Non-threaded

Forums » The Lounge » Read Thread

A place to sit back, hang out, and make monkey noises about anything you'd like.

Languages

8 years ago

XD is he not a native English speaker? Don't think I've ever heard anyone phrase it as "coauthor at your storygame."

Love his bold capitalization choices: nothing but the second "t" of TacocaT, and the word "Good." Perhaps he's emphasizing just how Good he is at grammar grammer and spelling(s?)

I admire his confidence, if not his facility with the English language. 

(Freely admitting here that any ESL site members are far better at English than I am at whatever language they speak. Just, y'know, 1) I'm not claiming to be good at other languages, and 2) ain't nobody better than me at English XD.)

Languages

8 years ago

I assumed English was not his first language and I asked him, but he says English IS his first language and he's pretty confident in it, too.

Languages

8 years ago

It seems that the spidey giy will never learn. English isn't my first language either.

Languages

8 years ago
Wha-? If you don't mind my asking, what is your first language?

Languages

8 years ago

It's funny how many people think I'm American. I will never tell you my national language.

Languages

8 years ago

Is it non-Indo-European?

Languages

8 years ago

You'll never know.

Languages

8 years ago

Japanese.

French.

Spanish.

Something Central American-ish.

Russian.

German.

#EveryOtherLanguage

Languages

8 years ago

I speak two language. My national language and American English.

Languages

8 years ago
I am going out on a limb and guessing that your national language is in the Slavic family of languages.

Languages

8 years ago

Why would you think of that?

Languages

8 years ago
Because I can't help but read your posts in a Russian accent?

Languages

8 years ago

I ain't Russian. XD

Hint: My country's special force use the HK416

Languages

8 years ago

German?

Languages

8 years ago

I figured you were either Australian or Serbian.

Polish would be my third guess.

Languages

8 years ago

Why would you figure that I'm Australian? I use American English. Also, I switch my accent to American whenever I want to speak in English.

Being a firearms nut and speak in American accent doesn't mean I'm 'Murican. You'll never know my nationality. My RP characters and my storygame characters came from various of countries.

Languages

8 years ago

Bangladesh?

@Raven47

Languages

8 years ago

Nope.

Languages

8 years ago

Dammit!

Languages

8 years ago

The Australian thing came to mind, because sometimes I get you confused with Delta, who is Australian and also uses a lot of female anime avatars.

Languages

8 years ago

Both of us like female anime characters. In RP, I'll be making a lot of female characters too. My story game has a female character as the main protagonist. But later on, the main protagonist will change to special forces soldiers.

Languages

8 years ago

Albanian? Malaysian? British? Danish?

Languages

8 years ago

Nope.

Languages

8 years ago
Is your country a Scandinavian country?

Languages

8 years ago

Nuh-uh

Languages

8 years ago
I see. That leaves Turkey and a few Asian countries.

Languages

8 years ago

I ain't telling you my nationality or language. That's why I answer with a no every single time!

Languages

8 years ago

Why not? We're not going to stalk you to death.

Languages

8 years ago

Says you.

Languages

8 years ago

Oh come one, it's not like we'll know where you exactly live. I said my nationality and language to the people here and so far I got no stalkers that I know of.

Languages

8 years ago

It remains as a mystery, hehehe. :P

Languages

8 years ago

" English isn't my first language either."

English is Bevan's first language. Well, that's what he told me, anyway. I also assumed he was young, but from what he told me, he's older than Taco ...

Languages

8 years ago

But his grammar and spelling sucked. He's not making any improvement.

Languages

8 years ago

>_> I'm aware.

After talking to him via PM, it's become evident that he is a terrible listener.

Languages

8 years ago

Hablo espanol muy poco. Que idiomas hablas?

Languages

8 years ago

Do constructed languages count?

Languages

8 years ago

I tried learning Esperanto once. Kinda lost interest though.

Languages

8 years ago

I've tried creating a language of my own. And it's not that I've abandoned it completely, but I think it's a bit hard to maintain interest in something that may not be too practical in the first place.

Languages

8 years ago

... Well on the plus side, if you pronounce something wrong, no one will ever know. ^_^

Languages

8 years ago

@BradinDvorak you conlang? That's awesome. Me too. ^_^

I think Sentinel does also, but I've not discussed it with him.

I'm less about one-and-only-one language of encyclopedic depth, more about oh-what-if-pronouns-indicated-the-speakers-relation-to-the-thing-being-discussed; wait, wait, can-I-male-two-languages-like-how-Normans-and-Saxons-interacted; wait, I had another idea. . . XD 

Languages

8 years ago

Yeah; that's the thing. For all the ideas I can come up with, there's no way to fit them all into one language and despite my telling myself to focus on one, I inevitably end up starting something new. I suppose, though, that a number of linguistic journeys can be better than a single destination.

Languages

8 years ago
There's a word for creating your own language?

Languages

8 years ago

Yeah. Constructing a language is known as conlanging.

Languages

8 years ago
Huh. I've tried that. Creating words is easy; coming up with syntax and all that is hard as hell, though.

Languages

8 years ago

Yeah, it's not just making up a bunch of words that mirror English. There's considering what the phonology of your language is, considering the culture of the conlang speakers, there's building relationships between related words, inventing idioms, writing systems, all kinds of fun. ^_^

Languages

8 years ago
I know that, haha.

Languages

8 years ago

Didn't mean to imply you didn't. XD  Just excited about linguistics.  

Languages

8 years ago
I know a little Irish Gaelic.

Languages

8 years ago

Oh, to be sure, to be sure! ^_^

Languages

8 years ago
Huh?

Languages

8 years ago

Languages

8 years ago

First time I see an admin copy pasting posts.

Languages

8 years ago

First time I see an admin copy pasting posts.

Languages

8 years ago

^v^

Languages

8 years ago

And that's the second post an admin copy-pasted... :P

Languages

8 years ago

Wait...is the OP here Seth or someone else?

Languages

8 years ago
It was moved. Kiel was talking about Bevan's PMs to him.

Languages

8 years ago

Seth is OP & he also moved it, since he derailed his own thread. Draw My Attention works better if its mostly suggestions/responses- stuff gets buried under side digressions.

Languages

8 years ago

*Raises hand* Does it count if I can speak Klingon?

Languages

8 years ago

HIja'.

...Unless if, like me, this is the only word you know.

Languages

8 years ago

tlhIngan nIvbogh vISov.

Languages

8 years ago

In that case, uh... HIja'.

Languages

8 years ago

I speak Finnish. If anyone cares...

Languages

8 years ago

I care! I assume you're a native speaker? I've heard nordic languages are rather hard to learn.

Languages

8 years ago

Native. I also hear that all the time. But the scandinavian languages like Swedish, Danish, Norwegian, Sound almost the same to me.

But Finnish is easy to me. every word is pronounced like it's written. There are no crazy rules like in English that like: 'E' is pronounced E on its own, but in 'There', it's pronounced differently. We don't do that in Finnish.

Estonian sounds like gibberish to me. It's so similar, yet it makes no sense if you can't speak it.

Languages

8 years ago

Ah, Rosetail, that's awesome!  Have you also spoken English for a long time?  

Languages

8 years ago

Mmm. Let me think...Well I knew some English words before I had English class. I guess that on second grade I could speak some sort of English. Than came third grade and completed the holes...

In total I'd say four or five years. Well I pronounce stuff bad, but I can write good English. I really only speak English aloud when I'm on vacation in another country.

Languages

8 years ago
It seems all the other Warriors fans are native English speakers, but they write terribly, and you aren't, but you write at least ten times better. Also, that's pretty impressive. My native language is Russian.