Non-threaded

Forums » Writing Workshop » Read Thread

Find proofreaders here, useful resources, and share opinions and advice on story crafting.

Civil War game ideas

6 years ago

I've started making a game where you can play as the Union or the Confederates during the Battle of Ft. Sumter. Does anyone have any ideas for a realistic, but fictional what-if kind of scenario? All ideas welcome!

(If I like the idea, I may implement it into the game. Your username will pop up on the page where your idea is used.)

Civil War game ideas

6 years ago

Have you considered making the Union soldiers striking an alliance with benevolent Native gods, and the Confederates being armed with a ruthless steampunk mech division? 

Civil War game ideas

6 years ago

And the mechs are powered by the souls of slaves.

Civil War game ideas

6 years ago

oh lawd

Civil War game ideas

6 years ago

10/10. Although I don't intend to use that idea, it still made my day!

Civil War game ideas

6 years ago

http://www.ozy.com/flashback/the-sniper-who-slayed-more-than-100-union-soldiers/64502

He wasn't on the right side of course, but this guy sounded bad ass.

Civil War game ideas

6 years ago

Thanks for the idea. I might use him for a later game if my Fort Sumter game goes well!

Civil War game ideas

6 years ago

Well, I feel I pretty much bagged civil war as an idea by focusing on the real civil war, but I guess you can do this, to.

I feel using the Battle of Fort Sumter isn't the best idea. A battle where no one actually died means there's no risk whatsoever in the story unless the protagonist fucks up the timeline by firing a mortar shell at 90 degrees. Plus, the battle was pretty much impossible for it to go any other way, so there's not a lot of important effect. And even if it did change up a bit, it was relatively unimportant, except as a symbol.

So basically, pick another battle. I'd make a suggestion, but US civil war isn't my thing. Best of luck, anyway, hopefully you find what you're looking for.

Civil War game ideas

6 years ago

I admit your right. It’s definitely not the best part of the civil war to choose from, however, I’m going to try to add some risk into the game by having fictional(what-if) routes included in the game.

Civil War game ideas

6 years ago

Yeah, but there's not a lot of space for risk. If you're union, it's leave cover and be killed by artillery, and for Confederates, I don't even know where there'd be risk. Charge the position you're bombarding? I don't know. Is there a reason you're set on Fort Sumter?