Non-threaded

Forums » The Lounge » Read Thread

A place to sit back, hang out, and make monkey noises about anything you'd like.

Robin Hood Morality Test

12 years ago
http://www.talisman.org/quizzes/robin-hood-morality.shtml

I love how it says there are no right or wrong answers, yet a lot of the analysis are incredibly judgmental if you pick a choice that the tester obviously doesn't agree with.

Still, I know some of you like to debate and argue so feel free to explain why your choice is the correct one!

Robin Hood Morality Test

12 years ago

They sure are judgmental.  It's quite lovely.  There are no wrong answers in the sense that you can't "lose", I guess.

In any case, I submitted Maid Marion, Little John, Robin Hood, and The Sheriff in that best/worst order, and claims that I am expected to be a happy, well-rounded person.  Does that mean I won?

Robin Hood Morality Test

12 years ago
I had Little John, Maid Marion, The Sheriff and Robin Hood, so all I got from it was that I wasn't labeled a misogynist.

Robin Hood Morality Test

12 years ago

Do you realy beleive that The man who took sexual advantage of someone for a favor is more moral than a person who was disgusted by her agreement to do so? in no way is robin in the right here, but the sherif is far worse.

Robin Hood Morality Test

12 years ago
The Sheriff didn't point a gun to her head, he merely made the suggestion and she agreed to the choice, then he kept his word after he spent the night with Marion.

Basically the Sheriff is the complete villain in this story, however I can respect the fact that he at least held true to his own warped code of honor whereas Robin Hood comes across as a ungrateful jackass that abused his girlfriend after she attempted to help him out.

Besides it says the Sheriff and Marion only spent the night together, for all we know they played Xbox games all night long. Lol.

Robin Hood Morality Test

12 years ago

Wait, did it say that robin physically abused her? If so then i missed that and your probably correct.

Robin Hood Morality Test

12 years ago

it said abused. he could have voiced his dissaprovement harshly or wrote a harshly worded email.

Robin Hood Morality Test

12 years ago
"Marion confessed the truth, and was bewildered when Robin abused her, called her a slut and said that he never wanted to see her again"

I guess it's open to interpretation, but to me the addition of " abused her" implies that he probably slapped her around a bit as well as calling her a slut, rather than just calling her a slut.

Robin Hood Morality Test

12 years ago

In this scenario i suppose i would flip the sheriff and robin hood. hmmm...

Robin Hood Morality Test

12 years ago

Thats my first impression as well, but I can admit it doesn't specifically name physical abuse, so he could have abused her by calling her a slut or whatever. Also, did they say slut in ye olden times? I don't think this story is very accurate lol.

Robin Hood Morality Test

12 years ago

Its obviouse what order the writer beleives is correct if read them all.

Robin Hood Morality Test

12 years ago

Interpretation

You are fairly broadminded romantic and reasonably contented. You value kindness greatly and try to live by your ideals. You do not conceal from yourself, or from others, your strong need for security, which may be either emotional or material.

Men: Perhaps you tend to idealize women and credit them with virtues they don't possess.

Lol, I love how I'm broadminded untill it finds I'm a man, then I "idealize women". It was fairly entertaining, but I'm not so sure on the survey's accuracy. at any rate i chose Little Jon, Maid Marion, Robin Hood, Sheriff.

Robin Hood Morality Test

12 years ago

Thats the order i chose as well.

Robin Hood Morality Test

12 years ago

I put robin last. He shouldn't have done that to his girl like a few people have said before.

Robin Hood Morality Test

12 years ago

I agree

Robin Hood Morality Test

12 years ago

true, but I rate using a woman sexually worse. It can be very traumatic.

Robin Hood Morality Test

12 years ago

I was thinking: He gave her a choice...

Which now that I think about it... Robin had a reason to get upset with her for agreeing... Still he definately should not have done what he did...

Okay now i'm having second thoughts

Robin Hood Morality Test

12 years ago

Of course he shouldn't have from my point of view, I mean she did it to help him out, but the nasty fact of the matter is the Sheriff gave her teh choice of having her man rot in jail or becoming a whore. She exchanged sexual favors for a form of reward, so I would call that becoming a whore.

Robin Hood Morality Test

12 years ago

I was going to say Robin is the one who landed himself in jail, but it was for 'good' reasons, and the sheriff is the one who caught him. But then he was just doing his job...

I will ponder this until my brain hurts.

Robin Hood Morality Test

12 years ago

The sheriff is the bad guy. Even though he was just doing his job, he released the convict to get laid, which means he's corrupt.

Robin Hood Morality Test

12 years ago

True, I just don't like guys who abuse their 'girlfriends' (I guess i must've let my feelings get in the way of my judgement)

Robin Hood Morality Test

12 years ago

Actually, now that I go back I might have actually chosen Robin as worse than Sheriff. Might.

Robin Hood Morality Test

12 years ago

I picked Little John first. Obviously did the right thing by caring for somebody in distress.

Second, I put Maid Marion. I absolutely hate women who cheat, but in this case she did it for all the right reasons (to free Robin).

Third, I picked the Sheriff. He was doing his job by imprisoning Robin, and though he is corrupt he kept to his word.

Lastly I picked Robin, who was ungrateful for her role in his release. Even though I understand the anger he felt, violence/abuse doesn't solve anything.

I considered my answer carefully before putting it in. At first I wanted to put Maid Marion last, but I considered the circumstances and changed my mind.

Robin Hood Morality Test

12 years ago
So there's two axes here: "Honesty" and "Morality".

ROBIN
Robin doesn't tell a single lie or untruth throughout the whole thing, so I don't think he can lose any points on the honesty axis. I don't think it's moral to abuse Marrion after so he loses points there.

THE SHERRIF
The Sherrif may or may not have done anything morally wrong depending on your views on the sex trade, this is a gray area, I don't think there's any significantly terrible moral action on his part in that way. However, he's definitely extraordinarily dishonest. His job as the sheriff is to solve the crime problems and he's being dishonest to the people by releasing Robin and John. So he may or may not lose points in the morality axis but he definitely loses points in the honesty axis.

MAID MARION
Marion doesn't do anything morally wrong, in my opinion. She did what she needed to do to free her love and she hurt no one in the process. She's also completely honest when she tells Robin exactly what happened. It's not immoral to ride off with Little John after she got abused by Robin. 100% in both axes.

LITTLE JOHN
Little John isn't dishonest at any point so he loses nothing there. Morally, it's a little gray, riding off with your best friend's wife, but I don't think he loses anything there either. Still, there's a little gray area.

MARION (Perfect/Perfect) - JOHN (Perfect/Shady) - Robin (Perfect/Failed) - Sheriff (Failed/Shady)

So, I'd go with Marion/John/Robin/Sheriff.

Robin Hood Morality Test

12 years ago
John Marion Sheriff Robin

Okay first of all, the test is a little biased in making it Robin Hood who's in jail. We automatically assume he didn't do anything morally wrong to be imprisoned for.

Anyway,

John didn't do anything wrong. He didn't take his friend's girl until after Robin rejected Marion.

Marion didn't do anything wrong. She did what she had to to save the people she loved. She ranks below John to me because she shouldn't have told Robin what happened. I don't believe the test-giver when he says she was totally surprised at how Robin acted. ( I know the test says most moral/most honest. I say sometimes lying is morally justified.)

Sheriff next. Are we supposed to be coming into this with the presupposition that he had no real reason to imprison Robin and Little John? I like your point, 3j, about his responsibility to the people, but in that case it's not applicable. Anyway, now that I think about it, is Marion morally culpable for the release of criminals? She knew what she was probably going to have to do when she went to the Sheriff.

Clearly we are meant not to sympathize with Robin in the slightest. Crap, now that I'm typing, I kinda do see Rob's point. He didn't ask his girl to whore herself out for him. He probably had an escape plan ready, I mean he always does in all the other stories. How do we know Robin hasn't been suspecting Little John and Marion of sneaking around behind his back all this time?

Seriously, if you were in jail, and your spouse bailed you out, and you said "where'd you get the money for bail?" and they told you they had sex for money with a guy you know, would you be really happy about it?

anyway, my ranking opinion doesn't change.
I do think the test giver seems to be biased toward certain answers.

Robin Hood Morality Test

12 years ago
Robin
Sheriff
Marion
Little John

Robin didn't do shit wrong, here he is fighting the good fight for the unwashed masses and not only does he have to worry about getting wacked by Johnny Law, but he's got an unfaithful bitch that back stabs him by sleeping with his arch fucking enemy! How the hell is he supposed to react? Not to mention his supposed best friend runs off with the whore afterwards? No, it's clear Robin is the damn victim here.

The Sheriff is just doing his damn job. He's probably got the king or prince or whatever fat ass royals breathing down his neck about capturing political dissidents and not even getting the proper equipment and manpower to do so, because everyone else is being sent on some damn fool holy crusade to chop up some fucking muslims. Hell, the sheriff probably doesn't even give a shit what Robin is doing and probably even agrees with it on some level since its not like being a medieval cop pays all that well to classify as "upper class" and its a thankless job what with the dirty peasants calling him a jackboot fascist every chance they get. He's overworked and doesn't get the chance to meet many women normally, so he saw a chance and he took it, hardly makes him a bad guy. He didn't create the situation he's in, he's just dealing with it.

Marion is obviously a dishonest slut if she's willing to go through with illegally bribe a horny cop through sex. Really, he suggests that, and she couldn't have come up with another arrangement? She could've at least offered a monetary bribe instead or left and got the rest of Robin's gang to bust him out or knitted a disguise, or well like ANYTHING that didn't involve spreading her goddamn legs! The only reason why she probably told Robin at all is because she knew damn well the Sheriff was going to brag to Robin about it when he released him. Then after Robin rightfully disciplines her, she goes and runs off with Little John! She really is stupid, if she fell for Little John's "nice guy" routine. Either that or she's just a manipulative whore that is just latching on to Little John because he's desperate and he'll protect her until she can find some other sucker to leap to.

Finally we have Little John who is obviously the lowest of the bunch here. He was Robin's best buddy and he totally broke the BRO CODE by being a complete weasel because he's too pathetic to get any honest action himself and he has sneak and scheme to get Robin's sloppy seconds (or in this case the Sheriff's). He has no honor and probably has been jerking it to images of Marion since Robin got with her, but was too much of a pussy to at least confront Robin about it like a man. He's not a "nice guy" he's a predator that's preying upon a woman of questionable intelligence in a fragile emotional state due to verbal and physical abuse. He probably doesn't even "love" Marion, he just wants to hit it and after he's done that a few times, he'll probably get a big ego and dump her only to realize he fucked up because that was probably the best he was ever going to do. Of course that's assuming he doesn't get pussy whipped, and Marion eventually leaves his sneaky ass first when she finds someone better since she's hardly a beacon of fidelity herself.

Nah, just trollin', I still have it Little John, Marion, Sheriff, and Robin.

Robin Hood Morality Test

12 years ago
Little John

The sheriff.

Robin

Marion.

Robin Hood Morality Test

12 years ago

I remember bo saying that using a woman sexually can be very traumatizing, and yet...she agreed to it and was not 'bewildered' and those words specifically, yet she was when Robin abused her. In a sense, the abuse was trauma, the sex, not so much. Maybe even pleasurable, in a sense. So, is the sheriff really that wrong? I haven't read about Robin Hood or did the test, but how can you compare some guy from the looks of it to a sheriff who might or might not have kids and a wife that left him? Robin Hood was praised as EndMaster said, and what does the sheriff get in return for feeding his family? Probably talks of Robin Hood on the dinner table since being like EndMaster said, being a sheriff probably doesn't pay that much. And think about how miserable his kids must be when the whole town cries your dad out as the fascist?

Robin Hood, I feel is like the presentation of every twenty year old that feels that they're invincible and the world is just an oyster he can pluck because of his selfish need for attention. Think about why the upper class today donate to charity if not to get praises and show off to his peers? Same can be applied to Robin Hood, he can help the small people, but who is he helping besides those around him who praises him? Would he help third world countries even if they never meet, write letters, or even know of each other's existence just simply so to ease a feeling of sympathy for the woes of the masses? Not likely.

And as for Marion, how can I say this..? Well, Marion could have thought of different plans, but every one of those probably involve the lives of others and have the risk of them using their lives as well. So...lets say you're female, and your love is probably going to be executed soon, you don't want to risk little john or another person losing their life to rescue Robin, and all of a sudden, the sheriff offers sex, what would you do? In this case, I think a life would be more important than say, Robin's possession of a property called Marion. Which in this case is, Robin didn't want another guy playing with his "property" and lashed out on Marion instead. Plus, if Robin had an escape plan as one of you mentioned, wouldn't you tell your love or signal them so they don't have to worry? Obviously, Robin had no plans.

From what you guys told me of little john, I can say this much: how often did you become friends with a female you really like even if she had a boyfriend? I don't know about you, but I have done it once or twice, just waiting for her to be "free" again. I can't really blame him for it, I mean, it isn't like he had an affair with Marion with she was with Robin, right? Or did he? I don't know that much about little john.

Robin Hood Morality Test

12 years ago

Hmm, hard to rank them based on these two things, I think. haha

Marion: She loves Hood, so she asks the Sheriff to let 'em go.  After being asked to sleep with him in exchange for her love's release, she agreed (I'll assume reluctantly).  She ultimately tells Hood how they were released, but after being abused by her love and told he never wanted to see her again, she ran into the arms of another man... So, while her first act wasn't entirely "moral," you can say it was maybe justified.  She even went on to confess to Hood, after being asked, which means that she's at least honest about it.  And after being abused, you can maybe see why her running off with another man might also be justified.  Though, her "honesty," if that's the proper word, may also seem to come into question because of it.

Robin Hood: After asking Marion how she had the Sheriff release them (this was a demand), becomes enraged.  He proceeds to verbally, and perhaps otherwise, abuse her (I'll assume with clouded judgement due to shock)... So, while his actions against Marion after his release may not have appeared moral, they seemed to be entirely honest.  The event doesn't explicitly state that he physically abused her, so giving him the benefit of the doubt, I'll say he was pissed about it and yelled at her.  Though, it seems he took it pretty far.

The Sheriff:  He imprison's Hood, and why shouldn't he, it's kinda his job.  He then agrees to release them under the condition that Marion sleeps with him, and then does so after his night with her...  Seems like a clear case of immorality, in regards to his condition.  And also a lack of honesty in regards to his position as Sheriff.  Although, he does release the two as promised in the end.

Little John:  After witnessing his best friend Robin Hood abuse Marion, he makes a move.  This could be either because he sees her in a vulnerable position and just wants to make a move before Hood calms down, or because he truely digs her and can't stand the way Hood's treating her.  Either way, clear violation of the bro code :p ... Could go either way.  I'll give this guy the benefit of the doubt, too, and say that he's just a guy in love with his buddy's chick.  Morality and honesty comes into question in his relationship with Hood, 'cause he's kinda going behind his back.  Although, he accepts her even though she slept with the Sheriff, which was something Hood couldn't do (or, he's just down with the slutty chicks, haha). Still, though, if I'm looking at the best case, he's almost entirely honest and is moral in the sense that he's taking her away from Hood's abusive nature.

So, what trumps what?  Is some morality better than some honesty?  Or all moral and no honesty worse than some moral and totally honesty?  Really hard to say...

Marion first, 'cause she seems to just be going with the flow.  Did what she had to do to get the guys outta there, and she's probably not proud of it.  Then, after confessing, she takes of with Hood's best friend, but he is promising lifelong devotion, which we can only assume is true.  Then Little John.  Could be first, could be last, depending on how you frame 'em.  While dishonest to Hood, he's honest about his love for Marion and accepts her regardless of the night before.  Hood next, because he probably acted out of rage.  He obviously was pissed and overreacted, abusing her wasn't cool, but still entirely honest, at least about his pain.  And last, the Sheriff.  Totally immoral doing Hood like that and for asking Marion to sleep with him.  On top of that, he's a shitty sheriff for letting two criminals out of his dungeon, haha, even though he was only doing as he promised.

Marion > Little John > Robin Hood > Sheriff; get's me:

Interpretation

We would expect you to be a happy, well-balanced person who likes people and is liked by others. You question whether many conventional views on morality are valid under all circumstances.

Men: Do we detect a sense of chivalry and idealism under the sophistication?

