Non-threaded

Forums » The Lounge » Read Thread

A place to sit back, hang out, and make monkey noises about anything you'd like.

Procrastination Problems

7 years ago

Slowly, I'm deteriorating into the one of the most pathetic laziest pieces of shit you can find.

I really want to work on my story. I do. It's the first thing I set my mind to when I made this account. But, one day, in the midst of my enthusiastic creating and typing, I got distracted. Distracted by the forums, distracted by the community, hell even distracted by the Help & Info Section and all their shiny promises of trophies and whatnot.

Honestly, I think I've spent more time lurking the forums and archive binging old threads than I have working on my story, which is a shame because it's honestly something I've put a lot of thought into. But, in the end, I end up being less productive than I desire, and to my chagrin, I find that I spent all my free time on things I really didn't care for before getting distracted and things I really wouldn't benefit from after I've done it.

It's not that I can't get my ass into high gear from time to time. It's just that when I log on to this site, more often than not, I'm just here to read threads of things I don't care about and read old messages in the My Stuff section. That'd really hurt the deadline I'm trying to dedicate myself to. Sigh...

Anyways, fellow procrastinators, how bad are your procrastination problems, and more importantly, what methods do you assume to overcome them?

Procrastination Problems

7 years ago

1. Read my profile from the eighteenth line.

2. I wouldn't say procrastination is a problem for me. In real life. I once had three English assignments due to be handed in, and i didn't start on any of them until the period before English. Still got them done though. And passed. I'm just the sort of person that works best under pressure.

Procrastination Problems

7 years ago

But the problem is that there isn't a deadline for stories on this site.

Procrastination Problems

7 years ago

Yeah. Which is why i haven't gotten anything done.

Procrastination Problems

7 years ago

Write a CYOA by the end of January or you'll get penalized 500 points.

Procrastination Problems

7 years ago

Even with that penalty i doubt I'll get one finished. Or if i do, it'll be a piece of shit.

I'll just see what happens.

Procrastination Problems

7 years ago

Lol. Maybe we could make this a site feature. Being able to bet points to have a story up at whatever deadline you choose. It's basically what Bucky's doing, but it would help get rid of a lot of writer's block. Or alternatively. there could be a section on the weekly review called "the hall of shame" or something which displays the names of everyone who failed to meet their goal to write a story?

I might pitch this idea on the forums.

Procrastination Problems

7 years ago

I would be in there each and every week then.

Procrastination Problems

7 years ago

I would definitely support this.

Procrastination Problems

7 years ago

@Will11 Consider that Hall of Shame piece.

Procrastination Problems

7 years ago

Hm, the Review's not really there for shaming slow writers or making them feel bad about their lack of writing, I suspect if you're looking for volunteers to do those things though there'd be site members happy to oblige :) If anyone wanted to write an article on procrastination or writer's block though for the Review and send it to me that would be an interesting read, maximum irony points if it's unfinished :D

Procrastination Problems

7 years ago

I want to respond to this. I have this really long thing I wanna say about it. But it's a lot of words, and overwhelming. I'll do it later after binge watching several more episodes of this tv show I really like.

Procrastination Problems

7 years ago
Lock yourself in a room with your computer.

Turn everything off except your computer and the lights.

Disconnect from the internet.

Open your word processor.

Type words.

Procrastination Problems

7 years ago

I should probably just focus on writing my story without a computer to be honest. Pen and paper work just as well as text and code.

Procrastination Problems

7 years ago

My method is also pen and paper. I think best with it in front of me, especially the paper about five years old (still clean). If you use a pen, make sure it writes easily because too many times I've quit something because my hand hurt from pressing down and writing for too long. Another thing you could do is to go to a quiet place, put on some rain sounds, and force yourself to write at least a page a day. Just one page. "Spew shit" for as long as you need to. Another way is to make a brief outline of the entire story. Literally just mark three parts and flesh it out.

Procrastination Problems

7 years ago
Procrastination? No no, I've got no problems with it. Just look how many stories I published! What's that? Nun? And my school project isn't finished yet, eather? Well, maybe I do have a problem.

Procrastination Problems

7 years ago

Do you go to a Catholic school? I just find it funny that the nuns are scolding you for your lack of text-based adventure games. cheeky

Procrastination Problems

7 years ago
No. My school doesn't care about text-based adventure games. I'm the only one that scolds myself about not making any. Would be quite nice if we could just make choose your stories instead of the school projects we have instead, though.

Procrastination Problems

7 years ago

Just spew shit onto pages and never think about it. 

Procrastination Problems

7 years ago

Oh God, I have a major problem with procrastination, (which is why I'm wasting time posting on the forums when I should be writing that riddle game I was planning on getting finished before Christmas (but at least posting in the forums makes a nice change from playing shitty mobile games and watching my 1000th youtube video of the day.))

I'd say the best piece of advice I can give is to use one of those online timers and time yourself for an hour every day. In that time you have to write, even if it's only for an hour. Usually though, once the timer's up you'll be on a roll and will carry on writing for a few extra hours after. It works for me sometimes. ^_^

Procrastination Problems

7 years ago

Pssh... You got your game on the Top 5. Who cares how lazy you are?