Non-threaded

Forums » The Lounge » Read Thread

A place to sit back, hang out, and make monkey noises about anything you'd like.

IFComp 2022

one year ago
Anyone judging? Any particular favorites out of what you've played so far? I don't have a ton of free time right now, but I figure I can get through some short choice-based entries.

IFComp 2022

one year ago
Lost Coastlines.

We have a thread (which I should probably update again some day). https://chooseyourstory.com/forums/creative-corner/message/29222

IFComp 2022

one year ago
I concur - though beta testing it may have made me a little bit biased, LC is amazingly expansive and replayable.

IFComp 2022

one year ago
But if you want to you can end it in like five minutes with no penalty, so it's still really short. Technically.

IFComp 2022

one year ago
And, on the plus side, you'll most likely end with a positive score from your starting pleasance (unlike some of my longer playthroughs).

IFComp 2022

one year ago
Thanks for the rec! I did notice it while skimming through the descriptions, but likely would have skipped it due to it being a parser game. Which I am bad at, but we'll see!

IFComp 2022

one year ago
https://ifcomp.org/ballot/

Three days left for judging. Those of you who already played Lost Coastlines only have to spend a few minutes with four other games to vote. (There are several that can be clicked through in 15 minutes or less. )

IFComp 2022

one year ago
Commended by mizal on 11/13/2022 1:42:52 PM

On it!

IFComp 2022

one year ago
Commended by TharaApples on 11/13/2022 5:45:15 PM

On it!

IFComp 2022

one year ago
Commended by TharaApples on 11/13/2022 9:23:23 PM
On it!

IFComp 2022

one year ago

Did it!

IFComp 2022

one year ago

Good job!

(I see mizal already gave you your commendation.)

But some remarkable work.

IFComp 2022

one year ago

I'm reading through Admiration Point and I like it because you play a Mormon housewife that has a daughter but is attracted to some guy at work. I'm not sure if it'll let me cuck my husband or not yet. Because I'm trying to choose wisely atm.

IFComp 2022

one year ago

Oh, this is so dumb! You couldn’t fuck the guy!

Anti-Romance.

It has to be the new gayest thing I've ever had the misfortune of encountering.

IFComp 2022

one year ago

Well Mormons generally fail at everything due to their inherent faggotry.

IFComp 2022

one year ago

I liked how the very tempted to cheat Mormon wife protagonist had a very"woe is me!" mindset in the story. Like, there's a scene in which you can choose to pray to love your family more so you don't cheat. But even when you want to cheat the guy like pushes you away. And you can tell the husband like, yeah, "I want to fuck this guy at my job!" and he doesn't even care. 

IFComp 2022

one year ago

Mormon and Depressed

IFComp 2022

one year ago

I will try and get to it in the next couple of days.  Should be able to do something.

IFComp 2022

one year ago

I hope I wasn't too late on voting. Only just got around to it.

IFComp 2022

one year ago
You were too late, the deadline was yesterday. You tried but...you are a disgrace. You have shamed us all and must commit seppuku.

IFComp 2022

one year ago
Just a reminder that you do not have to finish a game to vote on them. DBDN went through some terribly unneeded suffering due to not realizing this.

He reports that most of the games he's tried so far are terrible and "worse than what Paradox would make" so you guys are really missing out.

IFComp 2022

one year ago
Commended by mizal on 11/14/2022 2:41:47 PM

I completed my civic duty and voted.

IFComp 2022

one year ago

According to the rules you have to spend two hours with a game or something.

Must I really?

The one I'm playing right now is not making for a fun two hours.

IFComp 2022

one year ago
No, read it again, that's a maximum of two hours. There is no minimum and it's all on an honor system anyway. You should make a "good faith effort" to experience the game, but it's pretty evident within ten minutes if something sucks or is just not for you, and many of them can be completely finished in that time.

IFComp 2022

one year ago

Nice! I'll save Coastlines for last, then.

It better be good and the best one, or I'll be upset.

IFComp 2022

one year ago
Judges must base their judgment of each game on at MOST the first two hours of play. If a judge is still playing a game at the end of a cumulative two hours of playing time and wishes to continue playing it, the judge must rate the game and not change that rating later before continuing play. Authors may write a game of any length they desire, but should keep this rule in mind when determining the length of their entry.

Emphasis mine. Breathtakingly retarded (and badly phrased) rule here which has been training authors for over 20 years to create bite sized "experiences" instead of real games.

IFComp 2022

one year ago

The explanation is indeed quite unwieldy in a sense.

IFComp 2022

one year ago

There was one with a bunch of drawings like a visual novel. I liked that one. I rated it higher. I never knew the world of interactive fiction was so vast. 

IFComp 2022

one year ago
I want @ISentinelPenguinI to play this one and share his thoughts: https://2690.play.ifcomp.org/content/HOURS.html

IFComp 2022

one year ago

The miserable lack of bushido on display is insulting to not just the entire culture, but the human spirit. Even the motherfuckers of Old Japan who struggled with nihilism never manifested it with cringy strawman "hurr royalty" nonsense. You can tell whoever this "soldier" is is an unbased peasant, because real samurai motherfuckers had an entirely alien relationship to death. The protagonist of this story would have been considered the most snivelling babydick to have ever wasted air. To them, death was actually sort of inconsequential to the meaning and affirmation of having lived. The Hagakure is full of fuckin wildly based statements about how clarity and determination of purpose is the highest virtue, and you can be a fuckin force of nature.