Huzzah. haha  I can dig it. :p

Robin Hood Morality Test

12 years ago

This "psychologist" really annoys me with his/her judgements of your moral character. He/she's clearly sexist.

Robin Hood Morality Test

12 years ago
You are conventional, unimaginative, and something of a prude. It would be surprising if your love life was a roaring success.

Men: You have an old-world authoritarian attitude. One thing is sure: you have some sorry illusions about women.

That was my annalist and if you ask me. This is completely wrong.

Robin Hood Morality Test

12 years ago

Haha, that's kinda hilarious though.  I agree, it's sexist BS, but still kinda funny

Robin Hood Morality Test

12 years ago
Hahaha, psychologist: "Nice choices, retard. Basically, you suck and you'll never have sex."

Robin Hood Morality Test

12 years ago

Hahah, whaaat!  Really?

Robin Hood Morality Test

12 years ago
Bahahahahhahahaha no, paraphrasing.

Robin Hood Morality Test

12 years ago

Hahah, okay.  I was like "what the hell did he put?"

Robin Hood Morality Test

12 years ago

I know there's a lot of talk about the Psychologist being sexist on here, so I decided to go back and set all of my choices to exactly the same things I did before, only this time I said that I was a woman to see what reaction I would get. Basically, when I'm a man, I worship women and think they are a lot better than they really are, but when I'm a woman, I think men suck because I want too much, and so I'm gonna be lonely for the rest of my life. Has anyone else tried this tactic? Maybe the Psychologist isn't so much sexist rather than just an ass.

You are fairly broadminded romantic and reasonably contented. You value kindness greatly and try to live by your ideals. You do not conceal from yourself, or from others, your strong need for security, which may be either emotional or material.

Women: Your experiences of men have not all been happy, perhaps because you hope for a little too much?

Robin Hood Morality Test

12 years ago
I'm surprised that so many people put Little John before Marion in this case. Marion did cheat on her love, but for -very- good reasons. John stole his best friend's girl! That to me is very immoral. Far more immoral than giving up your dignity to save the person you love.

Robin Hood Morality Test

12 years ago

The way I saw it, Little John was the only one still there for Marion after Robin Hood abused her. Little John still promised to love her even though she had nothing left to give him.

Robin Hood Morality Test

12 years ago

Marion did cheat on Robin, but for good reasons. John also "stole his best friend's girl", but he did it to keep her from being abused, which for all we know could have been very brutal. So, on a morality scale, I ranked John pretty high on that one.

Here's a less judgmental test.

12 years ago
A woman marries a very possessive Baron. He's so possessive, that he doesn't even want her leaving the castle when he's out. He says if he comes back and ever finds her missing, he'll track her down and punish her severely. The woman however doesn't listen to the Baron, and she's got a lover on the side, but in order to see him she of course has to leave the castle. She's really careful though and the Baron never finds out.

So one day the Baron leaves again, the woman sneaks out and goes to see her lover as usual. On her way home this time though, there's a mad man on the bridge holding a knife. He tells her that if she tries to cross the bridge he'll kill her. Unfortunately its the only quick path to get back the castle and she's got to get back now before the Baron comes home.

So she returns to her lover and asks him for help. He tells her that he won't help her because he's they just have a physical relationship and he's already risking his life just by being with her. If he's seen with her, then he's bound to be killed.

The woman also has a friend that lives over this river so she goes to seek her out for help. But her best friend also says that she won't help and that if she had listened to her husband in the first place she wouldn't be in the situation she is now.

Running out of options, she tries to find another way to cross. She runs into a ferryman who says he can take her over for 5 gold pieces. The woman doesn't have any money, but says she can pay him after she crosses. He wants payment in advance though because too many people have ripped him off in the past and refuses to take her across.

After this last failure, the woman decides to try to run past the mad man. She fails and he kills her.

NOW

In descending order, who is MOST responsible for the woman's death? Your candidates are The Baron, The Ferryman, The Friend, The Lover, The Madman, The Woman

12 years ago
The Madman

12 years ago

The madman, the woman, the lover, the friend and neither the ferryman nor the baron knew that their actions in this could even remotely result in anyone's death (although the baron deserved being cheated on, but that is not the issue here), so I consider them to be equally innocent. Unless the woman told the ferryman that if he wouldn't ferry her across, she would die, but then again, if I was in that position, I probably wouldn't consider it to be very credible. Also, I assumed she explained the entire situation to her friend, and it was obvious that her lover knew what the situation was, so yeah, assuming all the things I just said are true, the row is as I described above.

12 years ago

The Woman, The Madman, The Lover, The Friend, The Ferryman, The Baron

Funny- the reverse order of how it was put up there. Ultimately, it was between the Woman and the Madmad. It was the woman's fault for disobeying The Baron and not listening when the Madman said he was going to kill her. The Madman is second guilty because he actually killed her. Then again, in court, you might be able to say that's premeditated murder, but I still think it's mostly the Woman's fault.

12 years ago
I still say that the madman is the ONLY one at fault. Everyone else has 0 blame. The madman killed her, he's responsible for her death, that's it. No one else is, even a little.

12 years ago

I have to agree, the other's may be somewhat responsible to how they acted to the situation the madman gave them, but it was the madman that made the situation.

12 years ago

I don't know. I still blame both the madman and the woman. She knew that if she was going to cross the bridge, she was going to die. It's almost suicidal. It's like she looked at the beartrap and then deliberately decided to step in it.

12 years ago

Yes, but she took the chance of dodging the "beartrap". She knew the madman would try to kill her, but of course, she would try to endure that he wouldn't succeed. I agree that the woman is somewhat to blame, because as you said, she could have made a decision that resulted in her not crossing the madman's path, but if it hadn't been for the madman, she wouldn't have had to make the decision in the first place, therefore, it is mostly his fault.

12 years ago

Ensure*

12 years ago

Yet also, if the woman didn't have a lover on the side, she wouldn't have been killed by the madman.

12 years ago

True, but when she made that decision, the madman wasn't considered. Of course he wasn't. When someone decides to go outside and gets killed by a psycho, they can't be blamed for not assuming there's a psycho he/she'll run into. We can all agree that the woman's decision was wrong, but whether she should have cheated on the baron isn't the issue, it is who's fault her death is. The point being, she couldn't possibly have knows that the madman would be there when she started going out with her lover. Besides, the madman sounds mad on a level that he would have killed anyone going past him, whether it was her or not. lets say someone was out for a stroll and crossed the bridge, causing him to get killed by the same madman. is that person to blame because he decided to go out for a walk?

12 years ago

If he was warned that the madman was going to kill him like the woman was, I don't believe he would be completely faultless.

12 years ago

I mean he's not to blame because he decided to take a walk. You said that the woman was to blame because she was having a lover, my point was that she didn't know she would meet the madman any more than the guy taking a stroll. And as for the fact that she decided to cross the street anyway...well...I covered that in my final comment. She is somewhat to blame, but not nearly as much as the madman, as he is the reason she had to make her decision in the first place.

12 years ago

I agreed with everything... up until...

She is also the reason she had to make the decision, but for the sake of the fact that I'd rather not argue until the sun rises, in, say, a court, the madman would easily be the one blamed for the murder. What his sentence would be is another question. But, then again, if you look at everything, perhaps the madman could not get so much blame- which is my point. He wasn't some random guy; he was a madman. Why stress the mad if not for a reason? I bring back into perspective the fact that he may not have had control over his actions, but, the fact is, we just don't know.

12 years ago

Even though he isn't fully in control of his actions, he is more to blame than her (at least for the decision to murder anyone trying to cross the bridge), and as I said, if it hadn't been for him, she would never have had to make that choice in the first place. Think of it as a tree that branches into several different branches, and each branch does the same. Now lets say that the branch represents everything anyone involved could have done in the situation, and the branch that ends with the madman killing her is of course how the event ends up. All the branches are decision people would have had to make (such as everyone turning her down when she comes for help) would never have occurred if the tree itself (which represents the madman wanting to kill everyone who try to cross the bridge) was a different course of action.

12 years ago

Descending as in the one who is the most guilty goes first? In that case

Baron

Woman

Madman

Lover (which turned out to be just a booty call)

Friend

Ferryman

Reasons:

Baron: The Baron locked away his wife in the first place.  Love for your wife I can understand, but locking her up in order to ensure her loyalty is bound to end in disaster. Basically, if he treated his wife a little better, this whole escapade wouldn't have happened.

Woman: Although she was within her rights to leave (although she did marry the dude in the first place) she knew it was risky to leave the castle. She might not have known that risk was a knife weilding maniac, but the fact remains that she could have stayed within the walls.

Madman: I know the madman was crazy, and so probably either didn't know what he was doing or was too insane to care, but the test was who is the most responsible for the Woman's death, so the guy who wields the murder weapon is pretty highly up there.

Lover: Basically, he was a dick. Assuming the lover was on the side, and the woman had to come and go quickly, we can come to the conclusion that she had to go to a nearby village to get her lovin'. If the village is nearby a castle, chances are the residents know who the owner is. Especially if the owner is a high ranking official like the Baron. They would also know his tendencies and the identity of his spouse. Knowing these things, the Lover still did things we can only imply with the Baron's wife. Although he did have the right to save his own skin (and by doing this I think we can assume he didn't truly love her), but in doing so he ranks himself in the middle of this list.

Friend: Didn't really see many reasons to fault her, honestly. Maybe I'm just missing something, but even though loyalty to your friends is important, it doesn't mean you need to go and get yourself killed so your friend won't get slapped around.

Ferryman: I didn't see anything he did wrong at all. He had a toll to ferry her across, and seeing as he was scammed before, he demanded cash up front, end of story.

Those are who I believe are the most responsible for the woman's death. Feel free to debate it, but I doubt you will sway my mind on this.

12 years ago

I have to say that the only thing I feel wrong with that is the baron. Yes, he was a complete asshole and shouldn't have treated his wife the way he did, HOWEVER, I do not see him being to blame for her dying, which is what this is about, isn't it? He was one of the few who didn't even know about the madman (and if he did, that wasn't mentioned), and although he got what was coming to him when his wife cheated on him and he might have been able to forsee that, I don't see any way he could have forseen her dying at the hands of the madman.

12 years ago

None of them forsaw the madman, and only a few knew. But still when Endmaster asks who's to blame, I'm going to go with who started the whole situation in the first place. Hypothetical situation: the Chinese invade America, and kick our asses so badly, the last American stronghold is DC. Seeing this, the current President goes a little crazy and presses the big red button. Although the blame for the Apocalyptic wasteland would fall upon the President, it would also fall upon the Chinese for starting the whole thing.

12 years ago

Of course I might be a little biased because I am American, but I would blame both.

12 years ago

Sure, but the Chinese wouldn't be able to forsee it's effects, if they knew it was there, they might be able to assume that if they push too hard, they might force them to use it...whatever it is. However, the one that makes the actual decision to do it is the President. Yes, no one forsaw the madman, and the woman cannot be blamed for going to see her lover that night (well, she can be blamed for cheating on him, but not on the subject at hand), because no one can expect her to be able to predict the future. However, she did make the decision to try to cross the bridge after being warned by the madman, and that is why I placed her second. She should have known better, but if there hadn't been any madman, there wouldn't have been any trouble. Additionally, the baron can't forsee the future, anymore than his wife can. He seems to be a total douche, and you're right, the whole relationship was bound to end with a catastrophe, but the madman wasn't a part of the relationship, and that catastrophe was a completely random unforseeable event. When I said the baron was one of the few that was oblivious to the madman's existance, I mean during the event, the woman knew about him, the lover knew about him, I assume the friend did and I don't know about the ferryman.

12 years ago

My jest is this: why was the ferrymen the last option? Should it have been the first? I mean, if you're the wife of a baron, borrowing 5 gold pieces really isn't that hard, is it? Another thing, why didn't she carry any gold at all in the first place, because she didn't trust her lover? And if she didn't, why would she RISK her life to sleep with him?

From my perspective, yes, the madman did kill her, but if say the baron hired the madman or if he found out and killed her- would that mean the baron was at fault this time? The judgment of the poor girl is ridiculous. If you're going to sleep with some random person, sleep with a person in the castle. Not to mention, if she was locked up, how did she escape in the first place, especially if the baron probably had told the guards to watch her or not let her out. Did she sleep with them too? And yes, she probably can order them to let her out, but the guards would have probably told the baron. How slutty is she? I mean, I doubt the baron always kept the same guard to watch her. So, did she sleep with a lot of different guards in order to escape? Her character definitely is in question, even her so-called friends abandoned her.  Not to mention, even if she didn't have 5 gold, she probably could have bought the ride with her dress, shoes, or even sex, rofl. I'm just kidding, but honestly, come on!

Considering her personality, she is in the likelihood of losing her life even if she had married someone else. Her attributes are so bad that if she didn't have a possessive husband, she still have slept with someone else, and inadvertently meant being found out sooner or later. And if found out by a farmer for example, he would kill her or physically abuse her. If she was married to a duke or something, the duke would try to salvage the humiliation from the ongoing rumor by having her assassinated.

That being so, here is my order:

Woman

Baron

Madman

Friend

Ferryman

(I specifically listed baron ahead of madman because she still would have died if the baron found out- if we consider how obsessive he is. Not to mention, any person *that* obsessive would probably be paranoid as well. He would have found out eventually.)

(The friend isn't that really at fault except that of being a bad friend, if we can even consider her as a friend.)

12 years ago
Presumably she didn't run into the ferryman until last because she never thought of trying to cross the river another way.

There is another version of the question which involves her finding the Ferryman after going to her lover. When he demands money, THEN she goes to her friend to borrow the money, but she refuses to help for the usual reasons (Can't spare the gold, etc) and then the woman gets killed trying to cross the bridge.

As to the other stuff:

The Baron's guards just suck all the way around, after all they're letting madmen run about the royal bridges. So they're either so incompetent that they're oblivious to her escapes, or they just don't give a shit because they think the Baron is a dick that doesn't pay them enough. Either way they don't rank in the story.

The Ferryman might've been resistant to her sexual charms, because he was gay or he was faithful to his own wife and really needed the money to feed his family.

Robin Hood Morality Test

12 years ago
I am so blown away by the fact that there is a discussion going on about this right now.

So there's a sniper and he kills a little girl crossing a street to go get bread. If the baker had relocated to a spot closer to her house and she hadn't had to cross the street to get to him, she'd still be alive. Rank the baker, the girl and the sniper in order of who is most responsible for her death.

Robin Hood Morality Test

12 years ago
This is a war torn neighbourhood and there are snipers out. Maybe Sarajevo back after their olympics.

Robin Hood Morality Test

12 years ago

Parents

Sniper

Girl

Baker

Robin Hood Morality Test

12 years ago

I agree the parents should be a factor. Sniper, Parents. I don't think the little girl or the baker are at fault here. The sniper is at the top of the list for killing the little girl for no good reason.

Robin Hood Morality Test

12 years ago
You guys are completely missing the point. Even if the parents put her smack dab in the middle of a zone where there are known to be snipers, it's the snipers that are killing the girl, not the parents. Even if the parents should have known better and not sent her there, they aren't killing her. Only the sniper is killing the girl, nobody else.

In the first example, only the madman kills the woman. Nobody else.

Robin Hood Morality Test

12 years ago
Actually, in a court of law, the parents would get charged with at least criminal negligence and be put in jail as well for killing their child if they -knew- she'd be killed out there.

Robin Hood Morality Test

12 years ago

I honestly think this is pretty ridiculous, but I'll give my ranking.

Sniper

Banker/girl (as in a tie for zero)

I saw 3J post about how the sniper randomly killing a girl placed in the middle of a wartorn neighborhood is the same as a madman killing the woman who has a possessive husband and horrible friends. Seriously 3J, you're saying a random scenario like that is the same as a murder case with pre-existing consequences? Obviously the consequences of the first story were what is important, not the fact that the woman was murdered in the middle of the bridge (seriously, you would think that a baron as possessive as her husband would at least gaurd his territory a little better). Now, the reason this is a morality question is because there are a whole lot of reasons this went wrong. She had a possessive husband, she cheated, her boytoy was a dick, and her friend sucked, not just that she walked down a bridge and got murdered. That is where you decide, and presumably, if there were a psychologist behind this, how you rated reflects how you view life.

I know I'm rambling far too much here, but my point is don't compare two completely unrelated cases and expect them to tie together perfectly. It does not proof your case, it doesn't even come close.

