Non-threaded

Forums » The Lounge » Read Thread

A place to sit back, hang out, and make monkey noises about anything you'd like.

Game of Thrones Season 7

6 years ago

In before Mizal says “OMG Game of Thrones iz dum u guyz!”

Anyway finally got around to seeing the first episode.

Sansa is still annoying as usual and it was funny to see Jon yell at her for being a demoralizing bitch.

Seriously, things are shaky with keeping the northern houses aligned and her great idea is to disagree with Jon’s decisions in front of all the rest of the lords.

Then afterwards she gets pissy with Jon for yelling at her and then within the next couple of sentences she’s suddenly saying what a great leader he is and how everyone respects him.

Well if that’s the case, why the fuck are you wasting time undermining him in front of everyone? You fucking dumb cunt.

Yeah, I still really hate Sansa.

Everything else in the episode was fine.

Game of Thrones Season 7

6 years ago
Sansa doesn't seem to value honour at all, and is torn between caring about Jon and wanting to fuck shit up. At this point I just hope she fucks over Littlefinger somehow because otherwise he'll fuck shit up for the north.

Game of Thrones Season 7

6 years ago
the north everyone. Corrected that for you, this IS the guy who had Joffrey offed and declared chaos is a ladder (to Varys of all people).

Game of Thrones Season 7

6 years ago

If you ever become an actor, don't play a guy who warns people not to go into the restricted section of the library because then you'll be typecast as "the guy who warns people not to go into the restricted section of the library".

Game of Thrones Season 7

6 years ago

Uh, I can't see it until later when I'm finished fucking around with kids, so I'm just trying to avoid getting it spoiled, which right now I'm doing by not reading your post in the slightest.

Edit: The episode was shit, nothing of importance happened besides the dragonglass fact, and they skipped over whatever happened to Mormont. Honestly, besides the dragonglass thing, you could've skipped this entire episode. In a season with less episodes than what we're used to, that the first episode has nothing happening when the first episode of season 6 had a main cast member brought back to life, Brienne saves Sansa and Theon who are revealed to be alive, Dany's ships are burned and destroyed, Dany's told she'll be sent to the city of widows and that entire plot changes, the badass Spanish wheelchair guy and his amazing guard are butchered and the martells shift power, this was absolute shite.

Game of Thrones Season 7

6 years ago

Fuck the sand snakes lol

Game of Thrones Season 7

6 years ago

I was hoping Euron's gift to Cersi was going to be killing the sand skanks and I was glad to see that proved true. (Two of them at least)

I actually laughed the same time Euron did when Theon just jumped overboard instead of fighting. Lol.

Game of Thrones Season 7

6 years ago
I hate Euron mostly because he just feels like a poor plot device. Introduced not too long ago, happens to have the exact counter needed to stop Dany from succeeding (a shit ton of ships), and has said counter for no logical reason as the Iron Islands are shit and shouldn't have the resources to make such a fleet, even if you consider them stealing shit.

This is even worse when you consider Theon and his sister stole a good part of said ships, and they seem to be the second largest fleet in Westeros. So these islands completely dwarfed literally everyone in regards to both number of ships and combat ability, yet they're still poor as fuck. They should be swimming in the gold they plundered and basically own all trade in the seven kingdoms.

Oh. And to top it all off, he apparently might have a magical horn that can control dragons, lol.

Game of Thrones Season 7

6 years ago

Yeah but he kills sand sneks

Game of Thrones Season 7

6 years ago

Well yeah, Doomsday is a pretty overpowered bullshit counter in certain circumstances, but hey, fuck it, I hate Superman, and he kills Superman, if only for a few months. Except there's 4 or 5 Supermans in game of Thrones, and he's already smashed 2 of 'em, so he's even better than Doomsday.

Game of Thrones Season 7

6 years ago
I take issue with that analysis. Doomsday, a singular engineered entity, being OP made sense because in that world individuals like Superman existed (ergo one individual made to counter him could believably be strong even if introduced late). GoT prides itself at having a fairly understandable lore and factional motivations and power bases. Here, the Islanders having the resources/economy/resource-acquisition method to throw 1,000 ships together really throws in major questions in the lore. Couldn't they just have loaned money to the throne if they had that many resources? Assuming a crew of even barebones 30 per ship, that's 30k soldiers, a gigantic number in GoT times, and you mean to tell me NO one had the bright idea of trying to ally with these water-lovers? Wouldn't atleast one faction have tried to make a deal? Here Euron's acting like a weird salesman - 'ere, ave some ships, luv.' It's just unfathomable that such a big player in the field never got any attention till now. I agree with Killa, his existence seems like bad plot development, a last minute hail mary foil thrown in to give Danaerys something to chew on while everyone else's storylines continue relatively unimpeded.

