Non-threaded

Forums » The Lounge » Read Thread

A place to sit back, hang out, and make monkey noises about anything you'd like.

Movies people say are good but aren't

9 years ago

GRAVITY:

Ok. I say it's a great movie and all, but when it gets down to it, it's literally the same thing over and over. Over and over. The trash wave swoops through, she tries desperately to hang on, cool down, trash sweeps through, tries desperately to hold on, cool down, etc. It's so repetitive. It goes up and down and down and up and-

The Princess Bride:

So I grew up thinking i'd watched the movie, grew up thinking it was a great movie (turns out I hadn't seen it but everyone else did). I read the book, read it again, bought it and read it again. So the movie comes on TV and of course I watch it.

( /OnO)/

No.

Buttercup looks like a useless idiot, which in the book, she is but only mildly, and they fall in love completely differently and the scene with miracle max was just plain annoying and they added some part at the end about how passionate their kiss was, which wasn't even in the book, and it lacked the overall charm and WESTLEY'S MUSTACHE MAKE HIM LOOK LIKE A PEDOPHILE.

I died that day.

It's the princess bride for chrisake! It's supposed to be good!

I apologies for all those childhoods I crumpled up and burned right there.

9 years ago

Shut the hell up (jk haha). Inigo Mantoya was a Jewish badass.

I thought it was a great movie.

9 years ago

"Hello! HELLO MY NAME IS INIGO MONTOYA. YOU KILLED MY FATHER. PREPARE TO DIE!"

"No-"

"Offer me money-"

"Everything," The Count said.

"Power too. Promise me that."

"All I have and more. Please."

"Offer me anything I ask for."

"Yes. Yes Say it."

"I WANT DOMINGO MOTOYA, YOU SON OF A BITCH"

It's my favorite part in the book. Can't remember if they had it in the movie.... Inigo Montoya is lake a Batman. But gotta say, Fezzik is wonderful. If you read Buttercup's Baby, you would knowwwwwwwww

9 years ago

To clarify, that bit is in the movie, but instead he says "I want my father back, you son of a bitch!" ... That guy's such a bad-ass. Kinda wanna see him and Aman have a Jewish mustache battle to the death ^_^

9 years ago
Never seen Gravity, but for people who didn't read the book "The Princess Bride" (probably most people who have seen it) thought the movie was good. It's still a good movie with many memorable scenes and actors.

9 years ago

I haven't bother watching Gravity, it looks crap.

I'll have to nominate "The Beginners" as worst film of all time

9 years ago

It's surprisingly good, but I think you have to see it in a movie theater because of the enormous screen. Unless you're rich.

9 years ago

Yeah, the visuals were prettttyyyy awesome. All the swinging and stars and it all looks so amazing on a big screen.

9 years ago

I kind of feel that way about 300. Somewhere, a history professor is crying himself to sleep.

9 years ago

^ hahahah

9 years ago

Pacific Rim is overrated.  I'll stop at there.

9 years ago

Pacific Rim isn't a movie.

It's a video game brought to big screen with generic stereotyped characters,a stupid excuse to kill stuff plot and literally one of the stupidest excuses to pull out a sword ever.

9 years ago

Yes it is.

I thought it was pretty decent, actually.

9 years ago

Movie portrayal of Divergent?

Nah, everyone knows it's shitty...

9 years ago

Oh, and almost anything based off of a book aimed at 14-year-olds.

9 years ago

http://www.dorkly.com/post/61433/teens-love-dystopia

9 years ago

Ha...That's so freaking true. Baby fight!

9 years ago

Princess Bride is one of the greats, but I have never read the book. Movies based on books are almost always infuriating to people who know better. The Hobbit is a good example. 

9 years ago

Screw you! Princess Bride was awesome! Then again, I've never read the book, so I can't compare.

If you're going on films people think are awesome, but they're actually terrible because they're really bad reflections of the book, I think the award has got to go to:

My Sister's Keeper

*Spoilers below. Highlight if you want to read.*

So, it's the tragic film about a young girl called Anna who was basically created so she could donate her blood and bone marrow for her sister Kate who has cancer. Anna is told she has to donate a kidney to Kate, but instead she hires a lawyer to sue her parents for the rights to her body, which would mean she'd never have to be a donor for her sister again, but also means her sister would die. After loads of falling out in the family, it comes out that the only reason Anna didn't want to be Kate's donor anymore is because Kate told Anna that she wants to die. In the end, Anna wins the court case and her sister Kate does die of cancer. It's a very sad and touching movie and I thought it was awesome!

Then I read the book and discovered one of the weirdest book to film adaptation fuck ups of all time... They killed off the wrong sister. In the book, Anna has just won the court case and is in a car, contemplating her own future and it's implied that she comes to the decision that she wants to donate her kidney to Kate, even though she doesn't have to. Right after that, Anna gets killed in a horrible car accident. All her organs are donated, her sister Kate gets the kidney she needs and survives.