Robin Hood Morality Test

12 years ago
"Seriously 3J, you're saying a random scenario like that is the same as a murder case with pre-existing consequences?"

What the hell does that even mean?

"pre-existing consequences"

A consequence that existed before what exactly? I'm very confused by this statement.

"Obviously the consequences of the first story were what is important, not the fact that the woman was murdered in the middle of the bridge"

When, did I ever stipulate that it had anything to do with the bridge? The fact that she died was important, just like the fact that the girl died in my scenario was important.

What the hell are you getting at?

Robin Hood Morality Test

12 years ago
A woman was killed by a madman
A girl was killed by a sniper

A woman was put in the position to be killed by a bunch of people who did not mean to kill her.

The girl was put in the position to be killed by a bunch of people who did not mean to kill her.

It's still completely the madman/sniper's fault. Period.

Robin Hood Morality Test

12 years ago

How very shortsighted of you.

Robin Hood Morality Test

12 years ago

Sorry for all the apparent confusion.

"existing consequences" as in things that happened before that tie in to the event, in this case murder. Someone walking down the road to get a loaf of bread and getting shot is not the same as someone who got killed when at least two different people both knew about it and could have stopped it. If you have the chance to stop something and refuse, then you are responsible as well.

I didn't stipulate that it had anything to do with the bridge either. The fact of the matter is that she died on a bridge, if I bring that up, it doesn't mean that it changes everything in the equation.

What I was getting at is that if other factors contribute to the murder, then you can't single the cause down to one problem and completely ignore the other factors. That would be like seeing a woman being stabbed on the street and saying that there are no other reasons for her death than the man just felt like stabbing her. Just like the scenario I just mentioned, you can't say the sole reason the woman died was that a madman stabbed her if her death could have easily been prevented.

Robin Hood Morality Test

12 years ago
hehehehehee, you're so cute, Bo. And you also don't make any logical sense. Let us draw some parallels.

Also... I don't think you know what a "pre-existing consequence" is. Hell, I don't know what that is but it's certainly not what you're talking about. You might have meant, with "important events leading to the murder"? Maybe? Not quite sure what you're on about so I could be wrong about that. I do know it's not a "pre-existing consequence" lol.

SO, what you're saying is that the other people are partially responsible because they knew about it and could have prevented it right? So if one has the ability to prevent a murder, it is their RESPONSIBILITY to do so, or they are murderers? That's definitely not the way the law looks at it, but alright, let's say you're right about that. Show me how these people (who knew she was going to die but let it happen by doing nothing) are any different than her mother who gave birth to her, knowing she'd die eventually and did nothing about it?

I mean, these people knew she'd die and they didn't do anything and her mother knew she'd die eventually and didn't do anything, so therefore her mother is responsible for her death right? I mean, according to your logic, that's the way it works, correct?

"If you have the chance to stop something and refuse, then you are responsible as well." - Bo

Damn. Let's put all mothers who outlive their children in jail (and desecrate the graves of those who didn't) because quite obviously, they could have stopped the deaths of their children by not giving birth but they didn't do that.

IT doesn't matter WHO could prevent her death, their not responsible for her dying unless they killed her. That's the way it works.

Robin Hood Morality Test

12 years ago

....Yes, lord 3J, all people who could have prevented it, no matter the consequence, are murderers. They shall all get the chair for their intolerable crimes. You are also right in how the only person responsible for her death is the stabber. I recall all those in interviews who stood by as someone was killed later remarking how they couldn't have done anything and it isn't their fault at all. None who opposes you could possibly make sense. All hail the all-knowing 3J

Screw it, I'm too tired to argue with someone who is that close-minded about something.

Robin Hood Morality Test

12 years ago
"I'm right because I am and you suck! Fuck logic!" - Bo

Robin Hood Morality Test

12 years ago

In both EndMaster's and JJJ's scenarios, the person who actually killed the girl is the person responsible for the girl's death. I can't see why there is debate over this. Sure, the other people may have contributed to the circumstances in which the girl was killed, but they didn't actually kill her. The madman/sniper did.

To the person above who had the scenario about China invading America and the POTUS effectively committing suicide on behalf of the whole of DC by pressing a big, red self-destruct button - the Chinese may have contributed to the circumstances which made the President want to press the red button, but they are not responsible for destroying DC. The President is, because he pressed the button. If the President didn't press the button and China wiped out DC with atomic bombs, THEN China would be responsible for the destruction of DC.

Robin Hood Morality Test

12 years ago

3J, I used logic, you refused to aknowledge it. The reason I refused to go on was because I put these things out there, and you just acted like everything that comes out of my fingers is stupid. I never said I was right for no reason, and I listed the reasons why I am right, so please be a little more mature about this. I also never said you suck, now if you would like to move on and quit putting words in my mouth, so would I.

Robin Hood Morality Test

12 years ago
Actually, I refuted each and every one of your points using counterexamples. Then you ungracefully bowed out sarcastically. You can do that, but don't come sniveling back asking me to be more mature about it.

Robin Hood Morality Test

12 years ago

Dangit, I typed something huge and it screwed up on the loading. Luckily I I pressed ctrl+a and copied when it took so long to load, so hopefully that worked.

Robin Hood Morality Test

12 years ago

Damnit, that didn't work, I'll post this again under a new post, hopefully it will work, if not I'll send it via PM and if you can make it work, please do so.

Robin Hood Morality Test

12 years ago

Ok guys, I'm pasting this but I'm getting a pop-up saying that "You need to post a message, silly!". I mean, I'm posting it, and the words are on the screen, but its not working. Could this be because I copied as it was loading?

Robin Hood Morality Test

12 years ago

Hold on, let me post to a Word document, then copy that and paste it here, that might work.

Robin Hood Morality Test

12 years ago

I bowed out sarcastically because I realized you wouldn't listen at all, or at least even put more than 5 seconds of thought into what I said and then ask pointless questions.

Robin Hood Morality Test

12 years ago

Ok, it got what looks like the first 20 words, baby steps I guess. I'll try re-writing everything I just posted, copying it from the word document onto the forum page, if that doesn't work, I'm going to be pretty irritated.

Robin Hood Morality Test

12 years ago

I bowed out sarcastically because I realized you wouldn't listen at all, or at least even put more than 5 seconds of thought into what I said and then ask pointless questions.

(Sigh) Fine, let's do this using your most recent post where you used counterexamples.

"I don't think you know what a 'pre-existing consequence' is. hell, i don't know what that is but it's certainly not what you're talking about" - 3J

Ok 3J, I'll put this simply. A pre-existing consequence is a consequence that has existed since before teh event in question (that's why "pre" was used), in this case the madman murdering a woman. Basically, the fact that the Baron was very possessive and caused the whole scenario., the fact that the Woman cheated on her husband and put herself in a position to be killed, how the Lover was shallow and refused to help her (knowing that she was going to be stabbed) an dhow her friend refused to help her at all, would all be pre-existing consequences.

"So if one has the ability to prevent a muder, it is their RESPONSIBILITY to do so, or they are murderers?" - 3J

yes, it is their responsibility to do so, at least by alerting the guards. However, you are obviously not a murderer unless you murder someone, and I never said they murdered her, just that they could have prevented her murder and didn't, so they are partially responsible for her death.

"I mean, these people knew she'd die and they didn't do anything and her mother knew she'd die eventually and didn't do anything, so therefor her mother is responsible for her death right? I mean, according to your logic, that's the way it works, correct?" - 3J

Went ahead and cut out a whole paragraph for this, because I personally found it funny. Look, we all know people are gonna die right? It's a simple fact of life. However, the difference is that none of us can prevent dying of natural causes. But in this case, they could have stopped it, and so they share responsibility.

Those were the things you typed that I felt should be addressed, if you want me to talk about anything else you said, I'll do so.

I've got another one!

12 years ago
Okay...

So there's a guy and after a long bloody history of raiding, he finally settles down with a woman and ends up getting a respectable job as a mercenary instead.

The mercenary has a couple kids, but he tends to slap his son around a bit for not being a rough tough warrior like himself. After all the verbal abuse, finally the mother steps in and notices the son is more geared towards magic, he's not really good at that either, but he's better at it than swinging a sword.

So she encourages the son to go to magic college and he does so, though he doesn't really feel like he's learning anything there. He does start developing an unhealthy interest in forbidden magic. A professor finds out and since he's a bit on the shady side he encourages him to pursue this path. Turns out the son is a natural at it.

Events occur and all hell breaks out in the city, and ultimately the son takes control of it. Naturally everyone sees him now as a big threat so they declare war on him. Despite their best efforts the war is at a stand off for a long time.

The son actually is content with what he has initially and probably wouldn't press the issue, but there is a secret group that really doesn't want him around since it could potentially fuck up the status quo. So the war is pressed, and ultimately ends with the son destroying the world.

Now...

What color was his robe?

Lol.

I've got another one!

12 years ago

I think the Necromancer had a gray robe didn't he? :P

I've got another one!

12 years ago
Actually I couldn't find consistent pictures for him, so it sometimes changed colors, but presumably just going by the story text it was gray, black or something dark. Necromancers aren't usually known to wear bright neon colors or pastels.

Anyway, nobody was responsible for destroying the world except the Necromancer in that scenario.

I've got another one!

12 years ago

Yeah, I don't see how anybody could have stopped it.

I've got another one!

12 years ago

And the Necromancer knew the risks when he began prac ticing illegal magics.

But I have another scenario that I would like to question:

A man is placed in a white box for scientific purposes. He was told that, if he ever needed something, he was to press the blue button on the wall next to the (only, unlocked) door and speak into the intercom. The only thing he couldn't ask for was human company. If he wanted to leave, he was to simply open the door, and the experiment ended.  Seeing as the room he entered had absolutely nothing in it, the first thing he asked for was a bed. He pressed the blue button, and asked for a bed. Within an hour, a bed was placed in his room. After a month of this, he became lonely and homesick, so he left the room. Little did he know, for every time he pressed the button in that one month, someone had died. They were young, healthy, and they wouldn't have died if he simply hadn't pressed the blue button on the wall. Whose fault is it?

I've got another one!

12 years ago
I have to say the scientists/experimenters were most responsible since they knew the man was killing people the whole time and just let him continue to do so for a whole month. Not to mention the fact that they set the experiment up so people would die in the first place.

If they had told him at the beginning of the experiment and he still continued to press the blue button then the man would be most responsible.

I've got another one!

12 years ago
I agree that it is defiantly the experimenters fault. The man had no previous knowledge of what was going on.

I've got another one!

12 years ago
The experimenters, definitely. The man isn't actually killing anyone.

I've got another one!

12 years ago

Yeah, he's more of an instrument in this case.

I've got another one!

12 years ago

I'd say that the man caused the deaths, but the scientists were responsible for them (as the man had no knowledge of what he was doing).

I've got another one!

12 years ago

As in, the man is killing people but he isn't responsible for the deaths.

I've got another one!

12 years ago

Definetly the scientists. They killed people before their true time came and ruined the man's life by letting him kill people without knowing it and then he has to live the rest of his life with the guilt of killing those people.

I've got another one!

12 years ago
Honestly, I wouldn't feel guilty at all.

I've got another one!

12 years ago

Really JJJ?

I've got another one!

12 years ago
After awhile I would say it was not my fault and come to terms with it.

I've got another one!

12 years ago

I'd have to go with the scientists. The man might have killed the people, but they caused it.

Robin Hood Morality Test

12 years ago

Can we just blame god and stop arguing about who is most responsible?

Also let me put in another scenario, if god has a way to stop all the problems in the world but chooses not to should he be held responsible?

Robin Hood Morality Test

12 years ago

Well...if he created everything, didn't he create Satan? What about evil? Didn't he create that? So yes, I would say he can be held responsible. Besides, he should have been able to erase all those things after he found out creating them was a bad idea, even though if he was truly almighty, he would know the results of his actions before he made them. But what we're talking about is a perspective where god isn't involved, and if he is, then we're talking about whoever is the most responsible of the mentioned characters, and god is not mentioned, so whether he is responsible for any of the scenarios described above is completely irrelevant.

Robin Hood Morality Test

12 years ago

Horrible scenario I guess. Anyways I've been reading some of these posts and it looks like nobody really answered what JJJ and Bo were arguing about, if it's morally irresponsible for people to ignore other people's problems when they were in a postition to help?

Robin Hood Morality Test

12 years ago
Depends on the problems. I think they should give money to charities and other organizations to help them. I don't think they should go out in a homeless section of town and start throwing money. If you see someone about to jump off a building, they are morally obligated to try and talk them down. If someone is about to shoot someone else, I feel morally obligated to call the cops but not rush at the person holding the gun. It is a matter of personal opinion of what is morally right. I wrote a found poem about the Holocaust. My favorite line is this "The worst crime an entire people were shunned. Murdered in the camp. While, the rest of us sat by and watched" Referring how no one cared what Germany was doing.

Robin Hood Morality Test

12 years ago
Actually he did not create Satan. He created angles and some of them fell, becoming what is know as demons/devils. Satan, a fallen angle, created the original evil/sin by convincing Adam and Eve to eat an Apple, that god specifically told them not to eat. This was the start of sin and humanity, according to the bible.

Robin Hood Morality Test

12 years ago

Yes and God had the mercy and compassion towards humans not to kill us all and give us a chance to live our lives.

Robin Hood Morality Test

12 years ago

But...if he can do everything, can't he just erase both Satan and evil?

Robin Hood Morality Test

12 years ago

And everything that stands against him for that matter.

Robin Hood Morality Test

12 years ago

Also, if demons are fallen angels, which god created, couldn't he just...you know...bring them back?

Robin Hood Morality Test

12 years ago
No he couldn't because they are unprue.

Robin Hood Morality Test

12 years ago

So he's not almighty after all? Because if there is anything he can't do (such as turn demons back to the light side), then his power is by definition limited, and therefore he is not all powerful. Correct?

Robin Hood Morality Test

12 years ago
No, It is like why does he let humans sin? Because he won't take away free will. If he change the demons to angles again he would eliminate sin. Which he refuses to do.

Robin Hood Morality Test

12 years ago

But...aren't sins supposed to be a creation of Satan, not God? Therefore, they do not fit into his vision of the world, and when God intended to create humans, he probably didn't consider that Satan would bring sins into their world, so is it that God was going to create humans without free will, and then Satan installed it afterwards? Because if that is not the case, I don't see how erasing Satan (or any of the other demons for that matter) would have an impact on free will, because then everything would be as God intended it to be...unless of course God had a bad plan to start with and thinks Satan's version of the plan is better, but since God is supposed to be all knowing (btw, wouldn't he know Lucifer would become Satan before it happened? Isn't God able to timewarp or something) and Satan is supposed to be the represendant of evil, I doubt Satan's plan was better than God's.

Robin Hood Morality Test

12 years ago

I am by the way not trying to insult christianity. Just pointing things out as I see them from the perspective that christianity is real.

Robin Hood Morality Test

12 years ago

Well maybe you should read revelation the last chapter of the bible. It tells how God is going to defeat Satan. We had freewill it's just that we didn't have the knowledge needed to use it to full force. Angels also have free will. In the bible before Satan turned evil it tells how Satan was a beautiful angel that had the most wonderful voice among the angels. He was there to please God. But his head got too big. He didn't understand why someone as beautiful as himself wasn't aloud to be in charge. So he had a falling out with God many angels followed him becoming demons. And ever since he has been out to destroy humanity and thus he helped corrupt the whole planet.

Robin Hood Morality Test

12 years ago

Oh by the way he knew this would happen he is all knowing but he still knew that some of the humans would be able to overcome sin and get the ultimate reward which is heaven.

Robin Hood Morality Test

12 years ago

And so he did not stop the angel Satan was from "falling over to the dark side" in a matter of speaking, even though he obivously could because he can do anything, and so instead of allowing everyone into heaven, he lets Satan create something that can make people too unpure to enter heaven and instead they now have a chance of being damned into eternal torture, even though God could prevent all of this by waving his hand? That's a little...well...sadistic, isn't it? Also, I have read the bible, although I can't say I remember it word for word. And as I asked before, can or can't he turn demond back into angels?

Robin Hood Morality Test

12 years ago

Also, why wait with defeating Satan? I mean, if he's going to do it anyway, he could easily accomplish it at any time?

Robin Hood Morality Test

12 years ago

Also, Satan was there to please God? Can't he just create anything to amuse himself, if that is so important?

