Non-threaded

Forums » Writing Workshop » Read Thread

Find proofreaders here, useful resources, and share opinions and advice on story crafting.

Long descriptions?

2 years ago

What all is your opinions on story games with long descriptions? 

Long descriptions?

2 years ago
What do you mean by long?

Long descriptions?

2 years ago
They're too long

Long descriptions?

2 years ago
The story games or the descriptions?

Long descriptions?

2 years ago

Indifferent.

Long descriptions?

2 years ago
Meh, what's your opinion on story games with lots of words?

Long descriptions?

2 years ago
They have too many words

Long descriptions?

2 years ago
They're boring but also too short. I died in three pages!

Long descriptions?

2 years ago
I do not like this game as i found it too repetitive and it was quite boring, please improve.

Long descriptions?

2 years ago

Just depends on the writer's style for me. Some authors can make long descriptions flow easily, and some make them a hassle to read. 

Long descriptions?

2 years ago
Guess you answered your own question, all depends on whether or not you write gud

Long descriptions?

2 years ago
I mean the purpose of the description is to catch the reader's interest, in all likelihood it's being loaded up with a bunch of things that are unnecessary if it's really really long. That would be the point where it becomes counterproductive, but it's not really tied to a specific word count.

And I'm still not sure what you mean by 'long'. Three paragraphs? 1000 words?

Long descriptions?

2 years ago
If I were him I wouldn't be worried about the description at this point anyway. Unless it benefits him in some way, then the length doesn't matter. I'm not sure if he's fishing for feedback, advice, or something else. But I wish he'd be more specific and/or ask the question(s) he actually means to ask.

Long descriptions?

2 years ago
Yeah I admit I don't really see a point to this thread (and I'm not sure what that remark in his profile is about) but people are posting so I'm just rolling with it.

Long descriptions?

2 years ago
There wasn't really any point to his other thread either. I thought about being helpful, but I feel like the effort would've been wasted on him. Lol, the passive-aggressive comment part was probably about me. I think the rest of it is just trying too hard to be edgy or something. Seems like he's a kid (no older than sixteen if I'm being generous), so that probably contributes too.

Long descriptions?

2 years ago

I was just looking to be relatable to someone else, it's nice to meet someone you can relate with. I'll rephrase, when I say long descriptions I mean it literally. Are long story descriptions, hooks, anything of interest on this site? I don't see many stories other than Endmaster who take the time to carve up a background, rather most just jump right into the meat and bone. Also, assuming one's age doesn't always make them edgy or freakish. I've met some sixteen year olds in Scotland who're already apprentices for big corp businesses making more money than coal humpers do. 

Long descriptions?

2 years ago
In general I'd say it's better to work world info into the story itself rather than hit the reader in the face with infodumps about things they don't have any reason to care about yet.

There are exceptions to every rule, but you need a certain level of talent and confidence to pull that off. The fact you're wringing your hands and needing input from others even before you get to the point of starting the game tells me you're not there yet. (I bet you're not one of those apprentice kids with rich parents either, shame on you.)

Long descriptions?

2 years ago

(I wish :v{ college without debt would be a dream) 

I actually have a small collection of pieces I've written that I refer to every once in awhile. I've always wanted to flesh out the protagonist's world, but kinda difficult when he's only there for what seems like a fraction of the story. I get what you're saying about info dumps. Exposition isn't really my thing. 

Really I'm just posting to get into the community. I've had like one or two accounts from 2020 where I scrolled the forums casually without posting anything. 

Long descriptions?

2 years ago

How to gain status: rate a bunch of stories, write a couple good reviews. Posting before you have done that actually makes you less reputable, since you can very well just be a troll (you can still be a troll after doing some good reviews, but in that case the only person you've trolled is yourself).

Long descriptions?

2 years ago
Yep, the single most valuable thing anyone can do on the site is read stories and leave behind visible evidence for the authors that you have done that. By incredible fortune that's also one of the easier things to do.

Long descriptions?

2 years ago
Do you live in Scotland?

Long descriptions?

2 years ago

no but I go there every other year for the Highland games, Glascow is really beautiful. 

Long descriptions?

2 years ago
I just passed this on to someone in Glasgow, and I think you broke his brain. I gathered that he strongly disagreed you, but suppose it could also just be the fumes from all the hobo piss getting to him, or maybe he got distracted being stabbed by a methhead or something. It happens.

Long descriptions?

2 years ago

I've learned that talking to the native people of the British Isle is not exactly the brightest of ideas. 

Long descriptions?

2 years ago
Fine, here's some advice. Relating and being relatable to others takes time and effort. If you want to talk about the craft of writing, put in the effort and stop making threads that belong in the comments section of a YouTube video about writing novels. You could've pasted your game's description in the OP and asked for feedback and advice to make it better. You would've benefitted from doing so a hell of a lot more than you are now. Instead, you chose to ask a vague, meaningless question. Twice. You've got a lot to learn, and so far, I don't believe you have the desire to do so. And before I forget:
  • Thanks for clarifying that long descriptions isn't a euphemism for dicks like I assumed it was.
  • I'm glad you don't think I'm edgy or freakish for assuming your age. Of course, you could be telling me I'm not edgy or freakish for assuming my own age.
  • And there's nothing quite like disdain for 'coal humpers' and the lesser folk, is there?

Long descriptions?

2 years ago

Thanks for all the feedback, I only have one more question. Does CYS have a block button or something similar? 

Long descriptions?

2 years ago
Lol, fag.

Long descriptions?

2 years ago

;) 

Long descriptions?

2 years ago

Maybe Choice of Gaymes would be more up your speed. 

Long descriptions?

2 years ago

that's the only game I rated an 8, deserves to be a 8.0 rating 

Long descriptions?

2 years ago

Out of all of the two games you've rated on this site (at least at the time of this post) neither of them were given an 8 rating. 

Long descriptions?

2 years ago

It's the thought that matters 

Long descriptions?

2 years ago
You're welcome! Unfortunately for you, the block button is only available to the mods. I'm sorry you aren't having as much fun as I am. :(

Long descriptions?

2 years ago

Shame. Still, I'm glad to have been of service to you.

Long descriptions?

2 years ago
Since I'm such a kind person, I'll give you a final bit of advice. If you're too lazy to look for or can't find a block button anywhere, don't ask if there is one. Blocking is a sign of weakness and an admission of defeat. At any point in our little exchange, you could've chosen to not reply to me. Anything would've been better than asking if there's a block button.

Long descriptions?

2 years ago

If we ever install a block button it's going to do nothing but automatically dock 100 points and leave that message.

Long descriptions?

2 years ago
Yes. We need this. A lot.

Long descriptions?

2 years ago
May I suggest those points go to the person being blocked?

Long descriptions?

2 years ago
It's not fair to give Ford so many points.

Long descriptions?

2 years ago

In my case 700ish, but yeah. I'll keep this in mind next time. 

Long descriptions?

2 years ago
I never read anything longer than sixteen words.

Long descriptions?

2 years ago
The writing guidelines I'm currently under don't allow sentences that long. Fifteen words is the longest permitted sentence to standard.

Long descriptions?

2 years ago

You're not the same Joe who was asking me how to get with Alison in Eternal are you?

https://chooseyourstory.com/Member/?Username=Joe5665

Long descriptions?

2 years ago

No haha, 

but now that you mention it. . .