The Secret of Daphne

a Horror by simplesabley

Commended by EndMaster on 7/28/2019 5:27:38 AM

Player Rating6.92/8

"#15 overall, #5 for 2012"
based on 944 ratings since 10/01/2012
played 24,353 times (finished 1,001)

"wade in shark infested water"

"It'll be a while, better grab a SnickersĀ®"

"anything goes"
Some material may be inappropriate for persons under age 18. If this were a movie, it would probably be R.

When a young family moves into the sleepy little town of Daphne, they find themselves in a virtual utopia. The small cottage they move into is lovely, but not so old that it has problems. The people are all friendly, a close knit town with a population of only 300. Both of the family's daughters begin to make friends in their new school and the husband and wife find themselves entranced with the romantic scenery.
But, if something is too good to be true, it probably is.

Disclaimer:

Graphic Violence

Drug Reference

Sexual Reference

Special Thanks:

BerkaZerka & Aman

For their invaluable feedback and help in the making of this game.

Update 1:

Fixed minor script issues

Update 2:

Fixed minor spelling/grammar errors

I loved the game. Hunting for all of the items was a lot of fun, while the nightmares were simply disgusting. I literally felt like puking during some of the sequnces.
While there were some errors grammatically (and a small bug with the code) I never felt hindered by them, and I was swept into the story, often thinking that the whole thing was happening to me. (and I'm one of those people who find it hard to become the protagonist when she's female)
The item usage was good, and it really hid a bunch of stuff. While the salvation ending was great, I actually enjoyed exile more for some odd reason. That shows that the story is enjoyable for any group, and the good endings are definitely worth playing again. (And the bad endings are certainly worth playing through.) The rating I gave it is 8/8.
-- Aman on 9/30/2012 1:08:32 AM with a score of 1000
I thoroughly enjoyed it. Some of the pages ended up in a sort of jumbled order at times, you went back and forth with past/present tense once or twice, and some links seemed to be restricted for no reason, but overall I thought it was a great storygame.

I gave it a 8/8, and got the best score (finding all the evidence and getting the best ending). Though, I think I'll go back and get a bad ending or two, since others seem to be saying they were pretty gruesome.

I also laughed harder than I should have when you scream obscenities at your 4 year old sister.
-- Killa_Robot on 9/28/2012 9:47:30 PM with a score of 1000
This story serves up a nice slice of the creeps! It's well written with an engaging story and a decent amount of items and secrets to keep you snooping through the entire time. It also incorporates a very creative timetable of events that runs in the background - and will run right over you if you don't keep up! I look forward to even more great stories from simplesabley in the future =)
-- BerkaZerka on 9/28/2012 5:23:47 PM with a score of 1000
It really drew me in. I feel like the character had real growth. Had to play through a few times but I finally got the epilogue!
-- Sam42 on 10/14/2019 9:58:32 PM with a score of 0
The creep factor in the story is great, this is a great game to play at night when you're home alone. all in all, I enjoyed it.
-- Sharnae on 10/9/2019 6:00:35 AM with a score of 0
It's pretty good.

Hints:

For those who're stuck and didn't gather enough evidence, try reading the diary at significant events and locations.

Try visiting and investigating every location. The church location has two encounters, once directly after school, and once on your own.

Also, you can use inventory items with each other. Try using "Investigate" on your inventory items, and try using inventory items with each other.

If you're stuck on a quiz with a series of numbers, try using "Investigate" in all 3 of the town library's sections.

If you're still stuck on the numbers, maybe it's related to a name.

SPOILERS:

Though I wonder why a mute still has a perfect speaking voice after decades of not talking.
-- carlgustav9 on 6/8/2019 5:44:46 AM with a score of 1000
Too good
-- The_L on 5/27/2019 12:32:28 AM with a score of 0
Your imagination is wild lmao
-- SpicyMonki on 5/9/2019 2:41:54 AM with a score of 0
Idk what this was but ok
-- Hydra on 4/18/2019 3:24:37 PM with a score of 50
This was great! The characters were relatable, the discriptive language was beautifully written, and the mystery was compelling. Besides a few cliches, I loved it! Definately playing again
-- no account yet :( on 2/24/2019 9:21:50 PM with a score of 0