Robin Hood Morality Test

12 years ago

Well that's the thing. It's not our choice. It's actually believed that time is different in that realm. And pain and suffering is to test faith. Faith is everything.

Robin Hood Morality Test

12 years ago

He did create it. He created Lucifer. Which was Satan's angel name.

Robin Hood Morality Test

12 years ago

Right, and he created Lucifer as a jealous person who eventually became his archnemesis, or does he just randomize the personality of beings he creates?

Robin Hood Morality Test

12 years ago

Free will. That's the theme. You choose who you are. Lucifer chose to be Satan because jealousy.

Robin Hood Morality Test

12 years ago

But...God constructs everything about a person...doesn't he? Combine that with the ability to forsee the future, and he will know exactly what kind of person he is creating. I mean, he gave Lucifer the personality that caused him to become Satan. Also, if God is all about free will, why does he insist people believe in him? I get that it's nice to get credit for your work, but a part of free will is...well...free will, and if he really wanted everyone to have a free will, he wouldn't care if people believed in him or not since...well...they are free to believe what they want. Isn't "you shall not have other gods" or something like that (I can't recall completely how it was phrased, but I think it basically made the same statement) a referance to the fact that he doesn't want people to believe in just about anything?

Robin Hood Morality Test

12 years ago

He does admit that he is a jealous God. But why not? He did create everything if you created everything out of nothing don't you want to be reconized for it? And he knew that the days after the world had ended would be infintlely better. He and all of his loyal subjects would be able to live in peace for the rest of eternity.

Robin Hood Morality Test

12 years ago

So he actually damns people for believing in another god (or no god at all). That goes against your previous statement of him supporting free will. In fact, that means he forces opinions.

Robin Hood Morality Test

12 years ago

No no no. He gives unlimited chances to redeem yourself. And he lets you choose your fate. He just wants you to choose him. And he is genuinely sad when someone makes the wrong choices.

Robin Hood Morality Test

12 years ago

Well, of course, but sending them off to be Satan's vent for anger is a bit much, don't you think?

Robin Hood Morality Test

12 years ago

Well you know he was good enough to let us live. And give us a chance to get to heaven. You just can't get it all. He does what he sees fit. I mean he could kill ever single one of us or make us feel so much pain we wish to kill ourselves but he doesn't. I mean there is an old saying I rather get to the afterlife with my religion and find out I didn't need it than get there without it when I needed it.

Robin Hood Morality Test

12 years ago

Good enough to let us live? He made us live, but of course, if he makes us live just so we can be tormented would make him a very sadistic individual. Also, did God create personality? If so, does he have personality? If he does, what kind of personality, that of a human? Also, he decides how we think, so he could make sure we think in a manner that causes us to believe in him, making that our choice, therefore, he would not break his code of free will, and everyone would get to heaven.

Robin Hood Morality Test

12 years ago

All right, this is how I see it the whole damning people thing..

You know that annoying guy in the middle of every school-related team or function who has no idea what he's doing and is just there because he felt like he needs something to do when he doesn't really deserve it, which makes everybody super pissed and ruins the experience? That's what I feel about how God  keeps certain people out of heaven. Yes, he created us with free will so we can choose to follow whatever religion we want, be it Buddhism, Islam, Christianity, or simply no religion at all. I see this as being all a part of his grand screening process. Although I personally do not think that  religion is gonna keep you out of heaven as long as you do what the Bible defines as morale, I know some Christians do think that, (as well as certain feelings about homosexuality) so feel free to include that into what I'm about to say. I believe that God gave us the ability to be evil, just like how he gave us the ability to be good, so you, as a person, will decide whether you are righteous enough to enter heaven. Otherwise, the purity of heaven will be compromised leaving us all with a far less enjoyable experience.*

*Many of my beliefs on Christiany are conflicting with traditional Christian churches. I do not "belong" to a certain protestant branch, because seing as no churches I visited made as much sense to me  as I would have liked, I decided to form my own beliefs. Some of my views may offend some strict Christians (they have in the past), but I assure you that is not my intention.

Robin Hood Morality Test

12 years ago

I have to ask, is that being christian? I mean, believing in divine beings is being religious, but religion is not just christianity. How is your religious views any more...lets say Greek mythology? Or buddism. What religion it is is besides the point, but you get what I'm saying. What makes you christian?

Robin Hood Morality Test

12 years ago

The biggest factor is probably being saved along with certain beliefs most christains approve of.

Robin Hood Morality Test

12 years ago

But...most of the religions are (in certain aspects), extremely similar. A friend of mine says he believes in something unexplainable, and claims therefore to be christian? Is he?

Robin Hood Morality Test

12 years ago

It depends. Sometimes it's just a deep unexplainable feeling that makes you beleive in one thing or another.

Robin Hood Morality Test

12 years ago

But how does God see it? When this guy would die, where would he go? There is nothing that indicates the god he believes in isn't Zeus, Allah, Buddha, Thor or any of those guys. Would God know what he believes in, even though he himself doesn't? I mean, I imagine he calls himself christian because christianity is the most common religion in his country, and for him religion=christianity (maybe, I am not making any assumptions). 

Robin Hood Morality Test

12 years ago

Well God knows all and he would judge by thought and actions.

Robin Hood Morality Test

12 years ago

Yeah, but if the person is indecisive, then how can God know the answer, because there really isn't one? It could be anything and there really is no way to determine what it is. I mean, even Chuck Norris couldn't lift a boulder that isn't there.

Robin Hood Morality Test

12 years ago

I guess it wouldn't count as christainty because it wasn't a definite yes.

Robin Hood Morality Test

12 years ago

So if whether the answer is yes or no is unclear, it is treated as a no? Even though it could turn out to be a yes?

Robin Hood Morality Test

12 years ago

Silly Sindri, Buddha isn't a god :)

Actually, if you imagine something is true, then you are assuming it, which means you are making assumptions.

Robin Hood Morality Test

12 years ago

Well it couldn't have been a yes if the guy wasn't saved anyway.

Robin Hood Morality Test

12 years ago

I was thinking more along the lines that he said he wasn't making assumptions when he was assuming that his friend only believed in Christianity because it was the dominant religion in his region.

Robin Hood Morality Test

12 years ago

I suspected.

Robin Hood Morality Test

12 years ago

I think you misunderstood what I means with not making assumptions. I suspected that the reason he considered it to be christianity is that that was what his family believed, and so when he claimed to believe in something unexplainable, he called it being christian, even though there is nothing that indicates it is not some other religion. I said I suspected that, but I also noted that I wasn't assuming that. That is all I meant.

Robin Hood Morality Test

12 years ago

Well, some people have an unexplainable feeling deep inside that tells them that God exists. I've heard that most preachers had the feeling and the only way to sate it would be from spreading his word, so who knows?

Robin Hood Morality Test

12 years ago

Being Christian means that you have accepted that Jesus as your lord and savior. Jesus Christ=Christianity, get it? I would say that the god you believe in decides your religion, but don't Jews believe in the Christian god and vice versa, but we disagree about the whole Jesus thing?

Robin Hood Morality Test

12 years ago

I don't know. As I said, I'm just trying to understand christianity (and more religions for that matter) right now, because I can't say that I do. Anyway, speaking of other religions, how do christians view other religions?

Robin Hood Morality Test

12 years ago

As far as how Christians view other religions, the answer would be as different as the people who believe in it. As far as I know, there is no "Christian council" for protestants who decides how we treat others, but I personally don't care unless they persecute my religion.

Robin Hood Morality Test

12 years ago

Do you find them illogical or ridiculous or something along those lines?

Robin Hood Morality Test

12 years ago

Well some of them like Satan worshipers are nuts. I personally support Jews, catholics, penecostals, methodists and some others.

Robin Hood Morality Test

12 years ago

Hmmm...why are Satan worshippers nuts? I mean, I think supporting the representant of evil is rather odd, but what makes it so insane?

Robin Hood Morality Test

12 years ago

The fact that they choose to worship a deity that deals in sin, pain, and abortions might suggest some screws loose psychologically, but I don't think they're any more insane than I am for worshipping a bearded man in the sky who grants wishes.

Robin Hood Morality Test

12 years ago

That's good. I hate it when people consider their own version of the world to be better than others. Probably as much as when people claim your view is the wrong one.

Robin Hood Morality Test

12 years ago

I do claim that your view is the wrong one, the fact that I'm Christian and your not should be practically screaming it lol, I just won't try to stop you from believing what you please.

Also, I said that wrong earlier. It wasn't abortions that the devil dealt in, it was miscarriages, don't know why I typed abortions.

Robin Hood Morality Test

12 years ago

Right, what I said didn't seem to get my point across. I meant of course when people are in your face about it, like you said.

Robin Hood Morality Test

12 years ago

That's what I assumed (why I added that last bit of the paragraph) but I felt I would address the other as well, seeing as you brought it up.

Robin Hood Morality Test

12 years ago

Also, I have to ask since we we're talking about this earlier, we were talking about how God does not make decisions for people because of free will and all, but what are the things he does not participate in?

Robin Hood Morality Test

12 years ago

Depends on your view of Christianity. It is made up of many different sects (most of them under the Protestant banner, because Catholics make up their own branch) that have different specific beliefs, but for the most part the same general ones. I myself believe that God isn't actually that active in the world, but differrent types of Christians, like dogbox, would probably believe differently.

Robin Hood Morality Test

12 years ago

So...what does he do? He created the world, formed life and sits back and watches? I mean, that might make sense, but if I was a god, I would probably be more interactive with my world. Hell, I would do many things differently than he is supposed to have done it.

Robin Hood Morality Test

12 years ago

Like I said, that's just my belief. I would direct you to a handy little book known as the Bible if you're so thirsty for knowledge :) It would probably explain things better than dogbox or I could, even if I don't agree with everything in it. Even if you have no desire to own one, the local libraries over here have them, and even a few waiting rooms, so maybe you could read a little at a time, write down where you left off, and refer to the note next time you use it.

Robin Hood Morality Test

12 years ago

I actually read it (kinda had to for Homo Perfectus, I originally wrote it as a movie script and the Bible was referanced a lot more there than in the storygame). It's on the internet, so I didn't need a library or anything like that.

Robin Hood Morality Test

12 years ago

Also, if you read the Bible you'll notice that the way he deals with humanity changes over time  (I'm assuming through experience) whether it is providing a perfect paradise for his first humans or wiping out the population of the world (save two of each species and a couple of humans), the way he deals with them changes. I don't know how this slipped my mind earlier when you were asking about why God gave us the tendencies that he did, but I'll go over it now. If my memory serves me correctly, In the Garden of Eden, Adam and Eve were living in bliss with plentiful food, shelter, etc. untill they partook (against God's instructions) of the forbidden fruit at the snake's tempting. When they ate this fruit, they started feeling these emotions, symbolized by the immediate need to find clothing after eating it, so God didn't intentionally design us with these flaws.

Robin Hood Morality Test

12 years ago

But when God told them not to eat the apple, didn't he know they would? Doesn't he know everything?

Robin Hood Morality Test

12 years ago

I'd have to reread, but I assume so. Remember that I havn't read the Bible in a long, long time lol. But my point is that he didn't intentionally make us flawed, after he made us maybe he knew we would become flawed, but I don't really know for sure.

Robin Hood Morality Test

12 years ago

He should, I mean, he's supposed to know everything. If there is anything he doesn't know, then...well...he doesn't know everything, just like if there's something he can't do, he's not all powerful.

Robin Hood Morality Test

12 years ago

Like what?Maybe if you list some examples I can help a little more.

I actually like a quote from Futurama after Bender literally finds God somewhere in the universe and he doesn't ever talk in straight answers, simply things like "I assume so"  and "That's possible" and things like that, yet at the same time he knows everything about Bender's life as well as those of his friends. Earlier during this episode, Bender is floating through space after being shot out of a torpedo hatch  and is hit by an asteroid containing a race of small humanoids. These humanoids later refer to him as the "metal lord" and Bender goes through various phases mimicking the Bible. At one point he pays too much attention to his little civilization and causes floods, droughts, and things like that untill he makes a vow not to interact with his people to save them from suffering. During this phase, however his people start making their own versions of his religion depending on the region they live in, and end up destroying each other in nuclear war. But I'm digressing, here's the conversation, paraphrased.

"But I just ended up hurting them no matter what I did, when I tried to help them, I ended up killing them, and when I left them alone, they ended up killing each other." - Bender

"Yes, the key is not to touch them, but have your touch so delicate they don't feel it. If you're doing it right, they won't even know you're doing anything at all." - Futurama's portrayal of God.

Robin Hood Morality Test

12 years ago

"The key is to touch them"*

Robin Hood Morality Test

12 years ago

Hmm... a nice example, but if you want me to give you an example of what I mean then I absolutely can't understand why he didn't just transform Satan and the other falled angels back into angels or prevent them from changing into demons in the first place.

Robin Hood Morality Test

12 years ago

Eh, if you ask me this is a smarter solution. Not only does he prove that he is just by allowing Satan to have his free will, he also has a little piece of land to throw all the rejects from heaven in. Once again, that may be blasphemous, but that's what I took from the situation.

Robin Hood Morality Test

12 years ago

Lets use Batman as an analogy. The Joker has a free will, but he is too dangerous to be allowed to use it, and so, the Batman puts him in Arkham Asylum. God could easily defeat Satan, or render him harmless, but he doesn't. Couldn't he at least remove his demonic powers or something?

Robin Hood Morality Test

12 years ago

He could but I do recall him loving all of his creations, perhaps that's a factor. But still, without demonic powers, who's gonna run Hell? Hades? I doubt he'll be happy about it :) Anyway, a way I like to think about it is this: as far as God and Satan's level goes, we don't know a damn thing. Everything we know to be true could be impossible, and everything we know to be impossible could be true, or maybe a mixture of the two we couldn't comprehend.

Robin Hood Morality Test

12 years ago

I'm not sure if anyone touched on this since I basically skimmed through all of these posts. But if god is omninicient, then would'nt it be impossible to have free will, since he should be able to know everything we will do in advance? 

Robin Hood Morality Test

12 years ago

I touched that a bit, or...well...closed in on it. I am curious about that as well.

Robin Hood Morality Test

12 years ago

So could we say that god is not omniscient or humans don't have free will?

Robin Hood Morality Test

12 years ago

Not at all. If he knows what we are going to do, it doesn't mean he makes us do them, just that he knows we did them. Simple as that.

Robin Hood Morality Test

12 years ago

But he designs us, and he sees the future, so when he makes us, he knows exactly what that will make us do, if he makes us any different, our actions would be different, and so when he originally makes us, he knows exactly what will happen, and what happens if he makes us the way he...well...makes us, which undoubtedly can alter his decision. I mean, when he is making a...lets say terrorist (just taking an example of a human we can agree is bad), while God is making him, he should know exactly what he is making. Right?

Robin Hood Morality Test

12 years ago

Depends on how you like the future-seeing theory to pan out. I personally like the theory that there are multiple paths that merge into one only after a decision is made, so maybe after he makes us he can see what we do. Other than that, we can't have all good all the time, everything including the good and the bad is what makes us so special, and maybe thats what God intended. For a better explination I would ask just about any preacher "after hours", I doubt he will turn you down if it means potentially converting an atheist. Not that you will convert, just that's how he will see it.

Robin Hood Morality Test

12 years ago

Somehow god just knowing our choice in end takes away our free will in a way, even if he does'nt directly impact our decision by knowing our future actions.

Ugh my logic is faulty and I dunno how to prove it but somehow when god knows our actions he impacts the result.

Robin Hood Morality Test

12 years ago

Ok so if a man wants to choose between door A and B and god somehow knows that he will choose door B. The man has no way of choosing door A, even if god has no interference in the situation. His freewill is undermined by god's decision.

Robin Hood Morality Test

12 years ago

Yes, I believe so. And Bo, you know how DNA works, right? It is essentially a script of our bodies. If God knows everything, he will know what our "script" will tell us to do at any given moment, therefore, he will be able to forsee any decision we make, causing what I said earlier to come into effect.

Robin Hood Morality Test

12 years ago

I'm not sure if DNA determines all your actions.

Robin Hood Morality Test

12 years ago

I meant a sort of script of all your attributes. Which DNA sort of is (unless I completely misunderstand what it is).

Robin Hood Morality Test

12 years ago

So you mean Jews and Christians -_-

Robin Hood Morality Test

12 years ago

Yes.  I personally believe that several religions will make it to heaven. And then there is also that Jesus was a Jew so yeah Jews will probably make it along with christains and a few others.