It's a shame because I'd probably still think the movie was awesome if I didn't know how the story was supposed to end. The story of a young girl dying of cancer was really tragic, but it completely missed the point that the book was trying to make, that people were so busy focusing on one sister that they failed to realize the other sister was equally important until it was too late.

9 years ago

*reads the spoiler*

Yeah that sounds like  someone didnt like the books ending but still wanted a movie.

9 years ago

Pretty much. The author must've been pissed cheeky

9 years ago

Mama

Scary; kinda

graphics; meh

ending; yep that just ruins it

Those who have seen it may agree. 

9 years ago

I liked Del Toro's movie "the Devil's Backbone" a lot better. You should watch it.

9 years ago

Perhaps I will.

9 years ago

So far other than Princess Bride, I wasn't aware most people considered any of these movies mentioned to be good movies. (And before I get attacked by the fans, yes I liked Princess Bride and I think it's a good movie)

Like 300 gets bashed enough that I don't think most people think it's a "good movie." Even people that do like it, like it more just for the action and blood. (Or the homoeroticism)

Now something like Donnie Darko is something you always hear people raving about as the deepest movie ever and it was really just boring as all hell.

Same thing with Napoleon Dynamite or Boondocks Saints. I mean Saints was okay, but to me it doesn't really stand out as the great movie most people make it out to be. (And Napoleon just sucked and wasn't funny at all)

9 years ago

Napoleon dynamite was so dry and boring, I fell asleep watching it the first time.

9 years ago

The bigger problem for me, is I didn't see why I should be interested in the protagonist.

I get that he and his group were supposed to be the geeky underdogs that we were supposed to root for, but I would've rather just seen him getting his ass beaten and tortured to death Hostel style because he was so fucking annoying.

9 years ago

Yeah. The climax revolved around his uncle making some comments about his girlfriend's boobs. Really?

9 years ago

I second that. He needed to be destroyed... with extreme hatred.

9 years ago

Endmaster must really like that special Undead-revision of Princess Bride then. :P

9 years ago

Don't talk shit about princess bride. 

I actually met Chris Sarandon this weekend. He signed my copy of the book, and then he still had my pen, so I kinda held my hand out so he could give it back, and he looked at me and said "tell you what, we can do this," and went to fist bump me so I was like "ah, I really just wanted my pen back," and he said "oh, I wondered why you were looking longingly at my hands."

So yeah.

I agree that gravity was not nearly the cinematic tour-de-force that everyone seemed to think.

9 years ago

Who said I was talking bad? I was just mentioning that Endmaster might have been referring to the special Undead-Only edition for Necromancers.

Princess Bride is a good movie.

9 years ago

I thought he was referring to puddibunni since she was the only one that said it wasn't any good.

9 years ago

its puddle not puddi

9 years ago

Calm down belt boy.

9 years ago

Hello, my name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die...AGAIN! *Pulls out katana*

9 years ago

Oh, Gravity was a boring piece of shit. I get that the CGI was good, and I couldn't give a single crap less, more effort and work for a boring story does not validate the story itself, haha.

9 years ago

Do books count?

The fucking wizard of ozz wicked shit.

Frozen was overrated super super hard.

I loved the Matrix, but it was kinda shitty.

Avatar the movie, people who even saw one episode of the cartoon would know its super poop.

9 years ago

Yeah, I enjoyed Frozen, but really overrated (plus I was really looking forward to watching that fucking snowman melt, and then when he didn't I was really annoyed.)

As for Avatar the Last Air-Bender movie... This thread is for movies that people think are good, but aren't. I think it's universally agreed that Avatar the Last Air-Bender movie was shit cheeky

9 years ago

I enjoyed frozen. It's a different kind of Disney.

AND THE LAST AIRBENDER AAAAAUGH

for some reason it bugged me everyone was white.

9 years ago

Are you not white? Sorry, that was a little rude.

9 years ago

I'm half white, but I have nothing against white people. It's just.....well...

When I was younger, I identified Avatar with Asia. It had martial arts, Asian style houses, and the whole fire nation was practically Chinese. It's just weird that they decided to make everyone white when to me it was so obvious NOT to. Also, the casted the watery lipped kid as Ang, and I don't like that watery lipped kid. He was also in cowboys versus aliens, which, by the way, is one of the worst movies ever made.

So for me it's like casting The Memiors of a Geisha with ...well, the way they casted it (For us not-Asians, the cast is Asian, and for Japanese/Chinese, the cast is Chinese, even though it's supposed to be Japanese, so it's apparently very offensive).

9 years ago

American History X is another one that a lot of people gush over and say the movie explored racism on some deep level when all it really did was stuck to the usual cliches and defeated its own purpose due to the ending. (And a few other things)

A better movie in the same category was The Believer, but the self loathing Jewish Nazi angle probably made it a bit more interesting as far as character was concerned.