"Even if a samurai’s head were to be suddenly cut off, he should still be able to perform one more action with certainty. With martial valor in his life; if he can make himself to be like a revengeful ghost and show great determination, though his head be cut off, he should not die."

Hold on, it's not actually japanese. There's shit like longswords and generic taverns and magic circles and whatever in this story. Is this badly explained worldbuilding, garbage history, or just a bad allegory? Either way it reads like Gay and Depressed but from the perspective of that one D&D character that the least showered kid made in every party in the 2000s.

Hold on, what the fuck time period is this

I have literally no sense of place, style, or aesthetic, this is like somebody dumped a mixture of taco, teriyaki, and eggnog spices into an oatmeal. Why did you make me read this? I feel like I just somehow read an angsty teenage fart. Reading this gave me pinkeye.

IFComp 2022

one year ago

I get the sense that the protagonist of this game has not meditated on being torn apart by spears and rifles, being thrown into a great fire, committing seppuku at the death of his master, even when his mind is at peace; he definitely does not consider himself to be dead. 

IFComp 2022

one year ago
Yeah sorry for subjecting you to that, as soon as I started reading the most powerful impression I had a wondering what sort of glorious Sent rant it might inspire. And only you could articulate the growing confusion and rage I was feeling as it continued.

I didn't manage to finish it either, a link that you apparently need to progress disappears after you pick a wrong one and go back, and the coding around the whole auction segment before that seems janky.

IFComp 2022

one year ago
I regret the curiosity that led me to click that link. I have gained both Fury and Madness.

IFComp 2022

one year ago
The "15 minutes or less" Twine category is a scary place I'm morbidly compelled to visit every year.

IFComp 2022

one year ago
Commended by mizal on 11/16/2022 12:47:46 PM

Well, I have voted. Now nobody can say that I do not do my part for things other than this site.

IFComp 2022

one year ago
Good work, have some more red letters.

IFComp 2022

one year ago
I usually try to play at least a dozen games, but I've been busy dealing with a bad breakup. I'll try Lost Coastlines while waiting to see the top ten though.

IFComp 2022

one year ago
That was a fast edit.

My condolences on the female troubles, and just message me if you have questions about LC.

And I guess I really should get around to updating my thread...

IFComp 2022

one year ago
I was hoping to play a couple more <15s, (SOME of them have to be good, dammit!) but didn't get the chance yesterday. Will see how scoring shakes out.

Lost Coastlines was delightful, but a little rough around the edges. I'm sure the dev time was SUBSTANTIAL, but I think it still needed more time in the oven. Mizal, you were a playtester, do you know if the dev is still looking for feedback, or if they consider the game done and shipped at this point?

Other than that, the only game I played that I'd actually recommend is Prism. The discovery of which was worth the price of admission, i.e., reading multiple terrible <15s. Prism is filed as 1 hour, although I think my playthrough exceeded that. Highly recommended, regardless.

Did anyone find any other gems in this year's heap of coal?

IFComp 2022

one year ago
Oh he is still definitely interested in feedback. https://intfiction.org/t/lost-coastlines-postmortem-career-postmortem-and-future-plans/58714 Just the format of the game made systematic testing difficult, all that was possible was the shotgun approach of testers playing and playing again and hoping they ran into the broken events. And we got it down to multiple games in a row playing out pretty smoothly, but that had to take priority before typos and the like. Skybreak! came out a couple of years ago and he's still updating and expanding it, I assume as long as it has players LC will be no different, at least as far as the major things.

IFComp 2022

one year ago
Nice. I'll finish my current playthrough before I email him. Thanks.

And I'm sorry the game hasn't been more well-received, it really is charming. Even if I didn't get to pet any of the inhabitants of The City of Cats... despite losing my ship to a bug (well, a bug and some poor strategizing thereafter), my major complaint is all of the wonderful descriptions of the variously strange inhabitants of various locations... or more specifically, that those often evocative and intriguing descriptions have exactly zero bearing on the encounters you get from choosing to VISIT THE LOCALS in any given location.

I realize it would be a fuckton of work to have separate encounter tables for each type of "locals," but as-is, I feel like I'm being baited by delicious aromas of different sweet and savory delights, and then fed oatmeal every time. But possibly I just got unusually interesting "locals" flavor text, and unusually bland encounters... clearly I should play for a few more hours to obtain a larger sample set. ^_^

IFComp 2022

one year ago
Winners are up! Pleased to see that Prism made it into the top ten. I hadn't played anything else IN the top ten, and a lot of it looks interesting, so that's cool.

Sorry to see that Lost Coastlines didn't do better. (Tied for 28th, for those not perusing the list)

Also, apparently there are worse games than HOURS, at 65th out of 70.

IFComp 2022

one year ago

Hours piss me off almost as much as hexagons

XYZZY Awards

one year ago
https://xyzzyawards.org/

If any of you want an easy way to browse some decent games from 2021, the XYZZY awards for the best of that year are open until December 3rd. All of these were nominated by somebody abs there's several categories to assign them too.

If you go through the list, you'll see there's some familiar CYS games in there too, so thanks whoever did that.