Robin Hood Morality Test

12 years ago

I also don't know who Buddha believed in (he was Indian, so maybe Hinduism? Please forgive me if my timeline is way off), but he didn't think he was a god, just an enlightened man. As far as I know, he wasn't viewed as supernatural untill the Chinese and Mongols got a hold of the religions and it got converted into what is basically ancient manga. (Lol, I had a little book outlining the basics of different religions and beliefs throughout history that I got at a yardsale, and it had a different section for each kind of Buddhism. Indians were the most down-to-earth, followed by Mongols, then the Chinese had him supernaturally fighting demons with his kick-ass sword and whatnot)

Robin Hood Morality Test

12 years ago

I could go into how I don't think gods are supernatural again, but I won't!

Robin Hood Morality Test

12 years ago
This conversation went on a weird turn. Its kind of interesting to see what you guys think of religion. I'm an atheist myself, but religion fascinates me. Especially when it comes to exactly where people draw their religious lines (like who they believe gets into heaven and who doesn't)

Robin Hood Morality Test

12 years ago
I also find it interesting when most people start talking about what they think is right and wrong, and what they believe happened. Because often times, the religion they say they're part of, isn't the one that actually fits in with what they believe.

Robin Hood to Religion

12 years ago
Figured I'd reset the topic thread since it looks like it's now turning into a religious debate.

Still wondering when someone was going to pull out the age old question that "Could God create a rock that he himself could not lift?"

Robin Hood to Religion

12 years ago

LOL well of course he can, but then he would lift it any way. :P

Robin Hood to Religion

12 years ago

Okay, now I'm going to answer the original question that started this whole religion talk with the information my questions have given me. Can God be blamed for everything?

Yes. And here's why:

1. He created us with our personality, and since he can do anything, he can see exactly what decisions we would make with those personalities, and since he can see the future of everyone, he can also see how two (or more) individuals react upon encountering one another. Regardless of whether he interacts with our world afterwards, he wouldn't have to because when he makes us he decides what people raise us, what society we belong to, what kind of environment we are raised in and all this really decides what kind of person we become, therefore, deciding our decisions (because obviously, we make our decisions based on what kind of person we are). This of course goes for everything, when he created Lucifer, he would know that he made him too jealous, and that his character would lead him to becoming Satan AND he also knew that Lucifer would create the sins and release them upon mankind.

2. Following the previous remark, because he decides how the character of people developes, he is really responsible for all other religions. He could easily have made us in a way that we wouldn't have formed other religions (this is of course from the perspective that christianity is true and therefore, all other religions ar untrue), and it still wouldn't have gone against our free will, because we could have formed other religions, we just wouldn't because that wouldn't be how our character had developed, which, as described in 1st remark, is also controlled by God. Therefore, when he sends people to hell for not believing in him, he really has only himself to blame.

3. People say Satan created sins, and that is why God doesn't agree with them, because they are a creation of Satan and not him. But, just like with other religions (or atheism), it was in fact he who started the chain reaction that resulted in the creation of sins, therefore, he can be blamed for that as well.

If you feel like yelling and sending me endless amounts of hatemail after this, then it's probably because deep down, you saw truth in what I said (like a fat person in denial, and constantly gets angry when people mention the word fat (obviously, he should get angry when people are using it to mock him, but I'm kind of talking about in a more friendly manner)). If you not, you'll either agree with me or laugh and explain what I misunderstood, how I misunderstood it and explain what is truly correct.

Robin Hood to Religion

12 years ago

Why can't God do all of that and not be guilty whatsoever? After all, he's God and he doesn't have to play by anyone's rules. You're trying to bind an omniscient being into logic. Ever thought of how proposterous that is?

Robin Hood to Religion

12 years ago

If he creates a living being from scratch AND sees into the future, he sees exactly what decisions his creation makes, and so if he changes his creation (lets say he makes the person less a less jealous type of person), then that will impact the decisions that person makes, therefore, when he creates a...lets say terrorist, he knows that his creation will become a terrorist while, and even before, he creates him, therefore, he creates the terrorist, while knowing what he will become and what he will do.

You say "why can't God do all of that and not be guilty whatsoever?" I say "why can he do all that and not be guilty whatsoever?" Does he change the definition of guilt? Does he magically make himself not involved? If he can do that, wouldn't he erase all he has done, because after all, if he isn't involved, he doesn't create anything, does he?

Also, why is it preposterous to talk logic about God? Are you saying he's unlogical? I think so too and that's why I'm an atheist, but I am trying to understand christianity, and if there's nothing more to it than "it's just like that and that's final", then I don't understand what people see in it. I think logic apply to everything.

Robin Hood to Religion

12 years ago
This is probably a blasphemous way of thinking about God, but here is one way of looking at it from a logical perspective.

Free will goes both ways. God may have very well loaded the dice and put you in a bad situation or you were born with a slant to do evil, but you still got enough free will to repent or whatever it is you have to do to decide something like "My life is crap and my environment is crap, but I'm still going to be a good guy and live like a beggar instead of robbing people for money."

It's all a test. He's testing everyone like someone would test lab animals. Some get cheese right from the start, some have to go through a maze to get the cheese, and some poor mice get a shock when they try to get the cheese.

God could be guilty and you could blame him for everything, nothing says you can't. The problem lies with you can do all that, but you can't actually do anything about it. It's his playground, his rules to change and do whatever the hell he wants really.

The best you can do, assuming God is the sadist that you're saying he is to beg and worship him and hope he takes mercy on you, because you can't fight him or even overthrow him like you could a human tyrant. His former second in command, Lucifer, who is arguably the only thing resembling competition can't beat him, so really what chance has a human got?

Now one could take the chance that MAYBE if you side with the devil you've got a chance, but there's nothing really to prove that. Lucifer had like 1/3 of the angels on his side when he first attempted it, I doubt if adding a few billion puny human souls is going to tip the scales. Plus Lucifer's a dick too, so you'd just be exchanging one tyrant for another in the unlikely event that there was some sort of change.

I'm not a Christian, but I can see sort of a logic in "might makes right" type thing going on. I know there's this idea that God is loving etc, but I still think there's A LOT of fear when it comes to most people that worship God (regardless of Christian denomination). Considering he's sent things like plagues, floods and locusts at folks, and then casts them into a fiery hellpit to burn and writhe in pain for all eternity, it's natural that people worship him out of fear. Logical even. The "love" part is almost like "battered spouse syndrome" (He only sends an angel of death because he really loves me! Lol)

On the non-belivers side, I can also see the logic in "Why the hell would I want to worship a God that's uncaring at best and sadistic at worst?" Well, your answer would be, it might suck, but until you develop divine powers to fight him on even terms, you can't do anything about it, so it's better to just lay low. Of course you've still got free will to fight the "system", so you can still pursue that path if you wish.

Robin Hood to Religion

12 years ago

If God is supposed to be able to do everything, and Satan is not (I'm not even sure what he's capable of), then even if Satan had the entire universe on his side, he wouldn't stand a chance, because God could easily just create another universe on his side or mind control Satan's universe, or even Satan himself. You know, if it came to a fight. So you're right about the "no one can oppose him" part (unless his power is exaggurated, which I find likely because if he really did have infinite power, things would not be the way they are, or at least I don't think they would).

Robin Hood to Religion

12 years ago

Another itty-bitty blasphemous idea, what if God intentionally does these things to amuse himself. I mean, he's done some bad things in the past, floods, famines, locusts, whatever, why couldn't he intentionally do these things. It might be because he's bored up there and wants to see what happens when he tests us. That might go against his little see into the future theory, but then again, with a being that has the ability to create everything we have ever known, concieved, thought of, (perhaps he even made our concept of logic?), maybe what we see as logical doesn't apply to him.

Robin Hood Morality Test

12 years ago

---------------------

I bowed out sarcastically because I realized you wouldn't listen at all, or at least even put more than 5 seconds of thought into what I said and then ask pointless questions.

(Sigh) Fine, let's do this using your most recent post where you used counterexamples.

"I don't think you know what a 'pre-existing consequence' is. hell, i don't know what that is but it's certainly not what you're talking about" - 3J

Ok 3J, I'll put this simply. A pre-existing consequence is a consequence that has existed since before teh event in question (that's why "pre" was used), in this case the madman murdering a woman. Basically, the fact that the Baron was very possessive and caused the whole scenario., the fact that the Woman cheated on her husband and put herself in a position to be killed, how the Lover was shallow and refused to help her (knowing that she was going to be stabbed) an dhow her friend refused to help her at all, would all be pre-existing consequences.

"So if one has the ability to prevent a muder, it is their RESPONSIBILITY to do so, or they are murderers?" - 3J

yes, it is their responsibility to do so, at least by alerting the guards. However, you are obviously not a murderer unless you murder someone, and I never said they murdered her, just that they could have prevented her murder and didn't, so they are partially responsible for her death.

"I mean, these people knew she'd die and they didn't do anything and her mother knew she'd die eventually and didn't do anything, so therefor her mother is responsible for her death right? I mean, according to your logic, that's the way it works, correct?" - 3J

Went ahead and cut out a whole paragraph for this, because I personally found it funny. Look, we all know people are gonna die right? It's a simple fact of life. However, the difference is that none of us can prevent dying of natural causes. But in this case, they could have stopped it, and so they share responsibility.

Those were the things you typed that I felt should be addressed, if you want me to talk about anything else you said, I'll do so.

----------------------------

The above is Bo's post.

On the topic of a "pre-existing consequence":

DEFINITION OF CONSEQUENCE: " something produced by a cause or necessarily following from a set of conditions" (http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/consequence)

So a consequence clearly comes from a set of conditions. A pre-existing consequence is one of the stupidest things I have ever heard. A consequence literally exists because of a set of conditions, how can it predate those conditions? Stop with the ridiculous made up terms. Just stop it.

"just that they could have prevented her murder and didn't, so they are partially responsible for her death." - Bo

So if someone can prevent a murder, and doesn't do it, then they are (at least partially) responsible for their death? So, unless I throw myself in front of a train to save a man standing on the tracks, I am responsible for his death? Clearly, I could have prevented it and did not do so. You would hold me accountable for that?

Robin Hood Morality Test

12 years ago
I agree with you on the friend and the lover not being responsible. (I also agree with you about 'pre-exsisting concequences'. Its not a term.)

The Baron, or whoever, isn' innocent, though. I don't think anyway. If you chased someone into a train station with a knife telling them that you'll stab them if you catch them, then in their flight they decide to run on the tracks, and get hit by a train, its your fault. You are responsible for their death.

The baron made it so that her only choice was to die by the hands of the madman, or by his. So he is responsible for what happened to her as well. Not fully guilty, but definitely partially responsible in my eyes.

Robin Hood Morality Test

12 years ago

Technically, nobody said the woman would be killed by the Baron, just severely punished. Of course you could assume that he would kill her, but then again you could assume that  her choices were between being beat up and being killed.

Robin Hood Morality Test

12 years ago

con·se·quence

noun \ˈkän(t)-sÉ™-ËŒkwen(t)s, -kwÉ™n(t)s\

Definition of CONSEQUENCE

: a conclusion derived through logic : inference
: something produced by a cause or necessarily following from a set of conditions <the economic consequences of the war>
a : importance with respect to power to produce an effect <a mistake of no consequence> b : social importance
: the appearance of importance; especially : self-importance

There's 3J's full definition, if anyone wants to check it out without cliking the link.

Funny you would say that 3J, because option 2 was exactly the definition I looked at. Strange that you didn't mention the first half of the definition when you said it disproved me though, seeing as it is something produced by a cause. A cause being a basis for an action (http://www.thefreedictionary.com/cause), like how the ones I listed after I said there were pre-existing consequences resulted in the action of her being stabbed

"Stop with the ridiculous made up terms. Just stop it." - 3J

Ridiculous made up terms 3J, really? A consequence is a real term, pre-existing is a real term, and seeing as the whole group of words makes sense, I could say it works out pretty well. Who's more rediculous, someone who makes up terms or someone who refuses to use common sense to figure out what it means?

"So, unless I throw myself in front of a train to save a man standing on the tracks, I am responsible for his death?" - 3J

Normally, any halfway intelligent person would be able to figure out that if it results in you dying, then it doesn't mean you should*, but for you, 3J, I'll make an exception.

Also, I have noticed that you get very emotional when arguing, to the point that you basically just become an ass. It happened when debating with Ugilick (although I know I did it too that time) and you're doing it now.

*Just in case you try to use what I just said against me later, nobody said that her friend and lover would be killed, they just assumed it. At least they could have lent her gold or something.

Robin Hood Morality Test

12 years ago
Zikara, your example is quite flawed. The baron didn't leave her with those two options. The third option was to simply not leave the castle. If she had a problem with those three options, she should have taken it up with him or fled, not gone behind his back the whole time. She put herself in that situation, not him. In your example, the chaser leaves the girl two options, that doesn't happen here.

Bo, up is a real thing. Down is a real thing. What the hell is an updown? A consequence is the result of a cause. The pre-existing result of something does not exist in a linear-timed universe. Stop being a dolt. (Oh look, I'm getting emotional! Hide!)

So now you're saying that unless it kills you, it's your responsibility to prevent murder, right? So what if it mames you or hospitalizes you? Where do you draw the line? If you are drawing a line, it's clearly an arbitrary line and completely useless.

Robin Hood Morality Test

12 years ago
I would like to say though, Bo, it's clearly you who's getting emotional. After all, I'm not the one getting offended.

Robin Hood Morality Test

12 years ago

Her example is only flawed because it contradicts yours.

You know what, I'm out. I explained things repeatedly, and you either acted like you can't grasp simple terms, or you're stupid, which I think we all know isn't true. You can taunt me from here on out, I don't care, I know that I won't be convinced because your idea of the killer being the only one who could have possibly lead to her being killed is incredibly shortsighted, and I know you won't be convinced because apparently you just refuse. I'll comment on the religious portion of this forum and any further developments or future tests, but not this, it also doesn't matter if things progress in my favor or simply lie in a standstill, if I say I'm going to do something (or not do something), I'm going to do it (or not do it). As of now, I'm going to agree to disagree, whether you do or not is your choice.

Robin Hood Morality Test

12 years ago
"Her example is only flawed because it contradicts yours." - Bo

Really? REALLY? So the entire paragraph I wrote after that statement where I showed exactly WHY it's flawed must not be in English since you can't seem to read it ;)

Robin Hood Morality Test

12 years ago
And therein lies the crux of what's happened in this argument. I've disputed all of your points with precision and you've failed to provide even semi-sensible retorts and then you've simply thrown your hands up and said: "I give up! I'm not wrong, I just can't argue this anymore! It's painful."

It's funny.

Robin Hood Morality Test

12 years ago
Cant we learn to get along?

Robin Hood Morality Test

12 years ago

I'm trying to, but apparently I'm getting taunts from my unemotional competition.

Robin Hood Morality Test

12 years ago
"He's taunting me! I just can't handle it! Waaaah"

Give me a break, princess.

Robin Hood Morality Test

12 years ago

When did I say I can't handle it? Cool asked if we could get along, I said I'm trying but you're still taunting me trying me to get into your strange idea of a debate. It's a simple conversation.

Robin Hood Morality Test

12 years ago
No, Cool said that we should get along, and then you quite obviously took a stab at me for whatever reason. I think you're acting like a pre-teen, so I said so.

Robin Hood Morality Test

12 years ago

I didn't take a stab at you, I stated a fact, you just saw it as an insult because you are getting emotional over this. Its no more unforgivable than what you've been saying, probably even less unforgivable.

Robin Hood Morality Test

12 years ago
"Even less unforgivable"

Damn, that's a good statement. You could just say more forgivable, but you do like to create crazy terms don't you?

Nobody is going to read that stated "fact" and think you weren't taking a stab at me. Get real.

Robin Hood Morality Test

12 years ago

And nobody's going to read this whole forum and believe you are really as unemotional as you previously claimed to be, but even if they don't think it was innocent, it was. That is a pretty bad statement though, didn't know how to articulate that part of my post.

Robin Hood Morality Test

12 years ago
Anyone who's seen me debate before will, haha. Ask Zero.

Robin Hood Morality Test

12 years ago

What are you referring to?

Robin Hood Morality Test

12 years ago
how they are starting to get emotional.

