Non-threaded

Forums » Writing Workshop » Read Thread

Find proofreaders here, useful resources, and share opinions and advice on story crafting.

Moral dilemma

2 years ago
Just looking for some opinions here. Do you guys think it would be weird or wrong to use a friend's marital troubles as the basis for conflict in a plot? And I mean it as in lifting many details almost exactly from an ongoing situation, not just "inspired by" or anything of that nature. It's just the more interesting real life conflict I've come across in awhile.

Obviously there's nearly zero chance he'd ever see it here.

Moral dilemma

2 years ago

Do it.

Moral dilemma

2 years ago
From my perspective, if there's no chance of him finding out anything about this, there's no problem with using it.

Moral dilemma

2 years ago
Morality only comes into play here if you've also been the one fucking the wife.

Moral dilemma

2 years ago
Funny story, one time I almost did.

(This was back in high school before they were married of course...)

Moral dilemma

2 years ago
Morality is a human concept and doesn't exist outside of our own minds. It is also relative.

Moral dilemma

2 years ago

I'd guess the fact that you are asking suggests you already have a pretty good sense of the answer.

...but now I want to know the details.

Moral dilemma

2 years ago

Make sure you remember to add the "Based on a true story" tag too.

Moral dilemma

2 years ago

As long as you tell the story in a poignant and respectful manner, I don't think there's a significant problem. But if you're still not sure about it, I think I'd just take this as a case study of sorts and write down what details you think make this a compelling conflict. Maybe look into other, more anonymous marital troubles and how they work, (there's no shortage of that shit on Reddit) until you think you've found the right bits and pieces to make something like this that is suitably your own creation. If your friend is, say, Richard Nixon, you don't have to write a story about watergate. But if the concept interests you, learning more about the politics of the time can help you fabricate your own watergate-adjacent conflict that's fictional enough for you not to offend your friend.

Moral dilemma

2 years ago
Thinking about it more, in order to work as a branching IF I likely will have to change a few things to offer more choices and enhance the absurdity. And include more opportunities for murder.

Moral dilemma

2 years ago

Well yeah with anything fictional even if you base it on something true you have to make things extra dramatic and exciting.

Moral dilemma

2 years ago

You've clearly already made up your mind and are just looking for people to tell you to do it so you don't feel like an asshole. Granted, I would have still said to do it so I guess the lesson is we're all assholes. What's annoying is you trying to hide your assholeishness behind this "guys is doing this wrong or not hehehe I'm a faggot" bullshit. Be a fucking man and do what you want to do instead of making retarded posts so you can feel better about yourself you piece of shit. Fuck you.

Moral dilemma

2 years ago
I like the juxtaposition of this and Sent's comment right next to each other.

Moral dilemma

2 years ago
Since I'm still new and figuring out who's who around here, I became worried for a moment that I was being targeted by someone important.

Then I looked at your profile, and wasn't that a relief.

Moral dilemma

2 years ago

That's a long way to tell me I'm right

Moral dilemma

one year ago
Commended by ISentinelPenguinI on 11/16/2022 10:22:34 AM
I see this guy has done literally nothing in the year I've been entirely absent from this site.

Moral dilemma

one year ago
Why thank you, kind mod.

Moral dilemma

one year ago
Dark was too shy to post, but he said he admired your dedication in digging up the thread,

Moral dilemma

one year ago
That's really sweet but I was just clicking around and this thread was all in my profile, he shouldn't feel too special.

Moral dilemma

2 years ago

You're still at the point where your time and contribution to the site still leaves everyone here as more important than you. Context is important.

Moral dilemma

2 years ago
Factory, the context by the way is that Dark and DerP are both in the Discord and we're used to them.

You'll need to show incredible merit on the site to obtain the status Dark gets for instance just for chatting about video games every day and not doing anything else, now that the Discord is closed off to noobs for the time being.

Moral dilemma

2 years ago
It didn't take me long to figure out who's who in the forum and that most, if not all of them, are more important than me. Meritocracy doesn't leave much to the imagination.

Moral dilemma

2 years ago

Like Mizal's red carpet dress

Moral dilemma

2 years ago
^Literally made out of red carpets.

Moral dilemma

2 years ago
But only the finest red carpets imported directly from Turkey and made of silk.