Game of Thrones Season 7

6 years ago

To be fair, a lot of the Iron Islands stuff has never really made sense with how their society works.

While he’s a fairly important character in the books, I agree the main problem with Euron in TV show is not introducing him sooner and instead fucking around in Dorn in season 5.

Instead of taking a big hiatus from the Iron Islands in season 5, they should have introduced him then, and he also could have killed Balon during this time. (Which would have made more sense of having Balon dying before Stannis)

They could have cut to him gathering power every now (Building ships, gaining loyalty, etc) and then after a very short uneasy co-existence, Yara could have stolen “just enough” ships to go sail off to Essos and ally with Dany. (Which was the other problem of her taking the best ships in the first place)

Of course during this time Theon would have still been stuck at Winterfell watching Ramsay ass rape Sansa, but as far as Theon is concerned, they could have had him getting ripped apart by hounds while protecting Sansa during their escape or something. I was sort of done with his character after Ramsay turned him into Reek.

The rest of the story could have roughly gone down the same way. That way it at least wouldn’t have been as jarring and Euron having the whole “Hey Remember the New Guy” syndrome.

I don’t think they said he’s got a horn that controls dragons in the TV show. I know he’s supposed to have one in the books, but I figured they weren’t going to bother in the show. Especially since now they got Kyburn building dragon killing super ballistas.

He still looks and even sounds a bit out of place than the other characters though. It’s like he got transported from a post apocalyptic setting and placed in a fantasy one, but that doesn’t bother me too much since I’m just chalking it up to him having travelled all over the place and probably gone mad, making him not act quite in line with how most act in that world.

Honestly I wasn’t too impressed by Euron when they introduced him in season 6, but the actor seems to have picked up the pace a bit with him so his character as least fun for me to watch now. Killing sand skanks helped a lot.

Game of Thrones Season 7

6 years ago
Your method solves the pacing problems, but not the power base ones. Introducing him and keeping him in the corner of the TV series' eye makes his appearance less of a wham, but that doesn't answer the question of resources. The Iron Isles were a pretty small player in the grandscheme of things, last time they tried to rise up, Ned humbled them enough to hold their only king's only son political hostage and indoctrination target (oops on the latter).

The Islands' creed has been to take, never sow, which makes for great spiky income streams (upward spike when a raid succeeds, downward trend otherwise, like the game Tropico if anyone's played that). Building a grand fleet requires far more resources than a raiding economy can throw forward, and conversely, it's not exactly as if there's a great shortage of land in Westeros (the free folk running their own town the Hound met and saw butchered, for example). Who would willingly live near the Iron Isles' raiding grounds knowing well that raids are a part of life?

Furthermore, where's all the manpower to pull this off coming from? I've never heard of the Iron Isles having a sizable labor force. A raiding economy rarely has funds for creches and other societal investments that would allow large population sizes, and even if there were a large population that was self sufficient, what incentive do they have to band together now? The show definitely never raised them, nor their raiding targets on the coast, being an economic powerhouse at any time. Never did someone in the small council say 'Hey, we got raiders wrecking our coast!' or 'Wood prices are rising because those Islanders are upto something.' Any announcement of those sorts would have made sense, even just a single line to that effect.

For them to be the a force majeure all of a sudden (horn or no horn), in the current season just makes them feel really, really broken. The Iron Isles are like a toddler cousin who was always playing with his toys in a corner for the first 8 hours of daycare, having a fight or two with the kids but generally being unnoticed, then all of a sudden whips out an Uzi and mows down the childcare when it's near closing time, for drama, to keep the new daycare lady busy.

Game of Thrones Season 7

6 years ago

You're right, but maybe the Iron Fleet was mostly splintered? My understanding was that they're all two or three ships under the command of captains. Maybe it never just "clicked" that they had a gigantic fleet, especially considering as the War of the Five Kings was kind of occupying everyone's attention. 

Also, is it possible that wood prices never rose because raids from the Iron Islands were always just accepted as a fact of life? Like the Vikings raiding coastal settlements, it was just considered a "cost of doing business". 

I'm just playing devil's advocate though, it wasn't a well-written episode, as cool as that naval battle was. 

