Non-threaded

Forums » The Lounge » Read Thread

A place to sit back, hang out, and make monkey noises about anything you'd like.

CoG staff pissing off their base AGAIN

one year ago

Well here’s some CoG fuckery to laugh at. This all got deleted by the mods, but fortunately as we all know with some planning, nothing is ever gone forever on the internet!

So apparently there’s something called the Nebula Game Writing Awards. One of the CoG’s vampire games got nominated and out of all of the Masquerade IFs, it was generally considered the worst of the lot. Even CoGites hated it, so you know it was bad.

The thing that really pissed the CoGites off though was the HG games don’t get nominated despite those usually being better than the official CoG games.

Anyway, people argued and bitched until one author decided to be trolly.

Well that didn't go over well as you might expect so this post got flagged until it was hidden, however the CoG mods saved his post which then pissed off people further since now CoG’s doing the usual thing of favoring posts that agree with their views and deleting opposing ones.

This of course caused more arguments and calling out the mods.

Well as we all know, you can't call out the mods like that, so the mods started fighting back directly. Since Jason was probably busy watching his wife get gangbanged by black dudes, they had the always unfun looking Mary scold everyone.

Of course fighting with mods is like fighting with a DM, they're always going to have more tools at their disposal (Doesn't mean you shouldn't do it for fun anyway though!) so naturally the standard operating CoG procedure was for Mary to temporary chain the thread or something so nobody could post for an hour.

Meanwhile...

And...

LOCKED. Lol

Get the last word and lock the thread, the classic CoG maneuver!

All this tyranny of course has done is increase the rebel yells over there. So much so that they've actually driven away another one of their authors. Someone posted this on the Cog Reddit, but it eventually got deleted on there.

Yep, sounds like the all too common rant of ex-CoG authors tired of CoG's shit.

Well can't say I'm surprised.

one year ago
Another reminder of what a haven this place has always been.

CoG staff pissing their pants AGAIN

one year ago
Too true.

one year ago
That was a very inspiring rant, nice to see someone over there getting mad and actually doing something about it. So many of them hate the company or at least the people representing it but just bitch and wine but then continue giving Jason money.

Once again the follies of letting Jason control the reddit are demonstrated, just like Dan to over the IFDB and tries to come over here making demands too. The pathological need to control all of IF and how eager they are to police and punish their customers for criticizing them even on completely different sites is always going to come off as a pretty insane way to run a business, they're shooting themselves in the foot and driving away customers and contributors out of sheer spite.

"Who is Mary Duffy" is actually a really good question. I've never seen a post of hers that wasn't just like, blatantly rude and contemptuous of the person she's replying to.

I guess it's nice that a shitty company makes shitty people its face though, that's at least a level of honesty. Although I don't think it's an intentional one, they just can't help themselves.

Nebula Awards also don't really mean much when you have the staff of an organized company trying to silence critical discussion and push votes for their favorite that hard. Elden Ring obviously has the bigger player base AND better writing, but I'm not sure how many of them know about the Nebula Awards so results might end up pretty skewed.

one year ago

That last guy who posted in the thread (before Mary literally gave him no way to respond to her final post just to get the last word) is the same guy who just pulled his game, right?

Wonder what's gonna happen there, since that was for sure the deciding incident on them losing a major writer and consequently a lot of money from both that and future games. I want to believe that the no-talent mod lady who just gagged and talked down to an actual published writer will at least get a stern talking-to and revoked mod status while the others backpedal, but I don't think that's goin to be a thing. More likely just doubling down. They all think the same over there, y'know.

CoG is a dying platform. Good news for literally everyone else.

one year ago

Good for James! Shame that he will probably no longer even be allowed to even announce the release of his game on the CoG forums (which is obviously where the majority of dashingdon readers can be found) since he actually stood up to CoG and we all know how much they like that.

What really confuses me though... They actually have a game called "Vampire the Masquerade"? Surely that title must be copyrighted?

one year ago

I think there were like 4 Vampire the Masquerade games that CoG had a deal to make IFs for. Pretty sure Mara play tested one since I think the zombie game author wrote one of them.

one year ago

OH! So they are actually legit "Vampire the Masquerade" games. Fair enough then. ^_^

one year ago

You're referring to "Out for Blood" by Jim Datillo. Yeah, the first two were pretty great, the first one on their website was an award-winner, but the last two have really dropped in quality. Personally, I think it's dumb as hell to shit on authors under the HG label. since they're actually giving CoG more money with 75% of the profits.

one year ago
If it's the third in a series I imagine it must have a pretty good following and it's own discord, he won't have too much trouble I think.

Hope if he has a Patreon he gets a boost over this. Or some one time dinations at least if it's on itch or something.

one year ago
Looked into it hoping to throw him a couple bucks, but it seems he doesn't at least as of now. E: Fucking images, here's a link to the imgur.

one year ago
A .bin file is not an image, hth. (You'll need to delete System32 to convert it.)

one year ago
I did the html image tag with an imgur link. I assume that's because I need to upload it to the site or something to do it that way.

one year ago
Why did I read the read? The amount of ass-kissing from the users and whining faggotry from the mods and staff is fucking sickening. Although I have to congratulate havenstone for being retarded enough to confirm the only reason that game got nominated is because of the author, not because it was good.

one year ago

Jason is stalking that author's tumblr now and making demands.

one year ago

Here's the screenshots

Jason's demands

And the response

one year ago
Last line really sums it up. I wonder what it is that made Jason into such a bitter little goblinoid.

