Non-threaded

Forums » The Lounge » Read Thread

A place to sit back, hang out, and make monkey noises about anything you'd like.

What is a sport? (Again)

6 years ago
Would video games count?

What is a sport? (Again)

6 years ago

What do you mean by video games like NBA 2k17 yes because it's sports related but games like mario kart wouldn't because they aren't sports related.

What is a sport? (Again)

6 years ago
There's e-sports like competitive League or other MOBA's that are physically taxing on the players so shouldn't all video games be included in the sports section? :^)

What is a sport? (Again)

6 years ago

I would prefer not because by sports I mean athletic events but I guess if you look at it that way they technically are sports. If you were to add this category it would be your choice but I would prefer not.

What is a sport? (Again)

6 years ago
Ref 1 Ref 2

The original thread that had the best of #MarmotLogic was deleted. An absolute shame.

I wonder if anyone archived it

What is a sport? (Again)

6 years ago

When video games are a sport but chess isn't.

#MarmotLogic

What is a sport? (Again)

6 years ago

Honestly I see neither as sports because a sport is an athletic event using muscles and a bit of strategy to beat your opponents while Chess and Video games take a lot of strategy they require little to no athleticism.

What is a sport? (Again)

6 years ago
you should post about it in the thread and bring back the argument. god knows the lounge has been dead these past few weeks anyways.

Necroing is generally fine if it's contributing to the thread in a meaninful/new way. Make the post nice and it'll be a great debate to relight.

What is a sport? (Again)

6 years ago

"The International Olympic Committee (through ARISF) recognises both chess and bridge as bona fide sports, and SportAccord, the international sports federation association, recognises five non-physical sports: bridge, chess, draughts (checkers), Go and xiangqi,[4][5] and limits the number of mind games which can be admitted as sports"

What is a sport? (Again)

6 years ago

I realize the Olympic committee recognized them as sports but a lot of it was because they were getting hate from people who aren't necessarily good at sports so they wanted to be recognized as athletes. I personally think that's pretty stupid they should stand up for themselves but at another perspective I understand they would lose fans through all the hate that would happen. Most of the hate has been reduced now but E-Sports is a bold title when all they do is move there hands and use there minds. Video Games don't exercise important muscles as much as other sports.

What is a sport? (Again)

6 years ago

There is no evidence to support your argument, and Chess has been a sport for thousands of years. A sport is not, and never has been, a purely athletic event.

I say this as a pretty athletic person.

What is a sport? (Again)

6 years ago

Chess has never been considered a sport by anyone though. And a sport has always been the ideal of a mostly athletic game involving sweat.

What is a sport? (Again)

6 years ago

"Chess has never been considered a sport by anyone though"

Except for the two leading authorities on sports and the general population.

Like come on, we just went over this.

Also people sweat while playing chess.

What is a sport? (Again)

6 years ago

The general population does not consider chess a sport I guarantee that. And how can you possibly sweat during chess unless your in 90 degree heat or have obesity?

What is a sport? (Again)

6 years ago
Really? Did you personally ask that "general population"? At least here, most people agree that chess is a sport. And yes, I know this is news to you, but people sweat when they're nervous.

What is a sport? (Again)

6 years ago

http://www.debate.org/opinions/is-chess-a-sport

Hur dur I make claims without evidence hur dur.

What is a sport? (Again)

6 years ago
He doesn't need to know how to look things up. Whoever writes his story for him will obviously handle fact checking too. I mean that seems like a pretty good job for an obese nerd, pretty much the same as when he makes them do his schoolwork so I don't see the issue.

What is a sport? (Again)

6 years ago
Chess players are notorious bullies.

What is a sport? (Again)

6 years ago

Double post oops.

What is a sport? (Again)

6 years ago

Look up sports and you see this an activity involving physical exertion and skill in which an individual or team competes against another or others for entertainment. Notice the part where it says physical exertion.

What is a sport? (Again)

6 years ago

Probably the CIA case worker who trawls the forums looking for more CP

What is a sport? (Again)

6 years ago

The World Series Of Poker has been playing. The Main Event is over several days, then the final table is in November. If chess is a sport, so is poker. I've played poker both casually and professional for 20 years. I do believe it takes skill, endurance, and intelligence. 

Not sure it's a sport though. 

What is a sport? (Again)

6 years ago

You do a lot of sweating if you're playing chess boxing, so I guess that version is definitely a sport.

What is a sport? (Again)

6 years ago
Some people do a lot of sweating doing... well, nothing. Does walking up stairs count as a sport?

What is a sport? (Again)

6 years ago

Bloody Hell, I can tell that this's a writing site when the members are trying to figure out what constitutes a "sport".

It's a competition where there is an attainable goal which is achieved through some format of a measured process which involved competition and the use of the abilities of the participants.

There. :)
That includes freakin' chess. Somebody should go make a chess storygame now and place "sport" as one of the categories to cement this as site policy. Probably Steve should since he's panzying out of our site competition.

What is a sport? (Again)

6 years ago

Competitive eating isn't a fucking sport, it's a celebration of gluttony.

What is a sport? (Again)

6 years ago

I actually view that as a sport as well. Perchance, my views may be liberal as to the word's definition.

What is a sport? (Again)

6 years ago
is minecraft a sport?

What is a sport? (Again)

6 years ago

I cannot comment on this since I literately have no clue as to what Minecraft really entails beyond a few things (since I've never played and hardly ever seen it played). I'm guessing it does not since there is no measurable way to "win" since it does not have the parameters set by the maker of the game due to the game's open world environment. Thus, if Minecraft is a sport, then life (as in living your actual life and not the game) is a sport.

What is a sport? (Again)

6 years ago

If minecraft is a sport then i'm way more athletic than I thought I was.

What is a sport? (Again)

6 years ago
What an excellent thread full of fascinating discussion.

What is a sport? (Again)

6 years ago
I'd like to state for the record that I did not make this thread it was created by a mod who decided my post started the discussion. the OP was satire that a couple of kids took seriously and started up the discussion again.

What is a sport? (Again)

6 years ago

No.

And don't we already have a thread where this was thoroughly discussed? I'm sure End has it somewhere.

What is a sport? (Again)

6 years ago

Ford linked to the remaining remnants of this old topic further up the thread. The original marmotlord thread was lost forever though.

What is a sport? (Again)

6 years ago
It is a shame. Never got around reading it.

What is a sport? (Again)

6 years ago

So...is he dead or what?

What is a sport? (Again)

6 years ago

He was thought to be, but apparently JJJ found him on Facebook last year and he was still alive and his cancer was in remission.

Could be dead now for all I know.