Game of Thrones Season 7

6 years ago
Alright, then what's preventing them from infighting? Assuming they're all separate liege lords and their armies wearing the same shirt for the moment, what's stopping them from say, trying to negotiate individual deals with any faction (including Danaerys)? There would be a very good reason why they never united till now (chronic backstabbing disorder or the like)

Here's my issue with that - I'm fully assuming 1,000 ships is not business as usual. If say the yearly production was even 100, the resources required are far more significant, and to an unprepared economy the costs to acquire those resources are non-linear (as in, you have to physically move further to get the further away trees after the near ones which are expected to be raided are depleted). Again, life does not like spikes, coastal villagers would probably be fine with a raid or two, but an armada tearing them down and stealing all their resources. Raiders are like chicken farmers, you don't kill the hen if you want to keep a steady income of eggs, so you practice 'sustainable raiding' (believe it or not, that's a thing). The analogy is a farmer is fine with one or two of his hens being taken by the fox, but if they want more, the farmer (coastal locals) would fight back. No where is this inferred holocaust mentioned, and from the shots of the isles during the series, I didn't exactly see lush, rich forests abound that they could fulfill their wood needs from the Isles alone.

Game of Thrones Season 7

6 years ago

Eh... it wasn't a well-written end to the episode, but I didn't see many issues with the rest of it.

Game of Thrones Season 7

6 years ago

Put a bit more emphasis on how much they raided during the War of the Five Kings. People tend to live near waters, and its not like people will just move big cities away from all coast near the Iron Islands, crippling trade, for those reasons, especially if raiding was down up until the war. You could also throw in a few bits about them recruiting from the vast slaver forces that would've been forced to flee Dany's lands thanks to their takeover, because realistically it's not unexpected that the pirates and slavers would have some connection in the sale of captives.

But yeah, it popping out of the blue is pretty terible, and really hasn't helped the show. There was a lot of prep-work needed for this to be believable. 

Game of Thrones Season 7

6 years ago
Astute observation on the settlements near water, but those settlements probably built up something of an immune system (hiring mercenaries/knights/having a levy of troops), which should have done something (even if they got crushed). There was an interesting story here which was entirely smuggled past our attention, to the story's detriment.

The point's probably been mined thoroughly now, and yeah, the prep-work was sorely missing on this; I hope it doesn't become a habit as the TV series charts its own path away from the books.

Game of Thrones Season 7

6 years ago

Never thought about the logic in particular, but yeah, you're right, it makes no sense whatsoever. Fair argument.

Game of Thrones Season 7

6 years ago

The Sand Snakes were cool as shit. It's a shame they were killed off by as weak a character as Euron.

Game of Thrones Season 7

6 years ago

They sure sped through the battles at Casterly Rock and High Garden.

Game of Thrones Season 7

6 years ago

They weren't real battles though. Both of them were skeletons garrisons getting rekt by superior forces. 

Game of Thrones Season 7

6 years ago

Hahaha rip to the Spaniards and the Flower People 

Game of Thrones Season 7

6 years ago

Edited because I don't like jail

Game of Thrones Season 7

6 years ago

I'm sure Nmelssx would be all over your Arya Lemonfic.

Game of Thrones Season 7

6 years ago

Glad to see the Dothraki are finally getting to fight. Also nice to see Bronn back in action.

Game of Thrones Season 7

6 years ago

The Lannisters got fucked lol. Those dudes getting lit on fire was so brutal 

Game of Thrones Season 7

6 years ago
The choreography of some of these battle scenes is phenomenal. Too bad the dragon and Dany didn't die though. Would have been hilarious.

Game of Thrones Season 7

6 years ago

Yeah, I knew Dany and Jamie weren’t dying in that battle. The main one who could have died during it was Bronn and I was glad he survived another episode at least.

Apparently there are people who are super pissed that Bronn shot the dragon. They’re acting like Dany’s their waifu or some shit. It’s ridiculous. Lol.

One person that's been pretty disappointing this season is Littlefinger. It's like he's hit a wall and now the guy is just sort of creeping around Winterfell hoping to get a peek under Sansa's skirt.

Game of Thrones Season 7

6 years ago
I feel like Littlefinger is just waiting to lose now. None of his plans since marrying Sansa off have made much sense.

Game of Thrones Season 7

6 years ago

Lol things are really heating up now

I'm glad the Lannisters got their comeuppance after invading highgarden (it's a nice move strategy-wise, but Olenna was my favourite!) Although I personally don't like Dany all that much. I'm hoping that the North will stay independent from her rule, but it doesn't seem very feasible given what's happening with the Walkers.

Game of Thrones Season 7

6 years ago

This one was basically gather all the secondary characters together and send them on a quest. AKA Game of Thrones, the Fellowship episode.

I was wondering when Gendry would finally pop up again.

