM from Havoc the other day and as I have his permission, I'd like to extend part of the conversation to y'all: 

"I was just wondering if you had any plans for the future regarding the writing exercises you had been doing? I thought they had looked like fun when you were hosting them. I know you may just not have the time between your responsibilities as a moderator now, and your work on your own stories, but I'm curious none the less."

"I was also thinking that if you do not have the time for those then maybe something along the lines of writing prompts. Nothing for points, just optional writing prompts that could be done everyday to get some writing experience, and get the creative juices going."

"So rather than every week you could do it once a month, two weeks on two weeks off, every other week, specific day/s of the week, etc. Have it be something of an event that only comes around so much, instead of a constant ever present thing. That would help keep it from taxing your creativity, and it would give you a lot more time than you'd had before to do whatever you need to do."

Do you guys want to see the writing exercises revived, points / formality and all? Or would you prefer not to have the pressure of the tagging / point system, and just jump in to write by the prompts whenever?

Also, would you be okay with this being a once a week deal instead of any every day thing, Sundays or Mondays, perhaps? On the other hand, it could be a five day week, but only one in the month. 

I know I also mentioned that I was considering a contest. If you don't care about doing the prompts or the exercises, but still want the contest (or if you want all of the above,) feel free to weigh in about that, too. (I want to do a contest regardless.)

Also, please understand, I cannot do either of these right away. After all, I still have my moderator duties, my personal / co-authoring projects, my health, my personal life, my job, exc. 

7 years ago
Don't people just jump in on certain prompts anyways when there's writing exercises going on? IIRC few people do every prompt and the majority tend to do w/e.

7 years ago

Depended on the week, honestly.

7 years ago
I enjoy the exercises (when I have the time) and I feel that the writing is its own reward.

7 years ago

Any thoughts on frequency?

7 years ago
1/T

7 years ago

Hush, I wasn't asking you.

7 years ago
Depending on the exercise, one or two a week would probably be enough.  Hashing out a few sentences takes almost no time at all, while reinventing the wheel world might take a bit longer.

7 years ago

The prompts and exercises are fun. I hope another batch gets rolling soon.

7 years ago

Great, but no comment on scheduling / method?

7 years ago

Well, I don't really mind when they come out. I don't tend to do all the prompts due to clashes with my schedule. But, maybe one every two days?

7 years ago

Yes.

7 years ago

I always really enjoy the writing exercises, and I'd it if they returned. However, I know that I don't aways have time to do them, and I usually mostly do those that I find interesting.

I think once a week(ish) would be a good balance, especially with your busy schedule. Points and such, of course would be nice, but I wouldn't mind if this was just an optional, no-pressure kinds thing either.

7 years ago

Yeah, this seems like a cool idea, I'd support bringing it back. Maybe once or twice a week would be cool, although I'd say don't bother tagging people, because sometimes it can serve just as a little  aid to writers block while someone might not do it every week. Oh, and sorry about your waning health.

7 years ago

(Random unrelated cut in)

We all have waning health. Just some of us faster than others.

Kiel is turning ino an old, feeble man who yells at kids who play on his lawn, muttering to himself about "the good old days" and the War.

7 years ago

Ah yes, the WC war of 2014-2015... You don't know what we had to go through man. The things we've seen. The stories we've read. Kiel... he never was the same. #neverforget #hashtag

7 years ago

I choose all of the above, it will give people ideas for their stories, or actually make a story for a contest.

7 years ago

I rather enjoyed them as well, and I think that perhaps one a week would be a great idea.

7 years ago

I like all the ideas as well, but I would not do it for points. I think a good day to do it would be every other Wednesday at Noon (CT). 

7 years ago

*conversation color is like link color* *taps furiously* >:# oh, it's text.

I WANT THIS TO HAPPEN. I missed the old ones ;-;

7 years ago

The feedback is appreciated, all. I'll start thinking of exercises. If you have any suggestions, please let me know. 

(My health is not that damn bad, nor am I that old. :P Honestly, Zag. You know I don't need those pills... )

7 years ago

Kiel, you're using the wrong text color! Very bottom left!

7 years ago

If you insist.

7 years ago

I find it near-impossible to read, especially compared to your previous.

7 years ago

Alright, I'll be thinking. You bet I do. ;)

Free Idea!

7 years ago

No man of Woman Born:

No mortal can resist the evil of the Thriller! Except that one guy who can... Fuckin' Todd... Write a bizarrely specific/bizarrely broad/vague curse or condition. Under what technicalities does your hero avoid the curse? If they can't, how do they deal with the affliction? Examples of avoidance: Eowyn kills the Witch King because she's not a man, Macduff was untimely ripped from his mother's womb,  Examples of overcoming: the vampire who wears sunscreen, Jack Sparrow can only walk on land every 3 years, so he carries a jar of dirt with him so that he's always on land.

7 years ago

Goes without saying, but I am in favor of the writing exercises, and writing prompts. There isn't much for me to say on it that wouldn't just be repeating my thoughts in different words. Just do what you want on a schedule that works for you, and I'm sure it will be a success.

I would like to see a contest held as well, though I don't think I'm quite ready to participate. I'll just sit this one out and cheer from the sidelines. In the meantime I'll just continue to get my bearings, and make myself at home, so I'll be ready for the next one.

7 years ago
1 per week or every other week, sundays, points.

Yes to contest - has to be from a section that has a 5/8 in the Top Rated Games In This Category. (fanfiction, love and dating, edutainment, etc.)

7 years ago

I would be entirely willing to participate in both of those (especially that type of contest.)