Robin Hood Morality Test

12 years ago

Lol, we got emotional a loooooooong time ago :)

Robin Hood Morality Test

12 years ago

Anybody else feel like making a rule that thisisbo and JJJ can't argue anymore. No disrespect to either one of you guys but your blowing up in each others faces.

Robin Hood Morality Test

12 years ago

No offense taken, but I don't see why a rule that can't be enforced should be enacted when we can just be ignored, but I apologize for the disruption. I'm actually pretty thankful 3J isn't really  blowing up, or he could use his admin powers to an unjust effect, but I don't think he's that kind of person.

Robin Hood Morality Test

12 years ago

Well it's an emotional topic. The answer is different for each person. And sometimes anger starts running like water. I say we all just stay civil from now on and use our heads instead of our emotions.

Robin Hood Morality Test

12 years ago
The odd thing is the out of all the conversations going on the religious one is the one that DIDN'T get heated. (Still time though)

Robin Hood Morality Test

12 years ago

And thank you EndMaster for probably jinxing us.

Robin Hood Morality Test

12 years ago

I actually had a little chuckle about that as well, seeing as there has been a lot of questioning of a dominant religion and some blasphemous ideas about the religion. Here's hoping it doesn't get emotional, I don't see it getting emotional from here though.

Robin Hood Morality Test

12 years ago
Nah, I've never been into using admin powers like that. We've had giant arguments over deleting stuff and I've always been radically against it in most cases.

Robin Hood Morality Test

12 years ago

Thank you for using your admin powers for good then JJJ.

Robin Hood Morality Test

12 years ago

Unneeded censorship is never a good idea, but that's an entirely different argument altogether.

Robin Hood Morality Test

12 years ago

But for moral responsibility in a fictional story, internet fights broke out.

Robin Hood Morality Test

12 years ago

Actually, depending on the viewpoint, our discussion on religion could apply to that as well.

Robin Hood Morality Test

12 years ago

True.

Robin Hood Morality Test

12 years ago

Not really, I did'nt see any real emotion during that conversation.

Robin Hood Morality Test

12 years ago

That's not what I meant. We weren't emotional during that conversation. But depending on your viewpoint, it could apply as discussions on moral responsibility in a fictional story.

Robin Hood Morality Test

12 years ago

Well that depends on your religious views.

Robin Hood Morality Test

12 years ago

Which is exactly what I said, "depending on your viewpoint"

Robin Hood Morality Test

12 years ago
Apparently there was an argument on here that I missed a Bo chastised me for not putting this quote up.

"Every man is guilty of all the good he did not do."Voltaire

Happy now bo?

Robin Hood Morality Test

12 years ago

Actually, now that things are finally settled between me and 3J, not as much, but yes I'm happy :)

Robin Hood Morality Test

12 years ago
Good!

Robin Hood Morality Test

12 years ago
That's a dumb quote. I love being guilty of good.

Robin Hood Morality Test

12 years ago
Why is it so dumb? To me it makes perfect sense. If someone falls down on the road and you walk by. You are guilty for not helping them.

Robin Hood Morality Test

12 years ago
Not necessarily. Inaction is a really grey-area for me.

Apparently, when it comes down to it, though, a lot of people will actually choose inaction, rather than helping out someone who needed it. I think there were people somewhere that did tests to see if people would stop and help a girl who was getting abused by her boyfriend/husband in public (not -terribly- abused, but yelled at and slapped, etc). The majority of the people simply kept walking.

I hate that its the way the world is, and I'd like to think that in any situation, I would help if I could, but I'm not sure that'd always be the case.

Robin Hood Morality Test

12 years ago
Well, there are other things. Men generally don't like to get involved because of the idiot hormone called "testosterone" this makes us do stupid things when we are angry. We usually wait till someone says help then its go time. Because at that point we are protected by law as a friendly bystander.

Robin Hood Morality Test

12 years ago
Nah, according to psychology, you're completely wrong, Cool.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bystander_effect

Zikara is right.

Also, go re-read that quote and see what I'm actually replying to ;)

Robin Hood Morality Test

12 years ago
Here's an example that might help you put things into a bit of perspective.

I'm guessing you aren't off in africa devoting every waking moment helping poor children by setting up houses and schools, and a clean water system. You likely haven't spent all of your money except for what you really need to survive in order to send them food, and bug nets, etc.

So are you responsible for the deaths of those you could've helped?

Robin Hood Morality Test

12 years ago
Good point. I believe the quote is speaking more of the street side thing. Not really saying help everyone out. You cant help everyone but you should help the people you can.

Robin Hood Morality Test

12 years ago
Still doesn't make sense. You can help people in Africa therefore if you're not helping them, you're guilty of killing them?

Robin Hood Morality Test

12 years ago
Exactly. You -could- be helping though, I just said how. Go to Africa, work hard to build them shelters and things, and give your money to buy them food, clean water, etc.

Robin Hood Morality Test

12 years ago
Also, if you re-read that quote, it's about as poorly written as can be, which is what I was originally referring to (although I also completely disagree with its substance, which we've since shown). What the quote accuses bystanders of is "being guilty of good." Seems like an alright thing to be guilty of to me.

Robin Hood Morality Test

12 years ago

It said "guilty of all the good he did not do" as in don't say it's not your fault if you didn't to anything to help. I didn't expect it to be a groundbreaking quote that wins the argument or even to take it literally, I just thought it was interesting and could have applied to the argument.

Robin Hood Morality Test

12 years ago
Yes, so think of what it's saying he's guilty of. It's a poorly constructed quote because it can be taken two ways:

1. He's guilty of doing the good he didn't do. Meaning, if you don't do good, you're guilty of being a great person.

2. He's guilty of doing evil because he didn't do good. This is the way it was intended to be, but obviously the quote wasn't written well.

Why the hell didn't the author of the quote simply say: "Every man is guilty of all the evil he does nothing to stop."

See how that's not ridiculously ambiguous?

Robin Hood Morality Test

12 years ago

Robin Hood
Little John
Maid Marion
The Sheriff

You are a moralist with conventional ideas, which some people would call old-fashioned.

Men: You probably consider yourself a fair-minded man in a world which falls badly below your standards. Your inhibitions and sense of guilt are in the way of your happiness.

I don't really agree with it's interpretation but I'll explain why. For starters I'm not saying Robin Hood was good in this scenario and I think every party was at fault. Anyways here I go:

Robin Hood - He was the most honest and truthfully acted like I would have expected him to. Beating Maid Marion wasn't a good idea by any means, but it's not all too unexpected either. The woman cheated on him and then acted like she did nothing wrong at all. Granted it was a lose/lose scenario, but she showed no real signs of remorse or having an attitude like "I didn't want to do it, but it was the only way". For all Robin knew she could have wanted to do this all along and just never had the chance.

Little John - Pretty self explanatory here. He could have comforted Maid Marion as a friend however he choose to take advantage of her and ride away with her. He also betrayed his best friend.

Maid Marion - Probably the most morally gray of all of them. At first it seems she did what she had to in order to save the one she loved. However this act was pretty selfish as she only thought of what she wanted and not what Robin Hood actually wanted. He may have very well preferred to stay in jail over her having to sleep with The Sherrif. Then after Robin Hood abuses her and leaves hers, she jumps right at the next man who offers to take care of her. It wasn't really inaccurate for Robin Hood to call her a slut.

The Sheriff - Did everything wrong he could possibly do. He took advantage of Maid Marion, and let crimals escape. The only redeeming thing he did was keep up his end of the deal. However that involved exchanging sex to free criminals, which is obviously morally wrong.

Since this is about honesty and morality (but tbh most parties were honest anyways so I didn't really count it) I'll explain a bit further.

Robin Hood - Honest, morally wrong

Little John - Dishonest, morally gray

Maid Marion - Honest, morally wrong

The Sheriff - Honest, morally wrong

Robin Hood Morality Test

12 years ago

As for Endmaster's example:

The Madman

The Woman

The Lover

The Friend / The Ferryman / The Baron

The Madman is first because, well obviously he killed her.

The Woman is second because it was her choice to leave. Had she not left she would have never been killed.

The Lover is third because he was the reason The Woman left the castle. 

The Friend could not be blamed at all.

The Ferryman could not be blamed at all.

The Baron could not be blamed at all (unless we are given new evidence that The Woman was forced to marry him, therefore making him the cause of her wanting to leave and finding a lover).

Robin Hood Morality Test

12 years ago
I completely agree with all of what you just said.

Robin Hood Morality Test

12 years ago

Maid Marion Little John The Sheriff Robin Hood

You are essentially a contented person, even if you consider yourself a little superior. You are moral by your own standards, for you believe that morality is what best suits the occasion.

Women: You like being a woman, you understand what love is, and frankly enjoy sex.

Robin Hood Morality Test

12 years ago

No reasosoning?

Robin Hood Morality Test

12 years ago

Nope. Funny, though, the thing for men who chose that was just as accurate.

Robin Hood Morality Test

12 years ago

Accurate....

Right....

Robin Hood Morality Test

12 years ago

Not that either of them is especially accurate.

Robin Hood Morality Test

12 years ago

Your reasonsing matters more than what the results say....I mean the test itself is entirely biased:

Maid Marion, Little John, Robin Hood, The Sheriff

We would expect you to be a happy, well-balanced person who likes people and is liked by others. You question whether many conventional views on morality are valid under all circumstances.

Men: Do we detect a sense of chivalry and idealism under the sophistication?

Women: You will expect high standards from the men to whom you give your love.

This is clearly the authors ideal version of morals, as if you look at the reverse version....

The Sheriff, Robin Hood, Little John, Maid Marion

Although you make a brave show of being self-sufficient, beneath this you are unhappy and rather mixed up.

Men: You don't understand women - probably you are afraid of them. You do not know what love is, and you are more likely to boast about your conquests in a bar than prove them in a bedroom.

Women: If men attract you at all, they probably are the wrong sort.

Just go down the list and you can see how completely biased this test really is. Which is why everyone explained their reasoning.

Robin Hood Morality Test

12 years ago

Well, then: I think Maid Marion was doing the right thing to save the man she loved ( BLECH) and his friend, Little John was maybe taking advantage of her but Robin had been being mean to her, The sheriff let them go after he captured them even though he wasn't supposed to, and Robin Hood was mean to her and abused her for saving him.

Is that good enough?

Robin Hood Morality Test

12 years ago

What no essay long explanation?

For shame!

Robin Hood Morality Test

12 years ago

Yeah, there was a theory going around that the "psychologist" was sexist, but after putting in the exact same details (including checking the first time box) I pretty much figured out that whoever created this was just an asshole haha.

Robin Hood Morality Test

12 years ago

It might not be sexist but it definitely sympathizes with women.

Robin Hood Morality Test

12 years ago
This looked fun so I did it. Here's my list:

Maid Marion
Little John
The Sheriff
Robin Hood

And my reasoning:

The Sheriff abused his position as an officer of the law. His crime against Maid Marion could be considered rape depending upon exactly how he made his proposition to sleep with Maid Marion (if he said "I'll release your boyfriend if you sleep with me" then it would be sexual misconduct or maybe sexual assault if you've got a good lawyer but if he said "have sex with me or your boyfriend will see the hangman's noose!" then it would be rape). So he's a crooked cop and a sleazebag/sexual predator. His only redeeming quality is that he kept his word.

Little John was a criminal. That's why he was put in jail in the first place. So that's a negative mark. But when Robin Hood was insulting and abusing Maid Marion it was Little John who defended her. Standing up for a victim when an injustice occurs, even when the one committing that injustice is a close friend? That takes a lot of guts. Most people let their friends get away with horrible things because they value friendship more than doing the right thing. Little John, in this scenario, does the right thing even if it costs him his best friend.

Robin Hood was a criminal, too, just like Little John. But he also showed no gratitude towards either The Sheriff or to Maid Marion for freeing him from the jail. Instead of a thank you he makes demands of his girlfriend. No matter whether or not he felt that what Maid Marion did was a betrayal or not doesn't give him the right to "abuse" her. Just what does it mean when it says "abuse"? I dunno, but I picture physical violence against her. Maybe sexual violence against her (I mean, when a priest abuses a ten year-old boy your mind immediately goes to sexual abuse; when a boyfriend abuses his girlfriend I immediately go to sexual abuse, too). So Robin Hood is a criminal and abuser who left his girlfriend and his best friend because he couldn't deal with how Maid Marion saved his life. He doesn't really have any redeeming qualities.

Maid Marion tried to free her boyfriend from prison instead of leaving the criminal to rot in there. Instead of using proper channels, though, she instead begged The Sheriff to releasing Robin Hood. So that's a black mark on her record (but a tiny one; who wouldn't try everything to release a loved one?). She was put in a very bad situation when she had to choose sex with The Sheriff or jail for Robin Hood. She made the best of it and freed her boyfriend. When Robin Hood left her she seems to have no place to go (back to The Sheriff? I think not!) so it only made sense for her to go with Little John. After all, he was the only one decent to her in the whole scenario.

So they all have something bad in them. I just ranked them according to their redeeming qualities.

Robin Hood Morality Test

12 years ago

You explain your reasoning well so I have a question.

If Robin had not abused Maid Marion (to which I think he smacked her around a bit and pushed her, as I imagine the events involving the abuse and Little John defending takes place over the course of a few minutes), and instead simply insulted her and said he never wanted to see her again, would your opinion of him change at all? Was the severity of his reaction the reason the rank him so low, or is it simply the fact he reacted the way he did?

Also like to point out Little John didn't thank either the Sheriff or Maid Marion either, so that was kind of a moot point.

Robin Hood Morality Test

12 years ago
My opinion of him would change for the better, yes. But not my ranking of him. I don't see how "not abusing your girlfriend" is a redeeming quality. It should be the standard quality. Not enough to praise or condemn him.

I mean, Robin Hood didn't murder a bus full of nuns in that scenario, either. Do I give him points for that? I think not. So I wouldn't give him a higher rating if he didn't abuse his girlfriend. Not doing a bad thing is expected not rewarded.

Robin Hood Morality Test

12 years ago

That doesn't make sense.

What you're saying (since you said regardless if he beats her or not his ranking wouldn't change) is that you rank him lower than everyone involved soley because he got upset that Maid Marion slept with someone else in order to free him. The fact that he actually hits her (which you focus on originally), in the ends doesn't dictate his ranking to you.

Because that's all Robin did. He didn't lie or cheat or anything along those lines, he got upset. The severity of his actions (the fact he abused her) is the only thing he actually does wrong.

If you take away that I fail to see what Robin did wrong in order for you to rank him so low.

Robin Hood Morality Test

12 years ago
He did more than abuse Maid Marion. He left his best friend, left his girlfriend, and committed whatever crime got him in jail in the first place. He insulted Maid Marion, didn't appreciate the predicament his capture put her in, and wasn't grateful towards her for her part in his release (in fact, he resents her for it!).

He still has a bunch of bad qualities here but no good ones (remember, not abusing his girlfriend isn't a good quality). The Sheriff had a lot of bad qualities, too, but he at least kept his word. He has a tiny sliver of morality in him, however hard it is to see it. So he ranks slightly above Robin Hood.

Robin Hood Morality Test

12 years ago

Actually Robin left Maid Marion, then Little John left with Maid Marion. We have no idea how Robin actually felt towards Little John when he left, but we know that Robin didn't leave his best friend.

Little John and him committed (assumingly) the same crime, so unless you dock that from Little John it doesn't count.

After that it's simply like I said, him being mad. He insulted her because he was mad, and he wasn't grateful because he was mad. I don't think you can count the predicament his capture put her in as anything, as both him and Little John were captured and the three of them were probably well aware that it could happen.

Lack of showing good qualities doesn't make his minor bad qualities worse than the other's major bad qualities.

Robin: Got mad his girlfriend cheated on him, despite it allowing him to be free

The Sheriff: Took sexually advantage of a girl, released two prisoners from jail

You're honestly saying that simply because The Sheriff kept his word that's it makes up for his bad qualities? Robin at no point lied, or took advantage of anyone. Yet you're assuming because he was never given to opportunity to lie or take advantage of someone, that he would?

Robin Hood Morality Test

12 years ago
I have to agree with Killa_Robot here.

If you take out the abuse, -morally- Robin is on the same level as a guy who got cheated on his wife/gf for no reason. I don't think its immoral to be hurt over feeling betrayed, whether or not I think they should feel betrayed. It doesn't make them less moral, it just makes them a bit stupid.