Game of Thrones Season 7

6 years ago

All of my favourite characters are now in a D&D party. It's awesome

Game of Thrones Season 7

6 years ago
Hahaha, I was trying to count if they had nine when they set out. Who gets the 87 arrows to the chest? Ned's already dead!

Game of Thrones Season 7

6 years ago

Let’s see, Jon, Tormund, Gendry, Jorah, Beric, Thoros, and The Hound

Well 7 of them so a Seven Samurai/Magnificent Seven nod I guess. (Technically 8, but Davos didn't go with them)

If it was a D&D campaign, the party is probably a little fighter heavy, with only Jon (Ranger) and Thoros (Priest) being a bit of variation.

Though if you’re going in with an unbalanced party, you could do worse than having too many fighters (Too many bards for example) and just hope you can survive on sheer brute strength, high armor class and shitloads hit points.

Game of Thrones Season 7

6 years ago
Isn't Davis going too? I must've missed that.

Game of Thrones Season 7

6 years ago
I take it you missed the part where he said "No, I'd just be a liability" and Tormund was like "Yep".

Game of Thrones Season 7

6 years ago

Nah, he even stated he wasn't much of a fighter in the episode at one point. (Rogue class)

The ending shows he's not with the party when they go beyond the wall.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=9kpYgZfpCTQ

Game of Thrones Season 7

6 years ago

I guess Jon isn't a bastard after all.

Game of Thrones Season 7

6 years ago

Who do you guys think will be the one to kill Cersie? Tyrion or Jaime?

Game of Thrones Season 7

6 years ago

Well it's predictable that Jamie is going to kill her, so it would make a nice change if Cersie turned out to be right and it actually was Tyrion to kill her all along.

If we're going with Jamie killing her however, what would make it a little less predictable is if she dies due to pregnancy complications rather than him betraying her.

Game of Thrones Season 7

6 years ago
I doubt the remaining plot will last longer than a couple months, it seems to reason the White Walkers are at the doors of the North, and a WW conquest wouldn't probably take more than a month if they aren't stopped/challenged, ergo I doubt she'll be facing problems due to the pregnancy in the remaining timespan. She could end up killed by John/Danaerys/Someone else as well, or just take the Tommen Stairs down.

Game of Thrones Season 7

6 years ago

They play really fast and loose with the time frame in the series, Gilly's baby for example should be a toddler by now, but it hasn't aged at all, so it's not impossible for them to mess about with accelerating Cersi's pregnancy.

Still, it is of course possible she's just faking that bit.

Game of Thrones Season 7

6 years ago
I'm betting she's not pregnant at all and that it's just a tactic she's using to make sure Jamie is on her side.

Game of Thrones Season 7

6 years ago

I second this. Sounds like something she would do

Game of Thrones Season 7

6 years ago

I don't know if that's true. Despite being a general idiot half the time, she is remarkably intelligent the rest. She'd know that lying about being pregnant to keep Jamie by her side would blow up in about 9 months. On the other hand, intentionally getting pregnant to keep Jamie trapped is exactly the type of thing Cersei would do. She prides herself on being the "smartest person in the room" but doesn't usually think out the consequences of her actions. Just consider when Jamie told Cersei that Olenna killed Joffrey. The look on her face wasn't grief or anger at Olenna. She was pissed that Olenna pulled the wool over her eyes and played on her hatred of Tyrion to manipulate her.

Game of Thrones Season 7

6 years ago

Hardcore fans might think it's too obvious if Jaime does it, but I think casual GOT audience would probably just assume it'll be Tyrion.

A lot of friends I've talked to couldn't even comprehend why Jaime might kill her. Nobody remembers that he's the younger twin...

Game of Thrones Season 7

6 years ago

Episode 6 leaked, going to watch it although it's shit quality. 

Game of Thrones Season 7

6 years ago

It's been out in HD quality for a couple of days now. 

Game of Thrones Season 7

6 years ago

Lol... Weren't the people behind the leak trying to be like,  "we're just a volunteer marketing campaign for HBO (who just also want millions of $ ) - no hard feelings!"

Game of Thrones Season 7

6 years ago

I like how the Night King gave zero fucks about three dragons huffing and puffing all over the place.

Game of Thrones Season 7

6 years ago
I like how the show took their zero fucks policy regarding space and time up to eleven.

Game of Thrones Season 7

6 years ago

Game of Thrones Season 7

6 years ago
The bloody dragons are faster than 747s. Except when projectiles are in the air.

Game of Thrones Season 7

6 years ago

Everyone got a speed spell cast on them this episode. Ravens, dragons and Gendry.

