Non-threaded

Forums » The Lounge » Read Thread

A place to sit back, hang out, and make monkey noises about anything you'd like.

Rougelike

one month ago
Hypothetically, assuming the writing was good, how long of a dungeon crawler would you be willing to play before you stopped. Would you draw the line at an hour? A day? A week?

Rougelike

one month ago
Read till I finish it.

If it is some procedural writing it'll get repetitive and boring sooner rather than later, in which case it isn't good, so would stop sooner.

If it is a good story but with a gamified dungeon crawler stapled on, probably ditch it when the crawler grows too bothersome.

If it is a video game, play it till the gameplay stops being interesting.

Why would I draw a line to stop in the first place? Because I'd enjoy the story more if the roguelike elements were cut? Then why not just cut the roguelike elements from the story?

Ultimately you can do a roguelike dungeon crawler and have it be well received, but it is hard. A good story is hard enough to write, if you then add on game elements that you need to translate to text (or create ui for) it ends up being more work that might not actually enhance the experience.

Keep at it and don't give up too soon. Trying to realise your vision is good and you can learn a lot from trying. Then, later, you can try making the dungeon crawler in a more suitable game engine, heh.

(Consider looking at other gamey storygames for inspiration. The top storygames under Puzzle / Games can show you what has worked. Something like Delve is probably a good one to examine.)

Rougelike

one month ago

>Rougelike

Rougelike

one month ago
It's like a sheild for the skin!

Rougelike

one month ago
"assuming the writing is good" is assuming a lot. Given the struggles you've been having with variables as well, thoughts of becoming the new BerkaZerka might be a little ambitious at this point. I'd really suggest focusing on completing and polishing a smaller game to get the fundamentals down.

Rougelike

one month ago
I wasn't really planning on making it my life's work, but I figured I get bored of my main project I would switch to working on that, and I was curious on how long I could make it before I would need to publish it.