Non-threaded

Forums » The Lounge » Read Thread

A place to sit back, hang out, and make monkey noises about anything you'd like.

Any tips to memorize stuff faster?

2 years ago
So, my exams are starting today (It's 3 am rn) and two exams after the first one are really tough subjects (hindi and punjabi) I suck at them, so I'm wondering, do you guys have any tips to memorize things faster? It doesn't have to be for a long period of time :)

2 years ago
I write stuff down on paper. People make fun of me because typing is easier, but obsessive handwritten note-taking has always helped me memorize things more than anything else has, even though I usually never look at my notes again.
Disclaimer: I do not and have not learned Hindi, Punjabi, or any other spoken language.

2 years ago

Studying the day of the test is usually my go to. The material stays fresher in my mind that way.

I haven't failed an exam yet doing that.

2 years ago
Got it, I'll keep that in mind with the writing it down bit. And yeah, I'll do the last minute studying with the easy subjects for sure lol :)

2 years ago

I always try to bundle information together if I can help it. Grammar rules get bundled in one section, idioms in another, punctuation goes together, etc. And yes, these are also written down so I can memorize them better. 

2 years ago
I think that would work for me :) I'll use that for all the grammar, thank you

2 years ago

Here are some tips that may help:

1. The effort rule
    The greater the amount of effort you put in remembering/ recording information, the more likely you are to actually remember it. That's why Daji's method of writing down notes probably helps. Sometimes, reading out your notes and quizzing yourself helps too.

2. Mnemonics
    When trying to remember several different pieces of information, compile them and form a sentence/ word/ story with each one. For example, if you need to remember that culture is comprised of behaviours, values and artifacts, remember bva - or blue vultures attack - which will remind you of the three items in the list.

3. Creating stories
    I'm really bad at remembering Mandarin characters, so I usually come up with stories for each character before my spelling tests. If there's a small apostrophe-like dash on top of a horizontal line, I'll start by telling myself, "There's a raindrop on the roof of the house."

4. Association
    Associate each new piece of information with something you can effortlessly recall. For instance, needing to remember a specific word, think of a similar word in English (or whatever your first language is) and connect the punjabi word to it.

5. Know what kind of learner you are
    Finding out if you learn best through visuals, audio, reading/ writing or experience may help in the future, since you'll be able to learn information more effectively.

All the best with your exam! Good luck :)

2 years ago
Thanks :) And English is my first language (sorta, it's a whole story) I'll have to go with the association technique for these exams, I don't have that much time and thank you again

2 years ago

For memorizing Chinese characters it is much better to identify the radicals and components of a character than individual strokes. The more characters you learn the easier it is to practice.

2 years ago
Oh cool