Game of Thrones Season 7

6 years ago

Gendry's legs are fucking muscular from all that rowing, by now

EDIT: Actually, it might make sense. Look at this explanation. https://www.reddit.com/r/gameofthrones/comments/6uzztg/s7e6_gendry_and_the_ravens_isnt_teleportation/

Game of Thrones Season 7

6 years ago

CLEGANEBOWL FUCKING CONFIRMED 

Game of Thrones Season 7

6 years ago

My balls are so fucking blue rn 

Game of Thrones Season 7

6 years ago
This article points out the issues with the seventh, and first to be fully independent of the books, season. It's playing the xylophone with plot points, but not pausing the onslaught for the smaller yet important character moments and supporting events (travel between regions being shown, instead of arguably having the characters teleport as the plot demands).

Game of Thrones Season 7

6 years ago

Game of Thrones Season 7

6 years ago

Haha, it reminded me of you and Steve in an irl conversation. :)

Game of Thrones Season 7

6 years ago

Me going on about my hate of redheads.

Him being a trolling asshole.

Me accusing him of faggotry.

Him going on about some girl he’s currently unsuccessfully trying to get with.

Yeah, sounds about right.

Game of Thrones Season 7

6 years ago

Maybe he's been unsuccessful because the girl knows about his faggotry. Tough life.

Game of Thrones Season 7

6 years ago

Welp.

Ice Dragons.

Knew it was gonna be a thing eventually.

Game of Thrones Season 7

6 years ago
The Telltale Games series had a physical location on the map of areas north of the wall, one major area (that was meant to have been explored in Season 2 of the game) where the protagonists are trying to get to is called The Ice Dragon, so they kinda indirectly foreshadowed it there. Plus, ya know, the whole A Song of Ice and Fire is the real name (Game of Thrones is the media made moniker for its work)

Game of Thrones Season 7

6 years ago
A Game of Thrones isn't a media made name. It's the title of the first book in the series. They just took it from there.

Game of Thrones Season 7

6 years ago
-_- I expected better from you. Yes, a Game of Thrones IS the name of the first book IN the A Song of Ice and Fire series by GRRM. The books are part of the SOIAF continuity, which was converted to 'Game of Thrones' for the televised version. The name of the first book was taken as the name for the entire modern day franchise. The continuities are different, GoT takes liberties with places, events, and outcomes that were not that way in ASOIAF. ASOIAF nerds would consider the GoT fanbase as poseurs, while the GoT fanbase would call the ASOIAF folks cobweb laden old folks, between the fighting, only End wins.

Game of Thrones Season 7

6 years ago
No, you're just pouting because you were factually wrong.

On the second, it's going to be so long until G.R.R.M. actually finishes - if he ever does - the series that a lot of folks who started with the books are just going to accept the ending of the show as a pseudo canon.

Personally, I'm at this point now. I can respect his writing process, but when you say, oh I want to have book six done by March 2016 before HBO surpasses me, and then when you still aren't going to have it done by the end of the following year, there's not much faith to be left in you.

EDIT: And this is really sad because HBO threw out any pretense of telling a coherent story in lieu of hitting the fast forward button.

Game of Thrones Season 7

6 years ago
Not exactly, I wasn't questioning your point, only mentioning that I already knew it, and added the latter part of that as humor. Ah well.

In regards to GRRM, well, it's kind of messy, sure the guy's thoroughly missing his deadlines, but then again that's just kind of the procrastion-fuelled writer he is (speaking from far more experience than I'd like). You can't really change his ways without changing his content, it's just that now a ton of people are eager to read what he's writing, and I'm sure that pressure is doing him no favors.

Yeah, I do not understand HBO at all right here. They could have EASILY stretched the show and gotten more media juice and DVD sales out of it, yet for some reason they chose to reduce the content and to close the seasons. Doesn't make much sense to me to choose that, and then be rushing storylines like mad.

Game of Thrones Season 7

6 years ago

So, that was an ending I guess.

The bit with Theon was dumb and Littlefinger died like a scrub though I hardly expected anything different at this point. That whole subplot with Littlefinger skulking about trying to play the Stark children against each other was pretty much a shaggy dog story.

Jon and Dany finally had hawt nephew on auntie incest sex. I'm sure people are going to be bitching about that one.

And the wall finally came down. About fucking time.

Game of Thrones Season 7

6 years ago
Just continuing the family tradition.

Ha, Cersei got called out twice about not killing a brother.

Sansa still sucks.

Dragon breathes icy hot.

Where the fuck is Ghost?

Game of Thrones Season 7

6 years ago
You forgot to add necrophiliac to the description of JohnxDanaerys, technically speaking