Non-threaded

Forums » The Parlor Room » Read Thread

Questions about a storygame? Thoughts on Eternal? Any other IF you're playing out there?

Time Travel Game Recommendations

4 years ago

Hi, all. I'm hoping to play a time travel storygame. I've seen a few, but the time travel is more within the persons life, as opposed to general time travel through history. Preferably a game in which you can go to multiple points in history, kind of like in the Back To The Future Trilogy, but lf not, something akin to Outlander will do. I haven't been able to find any on this or any other site.

4 years ago

If you're into buying old things off Amazon or Ebay, there was an entire series of Time Machine gamebooks in the 80s. Each one set you off on a specific mission: find the last living dinosaur, find the musket that fired the first shot in the American Revolution, learn who the Red Baron really was, find Panch Villa's death mask. Each one had you bouncing around in time gathering clues, until finally the mission was completed.

As I recall, there were about 25 books in the series, but to my knowledge it was never reprinted.

4 years ago

Oh, yeah. I think that is a spin-off of Choose Your Own Adventure. I was kind of hoping to play something online though, as lt could be a while before I would be able to buy anything. I'm a bit disappointed that noone has thought of this.

4 years ago
A plot like you describe would be a pretty ambitious undertaking, and we've only got a handful of authors in the habit of writing epics. There have been several times people have come looking for a particular style of game we just don't happen to have had anyone interested in writing yet, and sometimes the only answer there is to roll up your sleeves and make something to fill that niche yourself. Although, if you're up for a bit of a learning curve, there's a parser IF game (the ones where you type commands to look at things and interact with objects) called The Hours that starts off with you as a time traveler helping pull off a heist in the Library of Alexandria.

4 years ago
19 more IF games. It doesn't distinguish between historical vs personal, but you should be able to get an idea of what would interest you just from the descriptions. (Jigsaw is a big one that I really should've thought of because it might be exactly what you're looking for....and no, it has no relation to the Saw series. It predates it by almost ten years.)

4 years ago

Hi, thank you for the in-depth response.  don't have a computer at the moment, so I doubt IF games would work. I would like to start one, in fact, I just recently came up with some good ideas. It could be awhile before I'd be able to start working on lt though. Jigsaw seems like what I'm looking for, I'll check that out.

4 years ago

Actually, scratch that. I just tried The Hours & lt works fine. I thought at first that you were talking about DOS games.

4 years ago

I'm trying to play Jigsaw. Maybe I'm just a dumbass, but the game keeps ending uneventfully. I walk around, pick things up, examine them, walk around some more. The clock strikes 12 & I, 'succumb to the party', then the game ends. It's a critically acclaimed game, so I must be doing something wrong.

4 years ago
I'll be honest, it's really not ideal to play these kinds of games on a phone. Especially one as big as Jigsaw. But, on the IFDB listing for the game there's couple of walkthroughs with the downloadable files, if you're really stumped and really determined to see it through. I'd recommend reading it carefully and only a bit at a time as needed so as not to spoil too much.

4 years ago
While not on here, Paradox Factor on Hosted Games is a great time travel choice game. 99 cents on Google Play and the App Store. ... Jesus Christ, I sound like a paid advertisement. There's also Through Time, which I haven't read, but also contains time travel. There's probably other, lesser games out there that are similar to what you're looking for but those two are what I think most people would suggest. If you don't mind digging up a copy on Amazon or scrawling the web for a PDF there's also The Cave of Time, the first of the CYOA line and my own personal favorite.

4 years ago

Through Time I came across, but like I said, that's more within the confines of the protagonists life. I want to travell through history. I actually do own The Cave Of Time & you just made Me want to play lt.

4 years ago
Oh, wait, I completely misinterpreted what you meant lol. I thought you meant that you wanted a game like that. Yeah, sorry, not sure of any good time travel games on this site. Might want to avoid Paradox Factor as well as that's also of the "through the protagonist's life" sort of time travel story (though a damn great one of those types of stories as well).

4 years ago

Seems interesting. I have nothing against that specific category, I was just mainly looking for something like The Cave Of Time.

4 years ago

I had an idea for a story like this in high school that I started writing on paper back then. I found it the other day looking for my old poetry (which I did not find). Perhaps I can transfer it to this site and update it...

This would be like sometime next year with everything I have planned now. It also is based on just American history--Specifically the civil war. Making a game where you can travel to many different times would be crazy to write.

4 years ago

That's true. I'd be interested to play lt. If you can remember, shoot Me a message after you upload lt.

4 years ago

Will do, if it ever gets done (lol).

4 years ago

Sorry to bump this thread after so many days inactive, but I am writing a time travel story. It is not the one I talked about, and it is also not a 400,000 word epic that explains a theory on how to time travel. It simply is a game in which the main character time travels to time periods before his lifespan. Note also that the story is more about the main character meeting authors in the past than it is about the time period itself. Hoping to release sometime near the beginning of next month...

4 years ago
Folks, this is going to be a fun one from what's been said in the Discord and he's been making steady progress on it.