And you guys that use reddit really should join https://www.reddit.com/r/IFHub, the Kingdoms and Empires author and community are trying to make a place for general IF discussion that isn't policed by this angry little man. I really hope it takes off considering that the OTHER general IF place over on IntFiction is controlled in a similar way by Dan Fabulich and his cohorts.

It's brand new but IF discussion of all kinds should be welcome, I know you guys have played a variety of things and not just CYOAs. Just make sure to read the rules.

one year ago
Oh yeah, worth mentioning that that place sucks now so don't bother. They basically immediately let anon stalkers and shitstirrers cow them into submission and turn them against each other. And it doesn't seem CYS posters would be welcome there anyhow after they went and did a blood purge of their own for being too "controversial" for the grease stained finger waggling of fat hysterical NEETs like MeltdownPenguin. (The one with Nazi blood flowing in her veins who you might remember once made a funny thread begging for 2000 euros for a laptop while claiming no lesser computer would allow her to continue writing.)

Doesn't seem to be a whole lot happening there anyway.

one year ago

I like this man. I like him very, very much. ^_^

one year ago
Seems like another author, Rustem Khafizov pulled their romance game and got the same treatment, plus a 1 year ban. Can't be giving away your own writing for free now, that's dangerous subversion.

one year ago

Looked a bit into this one, seems like the guy was banned for "inappropriate comments", which from what I can tell (since I'm late and have only seen a couple deleted ones) included things like: "the moderation team is wrong and the forum should be lighter with it's moderation", "you shouldn't arrest someone just because they called you names", and "self-harm is ultimately a personal choice and you shouldn't blame people who bullied you for it", et cetera.

Which, y'know, not entirely sure about that last one myself, but those former two were causing some major seething within the CoG loyalists.

one year ago

The last one I have mixed feelings about as a former self harmer, BUT I can understand his reasoning on that. We ARE in control of our own actions, but people who self harm are usually suffering from depression or mania that inhibits their usual judgment.

one year ago

Apparently people were bitching about him only getting a temp ban for the suicide stuff, he actually only got perma banned when he openly defied Jason, which sort of pointed out more hypocrisy on CoG's part.

one year ago
Funny thing had happened now, someone "anonymous" went digging creepily deep into one of the IFHub mod's post history, and sent around a copy and pasted message full of screenshots to everyone who was sharing links to it on tumblr or wherever. The same message about "concerns" they had that he was too conservative and what bad things this meant for the future of a place where.... everyone is expected to follow the same basic rules for courtesy while they discuss IF? While not being, y'know, interested enough in IF to discuss it themselves. Just a good Samaritan trying to warn other people away. The screenshots were apparently not even that juicy or damning to begin with, and the one I saw was taken out of context from Stellaris discussion. Just a fail all around.

one year ago
End has been digging around a bit more in the comments to the original author. Seethe and cope, haters!! Oh and apparently CYS got a mention as a place "someone" was afraid the subreddit would turn into because of having a scary conservative on the mod team, lol.

one year ago

I already said if they get any trouble makers on the new subreddit to just send them here anyway.

one year ago
All the CoG refugees that ended up here have sucked so much though. And they're weird. Lux is still the only good one.

one year ago

I guess Gower doesn't really count as a refugee since he's still active on CoG.

one year ago

Gower's a triple agent that forgot what his mission was and is basically just collecting the paycheck from the government without actually doing anything. (And enjoying the gladiator games here in his spare time)

one year ago

All I do is write all day long, and anything beyond that goes right over my head. 

We're clearly long past mere Triple Agent at this point.  I need like a d20 to roll for loyalty each day, like Two-Face but with more options.

one year ago
Sure, some will take longer to make their way here than others

one year ago
Hey, you're that guy.

one year ago
I am the guy. I figured I'd formally join up with the CYStians.

one year ago

one year ago

Yey! It's the guy! ^_^

one year ago
I feel like I've seen your name before, are you the James Shaw guy?

one year ago
Lol

one year ago
No. I'm the guy that called out Mary, made a new subreddit, got run out of my subreddit by Flame and his authors due to the anon and am an anathema to your average CoGite due to my conservative values. Nice to meet you.

one year ago
Sounds entertaining. Welcome! (Assuming you aren't some cringy weirdo that whines about how much he hates himself in every post like that moldy guy.)

one year ago
Nah, Bird is cool.

one year ago

Getting cucked out of your own subreddit is pretty hilarious.

one year ago

Lol

Well in any case Raptor, feel free to explore, no shortage of stuff to look at around here. Some of it might even be IF related. Rex is also lurking about here, mostly in his Songbird thread.

one year ago

There's also stuff to do.

This is a every helping hand helps kind of place. 

one year ago
Not really. The only reason it still exists is that I didn't want to give them the boogeyman they thought I was.