I don't even really consider this honesty thing with the Sheriff even counts for anything. If someone came to my house and kidnapped my daughter and then was like "Have sex with me, and I'll give her back", at the end of it, I'm not going to be like 'Oh, he's not all that bad... I mean, he did actually give her back." He's corrupt and just the situation itself was dishonest and easily outweighs any honesty for me.

Robin Hood Morality Test

12 years ago
Maid Marion didn't cheat on Robin Hood. Cheating is a form of betrayal or infidelity. Just look at the word: cheating. It implies breaking the rules of marriage.

But Maid Marion wasn't unfaithful. She did everything she could to save her boyfriend. That sounds like loyalty to me. That sounds like a woman who would humiliate and belittle herself to free her boyfriend. A betrayal would be to leave Robin Hood to hang. Cheating would be to proclaim her love for him while secretly dating Friar Tuck.

Besides, if you phrase it the way you did, that The Sheriff raped Maid Marion, then that makes it even more obvious that she didn't cheat on Robin Hood.

In that second paragraph you said "oh, he isn't all that bad." I didn't say that The Sheriff wasn't all that bad. I said he was a horrible person. But in this scenario he had one more good quality than Robin Hood. Even without the abuse, Robin Hood is still an ungrateful asshole.

Again, these are my opinions. There are no right or wrong answers (and there are a lot of issues that would factor into my decision that just weren't mentioned in that tiny paragraph). Even so, I'm cool with you thinking the way you do even if I don't agree.

Robin Hood Morality Test

12 years ago

You can't rape the willing.

Cheating implies sleeping with someone who you are not currently in a relationship with, without the consent of your partner (cause you know...swingers exist). It has nothing to do with betrayal as half the time the cheater won't even see it as betraying their partner.

I'm fine with you having your opinion as well. But your reasoning still doesn't make sense. Rather than actually focusing on all the characters in this you're focusing on Maid Marion and how each character treated her. It's more like you're imagining that you're her and then just reacting on how each character is acting towards you, then basing your opinion on that.

Robin Hood Morality Test

12 years ago
Of course you can rape the willing. If The Sheriff said, "Have sex with me or I'll kill your boyfriend," then it is rape. You can willingly have sex with someone and not consent to it.

Or, I dunno, a guy breaks into your house while your kids are playing in the back yard. He says that he's going to have sex with you and if you don't act enthusiastic then he'll go outside and kill your kids. So you have sex with him and act like your enjoying yourself (and hating the fact that you're doing it). That's rape. Just replace "kids in the backyard" to "boyfriend in prison" and you've got something like the Robin Hood situation.

As for putting myself in Maid Marion's shoes, well, she was the "main character" in that very, very short story. She has a character arc (normal girlfriend, faces a crisis, crisis is resolved, story ends) and interacts with every other character. The Sheriff doesn't really interact with Robin Hood and Little John other than throwing them in jail and releasing them. Robin Hood and Little John don't interact until the very end.

Besides, I kinda saw myself as Little John. Good guy, imprisoned by an unjust system, standing up for what's right, getting the girl in the end.

Robin Hood Morality Test

12 years ago

No he didn't....He said you want your boyfriend, have sex with me. COMPLETELY DIFFERENT. She was not forced at all, she choose to, hence you cannot consider it rape. Remember that the two were in jail for a reason (though it's unknown), so it's not as though the Sheriff was using them to lure Maid Marion in.

I find it hard to believe you imagined yourself as Little John, who did nothing wrong according to you, yet still thought Maid Marion was more moral.

Robin Hood Morality Test

12 years ago
Yes, yes. That is what he said in the original scenario. But everyone agreed with my ranking on the original scenario so we aren't talking about it.

Now we're talking about a scenario where Robin Hood wasn't abusive. Why? Ha, because people on this forum like to argue.

But there might be even more changes than that. An early post talked about kidnappers raping a daughter and comparing that to what The Sheriff did. So that's the second change to the scenario, turning The Sheriff into an obvious rapist.

Think of a more modern example. Let's say a judge told a defendant's wife that either she sleep with him or her husband gets the death penalty. He could say "if you want your husband then sleep with me." In the real world that is a crime. Sexual assault if you've got a bad lawyer, rape if you've got a good one. So even if she went through with it she is still the victim.

Anyway. I find it funny that the mistrust in the Continent game spreads over to this thread. You don't believe me when I say that I most identify with Little John? Is ...is there anything I can say that you'll believe? (c:

Robin Hood Morality Test

12 years ago

Guanyin, that depends, what are you willing to do to make us believe you? *hint hint* *wink* rofl

Robin Hood Morality Test

12 years ago

Haha, you find it funny that mistrust spreads, and yet you automatically blame Killa's suspicion on the Continent game, which is completely unrelated, and not his personal beliefs at all?

Robin Hood Morality Test

12 years ago
I don't have any other interaction with him outside of the Continent game (and a bit of the Nation game, too). So most of my opinions of him come from his OOC activities on that game. It isn't the best way to judge people but it's all I've got right now.

Robin Hood Morality Test

12 years ago

Wait, so it's wrong for Killa to judge you because of a game... but it's perfectly fine for you to judge killa? I know you say that it is OOC, but I don't remember a post from him that was OOC in either of those games, and he wasn't very active on the nation game thread, so I'm assuming that you're making your judgements based on what he said on Continent.

Ever hear the saying "The pot calling the kettle black"?

Robin Hood Morality Test

12 years ago

The reason we were talking about him not being abusive was to understand the reasoning behind why you felt he was the least moral of all. If you had said your opinion was going to change then it was directly linked to him abusing her physically. If you didn't change your stance, it means you were more offended at the fact he didn't appreciate what Maid Marion did for him rather than the actions themselves (which would make your opinion incredibly biased towards Maid Marion and well...meaningless).

The other two of the three first paragraphs....I have no idea what you're trying to point out. No one agreed with your rankings, I just acknowledged you actually put some thought into them. I didn't see the kidnappers raping post, but by the sounds of it they made a really shitty comparison.

Yor're modern example is, yet again, completely different than what actually happened. The corrected version would involve the defendant's wife pleading for the judge to free her husband, who in turn would offer to do so under the condition she sleep with him.

This is not rape. The judge is in no way, shape, or form, the cause of her husband being the position he is in. He is simply offering the woman (per her request) a chance to free him.  If I'm not mistaken it would be considered extortion, but certainly not rape.

I find it funny you're narrow-minded enough to think of that connection. I don't trust that you identify with Little John because if you had you would have considered him the most moral of the group. Your actions (technically words) contradicted each other, hence I don't believe you.

Robin Hood Morality Test

12 years ago
The corrected version would involve the defendant's wife pleading for the judge to free her husband

So the difference between rape and extortion is who approached whom? Maid Marion went to The Sheriff to plead for her boyfriend. She didn't go there for sex. The Sheriff could have handled it many ways but he went the way he went. You're saying that because this conversation happened in The Sheriff's office then it is extortion but if The Sheriff went to Maid Marion's house and made the same offer "sex with me or no boyfriend!" it would have been rape? I'm confused as to why who started the conversation determines the type of crime it is.

This is not rape. The judge is in no way, shape, or form, the cause of her husband being the position he is in. He is simply offering the woman (per her request) a chance to free him. The judge doesn't have to be responsible for the husband's position. He could be a passerby on the street telling a scared wife that he won't save her husband (who is dangling from a ledge) unless she takes her top off. ...for example. What matters is not what came before the crime but what is happening during the crime.

Besides, she wasn't requesting sex. She was requesting help. If the judge demanded money then it would have been extortion. If he demanded her kids then it would be kidnapping. If he demanded that she kill her neighbors then it'd be murder for hire. But he demanded sex so it would be rape.

Robin Hood Morality Test

12 years ago

So you ignore the main point and focus on your example, alright then.

Extortion means using your position of power for personal gain. That's quite literally what the Sheriff (or Judge) does. He uses the promise of freeing Robin and Little John as leverage in order to get Maid Marion to sleep with him. The reason it is not rape is because she is not forced to accept it. She could have asked for a different exchange or just flat out refused. Sure she would have had to deal with Robin being in jail, but that's Robin's fault, not the Sheriff's. It doesn't matter if Maid Marion asked or if the Sheriff offered, either way it's extortion.

Again, that is extortion. Regardless of the demands she is not being forced to accept the conditions. She is consenting to preform the act, so it can not be considered rape or sexual assualt.

Robin Hood Morality Test

12 years ago
Not to say anything bad about you in particular, but I find it discouraging that so many people have no idea what rape is.

I can see this conversation going nowhere so I'm going to just drop it.

Robin Hood Morality Test

12 years ago

It's going no where because you keep going in a circle...

If you disagree with what I'm claiming rape to be than it's you who does not know what it is. It doesn't matter if they didn't enjoy it, or even if they didn't want it. If they consent to it then it's not rape (provided the circumstances aren't : agree to sleep with me or die or something along those lines).

Robin Hood Morality Test

12 years ago
(provided the circumstances aren't : agree to sleep with me or die or something along those lines)

But that's exactly the circumstances! "Have sex with me or Robin stays in jail." That is definitely something along the lines of "agree to sleep with me or die."

But you seem to be saying that it isn't rape because The Sheriff isn't responsible for putting Robin Hood in jail. (Aside from the fact that he was the one who captured him and put him in there, The Sheriff is the one with the power to keep or release him.) And you're saying that it isn't rape because Maid Marion approached The Sheriff instead of the other way around.

Robin Hood Morality Test

12 years ago

Those.

Are.

Not.

The.

Same.

Circumstances.

Robin is being put in jail because he did something wrong. You can not hold it against the Sheriff for doing his job (which is what you are doing). If someone points a gun to your head, and demands you do something, you probably have done nothing wrong to deserve it. Making them different.

You're assuming the act of Robin being put into jail is a bad thing, which isn't the case. Robin broke whatever law he did in order to get put into jail, at the end of the day he does deserve to be there.

Robin Hood Morality Test

12 years ago
No, I'm not assuming that. Robin Hood could be the worst criminal in the world. He could be the love child of bin Laden and Hitler who murdered and raped his way across England. That doesn't matter at all. Who Robin Hood is, what he has done, the legality of his imprisonment, are not relevant.

All that matters is that Robin's life is now in The Sheriff's hands. And Maid Marion wants to save Robin Hood (Robin the Saint or Robin the Devil, doesn't matter).

Robin Hood Morality Test

12 years ago

The circumstances do matter. You can't ignore everything else and just say "Robin will be in jail forever unless Maid Marion intervenes. Therefore she is being forced to intervene and accept whatever cruel conditions the Sheriff proposes."

That makes no sense and is incredibly biased towards Maid Marion and what she wants.

Robin Hood Morality Test

12 years ago
I agree with Killa here. Rape is defined as

the unlawful compelling of a person through physical force or duress to have sexual intercourse.
any act of sexual intercourse that is forced upon a person.
statutory rape.
an act of plunder, violent seizure, or abuse; despoliation; violation: the rape of the countryside.
Archaic . the act of seizing and carrying off by force.
verb (used with object)
to force to have sexual intercourse.
to plunder (a place); despoil.
to seize, take, or carry off by force.

What the sheriff did was not rape. It was not forced. It was not statutory. At the most it is as killa said Extortion.

Robin Hood Morality Test

12 years ago

Haha, "You can't rape the willing" is such a stupidly wrong term it's funny, but it's used so often I'm actually concerned for the future.

Where did we come up with the idea that Maid Marion was happy with sleeping with the Sheriff? Granted, it's been a month or two since I read the test, but I don't remember her being happy about it, she simply did it as a way to get her boyfriend out of prison.

Anywho, I never actually thought of envisioning myself as one of them, but I don't actually want to  seeing as that would make me sliglty biased one way or the other. As is, I've changed my opinion after thinking about it for a while, even though I still havn't re-read the test haha. My new judgment, from most morale to least morale, is as follows.

Maid Marion -  I don't really think she did anything that immoral. I mean, yeah, she slept with the sherrif, but her intentions were in the right place the entire time. I mean, Robin may have been pissed afterwords, but would he really be that happy all she was willing to do is say "Hey, can you let my boyfriend outta jail, pretty please? No? OK then." OF course, it really doesn't matter what Robin thinks, but yeah, I think Marion was in the right here.

Little John - The only character flaw that really screamed out at me was betrayal, but without a proper definition of "abused", I'm gonna assume he witnessed Robin smacking Marion around (after all, this was back when females were considered second hand citizens) and, after already having feelings for the girl, ran off with her to start their own new life. The only reason he's in second is because, in my eyes, while Marion purely did it thinking she was doing the right thing, John had to know he was stealing his best friend's girl, so he knew was doing something in a morally grey area and still went with it. I agree with it, but that's still a factor.

Robin Hood - Robin... Robin got angry. Yeah, he treated Marion badly, and yeah, he should have been appreciative, but I think he was just angry and maybe had a little blow to the ego as well. I mean, picture the great Robin Hood, the man of the people, the one who's constantly fighting the aristocracy in order to better the commonfolk, and now he was caught and had to be saved by a woman (Once again, I think this is his view and at the time females were second class citizens, this isn't my view at all). Well, I would say that he's at least a little embarrassed, and that would make a man like him pissed, and think about it, how many times have any of us been publicly embarrassed, and then snapped at someone close to us for no good reason? I know I did it at least twice.

The Sherriff of Nottingham - In my eyes, the Sherriff was by far the worst one here morally. I mean he accepted the job presumably because he wanted to uphold the law (Unfortunately a good history wasn't provided) and spent a good part of his career chasing after Robin if the tales hold true. However, when he finally gets the criminal in his prison, what does he do? He allows corruption to sneak in and rapes a young woman in exchange to release two HUGE government prisoners (I'd imagine someone who steals from influential people as much as they do  would get a lot of attention.). So in short, he is obviously morally corrupt, and while the others are justifiable, this guy simply let go of all morals and proffesionality (is that a word?) in order to satisfy his own selfish needs.

Robin Hood Morality Test

12 years ago

Second class citizens* Not second hand citizens haha, that sounds silly.

Robin Hood Morality Test

12 years ago

That depends Bo. Let us say that your girlfriend and yourself are having sex for the first time, she says it hurts, yet she is a willing participant, does that mean you rape her because she is not happy about having sex? Or we can look at another scenario, what if she isn't a vrigin, and she is still unhappy about sex, but obligated to because you 'did something nice' for her? Isn't that similar to bribery or threaten since you would be unhappy if she didn't?

Robin Hood Morality Test

12 years ago

How does that pertain to the scenario, or even what I said? I honestly don't get it.

Robin Hood Morality Test

12 years ago

It pertains to your opinion of "you can't rape the willing". You don't have to be dense to wrap your head around it.

Robin Hood Morality Test

12 years ago

That's why we put quotes around what we are responding to. For all I knew you were talking about Maid Marionor or Robin Hood, there was a lot of information up there that you could have responded to.

Anywho, "You can't rape the willing" is false simply because you can still be convicted of rape. Especially if you're either forcing it (a lot of rapists think that the women enjoyed it or even wanted it, it's a weird thing in their psyche) or demanding it in exchange for something else. Then of course there's stachatory rape, but I think most people know about that one

Robin Hood Morality Test

12 years ago

You mean "statutory rape"? What does that have anything to do with what I said? And secondly, what the hell are you talking about? We're like in the crusade years when Robin Hood stories took place, you really think rape wasn't common? And what, you can be prosecuted for it, at that time? Unless Marion was a noble, and robin a commoner, I find it unlikely. And thirdly, demanding it for something else is not rape when the benefits are mutual. Unless we're talking about threatening which leads to my previous post.

Robin Hood Morality Test

12 years ago

When have I said that rape wasn't common? However, rape being common does not mean that it's not rape. Hopefully, most humans know rape is immoral.

Marion was obviously forced to make her decision through coercion, which means she's being threatened into rape.

What I think you're arguing here is that the Sheriff should be prosecuted for rape based on the standards from that time period. However, what we're arguing is whether or not Marion was raped, which by today's standards is horribly wrong. I mean, if you want to base your decisions on what people believed in the past, I'm not gonna stop you, but when the quiz is asking me on who I think is immoral, then yeah, I'm gonna say that the rapist is immoral.

Robin Hood Morality Test

12 years ago

Sadly rape is a very lousy used word. To most people it simply means the woman did not actually want to have sex (as yes I mean woman not man, I doubt any of you picture a man when you think of rape).