9 years ago

The Crow was the shit one of the best movies there is

9 years ago

Uhh... I don't remember anybody else mentioning The Crow.

9 years ago

Oh come on! I mean the movie was pretty cliche but the scene where he killed that black individual was so ca$h

9 years ago

Lol, well of course you'd like that scene.

Really though that's a good example of why the movie fails, most people love the curb stomp scene, I mean it probably helped popularize the term. Hell, setting aside that Edward was a skinhead, it wasn't like it was even a "hate crime", the dude was actually defending his home at the time since they were trying to steal his truck.

9 years ago

The "I forgive you, OH YEAH" scene was pretty funny to... and then there is the rape scene. The rest of the movie was not that interesting to watch. Seriously, why did his brother die at the end? Like what was the point? Not to mention how awful his murder plan was "Hey, let's go and stab the guy in a public bathroom in a school where 100ds of students could walk in any minute now". And of course the skinhead HAD to have a girlfriend

9 years ago

Only you would bring up the rape scene

9 years ago

Well, it was a "shocking" scene.

9 years ago

His brother dying at the end was probably supposed to show the cycle of hate/violence, but it sort of seemed like it would just reinforce someone's belief that "Well I was right all along."

Like I said, the movie just didn't work for me. At least in the Believer the protagonist has some truly insane troll logic to make his views entertaining.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ZRUjy1Dhx-k

9 years ago

Oh yeah the cycle. That makes sense.

9 years ago

I am Legend. I though it was the balls...up until the end. Still, people say it's one of the best movies ever. It was kinda touching, but I didn't like the main character dying senselessly like that. The alternate ending makes up for it, but it is almost impossible to find the real alternate ending.

9 years ago

That movie sucked balls

9 years ago

No it doesn't, cracka. Pretty good movie that wasyes.

9 years ago

It was boring, without explaining much about the virus or what the fuck was actually going on. I didn't give 2 shits about the woman and her son, heck the only likeable character in that movie was the dog. But all that would have been ok if it wasn't for those dark scenes. Seriously, dark scenes aren't scary, they are just painful to watch (talking about low lighting here)

9 years ago

Too much damn light in that movie. Would've been better if Will Smith would have ate and stomped on crackers (Talking about the edible food here)

9 years ago

The alternate ending made up for it big time. The only reason the movie sucked was because of the official "Gotta blow up some shit" ending. The alternate ending actually made me tear up a little. And I usually don't cry when it comes to movies, music, etc.

9 years ago

Alternate ending was retarded.

I was thinking.

"Why didn't he just like, get in the hole thing and chuck the grenade out"

9 years ago

That was the original ending where he chunked the grenade. And he supposedly did it because he didn't really have any other reason to live besides creating the cure...after you know, his family and his dog died.

9 years ago

I agree with James. I don't think that he wanted to live anymore since his child and wife died. Let alone the dog too. He wanted to create the cure so other families wouldn't have to go through the same thing that he did. Once he made the cure, he was ready to die. At least, that's what I think.

9 years ago

Agree 100% that Gravity is boring movie.

9 years ago

The whole f*cking reason the story is called "I am Legend" is because it's supposed to end with the "vampire" people being the new humans, and Will Smith's character being the freaky monster they tell their kids scary stories about.

Frozen, also not as awesome as everyone seems to act like it is.  It was decent, but for a little while at the beginning I thought it might be really good.

9 years ago

Despicable Me. 

My god, I've come to really detest my classmates acting like they have a seizure during class and yelling, "BA-NA-NA" because of those damn minions. Aggravating, and interferes with class.

Didn't think RDJ's Sherlock Holmes was that good either. Didn't like it.

9 years ago

Dark Knight was a bit over rated

9 years ago

Classmates? 

9 years ago

Uh, yes? :P (Though I suppose schoolmates would be a better term, possibly)

9 years ago

I've come to imagine you as a old man with red rim glasses, and now you come out and shout classmates at me? 

9 years ago

Older gents can go back to schooling if they want :P

But no, as Delta will happily declare, I am in fact (newly turned) 14 haha.

9 years ago
Living for 14 years... and you already look like an old man! Were you born with that beard?

9 years ago

I thought he didn't act the age his profile picture proclaimed to be. 

9 years ago

You're a teenaged jew? Does that make you a jewnager? 0_o

9 years ago

Oh I loved Sherlock Holmes. That was a badass series of movies.

9 years ago

I liked the RDJ films and the BBC series. Haven't watched elementary.

9 years ago

I rather liked Sherlock Holmes. I found it clever and it had this attractively stylish element about it.

9 years ago

The BBC Sherlock Holmes is so much better, but Downey Jr. does a good job.

9 years ago

I agree, dunno what was so funny about Despicable Me. But hey, at least we got Minion Rush out of it

9 years ago

:P

9 years ago