Care to explain why "You can't rape the willing" is such a stupidly wrong term it's funny? I don't agree 100% with the term, but it's not nearly as inaccurate as you portray it to be.

Robin Hood Morality Test

12 years ago
Why was this brought up agian? I thought we were done with this conversation?

Robin Hood Morality Test

12 years ago

Well...we are a growing community, and even if the base members have their say in opinion, our new members can still has a voice....or a keyboard in this case.

Robin Hood Morality Test

12 years ago
Yeah but then they might actually feel empowered and we can't have that.

Robin Hood Morality Test

12 years ago

NONE CAN STOP ME AND ALL SHALL BOW IN MY GLORY.

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

Robin Hood Morality Test

12 years ago
Dang it. It has already started we must crush this quickly.

Robin Hood Morality Test

12 years ago

Go to my members page and look at the join date.

WHOSE THE NEW GUY NOW HUH?

Robin Hood Morality Test

12 years ago
I am but I not new to the forums. You are so HA there. (Really all Caps Rage?)

Robin Hood Morality Test

12 years ago

Haha, why don't you tell me why it's accurate? Giving conseant isn't the same thing being williing

Robin Hood Morality Test

12 years ago
You know, technically, it never really said that the Sheriff and Marion even had sex, he just said "Spend the night with me."

As I've mentioned before, for all we know he wanted Marion to spend the night because he has no friends and he wanted her to play some Xbox game with him so he could get the Co-op achievements.

If that was indeed the case, then Robin REALLY overreacted to the situation after she told him.

Robin Hood Morality Test

12 years ago
Lol. I had to re-read Killa's comment during his debate with Guanyin. I thought for a moment he said "You can't rape the living."

Robin Hood Morality Test

12 years ago

Wait, can you be prosecuted for raping the dead? ;p

Robin Hood Morality Test

12 years ago
Well if you get caught, you can get charged with a misdemeanor. I think the punishment might even be a felony in other states, then they also usually tack on other crimes like trespassing, vandalism (breaking into the coffin, etc) just to make sure they get you for something.

Of course if you're having sex with a corpse and it objects to your advances, then you've probably got other things to worry about, though you probably won't be worrying about them for too much longer.

Robin Hood Morality Test

12 years ago
Pleading for insanity might be a solid bet, if anyone gets charged for raping a corpse.

Robin Hood Morality Test

12 years ago

Of course it is. If you give consent then you're willing to have sex with them. It doesn't mean you actually want to though.

@ EndMaster - Lol you're right. Maybe they played xbox all night, had pillow fights, and then when she told Robin hood he was so jealous that he couldn't play xbox or have a pillow fight with them that he raged.

Robin Hood Morality Test

12 years ago
Yeah but still doesn't make it rape.

Robin Hood Morality Test

12 years ago

I'm arguing that point....

Pay attention cool.

Robin Hood Morality Test

12 years ago
Sorry Killa. I am not sure who is auguring what right now.

Robin Hood Morality Test

12 years ago

I agree the format of these forums is very confusing at times.

Robin Hood Morality Test

12 years ago
Could you maybe give me a brief rundown of who is auguring what?

Robin Hood Morality Test

12 years ago

Me and Edrudite were arguing with Bo about the proper definition of rape. He has stated his stance but has yet to really aruge anything.

Before Me and Guaynin were arguing over why if you remove the abuse, Robin was still the least moral of everyone. I was arguing against it and she for it. You can determine for yourself what happened in that argument. At an earlier point Ziraka came in and supported my side but hasn't responded again (though no new points were really raised since).

Both Guaynin and Bo seem to think that Maid Marion was raped by the Sheriff in this.

And EndMaster thinks they just chilled and played Xbox.

Robin Hood Morality Test

12 years ago
Well I stand with you on all issues.

Robin Hood Morality Test

12 years ago

Sorry dude, mix of computer problems and better things to do then wait for my internet to come back up haha. I'm just saying that you can still rape someone even if they want the sex, because wanting is not the same as giving consent.

Say that there is a woman who is unhappilly married, yet honors the institution of marriage and has a few kids, so she wouldn't get a divorce or cheat on her husband (it happens). Well, she meets a guy who she finds attractive, and that plus the fact that she can't stand her current husband means she would actually lust for the man, but even though she may want the sex, it doesn't mean that she would actually go ahead and do it. Well, it just turns out that this dude is a psycho and breaks into her house while her husband is away and offers her a choice: let him kill her family (and thus torture her for turning him down), or let him sleep with her against her will. Obviously, she chooses the sex to save her family, but even though she was given a choice, does that mean he didn't actually force himself upon her? I would agree with Guanyin here and say that it's sexual assault, if not rape.

So sorry for the delay, but there's my argument.

Robin Hood Morality Test

12 years ago
I agree with Killa here. Rape is defined as

the unlawful compelling of a person through physical force or duress to have sexual intercourse.
any act of sexual intercourse that is forced upon a person.
statutory rape.
an act of plunder, violent seizure, or abuse; despoliation; violation: the rape of the countryside.
Archaic . the act of seizing and carrying off by force.
verb (used with object)
to force to have sexual intercourse.
to plunder (a place); despoil.
to seize, take, or carry off by force.

What the sheriff did was not rape. It was not forced. It was not statutory. At the most it is as killa said Extortion.

Sorry bo official definition.

Robin Hood Morality Test

12 years ago
The Sheriff certainly did #1 on that list. The duress comes in the form of his power over Robin Hood. He would punish Robin (by keeping him in jail) unless Main Marion had sex with him. In other words, The Sheriff said "do this or I'll hurt your loved one."

Also, your official definition irks me. The first part says "unlawful compelling." The law may say it is perfectly legal to force yourself upon another person (the way it used to be that it was legal to have sex with your wife even without her consent) but it is still rape.

Robin Hood Morality Test

12 years ago
No, she was not put under physical harm or duress. Or at least is was not distressed in the story.

Robin Hood Morality Test

12 years ago
So you're saying that threatening a loved one doesn't count as duress?

Robin Hood Morality Test

12 years ago
I am saying I think she offered and he was not threatening. He was being factual. You do this for me I do this for you. Robin would have been in jail any way.

Robin Hood Morality Test

12 years ago
It is possible to be a polite, factual rapist. He doesn't have to act horrible to be threatening. He just has to threaten.

And you're right that Robin would have been in jail any way. That's the point. The Sheriff can free him or keep him in jail. The choice is his to make. So he threatens to choose to keep Robin in jail.

Besides, she didn't offer to have sex with him. She went to beg for Robin's release. She offered nothing but then was made to choose between The Sheriff or Robin Hood.

Robin Hood Morality Test

12 years ago
I think of it as a business deal more then rape like Killa said Extortion.

Robin Hood Morality Test

12 years ago
Would it still have been a business deal if The Sheriff refused to release Robin Hood afterwards?

Robin Hood Morality Test

12 years ago

He wouldn't punish Robin unless she slept with him, Robin being punished was a seperate issue.

Robin Hood Morality Test

12 years ago
Robin was being punished right up until that moment. That up-until-now punishment is a separate issue. But as soon as The Sheriff got it in his head that he can free Robin or continue the punishment then it became another issue entirely. Robin's future imprisonment is now a threat. It would have continued had Maid Marion done nothing, sure. But once the offer for sex is made then all the future of Robin's jail time is now a threat used against Maid Marion.

Before that moment, his imprisonment was his own fault. After that moment, it was both his own fault as well as leverage to force Maid Marion to have sex without her consent.

Robin Hood Morality Test

12 years ago

I really like both of your arguments here, but I'm gonna say Guanyin did just a bit better, but here's just a few points I'd like to make, guanyin probably mentioned a few before, but I'm gonna restate it.

1. The sherriff was obviously using durress during the conversation by giving Marion a simple choice: sleep with me or he stays in jail. Plus, I would guess that with all the wealthy and influential peopel Robin robbed, he'd be facing death as well because I vaguely remember older English government being corrupted by the nobles. But since you like definitions, here you go:

"Coercion illegally applied" That was the first one I came across, but I don't like it, so here's another, "compulsion by use of force or threat; constraint; coercion (often in the phrase under duress)"

So there you go, she was coerced (you can look up that word on your own if you want, I'm not gonna do it, but most people know the meaning of that word) by being told "Hey, if you don't sleep with me, your boyfriend is gonna rot.", which is obviously a threat used to forceher decision. Since it falls under the first definition, then yes, it's rape.

2. it doesn't really matter if the dude is being mean, the obvious fact of her boyfriend's jailtime (and likely life) is on her hand, will put her under a lot of stress, and she was probably "distressed"

3. Alright, if I walk up to a woman right now, and say in a cheery voice "hey, either you're gonna sleep with me right now, or I'll kill your husband" I'm being very factual, and if by "threatening" you mean taking a threatening tone, then no, I'm not threatening. If by "threatening" you mean I'm making an actual threat by saying that her husband is going to die if she doesn't, then that's the same as the Sheriff saying that Robin will be jailed if she doesn't, then he's being factual and threatening at the same time. Which falls under the 1st definition, making it rape.

4. Why would it being in a business-like atmosphere make it any less of a rape? From the dramatizations and movies of the Itallian mob, even their murders are business-like, does this make it any less of a murder? The point is that it doesn't matter how polite you are, you're still left with a dead body, or a raped body in this case.

Robin Hood Morality Test

12 years ago

Well of course you agree with Guanyin. You were arguing the same thing she was. I would be surprised if you didn't agree with her.

Neither of you seem to understand what the circumstances actually were, as both of you have made examples that are clearly completely different and called them similiar. I've already explained why so read back. If you still don't understand then we really can't discuss it much further. I'm not going to continue to repeat the same things over and over again.

Robin Hood Morality Test

12 years ago

Oh sorry, I forgot that we were making different circumstances. I mean, it's not possible that two events could be related in some way.

Oh, and what did you do to question Guanyin's ranking of Robin? You said something along the lines of "What would you do if Robin wasn't in jail?" or something like that, unfortunately I can't find it, but I'll keep looking. Anywho, as far as I can tell, you just twist the circumstances to serve what you want, then complain when others use examples that may not be related to the exact subject. But fine, tell me where I misunderstood the circumstances, and then tell me how they don't relate to the actual circumstances. You won't find much haha, and you're the one who obviously can't comprehend two like circumstances. Now, guess how judges make decisions on how to punish criminals. They look at like cases, and use that, just like we're using like cases to base our judgements.

Oh, and since 3J isn't here, I'll do the honors. "Well, you're obviously wrong! I'm not gonna say how or why, but YOU'RE WRONG!"

Robin Hood Morality Test

12 years ago

Oh, here we go. "If Robin had not abused Maid Marion ... and instead simply insulted her and said he never wanted to see her again, would your opinion of him change at all" -Killa_Robot

You see, while Guanyin and I use other  scenarios with the same circumstances  to make you question "Hmm... if I agree that this is rape, but this isn't rape, and they're doing the same thing, maybe I'm a bit biased...", you simply take the same scenario, and then mutilate the circumstances completely different. Yes, beating your girlfriend/wife is far worse than  simply insulting her, but seeing as that isn't the case it doesn't mater at all.

You see, when Guanyin and I do it, it's simply a different scenario, and the same circumstances despite how you say they're different, while when you make others question what they think, you take the same scenario and change the circumstances.

Robin Hood Morality Test

12 years ago

I spent longer on my first post than I thought....anyways I'll explain more further down.

Robin Hood Morality Test

12 years ago

They aren't related, that's what I've been saying this whole time. You're twisting the variables of the scenarios to create two almost completely different ones.

You're getting really ahead of yourself....acting like I've decided I've lost and am trying to back away. Here's my post which started the back and forth with Guanyin:

"You explain your reasoning well so I have a question.

If Robin had not abused Maid Marion (to which I think he smacked her around a bit and pushed her, as I imagine the events involving the abuse and Little John defending takes place over the course of a few minutes), and instead simply insulted her and said he never wanted to see her again, would your opinion of him change at all? Was the severity of his reaction the reason the rank him so low, or is it simply the fact he reacted the way he did?"

It had nothing to do at all with Robin not being in jail. I didn't question her reason for Robin's ranking (as I pretty much knew already why), I brought up a "what if" scenario in order to see if the reason I thought she ranked him was in fact the reason she did (and it was). I didn't actually twist it, I altered it. The difference being every core aspect of the scenario was the same, except for one of the outcomes. There's a difference and I'll explain a bit now, since apparently your ability to read previous posts is....well terrible.

So first I'll tell you the original scenario, then compare it the modified version you two produced. I'll then do another comparison to each the normal version and your modified version in order to further try to explain to you. Since this will take a bit, I'll do it in my following post. I don't really like doing super massive posts.

Robin Hood Morality Test

12 years ago

So....here we go. First we will start with the original:

"The Sheriff of Nottingham captured Little John and Robin Hood and imprisoned them in his maximum-security dungeon. Maid Marion begged the Sheriff for their release, pleading her love for Robin. The Sheriff agreed to release them only if Maid Marion spent the night with him. To this she agreed. The next morning the Sheriff released his prisoners. Robin at once demanded that Marion tell him how she persuaded the Sheriff to let them go free. Marion confessed the truth, and was bewildered when Robin abused her, called her a slut, and said that he never wanted to see her again. At this Little John defended her, inviting her to leave Sherwood with him and promising lifelong devotion. She accepted and they rode away together."

So the events are, in order:

- Sheriff captures and imprisons Little John and Robin Hood

- Maid Marion begs the Sheriff for their release, due to her loving Robin

- Sheriff agrees, under the condition she spends the night with him (AKA sex)

- Marion Agrees

- Sheriff releases prisoners next morning

- Robin demands to know how they were released

- Marion explains

- Robin gets pissed off, insults her, beats her, never wants to see her again

- Little John defends her (not sure if her intervenes or just sticks up for her)

- Little John invites her to run away with him, promising lifelong devotion

- Marion agrees and the leave, living happily ever after

Now, you'll notice the top 5 events are bolded. These are the ones that have to do with the whole "Rape" argument. The key points are as followed:

A - Little John and Robin Hood were capture BEFORE any contact was made between Maid Marion and the Sheriff

B - Maid Marion asks for a favour from the Sheriff

C - Sheriff agrees under the condition they spend the night together

D - Marion Agrees

So now let's compare that to one of your examples, Guanyin's first example:

"Or, I dunno, a guy breaks into your house while your kids are playing in the back yard. He says that he's going to have sex with you and if you don't act enthusiastic then he'll go outside and kill your kids. So you have sex with him and act like your enjoying yourself (and hating the fact that you're doing it). That's rape. Just replace "kids in the backyard" to "boyfriend in prison" and you've got something like the Robin Hood situation."

So she really didn't go into detail in how it all played out, neither of you actually produced a real example (how shocking....) so let's try and work with it.

A - Man breaks into women's house

B - Demands sex else he will murder children

So....I see what you mean. Those two are most definitely along the same lin- Oh wait no they're not. They're quite different. I am utterly shocked at this brand new piece of information.

For starters, Little John and Robin are in jail for a crime. Marion has nothing to do with that. Marion could have just walked away and left them to their fate, and it would not have been her fault. The women in the second example however, could not. Her children had done nothing wrong to deserve to die, and if she had done nothing they would have died and she would have felt responsible for it for the rest of her life.

So quick comparison - Robin had done something wrong to be in his position, the children had not.

Next, the option. Marion has THE OPTION to say yes or no to the Sheriff's proposal. Nothing new will happen if she refuses. The Sheriff won't sentence the two to death and he won't increase their sentence. If she says no, she will lose nothing she hasn't already lost. The mother is different. Her kids are still alive when the choice is made. If she says yes she get's raped (yes it's rape in this case), and if she get's no she loses her kids.

Now for why the women being raped. It's rape because she does not gain anything, at all. She is not having sex in exchange for something better to happen, she is having it to prevent something bad. Maid Marion is different. Like I said, she will not lost anything she hasn't already lost if she says no. She's not having sex to prevent a lose, she is having sex to gain something.

On second though another two options is a lot of work. So this will have to do.

Robin Hood Morality Test

12 years ago
So Maid Marion is more like a prostitute. Robin is the pimp and the sheriff is the customer.

Robin Hood Morality Test

12 years ago

Not really. She sold her body to gain something but I wouldn't really label them like that.